Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Touching base Wednesday
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:13 AM
Please touch base and let us know how you're doing!  Share details of your workout, your weather, your life, your attitude, you get the picture. 

Bonus:  share a baseball/softball memory
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:44 AM
Good morning Enid & Runangoers!

I'm at T-12 days & counting.  My sister is at T-90 minutes & counting (for her new knee).

I taught cycling class this morning.  I didn't do my usual post-class stuff this morning because I got into a conversation after class with a new guy - Tom.  Our conversation quickly turned to running & it wasn't long before he mentioned he ran just during his freshman year in college with a HS classmate, Matt Centrowicz Sr!  While Centrowicz was a famous collegiate runner at Oregon, I knew he spent his freshman year at my alma matter, Manhattan!  Turns out Tom's freshman year was my senior year!  He was a commuter/engineering major while I was a resident/liberal arts major so we never crossed paths in school but it was cool to meet a fellow Jasper!

The rest of this morning has been less exciting :roll:  I hung some orange Halloween lights outside the house.  TBD will be exchanging them for Christmas lights in Dec.  Orange isn't really a Christmas color and we'll see how ambulatory I am by then.

Bonus:  One time while I was a teenager I was hanging out between pickup games at the basketball courts in a local park ("Balling" would be the current expression but back then we just called it playing basketball :roll:  ) and some friends asked me to help out as their Rec. league softball team was 1 player short.  There guys were better athletes than me at the time so they stuck me at catcher, a somewhat inconsequential position since stealing bases was not allowed in this league.  However, a situation arose with no outs and runners on 2nd & 3rd.  The batter flew out to short left field, the runners from both 2nd & 3rd tagged to advance after the catch & the left fielder made a perfect throw for me to tag the runner out at the plate & I also made a good throw to get the other runner at 3rd...a triple play! 

There was also the 2008 World Series that the Phillies won!  :wink:
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:59 AM
Wow, how slow was the guy going from 2nd to 3rd?  He must have been embarrassed.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-11 10:27 AM
I think he held up at first & only decided to run when he saw the left fielder's throw coming home.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-11 10:22 AM
Balling?:roll::laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-11 10:28 AM
Yes, a term that meant something completely different when I was young!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 12:23 PM
I hope all goes (or went) well with your sister
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-11 1:19 PM
Thanks, it did!  Now comes the hard work for her!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-11 10:41 AM
90 minutes of pool running this morning, the first 60 with a friend so that part flew by as we chattered the entire time.  Had my third PT session yesterday and boy.....my left hip and glute are super weak!  No wonder I got hurt!  I am taking this seriously and doing the prescribed exercise each day.  Luckily, the boxing gym has things I don't have at home like the Big Ball and strappy things which hang, so I can do some specific exercise there on my non-PT days.  I plan on lifting when I do my exercises tonight.  In an effort to not get fat(ter), I am really, really watching what I eat. Funny how once you do this for a few days, it gets a bit easier. 

Our weather is lovely now.....lows in the 50's and highs in the 70' for a couple of days.  But it will get back in the 90's this weekend. Other exciting news is that the flu shot lady showed up at our office today, so I am all set!  Just need to drag the kid for his.

Bonus:  All five of us kids played ball, I played softball for maybe six years and again on a company team for a couple years in my 20's.  My dad coached almost all of us at some time or another.  He would go ballistic if we broke one of his three cardinal sins of baseball: (1) Not catching a ball with two hands, (2) Not getting behind a ground ball when we fielded one and The Worst Sin Ever (3) Getting called out by watching the third strike.  He wove #3 into many discussions we had in life......You don't watch the pitch, you go down swinging.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-11 1:23 PM
Did you get a diagnosis on your injury or did you just decide to try PT first? Glad the weakness got identified so you can correct it!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:18 PM
Yes, I had an MRI which determined I had a stress reaction on the fibula.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:00 PM
You go down swinging --  damn straight!! :cool: :hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-11 11:33 AM
Still alive and well here. Muddling through this sense of getting old and never being the same again. It will pass and if it doesn't well it is what it is.

I have run a few miles since the last time I posted. A did a hike with trail jog intervals on Sunday for 5+ miles at French Creek, and last night a trail jog with hike intervals at Green Lane for 5 miles. Nothing special, but it provided some normalcy to my day. Today, just walking with the dogs and time lifting waits in the judgement free zone.

Weather was still very warm yesterday. A shirtless evening on the trails in October, but cooler and grey today with some light sprinkles of rain.

