Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Back To Summer Tuesday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-10-10 5:54 AM
Summer again today. Weird weather this year.
Post. :happy:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-10 5:55 AM
Monday’s run was a fun 45 minutes although it was really humid. There was a light mist which cooled my face and felt great. Tiny birds, squirrels and chipmunks were around, gathering and eating for the winter and darting around in the dark bushes.
Today I want to run early, then I promised to golf 9 holes with DC. He adores golf. :roll:
New garbage disposal fixed the sink leak. Having that happen made me clean out below the sink. Blessing in disguise. :laugh:
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 8:08 AM
enjoy your day, even the golf.  The things we do for our partners.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 8:39 AM
Golf? Sooner you than me. I would be running around the golf course.

Maybe you and DC could compromise and do speed golf, which uses a combination of your time (run from hole to hole) and your golf score to give you an overall score for the event. And no you may not use a golf cart!

Glad the sink leak is fixed. A new garbage disposal sounds needed.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 2:54 PM
I like the idea of speed golf!  Is that a real thing, or did you make it up? :toolazytogoogle:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 3:43 PM
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-10-10 12:51 PM
Hope the golf is tolerable.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 6:11 AM
I am not happy about this weather! I want my fall!!  Hopefully later in the week we'll get some high 60s.  Planning to run 5 today - finishing up my coffee and reading an article now, then I'll go.  Tomorrow will be SDO. Slowly getting back into it.  I bet that once I'm feeling a bit more in shape, I'll end up pregnant. Ah well!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-10 6:40 AM
Some of our leaves turned, but others dried up and dropped. At least we got some color out of fall.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 8:40 AM
Very possibly on the catching pregnant just as you feel you are back in your running rhythm. Are you still nursing Miss P?
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 2:54 PM
yeah, still nursing... but I do have my period back.  got it last month.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-10-10 12:51 PM
How's the PhD program going so far?  Have you settled into any kind of routine?
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 2:55 PM
it's going well!  It's crazy intense and so much work and I'm always behind... but that's kind of how these things go, I think.  Routine - well, working on that.  Moving 4 weeks  ago really was ideal timing (2nd week of program) - NOT. 

how about you and your program?  Is it still ongoing?  I recently decided to take a FB break so I'm not in the loop.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-10 3:52 PM
At least you'll be in shape for pregnancy. :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-10 6:44 AM
Not happy about summer in October. :mutmad:  It's currently 72 with 100% humidity and is supposed to be in the upper 80s the next three days. :cry:  I really thought by October the weather wouldn't be quite this awful.  I ran a slow, very sweaty five miles.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 8:08 AM
so gross.  blah. good job getting out there anyway.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 8:40 AM
Neither are we, and not only is it hot and windy (albeit dry), it's smoky. Ugh.

That weather of yours sounds truly awful. Good for you for the 5 miles.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-10-10 12:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your miserable weather!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-10-10 12:47 PM
Hi all, I'm hoping to start posting here again regularly, to keep me accountable.  I've been inspired by the 30-day challenges that reebs and LuckiestPenny did a while back (last year?) - other forumites did them as well, I know, including me at one point - to aim for a 30-day challenge, starting today, of getting in 10,000 steps a day. 

I've heard a lot about the 10,000-step level as being a benchmark of sorts for getting in physical activity, and never paid much attention to it - I always figured, I walk a lot, I run a bit, so, pah, 10,000 steps is nothing!  But then this summer I discovered that I have a pedometer-app-thingie on my iPhone that tracks my steps automatically (as long as I'm carrying the iPhone when I'm walking/running, of course) and I discovered that I don't actually take nearly as many steps in a day as I think I do. 

Yesterday, for example, I walked a half-hour from my house to a store, and a half-hour back, then went for a 25-minute run with the dogs, and that only took me to circa 8,500 steps (I also did quite a bit of housework/laundry yesterday which meant I moved around the house a lot, without my phone, so I had more steps than what was recorded, but still).  And that amount of walking and running is at the upper end of what I do these days. 

