Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Throwback Thursday - 10/5/2017
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-05 6:29 AM Edited 2017-10-05 6:35 AM
Tom's question yesterday about CB radios had me thinking about other things from or popular in the 70s.  Can you remember what you had that seemed great back then?

Here are some things I dug up on the interweb with prices (dates are the date of the price I believe):

8 track record player - $169 - 1978 
Atari Video Computer System - $199 - 1979 
Automatic Phonograph - $39.88 - 1971 
Car 8 Track Stereo Tape Player - $38.99 - 1970 
Clock Radio - $9.94 - 1971 
JVC VHS Video Cassette Recorder - $695 - 1979 
Mr Coffee Coffee maker - $31.88 - 1978 
Olympia adding machine - $79.95 - 1970 
Polaroid - $17.99 - 1976 
Smith Corona Electric Typewriter - $199 - 1979 
Tape Cassette recorder - $29.88 - 1971 
Television Zenith, 25" color - $599 - 1976 
Toshiba Blackstripe 19 inch TV - $338 - 1978

(Pictures at http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/70selectrical.html)
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-05 6:34 AM Edited 2017-10-05 6:46 AM
After a couple restless nights I slept good last night. And unfortunately I slept too long which messed up my morning plans, but I did get to the gym for 20 minutes on the ARC trainer, and then some weight stuff. 

What I remember the most from that list is the Polaroid which I thought was the coolest thing ever invented, my clock radio which I used to listen to music in the evenings and then to wake me up in the morning, and playing with the tape cassette recorder.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-10-05 7:48 AM
Had a good run this morning though not as good as the other day.   Studying hard for my blood test in just a few minutes.  Then pack and go, heading to NC for a long weekend with grandkids.    Looking forward to lots of new adventures.   

Throwback???   How about throw away, as we still have much of that stuff somewhere around this house. Don't stop at 8tracks or cassettes, I still have reel to reel tapes.  

See you from the mountains.

Tom in DE

PS....We had a really nice interfaith prayer vigil on the lawn of church last night.   We put out ribbons and people passing by on the street could write a prayer for Las Vegas on the ribbon and hang it on the prayer line.  Lots of UofD students stopped by.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-05 7:55 AM
Your church has some of the best ideas.  I think it is a perk of living in a college town - you get some pretty good participation from the students.

The reel to reel comment brings to mind my high school band teacher.  He swore that reel to reel would be the only thing that would last.  He had all our concerts on them. (circa 1974)   He's gone now, I wonder if his wife still has them.

It's been a nasty week in America Tom, hug those grandkids extra tight.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-05 10:39 AM
I agree with your comment Dawn about Tom's church.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-05 7:51 AM
I remember using my high school graduation money for a clock radio and a Texas Instruments calculator.  I thought I had really made the big time moving those 2 things into my dorm room.  Oh, and then because the dorms were some big concrete superstructure I could only pick up one FM station!  Oh well, as long as I got to listen to American Top 40 on Sunday mornings.......:grin:

My run yesterday was good.  Not one of the best, but I've been having a 3 week string of bad runs and it was good to get past it.  Cars seemed to be drawn to me though.  I guess they couldn't see my orange shirt and magenta shoes.:laugh:

Yoga day today.  Michele told me in her email yesterday she is yoga-ing 3 times a week.  I guess it was never even on the radar after her new hip but she is really enjoying it.  I like knowing what our Master's group is moving towards as we run a bit less.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-10-05 10:35 AM
In 1979 I turned 13, so my favorite 70s stuff include Stretch Armstrong, Simon, Atari, Rock'em Sock'em Boxing, Evel Kneivel windup motorcycle.  My family were "moving on up" in 1979 and we got cable TV.

I ran 10.05 miles this morning after the sun came up.  Another nice run in the countryside among cornfields, cows, and very little traffic.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-05 10:41 AM
Another good power walk this morning! 

I remember when cars had 8 track players and if you had a cassette player -- that was really an upgrade.

Enjoy your Thursday.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Throwback Thursday - 10/5/2017