Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Soup Thursday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 7:39 AM
Big crock pot of chicken vegetable soup in progress.
What are you eating today?
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 7:41 AM
Wednesday I did errands before the run so I got out early. The 45 minute run went well. I’m doing some light hills and the right knee is doing better.  Yoga done.
Today I am out to do the trail. It thundered earlier and I think I have a window to get out if I hurry. Yoga today. Posture work going well, I think. Without a sight line I’m not sure, have to go by feel.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-05 8:11 AM
Does your knee feel better when you run on the trails?  I think about you when I do some yoga poses. Posture is important. My grandmother always use to tell me to keep my shoulders back.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 12:24 PM
Knee is definitely getting better. I'm on an asphalt bike trail which is safer during the rut here since they are killing some of the deer.The thing about posture is that it is easy at my age to have started gradually bending over. I noticed that in myself and started on the correction work during my runs. I have a posture report in tomorrow's post. Our grandmothers were right! Mine said the same thing.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-05 9:53 AM
mmmm, soup.  I'm sure the yoga is helpful with stability on the trail.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 12:24 PM
The yoga is definitely helping the stability!
Parent - By BRunR [ca] Date 2017-10-05 3:28 PM
I agree flexibility is so important for balance.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-05 8:09 AM
I need to post more. I ran 3 miles on Monday and Wednesday, and this morning I did a few exercises. I am not consistent with my exercises. Running is better now that is it cooler. My work schedule is filling up more and now I have enough kids to at least pay bills.:laugh: I still have room for more. It's a nice mix of ages. It is a relief to have more work and I don't regret leaving BOCES. At first it was stressful. I think I am eating leftover ravioli tonight.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-05 9:54 AM
I'm glad to hear that your running is better and that you're getting sufficient work!  It seems like leaving BOCES was the right call.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 12:27 PM
We miss you when we don't hear from you. :hug: Necessities of life get in the way of consistency! :hug: Cooler helps a lot with running!
When I taught instrumental music eons ago, the mix of ages (4th thru 12th grades) was really fun.:grin:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-05 9:30 AM
Swim this morning. Half straight swim, half synchro drills.  I'm getting stronger at the synchro stuff.

Weird experience-- I was splitting the lane next to the wall with a guy I see there a lot. An older woman in a pink swim cap joined our lane without saying anything to either of us.  And she was doing backstroke.  So I almost had a head-on collision with her.  I tapped her on the head and basically said "this is my lane, what are you doing?"  She said "ok" and just kept swimming.  She then proceeded to bounce back and forth between our lanes, trying to stay out of our ways, but mostly failing. I was about to say something to her again, when another lane opened up and she moved.  I actually don't think she spoke much English (common at this gym, especially for the older generation) I'm happy to circle swim, but feel like I need to be asked or signaled in some way, and a head-on collision is not that way. Also, she was VERY slow. The guy and I were well paced for circle swimming together, but she would have been a roadblock the whole time.  Generally, if I join a lane for circle swimming, I try to join one where I'll match pace.

Oh well.

Eating meals in the Sukkah this week. We are lucky with the weather and it has been in the 50s at night.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-05 9:55 AM
Hmm.  That sounds like a frustrating swim experience.  It sounds like she doesn't fully understand the swim etiquette.

I had dinner in a Sukkah once and it was so lovely!  Glad you guys have good weather.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 12:31 PM
No one needs a concussion from swimming! Perhaps she never learned the etiquette?
That sounds exciting to eat meals in the Sukkah. Glad your weather has been decent for it. :happy:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-05 9:44 AM Edited 2017-10-05 9:54 AM
hiya friends!  Didn't run yesterday because I have class from 8:30 - 5:30 (yes really - a one hour break for lunch and that's it) on Wednesdays.  Had a meeting this morning then had to stop by our old house to do a couple of things for the realtor (we're in the process of getting it market-ready and will hopefully list it within the next 2 weeks), and now I'm back home and getting work done.  I plan to do 5 trail-ish (some on trails, some on the flat footpath) miles around 4:30 today.

On another note - I decided to take a Facebook break.  Started on Monday.  Post-LV, it was really starting to wreak havoc with my mental health and with my productivity.  So far, I'm getting a lot more done!  I do miss seeing pics of friends and babies etc., and I do communicate with lots of people via FB messenger, but somehow we'll all survive.  It's weird that I felt like I had to "announce" this to family and friends, so they wouldn't think I'd gone off the rails or something.  Ah the world of social media.

What am I eating today?  Hmmm, probably leftover veggie meatballs and whole wheat pasta (last night's dinner).  Tonight I may get takeout :lazy:

happy days to all!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 12:53 PM
We have sufficient obligations in our lives already. I've never done Facebook. The internet is a valuable resource, but it can get to be a time-suck even for me as a retiree. Time offs for some of these things can be healing and help to give perspective.
Leftovers can be even more flavorful the second day. :grin:
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-06 5:38 AM
I've been thinking of taking a fb break too. Did you leave or are just not going on? It is easy to get caught up in all the bad stuff.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-06 12:14 PM
I'm fine with posting here. Everyone is so sane! :laugh: Since I worked in IT when facebook started, I never started it or the social networking that came around that time.  Back in the late 90's I did AOL volunteer work but it was a very different time (no phones, devices) so what I did was on the desktop...scheduled by time, limited to the desktop and involved lots of teaching and learning. Security was still manageable at that time. :meh:
- - By BRunR [ca] Date 2017-10-05 3:37 PM
Any secrets to finding more enjoyment from yoga. I try to stretch every day and really want to but can't get myself to start doing yoga.
5 miles this morning followed by an hour of core and weights.
Oh and had pumpkin soup for lunch...mmmm...
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-05 8:41 PM
Stretches are really important so it is great that you are doing those. Great work on the 5 miler and weights. :cool:
In yoga, final rest and meditation are great relaxers. I do better with yoga in a certain class. Otherwise, I do better at home. There are always yoga DVDs as well. I prefer the very basic ones since I am not likely to be a pretzel at 75. :laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-06 9:22 AM
Yes. Stop doing it. :grin:

Not a yoga fan here, I know many people love it. But if you don't enjoy it, then maybe it's not for you.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-06 12:18 PM
+1  I can't say I enjoy yoga but it helps me stay flexible. At this age, flexibility is not a given.
Now weights, I just plain don't like it. :laugh:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-07 10:39 AM
There are a lot of different styles. Most yoga studios will let you do a month for a set price and you can try what you like best. There is Astanga, Vinyasa, Hatha, Bikram, some classes even mix it up with weights for a "Scuplt" style and some are more power some more restorative, some hot, you can try what you like!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Soup Thursday dailies