Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Monday daily
- - By indie [us] Date 2017-10-09 8:55 AM
Good morning! I am feeling my usual non-creative self so your topic today is to come up with a  topic and answer your own question. :p

Also the usual blather, food, workouts/rest/sloth report.

Bonus: Where the heck is fall?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-09 9:46 AM
Since Indie left this so wide open.....I'm soliciting your suggestions.  Next week will be my last week of teaching cycling class for a while (see my tag line) and I have one more class to design.  I came up with a theme..."Out with the old, in with the new" which I thought might be appropriate :roll:  So, what I want is workout appropriate music suggestions...some "old", some "new".  TIA!!!
We were discussing taper the other day.  Since my hip complains a bit more after riding (or lawn mowing, or many other activities) I'm going to "taper" a bit next week and teach my last 2 classes (Wed. am & Thurs. pm) "off the bike".  So, I'll be roaming around the room coaching my riders without actually doing the ride myself.  I've done this a few times by necessity when a person comes in after all the bikes are filled and always run out of things to say.  Any motivating cues for me to bark at them? :laugh:

My workout this morning was teaching cycling class & the usual exercises afterwards. 

Two loads of laundry in process this morning.

Bonus:  Yeah, even here in the Northeast it's been really HUMID!  Last Monday morning it was 47 degrees...this morning 72, with a similar dew point :cry:  S/B a little better tomorrow & more seasonable by Wednesday.  80 degrees next Sunday :wtf:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-10-09 12:06 PM
Dig deep, almost there? :p

How long is the recovery period for your hip?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-09 12:16 PM
I've scheduled subs for my classes for 4 weeks.  At that point I hope to have been doing sufficient walking to be on my feet for an hour or more and I start back teaching off the bike, maybe doing some easy riding on the bike.  One of the other instructors told me she was back teaching, completely on the bike in 6 weeks :shocker!:  A running buddy of mine was running on a treadmill in the PT office in < 4 months.

Everyone is different.   "Complete" recovery is TBD and I'm not even sure how to define that...maybe when I'm moving around normally and don't think about favoring the (formerly) bad side any longer?
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-10-09 1:16 PM
What if you did covers? Play the song by the original band and then by the cover band? Thinking like Higher Ground, Smooth Criminal..I'm sure there are other upbeat, spin-appropriate examples I'm missing.

I find it motivating when instructors try to get me to increase my cadence. I go to a class at my Y called RPM, which is all about keeping pace with the song, and the suggested cadence is always 5-10 above where I can go, but I like when the instructor walks around and tries to get me on the beat. *tries* :wink:

The weather blows.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-09 2:08 PM
I started looking at originals & covers I have.  Some might work but it could be too repetitive and both versions might not "work" for cycling.  I've used Sia's recording of California Dreamin' for a heavy climb but the original by the Mama's and the Papa's doesn't work as well.  Billy Idol's cover of Mony Mony is one of my favs for sprints but the Tommy James and the Shondels version doesn't have quite as much energy. 
I spent time this afternoon looking thru my iTunes library and am thinking of using "old" songs recorded before 2000 vs. "new" ones recorded after that.  My "old" music would include stuff back as far as the 60s & 70s.  Maybe I'll put covers in between the old & new......

"RPM" is also a type of indoor cycling class (I think previously promoted as "Les Mills").  I think they are very specific about trying to have riders cadence the same as the BPM (or half the BPM) of the song.  It's harder to design a class for riders to match their RPMs to the BPMs of the songs.  I guide them to ranges (60-80 for "hills", 80 - 110 for "flats").
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-09 1:25 PM
I tried to come up with both an Old and a New song but only could get New. Feeling Good by Michael Buble is a good climbing song with a good pulsing beat.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-09 1:53 PM
I'll have to check that out.  Originally recorded by Nina Simone (not counting performances in the play).  Thanks!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-09 1:21 PM
My topic would have been Muggy Monday. It was oppressive this morning with temps in the upper 70's and 100 humidity. There was a little mist at the house when I walked the dog but no such luck while we ran. One guy bailed due to a headache and the other was running late so we cut our losses and did 8 of the 10 miles planned. There doesn't look to be much of a break in the weather this week and there is a hilly half marathon on Saturday that we are glad that we did not sign up for.

Had a couple of adult soccer games yesterday and during the first one I recognized one of the players as the owner of a deli that I get lunch from about once a week. I made sure to go there today and congratulate him on the win and he asked how long I had been a referee. Since I just started doing adult games it was our first interaction.

Bonus: That's the $64K question.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-10-09 1:24 PM
The weather is oppressive. I am impressed you managed 8! Yesterday I weeded our lawn for about 10 minutes and had sweat dripping off me.

The games sound cool. Are you refereeing and playing?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-09 3:12 PM
I stopped playing about 15 years ago when I started getting serious about running and was worried that I'd get injured playing. I became a referee about 8 years ago when my son started out. I waited until he had graduated and then added high school games and just this year upgraded so I could do adult games.

It keeps me busy and adds "time on my feet" training which supplements my running and I use the money I earn to help pay for my races.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-10-09 6:17 PM
very cool about soccer. Did you play soccer when you were younger? I knew a couple of women who played adult soccer andheard it can be pretty rough.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-10-09 1:21 PM
Hi, Anu. My topic would be guilty-pleasure book recommendations. I need something to keep me awake and engaged during middle of the night feedings. Something that's above total beach read garbage, but still easy reading - like The Help. I have a few other books in my queue, but find myself nodding off after about 30 seconds or reading the same page 7 or 8 times :meh:

I have barely been running outside of a few stroller miles here or there. I have been good about getting in walks, though.

Food: So much. Too much. I am nursing, which I think makes me hungrier. I'm also not sleeping, and I think that is having an impact on my appetite as well. For how much I didn't want sugar when I was pregnant, my sweet tooth is back with a vengeance, and I'm eating ice cream, cookies, and the damn gingerbread from Whole Foods at an alarming rate.

Sloth: Yes. It's 3:20 PM EST, and I am still in my pajamas. This is not entirely unusual. I did do laundry today.

Bonus: No idea. It is a steambath in Philadelphia. Temps are a bit more fall-like later this week only to rebound back into the 80s by next Monday. :cry:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-09 1:49 PM
Yes. It's 3:20 PM EST, and I am still in my pajamas.  :laugh:  Yeah, check with me in about 2 weeks :laugh:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-09 3:55 PM
If you are a dog person, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a fun,  easy read.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-10-09 6:16 PM
Have you read Sophie Kinsella's books? Also Louise Rennison's Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series are great for silly mindless fun.
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-10-10 6:58 AM
I am reading Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen.  It took me a little while to get into it, but I am starting to really appreciate the main character's voice.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-10-09 2:57 PM
I have the day off today. Been working through some insurance stuff for my Dad's hospital stay. A pain. The system is so messed up.

I am in a period of extended sloth. Just too much going on. I plan to get back on track...tomorrow. :roll:: pbbt:

Bonus: It's still really warm here. Morning in the high sixties and seventies.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-10-09 9:39 PM
Hi Anu! :waving:

It's almost midnight and you gave me too much work to do for the daily so I just came to say hi!: pbbt:

5 miles in humid grossness.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-10-11 8:10 PM
:wavingback: :hug:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Monday daily