Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Lucky Friday the 13th DAILY
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-13 7:31 AM Edited 2017-10-13 7:43 AM
Felling lucky today, punk?:laugh: Buying any lottery tickets? Or perhaps today is an unlucky day for you. Were you lucky with your workout? Do tell!

Plus the usual, and weekend plans.

ETA: I forgot the Bonus! Make one up...
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-13 7:42 AM
Personally, I never understood how any Friday could be unlucky! The weekend is oh, so close, but none of it is used up yet. You still have all of it to look forward to.:grin: I am feeling lucky today. Yesterday, I took an allergy pill in the morning that was supposed to be non-drowsy, but an hour later I was practically sleepwalking. I felt awful. Today I feel so much better, I feel great! I had a great workout, I should be getting some new running shoes (Altras) I ordered by this afternoon, and... It's Friday! Yay! I feel so good I might have to buy a lotto ticket.:roll::laugh:

7 peppy miles this morning. I took the last two days off, which is probably why the run felt so good. Also did some arm weights. I'm about to have coffee, a protein bar, and a smoothie for breakfast. Dinner will be whatever I can find in the freezer, probably something involving ground turkey.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:16 AM
Fall allergies are kicking blazerboy's ass right now.  He seems to respond well to the 24 hour Claritin.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 7:36 PM
Glad your miles this morning were peppy.  Oooh and then tomorrow you'll be wearing new shoes -- :cool:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-13 8:35 AM
My black cat Luke crossed my path this morning, and then I broke a mirror. :shocker!: This is not a good Friday the 13th for me! :shocker!: Part of the medicine cabinet mirror chipped off when I accidentally hit it so it's not like I shattered a full-sized mirror or anything, right?

No workout today. Maybe tomorrow, but most likely Sunday.
Weekend plans: heading down to VA for the weekend. My mom got sprung from the hospital yesterday and I am going to help her and my dad out this weekend. I was initially planning on staying into next week, but I am hoping that's not necessary, based on how well she and my dad say she is doing. So if I'm lucky, the drive down will be smooth and congestion-free on the NJ Turnpike and the Beltway. :roll: I am working from home today, so at least I will get a little jump on the drive by taking a 1.5-hour long conference call from my car. :cry:

Bonus: deja vu: heading back down to VA next Friday for MCM! Fiance is running the full marathon and I'm running the 10k.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:19 AM
Glad your mom is doing well.  As someone who has experience taking care of the hip replacement patient, make sure she is doing EVERYTHING she is supposed ot do in regards to moving and PT.  I was a total nag to blazerman two years ago, but he was golfing after just six weeks!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:58 AM
I am good at nagging! :laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 11:50 AM
Wow, that's some strange coincidences for today. Good news on your mom!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 7:33 PM
Luke crosses your path every day, so he doesn't count, and a chip isn't technically a break, so you're good :wink:

Hope the trip to Virginia goes well for all of you -
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-13 10:56 AM
Not lucky or unlucky, just a fairly normal Friday so far. I hope that I didn't just jinx myself. : pbbt:

One of the guys training with us has an out of town soccer game with his son tomorrow morning so had to get his long run in today. He started at 6 AM and I joined him a little before 7 when he reached our meeting spot. I ran the middle 6 miles with him. The last 5 miles included some really huge hills so it was a solid 16 miles for him. It's supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow morning so I hope that holds and it's not too bad for our run.

I've got an easier soccer schedule this weekend due to some other things going on. We're going to a local beer festival tomorrow night and on Sunday there is a church gathering at the house that will include some small children. I pulled some of the kid's old toys from the attic to give them something to do while they are here.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:19 AM
I look forward to your beer check-ins!!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 7:29 PM
Nice you're putting that pretty new house to good use :wink: 

Gosh, it's suuuuure too bad you missed the huge hills your training buddy had to run by himself.  I mean, way too bad :laugh:
Parent - - By PTRunner [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:12 AM Edited 2017-10-13 11:21 AM
I don't think I feel particularly lucky or unlucky today. My car broke down on the way to Scranton last weekend (very unlucky), it looked like we were almost going to get a big bill to make the changes but Nissan ended up covering it (long story but that part was VERY lucky).