So, I figure aiming for 10,000 steps/day will give me a clear and measurable goal to aim for to be moving my butt every day for quite a bit of activity - and push me out of the zone of "oh, I ran yesterday, I should rest by taking the bus to work" or "oh, I'm tired today, I won't walk home from work but take the bus instead" - stuff I'm doing too much of these days.  After doing two back-to-back 33-mile hikes in the Rocky Mountains this summer, laden with a pack, surely I can manage to walk or run a few kilometres every day!

So - Day 1 is today - the day is half-over and I'm at 5,050 steps.  Planning to hit the gym after work for some weights and stair intervals and then walk home, so I'm on track to meet my goal for today.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 2:56 PM
10,000 steps IS a lot.  I think it is around 5 miles usually?  Maybe more.  Good idea with the 30-day challenge.  I'm also trying to be more accountable.  Ugh.  Life. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 3:46 PM
Good to see you!

Good for the goal.

Back to back 33 mile hikes? Wow.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-10 3:53 PM
Hey, good to see you!
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 8:42 AM
3.2 with RN this morning. Saw a dead crow on the sidewalk and I was planning on reporting it so they could test it for West Nile, until I found out that I would also need to go back, bag it, ice it, and place it somewhere where the county health department could retrieve it. Sorry, not happening.

Hot and windy and likely to stay that way. And there's a big fire in Anaheim Hills so the entire LA basin is smoky.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-10 11:39 AM
I have a friend up in Sonoma who is getting asthma from the fires up there. Now Anaheim. And Dominic is leaving tomorrow to visit Mike. Its like every time he plans to go there something bad happens (last time it was the small plane landing on the 405 outside John Wayne).
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 3:46 PM
Where is Mike?

And yes I remember the plane landing on the 405. The miracle was that the plane actually found a clear spot on that highway!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 3:47 PM
6.04 on the TM. I'm trying to get back to lunch runs more often. Work is still busy but I am taking this time for me.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-10 3:54 PM
Bagging and icing might be one thing if you're at home, but I don't blame you for not wanting to carry a dead crow around with you.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-10 4:45 PM
ok, I read that as a dead COW at first.  A dead crow isn't great either, but a dead cow would be extremely alarming to see at 4am!

the fires :sad:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-10 4:52 PM
Also difficult to bag and put on ice for transportation. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 9:30 PM
If we had discovered a dead cow, DD would have been there in short order with tools to turn it into neatly packaged steaks.
- - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-10 11:45 AM
Run this morning then yoga. I am glad my schedule can be flexible on Tuesday as I like this class at 930am a lot.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-10-10 12:50 PM
Flexible work schedules are so awesome, aren't they? I usually do a 9:00 am Pilates class on Fridays - too busy for it right now but hope to get back to it in December - and appreciate the flexibility I have to work around that.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 3:48 PM
Flexible schedules are wonderful. Except when companies think that the flexible schedule should make up for low pay.
- - By BRunR [ca] Date 2017-10-10 12:29 PM
I'm back in the city again..getting harder and harder to be in the city post country weekends. Northern Vermont is wonderful. Then again so many  non city beautiful places to wander around in North America. For those who like being out of the city.
Thoroughly enjoyable 1-2 hr  dirt road and trail runs Sat, Sun, Mon. This morning was weights, core, and the Bow Flex thingy.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-10-10 12:49 PM
Hi!  Nice to meet you.  :happy:  I've been around here a long time but not posting lately.  I live in Canada with my husband, daughter and dogs and enjoy xc skiing and mountain hiking, in addition to running.  I'm getting back into running after a long layoff due to a miserable case of plantar fasciitis, which seems (knock wood) to have finally subsided.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-10 3:48 PM
Amen on the number of beautiful places. There are some not so nice ones but I think the lovely ones outnumber them.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-10 4:54 PM
Are you in southeastern Canada, or do you just happen to get a Canadian flag?  I do like cities, but I also like being able to get away.  It sounds like you are in a good location for both!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Back To Summer Tuesday dailies