Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Concert Nightmare Mondaily
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 8:23 AM
Happy Monday, everyone!  Let's hear about your weekend, your workouts and then how about a story about a concert that was, for whatever reason, a big disappointment.  Spare no details. 

Bonus:  if you could "just do it," what performance talent would you want to have?  Singing, dancing, guitar, tuba?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-16 8:37 AM
My weekend of workouts was just swimming 1000 meters yesterday...unless I can count cutting my grass on Saturday :roll:

This morning I taught cycling class and did core & shoulder exercises afterwards.  I have 2 more classes to teach this week but plan to teach them off the bike to "taper" for next Monday.

A year or so after college two college friends and I went to hangout with another college friend in Troy, NY for a weekend.  While I didn't appreciate the band, they were "Dead Heads" and it happened that the Grateful Dead's "sidekick" band, the New Riders of the Purple Sage had a concert in Troy that weekend.  So, the guy we were visiting picked up tickets for us.  We thought the concert was on Saturday night but it turned out to be Sunday night and we all needed to be back in the NYC/North Jersey area bright & early on Monday morning for work!  It was a long drive home, leaving after 11:00PM, dropping the other two guys off in NYC and I finally got home around 2:30am.  : pbbt:  At my desk by 7:30am Monday morning :cry:

Bonus:  I'd like to be able to play guitar.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:47 PM
You can count cutting grass.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:11 PM
That was my last grass cut before surgery.  The grass is growing slower now & is in "cut every 2 week" mode but the leaves are falling like crazy!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 3:28 PM
oh wow!  You can only pull off late nights like that a couple of times in your life :shocker!:

Good luck going into your taper.  I hadn't thought of that as a part of hip replacement prep.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:09 PM
I got a call from a nurse navigator from the hospital this afternoon.  She was very helpful!  I mentioned being retired with a 3 hour/week gig teaching spinning & she asked if I was still teaching :laugh:  I told her my taper plan & she approved of today being the last actual class I'd do the actual ride.  She also thought my return after 4 weeks, teaching off the bike until they clear me for more advanced stuff was also ok.  Then she told me her maiden name is the same as my last name & we even pronounce it the same :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:39 PM
Ed, you get honorary Deadhead status for that concert (and doing the driving)!:laugh:
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-16 8:58 AM
Hmm, weekend ... 

Saturday was busy.  Swim meet in the morning, played in a golf tournament in the afternoon, took LittleTex and friend to a college volleyball game at night.   All three were generally successful, though LittleTex was not happy with her progress toward her very aggressive goals.  I played very well (for me) in the golf tournament and won enough to cover my entry - can't ask for much more than that.  The volleyball game was very interesting.  This was my first time, though we live within walking distance of the gym.  Our next door neighbor had given us his season ticket down on the floor, so one of us (me) got to sit right next to the court.  I was blown away by the athleticism of these women.  It doesn't come across on television or from a distance just how fast and coordinated they are, and how ferociously they spike the ball.

Sunday was quieter - more swim meet, lunch with a friend who is in town for the music festival, and lots of homework support.

And it got cool!  This morning's run temperature was in the high 50s, which may have improved the pace a bit.

Oh yeah, the story.  Once when I was a senior in high school a bunch of us drove down to Houston for a big concert.  I don't remember all the bands, but 38 Special was one of them.  On the drive down we heard on the radio that the concert was cancelled.  But we kept on going anyway and ended up just sitting in a hotel room - I think there were about 6 of us.  I remember that I was delegated to go out for food.  I don't know if anyone is familiar with Houston, but I left the hotel (by the Astrodome, which is in the middle of the south loop) and got on the loop freeway thinking I would just see some fast food place.  But I made the mistake of going East instead of West.  So, instead of shopping malls and subdivisions, I got 20 mile of ship channel and oil refineries.  I finally ended up running into one of the N-S freeways all the way around on the other side and taking it back to the center of town before I spotted a Burger King.  It took well over an hour for that burger run.

BONUS:  I would be happy just to be able to play piano.  Dancing would have been useful in my younger days, but not so much now.
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-16 11:11 AM
Oh, I forgot.  Another good thing from this weekend was the Astros going up 2-0 on those damn Yankees.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-16 11:52 AM
Very cool about the college vball game! Is LittleTex going to continue with vball?