I ran 4 miles this morning with the double stroller while chasing L on his new bike. Bigger wheels make a big difference- he is much faster and I think its easier for him to go longer distances.   :laugh: He even said to me "Mom, I thought you were going to be fast!".  We have a fairly busy weekend- i'm doing a 5k with Ainsley's Angels tomorrow, L has "Tournament Day" for our intramural soccer club tomorrow afternoon and I have to work all day Sunday.  I wasn't supposed to work but picked the weekend up for someone else when they were trying to get a bunch of weekends covered.  L is off from school today so I'm all confused about what day it is! Feels like today should be Saturday.

Bonus- I have no idea.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:21 AM
Oh, how I miss those weekends which will jammed packed with kid crap and running.  Enjoy!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 11:49 AM
Yikes on the car? Did it mess up your race at Steamtown? It seems that would throw me for a loop in the head.
Parent - - By PTRunner [us] Date 2017-10-13 2:00 PM
I mean, the weather was so bad for marathon running that its hard to tell whether the car had anything to do with it :laugh: It made getting up there rough, had to have my car towed from a rest stop and wait for friends to drive down from Scranton and rescue us. Missed the expo and met everyone else at the house.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 3:51 PM
The weather at Scranton has become the stuff of legends.  My co-worker said he didn't meet anyone who didn't get completely beat down by the conditions :cry:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 4:01 PM
That was a bummer about the weather last Sunday. I was out hiking and it was so oppressive, and I felt bad for anyone running a race. I had a warm day my last Steamtown, but it was fall warm with low humidity and cool morning temps.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 3:55 PM
Nissan came through for my daughter last year - she'd bought her car used and then a year later had a transmission problem.  While trying to come to terms with the huge repair estimate, someone suggested she check and see if the car was still under warranty.  It was in its last month.  I think she was out $100 deductible.  It made us loyal Nissan customers!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:34 AM
I never feel lucky, nor unlucky so a date on the calendar means nothing to me.  85 minutes of pool running this morning.  I then had an ART session and PT.  I have been very religious about doing my PT every day at home (I only go in twice a week) and can definitely feel a difference in the strength of my left hip and leg. It is still weaker than the right, but much less so now than even a week ago.  I still don't feel like I can even walk the dogs around the block, but maybe within a week that will happen.  I just need to continue to have patience while the bone heals. I have been lifting every other day and doing varying core work each day, so I will hopefully come out of this mess very strong.

Weekend plans include working packet pickup both tonight and tomorrow morning for a local half marathon.  If I can't run, the least I can do is volunteer.  Other than that, just pool running both days, finishing a book I started last weekend and maybe getting together with some friends on Saturday evening and the usual weekend crap of laundry, making food for the week, etc..
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 11:48 AM
How long is your recovery suppose to be? I am getting sick of people telling me take it easy and rest. WTF have I been doing for the last 10 weeks?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 12:25 PM
The ortho said "probably" 4-6 weeks.  If I count from my DNF in Omaha, I am rounding out week three.  I figure I will go back for a follow-up MRI no earlier than Halloween.  If I can't walk around the block without a boot on, I am no where close to being recovered.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-13 12:00 PM
Do they know how you developed such a big muscle weakness? You do a lot of cross-training, so I would assume you are really strong already.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 12:33 PM
I know how I developed the muscle weakness.  In early August, my left abductor was strained.  I think that was the result of my sitting with my funky, awful posture during a 17 hour car ride.  I kept running as that "recovered" but ended up changing my stride.  When the abductor pain was resolved, my "calf" was in pain.  That pain was at the point where the muscles connect to the fibula on my outer left calf.  Lesson learned?  The point where the pain is may not be the cause of the pain.  My funky stride had my right hip take over and my left hip weakened.  This affected the blah-blah muscle which is connected to the blah-blah muscle which connects to the fibula.  Hence, the stress reaction. 

I do believe all the cross-training I do probably has prevented injuries in the past.  But when things started bothering me this time, I would skip the hip, quad and hamstring stuff we do in boxing class in an effort to not irritate things.  In retrospect, that likely exacerbated my problem.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 3:48 PM
Once you're cleared to run again, you're going to be like Wonder Woman. 

