Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / The Wednesday-Thursday-Friday Daily!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-20 11:30 AM
Wow!  No daily since Tuesday!  What's going on?????

You know what to do, tell us about your run, workout, interesting food an d/or drinks, blather, etc.

Bonus:  Have two days of your life ever passed by and you didn't realize it?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-20 11:44 AM
OK, someone has to start.

Wednesday & Thursday I taught indoor cycling class "off the bike" as a sort of pre-surgery taper :meh:  Today I swam 1600 meters.

Blather:  I'm waiting for the 2:00 - 6:00pm window for the hospital scheduling department to call and tell me what time my surgery is on Monday.  The literature says I can call after 2:00pm if I don't want to wait for the call.  If I don't hear from them by 3:00 I may do that.

Everyone quitting!   When I got home from the gym I had an email my boss (group exercise coordinator) sent to all of us telling us she's stepping down from the position at the end of the month.  :cry:   She's been really good for the last ~4 years but I knew this would be coming sooner or later as she's back in school working to be a registered dietitian. She'll still teach some classes & train clients but we'll need to break in a new person.

Also, I read a post from a college roommate who is leaving his job as president/CEO of the Chamber of Commerce in Charlottesville, VA.  I guess he decided 16 years and age 65 made it time for a new venture.

Bonus:  Fortunately no!  Portions of some weekend nights while I was in college yes but not any complete days!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-20 2:12 PM
I hope you find out soon!  Good luck with everything!!

One of my friends just reached 65 and retired.  She said it was the health insurance that kept her hanging on.  She was a respiratory therapist and I know she will be missed at her hospital.  OTOH, she's scheduled so many trips and things since her stop date, I doubt she'll ever second-guess retiring :happy:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-20 2:34 PM
Thanks!  I did get the call a bit after 3:00pm.  I now know one of the factors for going home on Monday (same day).  Since they are having me report to the hospital at 4:30am :shocker!:  :cry: on Monday with surgery about 2 hours later, being scheduled too late in the day will not be an issue!  How I recover from the anesthesia, level of pain and the assessment by the OT, PT or both types of how I'm moving remain TBD after surgery.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-10-20 9:06 PM
it'll be great to get the surgery done and on the way to recovery. :happy::hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-21 2:43 PM
I am excited for you to ge the surgery done!
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-20 12:18 PM
Things have been plugging along.  Only one trip to the middle school this week - for NJHS induction.

I "ran" MWF this week.  Wednesday it was cool enough that my hands were cold for the first mile.   By this morning, nothing was cold.

I had a big project milestone review on Wednesday, the kind of thing where the audience is a lot broader than normal, so you never know what kind of question you might get.  This time I got NONE.  I talked for 20 minutes and no one said a word.  I'm taking that as a good sign.

Bonus:  I had a bad car wreck when I was in college, and was out for quite some time, but I couldn't tell you how long.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-20 2:16 PM
Congratulations on your NJHS conductee :cool:  and a successful presentation :blush:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-21 2:46 PM
To me, the best thing about NJHS, which carries over to high school, was the amount of service hours the kids were required to do. They get in such a habit of "having" to do service, that by the time they graduate HS, doing community service is something which is a habit.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-20 1:51 PM Edited 2017-10-20 1:53 PM
Excuses:  I had started the Monday thread and Wednesday was SDO and I couldn't think of anything to contribute.  Thursday :mutmad::mutmad: I was in a bad-ass mood, which leads to blather: 

I literally had a run-in with two dogs in the last mile of my 8-miler on Thursday.  I don't know how I didn't see them.  The sun was at my back and all of the sudden there was a big stupid sheep dog and a black lab right in front of me.  They weren't growling, but they were circling me and then then the sheep dog jumped on me several times and got both of my arms to different degrees :shocker!:  I was doing my giant voice  "STAY!  SIT!  BAD DOG! " routine, but didn't change anything.  There were houses all around, and I hollered, both in Spanish and in English for some help.  After a long while an Anglo woman came out, stayed on her porch and told me from which house the dog came, so I went to that house with the dogs still surrounding me, and banged on the door.  While I was waiting for someone to answer, a car pulled into the driveway and the dog's owner got out and pulled the sheep dog off of me.  By then both of my arms were bleeding and I was furious.  She spoke only Spanish, but assured me first that she was very sorry and then when I asked about vaccines, she said they were up to date.  The dog's abdomen had been shaved, making it look like it'd had surgery recently, so I believed her.  Also, just to be clear, when she saw me, I was at her front door.  I explained that I was running in the street when this happened, and I told her I was very angry and left.  I had to run by the security gate at the front of the community on my way back to our house, and I stopped and ranted at the guards for a couple of minutes.  When they asked where the incident happened, I pointed behind me and one of them asked "was it a grey and white dog?"  I'm just :wtf: So you know about this damn dog already?

