Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Racers: On your mark, get set, reply 'em...
- - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-12 8:03 AM
If you're racing this weekend or during the coming week, let everyone know about it!

Race name / distance

Date

Goals
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-10-13 2:21 AM
- Vulture Bait 50k
- London, Ontario - first time I get to use my new passport :cool: (only used the old one once) :sad:
- 10/14
- I would like to finish in under 6 hours, but I have no idea how rigorous the course really is, so we'll see. 

I met the RD summer before last at a six-day event in Ohio.  Another runner, a friend from Florida, talked me into doing this with him, which didn't take much, so I'm looking forward to hanging out with him for the weekend.   I'm also looking forward to the travel, seeing part of Canada I've not seen before, and the weather forecast is tolerable - rain, but warm.  (I still hate cold.)
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-13 7:57 AM
I hope you have a very enjoyable trip!
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-10-17 5:12 AM
The trip was a cluster...
- only my Discover card does not charge international transaction fees.  However, nobody in Canada takes Discover :mutmad:
- not knowing any of that, I only exchanged $20USD for Canadian currency at the border.  That ran out quickly :laugh:
- our motel was only one block away from a CostCo, but CostCo in Ontario doesn't sell beer or liquor.  They also don't take Discover, or Visa (which is what all of them require here.) :roll: 

Fortunately, my buddy had plenty of Canadian money, so he paid for everything and I reimbursed him.  He also owns a credit card that doesn't charge transaction fees.  He noticed an ad at a Tim Horton's for their "doubledoublecard."  I looked into it when I got home.  #1 requirement: must be a Canadian citizen.

I was a nervous wreck going through Customs, fearing they would search my Vibe and confiscate all my food, beer, cooking equipment and running stuff, but all they asked was "why are you entering Canada?" and "are you carrying any alcohol or tobacco?" I don't they hear "I'm going to London to run a 50k" very often. :laugh: 
Same thing re-entering the US:
"What did you go to Canada for?"
"I ran a 50k.  It took me 6hrs, 20min." 
"I couldn't even drive it in that."
(Does he even know how far 50k is?)  Anyway, my paranoia was completely unwarranted.

Still, the course was the nicest 50k course I can remember running on evah, and I'm already looking forward to going back.  Yah?
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-10-17 6:56 AM
:cool: Congrats
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-17 12:18 PM
Wow, that's a lot of strange happenings for one trip. Glad the course was so awesome!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-10-20 5:57 PM
:laugh:

Yah! :cool:
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-18 8:59 PM
I'm just going to bump last weeks thread. Getting on an airplane super early tomorrow morning...

Uwharrie 100

In the forest near Troy, NC.

10/21 & 10/22

1) Finish. I think this is likely to be the toughest race I've ever taken on.
2) I would like to have my finish time start with a 2 rather than a 3, but I realize that might not be the case. See above.
3) Win my age group.

Race tracking - Bib #11
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-10-20 9:47 AM
Best of luck.  I really want to run that someday, though the motivation is slightly diminished since Kathleen's Kitchen in Albermarle, my one and only experience with fatback, is no longer open.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-10-20 11:35 AM
Exciting!  Good luck!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-10-20 11:42 AM
All the best IB!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-10-20 5:59 PM
Cool. :cool: I won't be able to track tomorrow but will look you up Sunday, thanks and great running to you! :hug:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-10-20 9:49 AM
Name - St. Pat's 24-hour
Place - South Bend, IN
Date - 10/20
Goal - To make 100 miles. 

South Bend should be a zoo this weekend.  Notre Dame is hosting USC.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-10-20 11:36 AM
Very cool!  At least there may be lots of entertaining stories in the air.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-10-20 11:42 AM
:happy:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-10-20 6:01 PM
Yeah it should be a zoo. But of course you'll be focusing on your feet and the path ahead. Have fun and get that goal! :cool::hug:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Racers: On your mark, get set, reply 'em...