Volunteering while injured is a great way to keep connected with your runner friends.  Hang in there with the recovery!!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-10-13 11:36 AM
nothing luck or unlucky today. I am feeling lucky that i have a job i get sick time with however. i was sick this week. I had to drag myself into work wednesday but felt terrible and was probably all contagious. : pbbt: Yesterday i stayed home (did a few hours of work online :roll:), slept for 2 hours (:shocker!:) and then finished up some stuff for the other job. I was thinking how gross it is that so many places don't give time off for illness. yuck. 

and we are replacing our sewer line. we are lucky that the company thought of a better way to replace the line that leaves the house. I'm excited because i think we'll be adding a second toilet to the house. Exciting stuff!  :laugh::grin::roll: We are lucky that we have budgeted for this for years and so far the estimate is coming in under what we expected. :fingerscrossed:

ran 3 this morning and had to walk a bit. But i'd had three days of no running with this illness so i was happy to be out there for a bit. I've been very stiff and sore with no activity. This week was supposed to be peek week of training for the relay in 3 weeks but now it's not. :roll: I think it'll be fine to run more next week and then taper two weeks instead of two.

i'm marking a course/crewing a run tomorrow morning. i'd planned 17 miles but think i only need to mark to a 2.5 mile mark and turn around for 5 total. that'll be long enough! Otherwise i have no plans but dh has a bunch of things going on with his parents. maybe i'll go or not. either way, he'll need the car and we only have one. We'll also start needing to move stuff around in the basement because of that upcoming sewer line work.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 11:46 AM
Sorry about the crud. I think getting a second toilet is big news!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 1:16 PM
With the week you've had, I think 5 miles is just exactly right for your LR.   Glad you're on the mend. 

Two toilets :cool:  Hell, yeah!!
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-13 11:36 AM
Hey, who are you calling punk.  No lottery tickets ever.  I guess I was lucky with my workout in that nothing went wrong.  Pretty standard stuff.

We got a mini cold front this week, and I tried to schedule it so that I would get two runs in semi-pleasant temperatures.  Tuesday morning the front was just blowing in.  I thought it would be the first  run of the fall to be shirted by choice, but after a mile or so I pulled the shirt off.  Wednesday morning was the really nice one, but that was a gym day.  Yesterday it was still cool enough to wear a shirt, but it would have been more pleasant without it.  Tomorrow will be muggy again.Then we're supposed to get a slightly stronger front on Sunday.

Three nights in a row up at the middle school this week.  Tuesday was band concert, Wednesday was volleyball and Thursday was choir concert.

Tonight and both weekend mornings will be tied up with a swim meet, but it's at the university pool near the house and the sessions are short.

Saturday night we are going to watch the university volleyball team, currently ranked #4 in the nation.  It will be my first time.

BONUS: Someday I will post pictures of Alaska
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 11:45 AM
I did a shirtless run this week and while it's cool now Sunday is forecast 80 again. Must be a local marathon or something with that forecast.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 12:35 PM
The only thing I think is worse than a choir concert, is a band concert.  (We had our first choir concert this week.:roll:)
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-13 12:49 PM
Either one is better than a ballet recital!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 3:38 PM
I agree, but as long as we're talking about circles of hell, don't overlook the pain of a beginners' orchestra concert :cry:
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-14 7:02 AM
The good thing about beginner concerts and recitals is that they don't know much, so performing it doesn't take all that  long.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 11:43 AM
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! (A bit of jammin' for your Friday afternoon listening pleasure or not)

Non-workout: Weights and such at the no judgement zone today at lunch. I think will take the Lady up the hill from the house to our little local trail for 2-3 miles after work and do some trail jogging. Suppose to be some crackpots there around 6pm for a night hike per the park sign. We will try to miss them.

Food: Had black bean pizza last night topped with sauté'd red onions and peppers. So vegetarian. I may replicate that tonight since I have another pizza crust.

Weekend plans: I am a bachelor for a week or two as my wife drove to OK to visit her mom. So maybe I will sit around in my underwear, t-shirt, and swill beer. Hey, I do that when she is home so what's the difference! When taking a rest from that activity I probably play a round of golf, do some yard work, walk the dogs, and do some shuffling on the trail.