Bonus: I played baseball as a little kid, little league, what they may have called hot stove. I think 7th grade was my last year of baseball, then switched to golf as spring/summer activity. I seemed to start off baseball seasons strong as a hitter, then sort off lost my timing towards the end of the season and did not hit good pitchers very well. First time I went to an Indians game (the old municipal stadium) was with my dad and a friend of his from work. It was bat day, and a doubleheader with the Milwaukee Brewers. I think it was a split but I don't remember. I do remember the stadium was pretty much sold out and the announcer had all the kids wave their bats it was pretty cool. I was in awe that first time at the ballpark. The grass was so green and it seemed like a magical place. My grandpa was bigger fan of the game than my dad, and he also took me the stadium once or twice when I visited over the summer. We had to take buses and rapid transit into the city as my grandpa did not own a car or drive. I remember being stoked to see Vida Blue of the A's pitch and all the stars of that era. It was so special to go the games live. I am still waiting for that World Series Title for the Indians in my lifetime.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:55 PM
I got back from my SIL's in Colorado last Saturday, and damned, I can totally get into power hiking. My SIL had to stop running for various reasons, and now she hikes up some serious mountains; dang! She is in some good shape!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:03 PM
You've got some really cool baseball memories :cool:  It is so much more fun watching the game in person instead of on TV
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-10-11 11:34 AM
Workout: 6.4 miles with friends this morning.
Weather: Enjoying the unseasonably warm weather.
Life: Still have moments of sadness from my 1+ year relationship coming to an end last week. To compound things, it has dredged up some of the really bad stuff from when K died nearly 2 years ago. Doing OK, but I have my craptastic moments every day. Mostly I’m just lonely. Kiddos are good - oldest finally got her driver’s license a few weeks ago.
Attitude: Widower life has given me a bit of an edge. I curse more and have no tolerance for bullshit; in many situations I’m inclined to say fuck it. Comedy: Last weekend I kind of got duped into going to a social gathering which sucked. I finished my beer and made up a bs story about an emergency at home and got the f**k out of there.

Baseball: 3rd grade, final game. Kid on the other team hits a monster shot which should have been a walkoff grand slam. Left fielder puts his glove on his shoulder and shuts his eyes. Ball FALLS INTO HIS GLOVE! We win!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-10-11 11:50 AM
I didn't realize that your relationship ended, I'm sorry. :sad:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-10-11 12:53 PM
Thanks Donna. It’ll be OK. We parted ways amicably, agreeing the timing isn’t right and we’re probably a good match but not a “spend the rest of our lives together” match. We’re going to try to transition it to a friendship if we can. I slept about 2 hours that first night but I’m sleeping OK now and just a bit sad.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-11 1:25 PM
Sorry Tim :sad::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:04 PM
Break-ups always suck, but the former divorce lawyer in me says, better now than later.:sad:

Your baseball memory so reminds me of my brothers' little league team, so funny!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:08 PM
I hope you are able to remain friends.  Too bad it didn't work out.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-10-11 11:50 AM
I'll play along.

Doing OK here.

workout 7.3. my running has been bad for months. The summer was rough, lots of personal stuff going on, I am hopeful it is finally turning around.
weather mornings are finally cooler here, and I am so thankful. It makes a huge difference
my own life, I can't complain. My family is happy and healthy.

National politics is making my attitude suck.

Bonus I am coming up with nothing.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:51 PM
National politics... I can't even...:cry:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:10 PM
The cooler weather is gonna make a nice difference.  Fall is the nicest time of year in Dallas.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-11 12:33 PM
We ran 10 miles this morning in the soup. One guy had to get to a meeting at 9 AM so that kept us moving along but I felt like death warmed over for most of the run and it took most of the morning to feel human again. This weather is bad enough in July and August but has no business here in October.

My wife's SUV was having issues with the AC so I took it to the place that does the work on our cars and they came back with a quote for over $1600 for the repair so we're now on the lookout for a replacement as the car isn't worth much more than that.

Bonus: I played some real backyard baseball growing up but never anything organized until we moved to SC and our company had a team in the local slow pitch softball league and they talked me into joining up. I also played on our church's team. My participation ended when I was pitching for our team and took a hit directly to the face. The ball was moving so fast that you could see the marks from the stitching on the ball where it hit my cheek.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:50 PM
This weather is bad enough in July and August but has no business here in October.

Funny, I said exactly the same thing yesterday morning when I was running in this crap!:cry: :greatminds:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:14 PM
I hear you about feeling bad after the run.  Every time I think I've finally gotten used to running in high humidity, the weather throws me something even more awful.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-11 1:19 PM
Hello everyone! :grin:

Workout: nope not yet maybe tomorrow
Weather: it was almost chilly this morning and it is freezing in the office :roll:
Life: My mom had her hip replacement surgery yesterday! After all of the stress leading up to it, it went very well and she is recovering well so far. She has NO MORE HIP PAIN which has been plaguing her for like 5 years, but she's dealing with the surgical pain and knee pain from her knee finally being back in proper alignment. But she is in good spirits and might go home tomorrow. This is a HUGE relief for me, I can't even tell you. I am headed down to VA this weekend to visit, I was originally prepared to stay into next week to help her and my dad out, but as of now, I don't think that will be necessary. :grin::grin::grin:
My attitude: depends on who you ask. :laugh: With regards to work it's crappy but for everything else it's pretty good right now.

