Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wet Wednesday
- - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-11 6:57 AM
Light rain here. Muggy and warmish.

Post em
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-11 6:58 AM
Ran 16.03 miles this morning. 4 miles easy. 10@GMP of 7:38. Actual Avg: 7:37 Splits: 7:42, 7:36, 7:42, 7:36, 7:34, 7:35, 7:38, 7:32, 7:35, 7:35. 2 mile cool down.
It was a depletion run. No calories before or during run. Cup of black coffee, water and a few salt pills. Now I am eating like I am going to the chair.
Race in 10 days. That was the last run in the double digits. Doing lots of slow easy ones now (TWSS).
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:07 AM
16 miles and no food?  Why?  I could research it but you could give it to me in plain english.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-11 8:11 AM
Well one of the reasons i do it is because my training plan has it listed for today : pbbt:

Depletion running is the name given to runs that are done in a semi-starved or depleted state. Most predictably, this occurs in the morning immediately following a full night’s sleep. This means that many hours have passed since your last meal and is when glycogen–the body’s stored carbohydrate source for energy–is at a minimum.

The basic idea behind a depletion run is to train the body to use alternate fuel sources, such as fat, when it’s preferred fuel of carbs is in short supply. This is particularly important for distance runners who find themselves with limited glycogen near the end of a long run or race such as the marathon.

The more efficiently a runner is able to use fat stores for energy–which exist in a nearly endless supply–the longer they’ll be able to maintain their pace in a long race and arrive at the finish faster. Depletion runs train the body to both use its available glycogen more efficiently and also to use fats when glycogen levels are low. They may also impact (increase) how much total glycogen our body is able to create and store which then becomes available the next time we need it.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-11 9:12 AM
Thanks.:happy:

I guess I didn't think you had to train your body to use alternate fuel sources.  I thought it just happened when the glycogen ran out.   NPR, learn something new everyday.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-11 10:24 AM
If inadvertently do a depletion run, I feel light headed and sick all day.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-11 10:27 AM
i was feeling a bit light-headed the last few miles...but no Curly Fries were needed. Been eating a lot since then. Thankfully i don't feel sick.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-10-11 11:09 AM
But since your body fat is  already like -5%, what does your body burn for fuel?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-11 11:23 AM
The fat stored in my Butt Cheeks : pbbt:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:28 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By rungear [us] Date 2017-10-11 6:58 AM
Hello 'Masters', Good morning.

Hello From St. Louis, in town visiting family and to my wife I are at my 60th H.S. Reunion.   How may will I recognize, how many will recognize me?   Luckily we'll wear name tags.   Our class size was only about 90, and we're expecting about 30 reunion'ites plus spouses, so maybe 60 for lunch.

Have a good day everyone, see ya later.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:08 AM
have fun!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:29 PM
That is. Wry cool!!
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-11 7:16 AM
3 muggy miles here this morning.

My 40th high school reunion is happening sometime in the week or two but I don't plan to travel to NY for it.  I went to the 20th, didn't know practically anyone, and wasted my time.  I did get a nice coffee mug out of it though.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:09 AM
rainy here too.  My plan is for 5 around lunchtime; paved path along the river.  I think my other routes might be too muddy.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-10-11 8:46 AM
It gorgeous here. Already ran 4 trail miles before the grands got here.  I guess I did a modified depletion run, only coffee beforehand but only 4 miles. A half a “Mike”. But I ate a breakfast big enough to fuel everyone’s run today when I was done! :laugh: No doubt there’ll be another couple of walking miles before the end of the day.

:grin:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-10-11 11:17 AM
I should do a depletion run.  The NC trip cost me 5 pounds.  I'm feeling like a zombie today.  We left at noon yesterday, planning to stop and take a nice overnight.  WRONG.  No room at the inn.  Tried 3 hotels, 2 sold out, 3rd only had smoking rooms.  Had a late dinner at Golden Coral and then forged ahead.  McD coffee got me home about midnight, but once home I was wired until 4AM.  

Tom in DE

PS.  Had a great time doing a classroom observation of Ellen in her homeschool classroom with Isaac.  Ellen passed!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-11 12:25 PM
That stinks about the hotel rooms.  Thank goodness for McDonalds I guess.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-10-11 12:38 PM
It's all these old geezer retirees out looking for leaves.   Lots of senior center tour buses.  Traffic was light after 9PM.  They're all in bed.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:30 PM
Great news about Ellen! Yeah, those old geezers...:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-11 3:32 PM
Short day at work, unusual, but welcome! I prob will veg till Friday. The nice thing about my 5k preps is that I need a nice long taper to be fully rested!  Pays :laugh: to b a geezerette. :laugh::laugh:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wet Wednesday