Bonus: 2
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-13 12:37 PM
I went vegetarian last night as I had a big plate of zoodles with assorted veggies for dinner.  In fact, I think I was 100% vegetarian yesterday.  I just ate some brisket for lunch, so I won't make that mistake again!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 3:41 PM
Hopefully you'll just swill beer while you play golf, not go in your underwear and t-shirt :shocker!:

I've never, ever heard of a black bean pizza :wtf:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 4:03 PM
Instead of tomato sauce as a base, you make a sauce/paste of mashed black beans. Typically I season with Mexican spices (cumin, chili powder) add some dice green chilis as I blend it up then top with peppers, onions, and cheddar/jack cheese. Almost TexMex.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 1:13 PM
Today is an SDO, but I was very lucky with my workout yesterday and got my last 20-miler done :cool: 

How lucky was I?  :roll:  For starters, the weather was cooler. I had forgotten what it was like to run in temps that were only in the high 60's : pbbt:   Somewhere in the first mile though, it started to sprinkle and the sprinkle turned into rain by mile 6.  DH had been riding his bike but had to take shelter and wait out the storm.  I took a break at mile 6 and he showed me the radar map and asked if I wanted to stop since we were circling back near the parking lot.  I thought about it some, but decided to keep going in hopes the rain would clear.  It was hard because M was soaked and could't generate enough body heat to keep warm while riding.  He packed the bike back onto its carrier and drove to a couple of intersections to give me a ride if I decided to quit.  By mile 11, the rain stopped and by 13, the sun was out.  A mile later DH appeared on his bike again.  He had pulled out the emergency clothes we keep stowed away and had put on an old rain jacket -- no shirt; just the jacket :laugh:  He brought me a nice bottle of Gatorade and then kept me good company for the last hour.   We kept a running joke going about what a very *special* opportunity it was to be able to run in spite of the weather, in my soaking wet shoes and on my ankle that had been looking pretty bad just 10 days ago.  At times it was hard to consider the opportunity it was:grin::roll:, but really -- we were lucky everything worked out, lucky to get in the miles and lucky the ankle cooperated.  Also, for a change, I didn't feel like death on a cracker afterward.  I mean I was tired of course, but not that "why do I do this to myself" tired.  In retrospect, maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket :blush: 

Weekend plans are not set yet.  Taper time is here, so we'll probably be working on getting the house squared away :boring:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 4:04 PM
Rain sounds good for your last 20 miler in Texas. You might need to acclimatize to some cooler weather. Congrats on getting to the taper!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-13 1:14 PM
Not lucky or unlucky :meh: 

I went to the gym & did core & shoulder exercises & then swam 1600 meters.

The other night my sister called my cell & mentioned that she originally called our house phone but it dropped to a phone company managed voicemail box that's not set up.  Our house phone has caller ID and there were zero calls received that night :wtf:  So, after testing it by calling the house # from my cell a sample of 10 times, it turned out only 4 calls made it through :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:  I call our house phone that because it's not been a traditional land line for 4+ years since we switched to Verizon's "voice connect"...which is basically a wireless receiver box in the house that we have one of the phones plugged into.  I never set up voicemail in Verizon's system because it was redundant & already covered by the answering machine built into one of our phones.   Verizon's customer service help didn't solve anything :roll:  So, I wound up setting up the voicemail on their system with a message that if the caller got to that, it means our house line is not working and I included my cell number in the message.  Curiously, I successfully reached our house phone 3 of 3 times after doing that WTF?????  We are about to "cut the chord" ...figuratively since the land line chord was literally cut 4+ years ago.  I just need to assess/modify all the important places where our house phone number is listed as the primary or sole contact and update as many as we can first. /rant/

Bonus: ???????????????????????????
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-13 3:39 PM
I can see why you'd be concerned about contacts through your land line.  You've lived at that house for a very long time, haven't you?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-13 4:49 PM
Yep!  We've had the "land line" phone number (paired with two different area codes) for 39 years!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-13 4:06 PM
Good luck with the phone fiasco... when we switched from land line to Comcast phone, I figured I would just get less calls! Worked for awhile.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-13 5:01 PM
Interestingly, in 1979 when cable was wired in our area the provider was Garden State Cable TV.  That morphed to NY Times Cable TV and then Comcast.  So, Comcast is my cable & internet provider but we never when in for the "Triple Play" to add their phone service.

In the mid-1990s we got a single cell phone...$50 for the phone & $30 a month for 30 minutes of calling with a per minute charge for time over 30 minutes.  We used it as a family "emergency phone" so if someone (like the kids) were on a long drive or late at night they would have the phone..."just in case".  A couple of years later they offered a deal to have a total of 4 phones on the plan sharing the minutes so we added 3 more.  Provider was Comcast Metrophone!  Comcast got out of the cell phone business and the provider migrated to AT&T.  Me, my wife and our daughter still use the same original cell phone numbers but our son migrated providers a couple of times so his number changed.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Lucky Friday the 13th DAILY