Up Topic Communities / Masters / Ironman Saturday - 10/7
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-07 6:48 AM
What's Up?

Someone posted this link on Facebook. Use it to see how IJen is doing:
https://track.rtrt.me/e/IRM-MARYLAND-2017#/tracker/RX6E9LD5
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-07 6:54 AM
Good luck Jen!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-07 7:02 AM
We're having close to record heat here today. I hope Maryland isn't having the same issue or it'll be a tough race for Jen.

This morning I took my left calf to the park for a run.  I did a very slow 8 miles with no issues.  I wasn't sure how far I would go, but once I hit 5 without any calf pain, I decided to go for 8.  Moon was great. I took my headlamp but never had to use it because the moon was so bright. I had a little battle with a skunk. I saw him on my first lap around the pond in the grass to my right. I couldn't tell if he was headed west into the woods or east towards the pond. On my second lap I saw he was making a tactical move to the south, trying to out flank me and going to an area with trees where he could hide in the shadows.   I didn't see him on the 3rd lap.  On the 4th lap I saw him near the edge of a shadow of a tree and when he saw me looking he slipped into the shadow. On the next couple laps I couldn't see him but I could sense he was waiting for me to tire out so he could attack when I was most helpless.  Nothing ever did happen and the sun started coming up so we both live for another day.

There were a few issues after the install yesterday. I got them fixed by the end of the day but I'll need to sign-on to work today and install the changes.

I better get a shower and get dressed in case the kids get here earlier than planned. They were going to leave at 2:00 AM and arrive around 11:00 this morning.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-07 9:27 AM
Good job with the run and the install. 

Enjoy your visit with the kids.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-07 8:26 AM
I went to the 1 mile marker for the Hennepin 100.  Misha and I joined 4 of my club members to cheer the runners through and to help them navigate the first questionable turn.  It was such an amazing sight.  this is the 3rd year for the ultra and it has grown from  70 to 450 participants.  Some were running only in shorts and others looked as if they had their entire living room with them.  

As Misha and I were leaving a girl came through looking totally confused...she missed the start and was 30 minutes behind.  I encouraged her with the promise of homemade sugar cookies at aid station #1.  So then I had to drive out to #1 and ask them to save a cookie for her.   It was even more fun to see the runners come through the aid station.  It is at 6 miles and last year almost no one stopped.  This year they had heard about the cookies and everyone stopped.

Now I'm pumped to go for a run.  Speaking of runs; Misha ate a frog on the canal.  So yeah, she'll probably have the runs.:wink:

Good luck to our Jen!  I hope for good weather and the wind at your back.:happy:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-07 8:48 AM
I wonder if people who run 100 mile races have some sort of exercise OCD. It just doesn't make sense to me. Not that it bothers me or I think there is something wrong with it. But you've got to have a misplaced gene or something to want to do it. Right?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-07 8:54 AM
I can't fathom it.  

They all must have the same mental power because the bodies were all shapes and sizes.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-07 9:27 AM
Did you bake the sugar cookies?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-07 10:16 AM
No, a couple of our running club members are fabulous bakers.  They have a running shoe shaped cutter and worked all night on them.  They also captain 2 of the aid stations.  Sweet girls.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-10-07 11:28 AM
I thought of the Hennepin runners getting started this morning and you being out there cheering them on.  I always thought of crewing for someone in a 100 and maybe running the last 50K with them or something.  No one I know personally runs that far. 

Our outdoor cat was carrying around a chipmunk yesterday.  Melissa was grossed out.  Misha and the frog reminded me of that.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-07 1:47 PM
The 50k starts at 5:30 this evening and has the same finish as the ultra.  You could do that next year Mike.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-10-07 6:10 PM
That does sound good.  I love night trail running.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-07 9:27 AM
Went out for my power walk in the neighborhood -- so 3.5 miles done!  Ran into a young girl who is on a cross country team at school, but they didn't have a meet today.  Her coach told her she still had to run, so there she was running with her ponytail swinging.   She brought a smile to my face!

Well I too need to shower and get going.  We have a football game this evening.  Hoping for a W!

Enjoy your Saturday.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-10-07 11:31 AM
I drove to the trail around 8:00 this morning.  I ran 14.01 miles.  There is a frisbee golf course out there and they must be having a competition because there were dozens of vehicles and lots of people playing disc golf.  Saw a couple of families with small children walking the trails.  It is a nice fall day to be out. 

Hope Jen is killing it today!
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-07 11:35 AM
Jen doing well so far. It is hot here, for October. 84 Right now
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-07 1:48 PM
I clicked on Dave's link and got to watch her "JB icon" on the bike.:grin:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-07 1:59 PM
Jen just passed something called Mimosa Avenue on the run.  I'd have stopped for one.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-07 4:40 PM
There is no way I would run in the middle of the day when it's in the 80s. Especially a marathon after swimming and biking.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-07 6:51 PM
Is your smelly granddog there yet?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-07 7:39 PM
She's here but the rain won't be here until tomorrow so no smell yet.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Ironman Saturday - 10/7