Fall in Texas in October? :shocker!::cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:47 PM
I bet the other bands were Scandal and Night Ranger....they all seem to be the same thing!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 4:27 PM
What a nightmare driving through all the tank farms and no GPS to help you out ! :cry:

oh yeah, ACL this weekend, right?  I asked DS if he was going to get some Uber gigs while his wife worked this weekend, and he said traffic is so bad during that time, it's impossible to make much money.  It was good of you to open your home.  Hopefully you didn't have to drive.  :roll:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-16 9:14 AM
The weekend was pretty non-stop. Long run Saturday morning then came home and dug some holes so my wife could plant some things (funny, I got the holes done but the plants did not get into the holes) then off to do 2 soccer games, then a quick shower before we hit a local beer festival. That was fun but we had all of the things I really wanted to taste so we left after a few hours. Sunday was church, and more soccer games before we had some folks over for dinner. There were some younger kids so we had a chance to let them play with some of the old toys we had hung onto and which they enjoyed very much.

10 miles this morning rehashing everyone's weekend. I had checked the weather and knew it was going to be pretty close with some incoming rain so I threw on a hat. With about a mile to go in our run it dumped rain on us so the hat was a good call. There were puddles almost immediately since it was raining so hard so it was impossible to not run in the puddles so we just had fun splashing each other as we finished up. It was about 70 degrees out so the rain felt really good at that point.

Not really a disappointment since we took a chance but we recently went to a concert with 4 chamber groups competing for an award and only one group was worthy of winning. One group was so far out there that you could barely call what they were doing as music. One piece was ear-splitting noise.

Bonus: I'd love to learn to play the guitar.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:44 PM
And I bet you will have to re-dig those holes!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 4:29 PM
Why did you dig those holes in the wrong place, Rick?  Why? 

One advantage of getting soaked is not having to puddle-jump any more :grin:  Good job getting in the miles!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:45 PM
Was the ear splitting noise intentional? Maybe they were going for a "Four Minutes of Silence" avant-garde thing?: pbbt:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-16 10:08 AM
The only concert nightmare I can think if are my middle school choir concerts. :laugh: God bless my parents for putting up with those! :laugh::laugh:

My weekend was challenging but it's ending well. :grin: I am finishing up my visit with my parents in VA. When I got here Friday, my mom wasn't moving too well and was still in significant pain from her hip surgery. She was taking pain meds (norco :shocker!:) every 4 hours, even getting up in the middle of the night to take it. But throughout the weekend her pain level subsided so we decided to see how long she could go without a pain pill, and she made it to 7 hours! :grin: The only reason she took one is that her physical therapist is coming soon and she is kind of scared that the physical therapist will hurt her. I have helped her do her PT 2x per day while I've been here, and I've made her do laps around the inside of the house too. She is actually in WAY better shape than I had anticipated she would be by now, and I feel comfortable leaving her here with just my dad since her pain level has decreased so much. She's getting around well with her walker, and her balance is good, and I am just so ridiculously relived at how well she's doing that I would be giddy if I weren't so sleep deprived. : pbbt: It's been a challenge dealing with Mom's mood swings and desire to be better NOW and Dad's giving in to everything Mom wants (whereas I made Mom get up to get her meds instead of bringing them to her), but I am glad that I was down here to help. My dad has a bum knee so it's hard for him to get around, but I think now that Mom is more mobile it will be ok for me to leave. Dad is next, once Mom is 100%, Dad has to get his knee replaced! So we will get to do this all over again and then I can be a pain in his ass. :hug:

The crappy part of my weekend was that when I went to go running, I discovered that I had left my orthotics in NJ. :cry::laugh: So I still haven't run since the marathon last Sunday and I REALLY need a run to de-stress, but it will have to wait till tomorrow morning.

Bonus: I wish I could play the guitar well. I took lessons as a kid, then picked it up again as an adult, twice, but I totally suck at it. I want to pick it up again (again :roll:) because I do enjoy it even though I'm so terrible. I can never get the one hand to do one thing and the other hand to do another thing. I have to think about it too much. I know it comes with practice, but I am impatient. : pbbt: Runs in the family I guess.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:43 PM
Good news about your mom's status!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 4:32 PM
I am just so ridiculously relived at how well she's doing that I would be giddy if I weren't so sleep deprived.   Hope you're able to catch up on your rest, especially now that you've helped your mom get started on her recovery :hug:  Ya' done good, kid :cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:16 PM
Glad things went/are still going well for your mom! 