My weekend: Chicago didn't go as planned. :cry: And I kind of hated the race. But I had a fun weekend and got t see my cousin and meet her husband and baby, so it wasn't a total loss. The race gave me some more mental toughness practice if nothing else. :roll: I will write up a short race report.

Bonus: I was the MVP for my church softball team one summer in high school. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-11 1:24 PM
Great news on your mom's surgery!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-11 1:27 PM
Surgery was done in under an hour, her stint in recovery was a bit longer than that with her lung issues. I am betting since you are in such great shape it will practically be outpatient surgery! My mom is probably going home tomorrow. :cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-11 1:48 PM
:cool:  I am hopeful!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:01 PM
Good news about your mom!:hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:20 PM
I'm sorry Chicago didn't go as it should have :mutmad: I saw your cousin's pic on FB where she and her baby were cheering for you.  That was pretty sweet :hug:

Glad your mom's surgery went well.  Safe travels as you head to Va.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:22 PM
I absolutely HATED Chicago! It was "only" 27-28,000 runners when I ran it 15 years ago and that was what gave me my hatred of megathons. I can only imagine how much inuldnhre it now.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 2:56 PM
Hey Enid! I'm doing ok, hanging in there. It's always hard to be back in NJ right after a trip to Colorado, which is my favorite place ever. I've found I'm just not good with humidity, either in running or in the rest of my life, and NJ, while not Florida or Dallas, is too humid for me. But I'm back in the routine, walking dogs all day, getting stuff done at night. Work on the house to get it ready to put on the market this spring starts in two weeks!:shocker!: So lots of packing going on here.

A short 4 mile run in the dark this morning with Weasley:hug:, a friend of mine, and her dog. Green smoothie for breakfast. Philip is making shrimp with a lemon butter sauce for dinner.

Bonus: I never played, myself, but I remember watching my brothers play little league and thinking they looked like the Bad News Bears.:laugh:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:25 PM
oh yeah, a Colorado hangover.  Those suck.  I love going there to visit but am always annoyed because it's so crowded.  I guess that's not something a girl from New Jersey would notice though :grin:   If we were to leave our idyllic life here in the RGV, I think I would look at somewhere in New Mexico or Arizona.

Bad News Bears :laugh: how most of the children of the 70's learned the opera "Carmen."
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 5:11 PM
Colorado hangover describes it perfectly!:laugh: Aspen and Carbondale didn't seem crowded to me, but the traffic in Denver and Boulder was pretty intense, for smaller cities.:laugh: Nothing like the shore traffic on the Garden State Parkway though!

That and the Bugs Bunny cartoons.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:45 PM
Today is overcast and so*much*cooler.  Unfortunately this is my SDO so I couldn't enjoy running in it.  I will try to get in my 20-miler tomorrow and then start tapering for the big event. My ankle has healed to probably 85%.  It doesn't hurt when I run, but my pace is annoyingly slower.  Yesterday's workout was the traditional 10 x 1/2 repeats.   weather yesterday : pbbt:  Air temp 79, dew point was 78.  It was absolutely gross.   I kept my expectations low, but gees :cry:  Usually I can get in four repeats without having to take a break.  I was never able to do more than two without coming to a stop.  Even though it was kind of a terrible experience, I think it helped in "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" department.   After the workout was finished, a storm came in and dumped 4" of rain.  Guess that explains the high humidity, huh? 

Bonus:  When we lived in Kansas, DH's work had a co-ed softball team we played on.  The coach was a high school kid who once took me aside and advised me to not look so surprised when I didn't drop a ball.  At the time, I was playing second base and had snagged the ball which got the batter out, but because I stood there yelling "I CAUGHT IT!!!"  the base runner tagged up and advanced to third :mutmad:  FWIW, that coach is now an MLB umpire, although I don't think he's officiating on field in the playoffs.  He did help with the replay booth last year though. :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-10-11 4:08 PM
Your baseball story-:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:17 PM
I did actually run today after several days of nothing.
Weather is fabulous, rally nice today. My life is okay, chugging along.
My attitude: stressed. :cry: I really need to run more often.

Bonus: Hmm I have one, we went to a game with Cathy. And she explained the game and Nagesh kept referencing it back to cricket. I think the most fun memory was the post game baseball quiz that is somewhere here on Runango.  :laugh: We also went to another game after with tickets form work, it was ungodly hot and the Rangers lost so meh.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Touching base Wednesday