Actually, I wasn't hurt too badly.  One puncture is noticeable, the other two are nearly gone just 24 hours later.  We put some a butterfly strip on it and keep dousing it in triple antibiotic ointment.  It looks like it will be fine, and I'm grateful.  I'm more shaken because I didn't see the danger until it was literally right on me.  Loose dogs are annoying, but not terribly uncommon here.  In the past when I've seen one, I just turn around.  This time I was completely surprised and unprepared. 

This training cycle so far has had one fractured arm, one sprained ankle and one dog bite.  All of them could have been much worse, but what the actual hell?  

Bonus:  I had a bike crash in 1976 that I totally deserved because I was stupid enough to ride my bike barefoot and got my toe caught in the chain.  Definitely had a concussion.   Hmmmm.  Looks like we're seeing a pattern here.  :meh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-20 2:35 PM
So sorry about the dog attack!  That's just not right for people to leave them loose!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-10-20 9:06 PM
:shocker!::cry::mutmad: i think you've hit your quota for this training cycle. :sad:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-21 2:41 PM
Yikes! That is crazy about the dogs!
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-10-20 2:49 PM
Runs of 6.8, 6.5, and 5.0 miles the past few days.

Grilled shrimp tacos for dinner one night, ribeye steak another night. Date tonight:cool:.

Bonus: The longest I’ve ever been unconscious is maybe a few hours under general anesthesia.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-21 2:41 PM
I had grilled shrimp tacos on Friday and they wee delicious!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-10-20 9:04 PM Edited 2017-10-20 9:07 PM
hi ed! too much going on and most of it good so that's great!

still hacking a bit but otherwise feeling good. weather has changed here all of a sudden. Yesterday i ran twice. I planned a tempo run in the morning but we'd gotten so much rain that there were giant lakes along teh street. As i was trying to get around a huge puddle, i stepped into a hole and fell over. :roll::mutmad: Scraped my knee good. I was walking at that point too! :laugh::mutmad: we'd had a lot of wind so there was a lot of debris down. i wisely decided to bump workout to the evening and had  a really nice tempo run with someone. it did start pouring during the run but that was ok!

need to finish up clearing out basement for sewer replacement work which will start next week. sadly, we'd hoped to put a second toilet in at the same time but can't get the company to work with us. they will only work with our contractor. :meh: Do you think i could show a contractor number? :mischief::wink::wtf: seriously, it's only plumbing. not rocket science.

we had a pride event at work. these giant purple frosted sugar cookies showed up. i've had too many. :meh: they are so good! :roll::grin:

bonus: no!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-21 2:43 PM
Clearing out a basement is always seething I dreaded.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-21 2:55 PM
Pool running all three days.....I think it was 60 minutes on Wednesday, 90 on Thursday and 65 on Friday. I also went to boxing class Wednesday & Thursday. My trainer is coming up with some customized things for me to do when the class is doing activities I am unable to do yet. He really is the best!:hug:

I had some great shrimp tacos on Friday, but nothing else stands out in my mind. Friday, we went to visit Blazergirl at school and finally went to the brewery located in College Station. It is kinda in the boonies and difficult to find, but lots of fun. Open air, picnic tables, kids & dogs wandering around. The had one EXTRAORDINARILY great beer.....an imperial stout, two which were better than average.....a passion fruit IPA and a pale ale which was created by the priest at blazergirl's church....the Ale Mary:laugh:......and some not so good beers.

Blather: this is the first time we are seeing the apartment she and her BFF chose to live in this year. All I can say is there are shittier places around near campus. :roll: Not many, but this is not the worst. The girls indicated everyone who lives here are "chill" and it is quiet.

Bonus: nope
Up Topic Training / Marathons / The Wednesday-Thursday-Friday Daily!