Hey, now that you're experienced in assisting hip replacement patients...South Jersey is between VA and North Jersey :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:47 PM
First your mom, then your dad, you will be one busy daughter!:shocker!:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 10:20 AM
Weekend was good.  Taper is on.  Today's dewpoint was 30 degrees lower than yesterday's :shocker!:  Yesterday after church, we drove to a new park that opened this weekend.  It's a long way away from where we live but a super-nice facility.  It has easily 5 miles of paved paths and some nice, safe surrounding neighborhoods, so it's a mark in the plus column for the running community :cool:  Today's run was in the 'hood as usual.  The cooler air was a treat! 

So you may have guess I went to a concert last night :roll:  It was so bad.  So very bad.  I take partial responsibility because by now I should know better than to expect much from a free concert.  When DD was in Maryland, her band director charged admission to the school concerts, not because the department needed the money but because he said the audience was better behaved when they had to consciously pay money and buy a ticket.  I had forgotten that point until my neighbor and I got to the McAllen public library last night.  There were tons of people and lots and lots of kids.  Don't get me wrong.  It's fine to bring kids to concerts.  It's good.  But when they are at a concert they need to sit and not run back and forth in front of the performing musicians.  They should not talk during the performance.  If they cry, they should be removed.   They should put their cell phones away.  Actually, adult members of the audience should put their cell phones away, too.  They should not record the performance.  If they do record the performance, they should not start playing back the recording while the live performance is still in progress :roll:  As the night wore on, I reached the point where I wondered why no one had yet wondered in with a dog or popped open a beer :wtf:

Now I understand that not everyone knows that the audience is supposed to hold applause until the end of a multi-movement piece.  But a prof from the university gave a nice introduction before the concert and specifically explained that to the audience.  He also pointed out that the printed program had little icons indicating where applause would be appropriate.  The signage made no difference at all.  People clapped at the end of absolutely every movement.  Every one.  The performers were visibly rattled. 

And now the performers themselves.  I give them leeway because they were the risk-takers here.  They offered the best they had and I was glad to have a chance to hear their efforts.  Even so, it would have been much more enjoyable if they had been better tuned.  This was chamber music, so if any note was off, it was very exposed.  To add to the pain, every single part of the music was repeated, so whatever the musicians missed on the first time around, we got to listen and see if they could clean it up the next time through :cry:  I know I sound terrible being so crabby about it all, but please believe me, my expectations weren't all that high going in.  It was that astonishingly bad. 

Bonus:  I would like to take piano lessons again.  I think it would be a lot more fun now.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:43 PM
We sometime sneak in roadies to the concerts at AHS, but never a dog.:laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 4:51 PM
You were raised right :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:55 PM
Your story reminds me of an actress friend who was performing some Shakespeare play with a traveling theater group, and when they performed in front of an audience that was 80% high school students, the brats kept shining those red dot laser pointers at the actors' butts.:roll: But, someday my friend will laugh about it- I'm laughing now!: pbbt:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-10-16 10:51 AM
hmm. I feel pretty lucky to have access to a lot of good music, and then there are the recitals that I attend as a parent which are wonderful for other reasons.
But there is a hippy-dippy store in my neighborhood that has open mic virtually every weekend, and some of the performers are just...:meh: Not great, but not terrible.

run today 6.8 miles.

We went to the state fair yesterday. N loves it, and we get there at 10 when it opens, so it isn't that bad, but it gets crowded pretty fast. And I will never understand the appeal-I kind of understand why my 5 year old likes it: rides, crappy food, animals, and prizes. But I just don't get the level of excitement I see around it.

Bonus probably play an instrument. Any instrument is fine, but let's say Harp. Because I am so angelic.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-16 11:56 AM
:halo:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:28 PM
If I live the last 40-50 years of my life in Texas, I fully expect I will never go the State Fair. (Even though EVERYONE says you HAVE to go at least once.)
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:52 PM
No. You do not. It sucks.

