Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Question
- - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-10-08 9:43 PM
This morning, I was at the gym.  Did an hour on the arc  trainer, stretched, lifted weights, and did a brisk thirty minute walk on the treadmill, to see if the back of my lt. knee went into spasm (fortunately, it didn't).
I was puzzled by the fact that in the TM next to me, a young woman apparently ran for an hour (the machine stops after an hour and she was 20 minutes into a run when I started).  She was watching something on
a tablet.
My question is why was she running on the TM?  It was a beautiful fall morning, and there aren't any safety issues running in this particular neighborhood.  When I could run, the only time I was on the TM was if the weather
outside was really crappy, which was rare.  Am I missing something here?  Is it that many younger people like to have their electronic devices with them all of the time?  I honestly don't know.
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-08 10:52 PM
I'm going to make my first appearance in a long time at the gym tomorrow. I will see some people running and some people walking on treadmills. I will wonder why they are doing it. These are not all young people with electronic devices.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2017-10-09 3:38 AM
your response gave me another idea - steady footing.  Usually for old peeps, but TMs are flat and smooth.  But young people can have recently sprained an ankle or had an ACL repaired or whatever and need to be careful as well.  (been there, done that many times... :blush: )
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2017-10-09 3:36 AM
does your gym have childcare?  Maybe she had a kid there.  I also like the TM because of pacing reasons.  Love tempo runs on the mill.  How's the area for running immediately around the gym?  If she is planning on lifting afterwards, especially if lifting is her focus - not running, then that would make sense too.  Maybe whatever she was watching on her tablet was for school/work and was important.  I did most of my reading/studying for school while on the stationary bike.  And then there's also always the general safety reason. For whatever reason, maybe she just feels safer on the TM.  I can certainly sympathize with that as well.
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-10-09 7:45 AM
different people...different preferences.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-10-09 9:07 AM
Sometimes the TM surface is kinder to the knees etc ?
Parent - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-10-09 9:09 AM
I did that for a long time when I was having severe GI issues. Had to be near a potty at all times. You never know what sort of health issues people may have.
Also sometime I would do the TM because there is no flat ground where I live and my legs couldn't handle it all the time.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-09 9:29 AM
Some people are more comfortable on a TM than running outside, especially if they have had a bad experience. It took me a long time to venture out onto the main roads again after someone jumped me 12 years ago. And for many women all neighborhoods have potential safety issues.

I agree that outside is more attractive, however it's possible she may have been nursing a potential injury, or worrying about needing a bathroom in a hurry, or needed to get whatever was on the tablet accomplished (could be a student needing to study).

I run on the TM rather than outside when downtown because the number of traffic signals makes for a slow and interrupted run, is that an issue in your neighborhood?
Parent - - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-10-09 6:15 PM
Thanks for all of the responses.  There is daycare at the gym, but not on Sunday.  The area is very residential, and you can easily go four or five miles (six miles if do a big circle) if you want to do a neighborhood run and completely avoid signals.  Minimal traffic on a Sunday morning. Stop signs every 1/4 to 1/2 mile, except next to schools.  Roads are in good condition.  Terrain varies from pancake flat to short rolling hills, depending where you are.  Longest hill about 700 yards, and can be easily avoided.  Not that I trust any motorist, but they are better around here than in most places.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-09 8:35 PM
Hmm. So not a place where signals would be an issue, and you're close enough to the coast that the weather should have been nice. Not sure why she wanted to run inside except perhaps to stay close to a bathroom.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2017-10-10 3:31 AM
so you've ruled out a few of the answers above.  There are still 101 reasons why she might prefer the TM.

-constant, controllable, stable surface is better for some coming off of injuries

It's easier to stop and be done instead of stuck 3 miles out, if you are coming back from an injury or a health issue.

If you have a child at home, sometimes it's important to be available to get home ASAP instead of "oh wait.  I have to finish 3 miles and then I'll be home"

Ditto above if you are a caregiver for an elderly person or invalid

Allergies - the longer I'm outside, the sicker I feel.  Sometimes it's nice to not have to deal with that.

Comfort - a lot of the time, I find the steady, monotonous drum of a TM comforting.  You may find that weird.  I don't.  I suspect a lot of people on the autism spectrum would also find it comforting.

Safety - there's a whole range of things that may have happened in this person life why they just may feel safer on the TM on that particular day.

And perhaps this person only have 1 hour in her day to herself.  She really wants to watch some stupid TV show, but knows she probably should exercise.  I don't see anything wrong with combining both.

Don't judge someone you don't know.  You have no idea what's going on in their life.  She's not hurting anyone...  Yes, this is a hard lesson to learn...
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-10-09 7:35 PM
Obviously she’s on the treadmill to be close to you. :mischief:
Parent - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-10-09 11:51 PM
I would hope her taste in men would be better than that (don't do the emoticon thing).
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-10-10 1:17 AM
I learned a lot time ago, you can never guess/second guess what shoes someone is walking in. :wink:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-10-10 7:21 AM
I used to work in a gym. I dunno man but some people are just gym people. I think they like people watching, being watched by people, climate control, tv, etc. :wtf:
Parent - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2017-10-10 8:55 AM
It could be she didn't know how far she wanted to go and wanted the option to extend or cut the run short.  I know I've done this before.  Days where you really don't know what you have and don't want to have to walk 3 miles home.  Could be the tablet was something she needed to see for work/school (I know I've done webinars and the like when working out) or simply it was her only ability to have her tv time. 

Outdoor running isn't for everyone.  Nor is treadmill running.  Let each do what pleases them.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-10-10 9:09 AM
I actually enjoy the stable environment of a treadmill.
AC, TV, pacing, room for drinks and other stuff.
Since treadmilling was the only thing I did at a gym, wasn't worth the membership money.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2017-10-10 11:26 AM
I know several people who only run on the treadmill because they can't stand running without some sort of TV show or movie to distract them. Kind of like how I am when it comes to biking. I would much rather bike indoors where I can read than risk going outside.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-10 12:03 PM
I hope this was not at the planet of fitness as that place is a judgement free zone. I confess though I sometimes wonder the same thing. It's likely a familiarity, simplicity thing. Know the distance, the pace, entertainment readily available, etc. Perhaps some other workouts are to take place before or after the run. Might as well just run at the gym. When I started running I was fitness runner so most of my runs were at the gym before or after doing weights. It was easy one stop shopping. Then I met some people at the gym who ran and would sometimes get outdoors to run with them before or after my other workouts. Once I changed from a fitness runner to more of a "hey I like to run" runner I started running almost exclusively outdoors and now that's all I do.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-10-10 3:54 PM
she is obviously a monster.
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-10-10 6:07 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-11 5:48 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-10-11 7:28 AM
:laugh:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Question