Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday Thoughts NRR
- - By swandive Date 2017-10-12 9:33 AM
Post!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-12 9:48 AM
Yesterday's thread got me wondering: in what ways, if any, do you use Facebook?  Increasingly it seems that my "news feed" is random crap/videos/links with fewer updates/pictures from people I know.  Now, I could probably tweak what I see a bit, but it does make me wonder if people are posting less.  I feel like I don't post as often as I used to, but I'm not sure how much of that is not having anything I want to say and how much of it is feeling like I don't really have a target audience.

My other random thought at the moment relates to bath mats. :laugh:  What kind do you have/like?  The backing is disintegrating on the ones I have now, but they're just standard rubber-backed rugs.  I might forego bath mats all together except that the floor is ugly (beige 4x4 tiles with grout that won't come clean) and the dog likes to sleep on the mat beside the toilet.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-12 9:53 AM
I don't. I don't have a FB account, and have never felt the desire to have one. I'll text/email/ring/write anyone I need to speak with or with whom I have a running correspondence, and choose "news" by consciously going to a website and reading it.

I have bath rugs that are cloth-like and so can be machine-washed. I'll toss them in every week - much easier to keep clean.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-12 10:27 AM
What sort of cloth-like rugs do you have?
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-10-12 11:16 AM
I have a rug from Target.  It's "threshold" (their store brand maybe) but I can't find it on the website.  Not plush and not rubber backed.  Just a regular rug.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-12 12:46 PM
Yes, like that. Not plush or rubber backed, just a cotton woven rug.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-12 1:45 PM
I have some cheap ones like that from Ikea
Parent - By elmtree Date 2017-10-12 3:37 PM
Exactly. I don't like plush bc I feel like it sheds on my feet.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-10-12 10:00 AM
I read a lot and post about 1-3 times a month; mostly about huge things.  I don't have much to say.  I am limiting my time on there now; mostly I want to see what my family and friends are up to.  I am getting increasingly annoyed by the content; and I see it quickly gets to seeing the promoted content, plus what others have liked.  What others have liked is generally upsetting, from boycotting the NFL, pro-life stuff, and inflammatory memes calling Obama an asshole or things like that.  I struggle to figure out how things have gotten to be as divisive as they are.  One thing I think is that people are seeing isolated incidences as bigger than they are.  Like the Christians are seeing abortion as murder and taking offense with saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas and thinking others are banning the pledge of allegiance in schools.  Like their way of life is getting threatened.  When really, were they prevented from doing things?  Or did it happen just at one place?  Or at all?  How many emotions are based on things that are false?  Things like that; so what is meant to be a fun look at pictures of my great-niece ends up being an intellectual query into why things are the way they are; all the while being upset about things.  The other thing is, I do get news from New and Guts and Dan Rather.  But that always makes me upset as well; because there are a lot of crappy things going on in the news right now.      The rest of the content seems to be people selling things.  Ugh.
Parent - By BRunR [ca] Date 2017-10-12 10:46 AM
No facebook here either but I do have 3 spoiled dogs who like to lie on the bathmat.  In our basement ,( colder floor),We have the memory foam type and use the small rougher foor towels overtop when showering. Upstairs with the heated floor we just use a foot towel for a mat and the dogs lie on that.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-12 11:27 AM
I post on FB less than once a day and keep it to swimming and chickens for the most part. Don't use it for politics at all. I wish there was a filter you could turn on to filter out anything with the key word "trump." All I really want to see is kids and cats.

As for bathmats, we have the rubber backed kind. Probably don't wash them as often as we should.  I like the fluffiness of them. MCF likes the kind that are more like a towel and you pick up after the shower and hang on the side of the tub.  Not fluffy and a bit more slippery, so I don't like them as much. When we finish redoing the bathroom (if it ever is finished) I figure we will buy new ones (the old one all have bleach stains).
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-12 12:12 PM
I decided to take a break from Facebook last Monday, after the Las Vegas shootings and getting in one too many arguments about the 2nd amendment with someone I don't even know (friend of a friend thing).  It ate up 2 hours of my precious study time.  So I have deactivated my account for the time being (hence my increased presence here - I need somewhere to surf mindlessly, lol), and I have to say, I don't miss it.  And my productivity is so much better!  I feel a lot less negative and depressed.  Yes, I feel sort of disconnected from friends etc, but the ones I care about keep in touch via text.  There is some way to still have messenger installed even without Facebook, so maybe at some point I'll look into that. Maybe not.  I'm still on Instagram, but rarely, because my phone is having issues and I'm too lazy to figure them out.  In any case - maybe I'm less immediately up to date on people's lives, but the benefits to my sanity are worth it.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-10-12 1:23 PM
Normally speaking I post once every couple of days (like 3 days). There are occasions like last weekend where I posted daily and/or a couple times due to the race. I stopped posting most general posts and vents about family both there AND here because I think some was getting back to the person I was venting about even though I didn't name the person or people were, I hesitate to use the word but attacking when I'd post something personal in nature. So mostly FB is the occasional kid/pet pic or hoorah about them, or it's all triathlon related. I do not post political stuff. Most of the time what I see are tri related posts or family posts. The political stuff doesn't show up as much now because the few people who were constantly posting the false info type stuff I deleted and blocked.

Our bathmat is 17 years old (rubber backing from Bed Bath and Beyond) and is in need of being replaced but I haven't seen the color I want for the last 2 years I've been looking. I saw Target has some good colors that might work though so I might just break down and get new ones.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-10-12 2:18 PM
FB -

1. Personal.  Use it to share photos of the kidlet with relatives and keep up on their kidlets.
2. Activism.   I use it as a platform for some issues with which I'm involved
3. Neighborhood news.  I'm on a few lists to keep up with what's going on around me.

My personal page is much more the first.   I have separate groups I moderate/participate in for the second.

Bathmats -

I got a memory foam one from BB&B a few years back and love it.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-12 10:04 AM
My question of the day-- at work we have caller ID on our phones so anyone calling from work we see their name.  When I answer the phone, should I say "hello [caller]", or the way I used to answer "this is Rebecca" or something else? What do you do?  I feel like etiquette with friends is different than at work.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-12 10:22 AM
I say "Good morning/afternoon/evening, this is Moonglow" even though we have caller ID. In theory, it might be someone calling from someone else's office, a redirected cover ID, or just not the person whose name is on the ID for some other reason. I figure "Good morning, this is Moonglow" is appropriate in either event, since if it *is* the person shown on the ID, I haven't insulted/them and the greeting is polite/professional. If it is not the person on the ID, I've avoided an awkward situation.

With friends on my personal mobile, I'll usually say "Hello" but still not use the person's name. After I hear their voice reply "Hello/hi", then I'll repeat the "Hi Friend'sName!"
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-12 12:22 PM
If I see it is a coworker I usually just say "Hey SoAndSo" I don't answer it professionally
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday Thoughts NRR