If I didn't have a small child who sees that ferris wheel all year and just loves to ride it I probably wouldn't. Timing it when most Texans are at church helps, because at least then we can do some things fast.
I don't really like that kids get a day off from school for the fair, it is another weekday with no school where I need to scramble. I have been there 3 times, each time I have seen people entering with guns-the reason that I go with N (rather than have her go with friends) is that I am so scared there will be some kind of incident and she will be there without me or her dad.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 3:41 PM
I think they call it "Fair Day" out of tradition, not necessarily so the kids can go to the fair.  The teachers are supposed to have a certain number of "in-service" days, and in at least Allen and Plano, I know Columbus Day is used in that manner.....kids are out and teachers do their required training. Blazerboy went this year on his "Fair Day" because he didn't need to rely on me to take him.  He and his friends took the train down.  He said he has no desire to go again.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 4:45 PM
the recitals that I attend as a parent which are wonderful for other reasons.  those are the best!!

Great choice on the harp!! :halo:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-16 11:36 AM
I saw the Fixx at some little club near Hollywood when I lived out in LA. I was a big fan of their music, but this was sort of at the tail end of their best days. The sound and acoustics in the place were horrible, or so I thought, until they cranked out some of their older tunes. I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars. Sammy Hagar and Boston in 78' ranks up their as being disappointing but mostly because some asshat that went with us puked during the show.

Weekend: Golf on Saturday, followed by lawn mowing and yard work. Golf game was subpar, but not in the literal sense. Too many 3 putts wore me down. Also, watched the Buckeyes kick some serious butt over Nebraska. Their real season starts in 2 weeks.  I ran 3 yesterday, well should I say trail jogged 3, then went on a little kayak trip up the old Schuylkill River canal and then down the river. Was hoping for some fall color but still mostly green and brown.

Workout: No run today. Just some walking and need to do some stuff in the yard. It's going to get cold tonight, maybe not frost cold, but close. So I need to dig up and pot half a dozen tropical plants we have out in the gardens and get them in their basement winter home.

Bonus: Let me give you some advice young man, you'd better learn to play guitar.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:42 PM
The boy REALLY wanted to learn guitar, but he is horrible.  Good thing chicks dig singers.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 4:48 PM
Too bad you couldn't have the subpar round of golf you had wanted. 

You are bringing in your plants.  I'm setting mine out again because the highs aren't supposed to reach 100 on a regular basis any more :roll:
Parent - - By AgelessDave Date 2017-10-16 1:03 PM
Thought I would drop by runango and, by chance, I saw a daily that is very applicable to my life last week....my wife and I and a couple of friends went down to Nashville last week (Wednesday-Sunday) and had an incredible time.......that town totally surprised me with what they had to offer......I completely understand why Nashville is labeled 'music city'.....we spent most of our time just walking up and down in the crowds along Broadway and hopping in and out of bars to listen to the music....I saw a band in one of the classic Nashville bars, 'Roberts', that was incredible....the band had a 17 year old amazing guitarist and an upright bass player that were truly incredible.....we also saw some young singers in the various bars that were really impressive.....I was very impressed with the three level bars with different bands playing on each level....and, to top it off, my wife and her friend bought some nice leather boots for a good price (buy 1 pair get two additional pairs for free).....we also spent a little bit of time doing old people things and toured a couple of plantations (belle meade and the hermitage).....it was a really good time and I highly recommend a trip to Nashville to anyone that likes to see live music (and the fact that there are no cover charges is just an added bonus (the bands all play for tips))......sorry this wasn't a disappointment story but it was music related....

running: didn't happen on the trip as the first day I seem to have strained a muscle that didn't let me keep running......

bonus: I would like to be able to sing...
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:31 PM
When we were in Nashville last fall for my 50 miler, we had a great time, but didn't have the opportunity to do nearly everything we wanted to do.  I was also totally blown away by the bars we went into with so many bands playing and how great the music was. We plan on going back soon with both kids.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:32 PM
sorry you can't run, but it's great to hear from you!  my cousin moved to nashville recently & absolutely loves it for a lot of the reasons you gave :cool:  Every once in a while she posts a shameless selfie from a restaurant with some famous singer at the table next to her :roll::blush:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-16 1:40 PM
Volunteered at packet pickup for a local half marathon both Friday night and Saturday morning.  Saw lots of friends and local runners which was fun.  The fact it was hot and stanky Saturday morning helped take the sting out of the fact I volunteered and could not run.  Hung out with friends most of the weekend.  Pool running all weekend.....100 minutes Saturday, 120 minutes Sunday and 90 minutes this morning.  PT is REALLY helping me with my recovery....who knew?  I'm optimistic I will be strong-like-bull in a month when I get back on the road.  Will go to boxing class tonight, do what I am able in class and lift.   

Worst concert was basically any concert I had to attend when the kids were in elementary school.  Even if one of my kids was a soloist, listening to them sing was never worth sitting through those things. 

Bonus:  I wish my piano skills were better than "not quite the worst" my piano teacher ever experienced.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 4:50 PM
If there were ever a good time to miss racing, I think this past weekend qualifies. 

You are going to be a real badass by the time you get back to running.    Strong-like-bull :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-17 7:29 AM
:grin: great news about the PT!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-16 5:35 PM
Hey there! It was a busy weekend, with an incident that still has my adrenaline pumping. A friend and I went into Central Park on Saturday to do our last 20 miler for this cycle.It wasn't hot, just warm, but very humid. After one loop (about 6 miles), we came out of a bathroom in the middle of the park and saw a big group of people screaming and trying to hold back a big pit bull. The pit had a small dog, looked like a Yorkie, maybe 12 lbs or so, in its mouth. Jaws completely clamped down. The pit's owner was on top of it trying to get it to release the small dog, and other people were kicking at its face and screaming.:shocker!: It was horrifying. I always freeze in those situations, but then I remembered something Isabella had told me a few years before, about how pulling both hind legs of a dog straight up gets it to release the jaw, and release whatever's in the throat- kind of a doggie Heimlich that can also be used when two dogs are fighting. So I ran over to the pit's hind legs and pulled really hard-- and dang, the pit dropped the small dog!! Everyone was pretty stunned, and I was like, "Holy crap, it worked!":roll: But the little dog was just lying there. It was alive, but in shock. Its eyes were moving, and it had a big scrape on its neck but no blood was gushing. People helped the owner carry it off, presumably to a vet. And I finished my run with my friend. I hope the little dog was ok, it may have had compression injuries that caused nerve damage. It happened Saturday and I'm still all shaken up about it. Oh, and Isabella was very happy when I told her she helped save the dog because if she hadn't told me about the doggie Heimlich all those years ago, I wouldn't have known.

Not a concert, but an opera at the Met about 20 years ago. Russian, Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress. The set was ultra-modern and minimalist; I wasn't a fan. At intermission, I started chatting with the woman next to me and she was a critic from some Toronto newspaper. I told her the opera was a cross between Star Trek and Fiddler on the Roof, and she asked if she could use that line in her review!:laugh: Then Philip and I left before the show resumed because...:roll:

Bonus: Singing. My voice makes dogs howl from miles away, I've always wished I could hold a tune.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-16 7:04 PM
Your pit bull story :shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:  Holy shit!!  I've always thought you were a gutsy woman, but my admiration has now reached a whole new level.  Thank you for keeping a level head and taking action that we all hope saved that pup's life.   Aside from that trauma, how was the 20-miler?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-16 8:08 PM
Not gutsy. :laugh: Too tired to think straight.:roll: I figured there were enough other people near the pit’s mouth that it would bite them, not me, but I was thinking about what to do if it did bite. Fortunately, the pit didn’t seem aggressive towards people. I think it had a strong prey drive and went after the small dog as it would a rabbit. :sad:

The 20 miler was pretty good! Pretty fast pace, considering.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-17 7:31 AM
That is scary! :shocker!: But good to know about the doggie Heimlich for the next time Apollo gets a hold of a wild animal.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-10-17 3:37 PM
06/22/1977 - Hall and Oats - Allentown Fairgrounds - Allentown PA

Took a girl I had an interest in getting to know better, but the evening remained rather superficial.

07/04/1978 - The Rolling Stones - Rich Stadium - Buffalo NY

Took a girl I had an interest in getting to know better, but the day remained rather superficial.

I visited with #1 during my last two trips to the Boston Marathon (and will see her again this Saturday), and saw #2 for the first time since 1982 last November while in NYC for the marathon.  Have to say - I had good taste as a young man!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-18 5:17 PM
:laugh:

Did I ask you this, are you from Buffalo? Why Rich Stadium? My old stomping grounds.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-10-19 10:47 AM
No - my old college roommate was from Grand Island, so we had a place to crash for the night.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Concert Nightmare Mondaily