Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Twilight Zone Tuesday Daily
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-03 9:44 AM
In the spirit of alliteration, let's talk about twilight.  Assuming you're a morning runner, is it dark when you work out, or do you wait for some light or at least twilight before you start?  Do you wear a headlamp or reflective gear for safety?  If you run at the end of the day, do you find it getting too dark, too soon?  What do you do to prepare for the coming darkness???

Tell us about today's workout - distance, effort, satisfaction level, etc. and then of course your blather.   

Bonus:  What have you witnessed while running that seemed more like a sequence from The Twilight Zone than real life?
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-10-03 10:20 AM
Since I have the luxury of being retired, I wait until maybe 20 min before sunrise to start running.  Even though technically, I should be visible by then, I still make sure I wear a bright colored shirt or have on something reflective.  I have some easy little clip on reflective things that I often use if I'm really concerned about being seen.  I hardly ever wear a headlamp.  The one I have doesn't seem to help much, and it's just one more thing to hassle with, so, I usually don't bother. 

I'll skip ahead to blather -- on Saturday, I started my LR just a little earlier than usual, and it was definitely twilight.  Plan was 16 miles with plenty of MP because my race is four weeks away.  Just after mile 1, out of nowhere, I rolled the hell out of my left ankle and crashed to the ground :mutmad::cry:  At first I thought I was dead.  DH was still in the parking lot, setting up his bike.  I called him and he said he'd come check on me.  After a minute, I stood up and found, to my surprise, that could actually put weight on my foot.  About then, another runner showed up, so I asked if I could run with him.  Poor guy -- that was probably his Twilight Zone moment -- a little old lady standing alone in the dark at a deserted intersection, asking if she could run with him :grin:  In about 3/4 of a mile, we met DH, and after a damage assessment, decided to continue.  I could feel my foot starting to swell, but it wasn't terribly painful, and the bones felt intact.  I was hoping the whole thing would clear up if I just kept moving.  By mile 8, I decided to cut the distance from 16 miles to 12.  I was doing OK, but the discomfort was getting noticeable, and it didn't make sense to risk making a bad situation worse.   In order to get in the last bit of distance though, I had to run an out and back to a local park where "Run Like a Princess," a themed race, was taking place with something like 800 participants.  This was insane.  I was plugging along, trying not to panic, focusing on keeping my gait steady and just finishing the effin' run, while running across the road from a throng of runners, both women and men :roll::shocker!:, dressed like Wonder Woman, Elsa, Snow White, Fiona, you name it.  Talk about Twilight Zone.  :laugh::laugh:

The remainder of Saturday was spent icing my gigantic, technicolor foot.   :shocker!:  Gawd.  I thought it was going to explode.  Sunday was about the same, except I added a couple of epsom salt soaks.  Yesterday I was able to take nice walk with DH but didn't try any running.  This morning, the ankle looked a ton better and I had no discomfort at all, so I stuffed the foot into a compression sock and got in 4 miles.  The schedule called for 10 but :roll: that ain't happening.  I was about 30 secs a mile slower than normal, and my gait wasn't as easy as I would like, but the foot held together.  I think I'll just have to write off this week and hope I can move my peak week into the first few days of what was going to be my three week taper, and hope everything comes together in time for the race.
Parent - By godogo [us] Date 2017-10-03 12:12 PM
I've rolled my ankle a few times.  I'm always surprised that I can get back running even though it looks bad (bruised, swollen).  I couldn't play tennis with the lateral movement but if I can take the impact, I can keep running forward.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-03 12:59 PM
Be careful with the ankle this week. I know it's hard, but a few missed runs won't hurt you.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-03 1:19 PM
Take it easy with that ankle!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-10-03 1:54 PM
oh no! a rest week sounds like a very good plan.

i do like the princess run twilight zone though.  :laugh::grin:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-03 5:55 PM
Be careful! Do as I say not as I stupidly do! Two years ago, my rolled ankle ended with 8 weeks off, 4 in a boot.....so take it easy!
Parent - - By godogo [us] Date 2017-10-03 12:05 PM
I thought the whole book series was pretty bad.  I was laid off in 2008 when it was all the rage and my step-daughters were reading them.  I read the whole series with them because I was bummed about the job loss and wanted something mindless to read....lo and behold! :laugh:  They were team Edward. :roll:

I love running at twilight especially now.  The sky is orange and the air is crisp.  I may get out tonight, but it doesn't look good.  I need to get a new running vest.  Martha has a neat strappy thing that a lot of people use a RTB.  My old one is falling apart.

In my last week of work at my old job.  The old boss is asking for me to document EVERYTHING I do so that she can do it after I leave. :meh:  I will document what I can but.....

Bonus:  Can't think of anything Twilight Zone-ish.  My running life has more of a sit-com than a suspense thriller.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-03 12:58 PM
I bet you would look stunning in Martha's strappy vest!   : pbbt:
Parent - By godogo [us] Date 2017-10-03 1:05 PM
Make me look "hippy". :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-04 7:05 AM
It's called a safety thong :roll: and it's pink. :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-03 5:56 PM
I star of the of the first book for the same reason.....to discuss with Blazergirl. As I could feel my brain shrinking with every sentence I read, I stopped halfway.:roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-03 12:57 PM Edited 2017-10-03 1:00 PM
Well, if I was running these days I'd be packing the headlamp in my pocket for evening runs that might push into the darkness. But I am not, though I keep pondering a run sometime this week. The knee feels better, I am just being aggressive with resting the damn thing.

Non-Workout: Weights at the gym, 2-3 miles of dog walking.

Bonus: About any aid station during a 100 mile race around 2-4am looks like the Twilight Zone. People moaning, passed out under blankets, and nothing much but a fire or camp lights to brighten the mood. Actually it's not that bad, just the one time at Superior. Mohican it was party time at the Fire Tower with spinning lights in the forest and rave music. Totally a different world from the singularity of your headlamp as you approached it.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-03 1:18 PM
Most of the time, our AM start time is determined by how far we are planning to run. We start at 6:30 for 10 miles and 6:15 for 12. We do adjust our Friday trail run as it is too dark now at 7 AM to run without a headlamp so we've shifted to 7:15. I don't normally wear a vest of blinkie lights but really ought to so that we are more visible. Now that we are getting some cooler weather I will try it and see.

Today was 5 solo miles at noon. No need for extra light or reflective gear. It was an okay run since the weather is more pleasant. I skipped one of the water stops that we hit during the really hot days.

Bonus: We were running last week and another runner was a block or two ahead of us. There was a sound from a tree and the next thing we saw was a squirrel falling to the ground right in front of the other runner. It appeared to be dead as the other runner went by but then groggily started moving and got out of the road as we ran past.:laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-03 1:27 PM
I used to run every Thursday night at 6:00 or 6:30PM.  So, during certain times of the year it would be twilight or dark by then.  For many, many years I did not wear anything reflective, perhaps just a light colored shirt.  In my later days of running I were a reflective vest in the dark.  These runs were on reasonably lit streets so a headlamp wasn't necessary. 

Today is an SDO since I had pre-admission testing appointments in Philly.

Blather:  Hip surgery is 3 weeks from yesterday.  Today I had pre-admission appts., 9am for cardiology and 11am for more general stuff & bloodwork.  These were at facilities 1 and 2 blocks from the hospital where I'll have surgery.  The 9am appt. went quickly & uneventful, I was out of there by 9:40.  While I was killing time at Au Bon Pain with OJ and a cookie, I got a call from my surgeon's office that he needed me to get a standing X Ray so I should go to orthopedics, 1 floor up after my 11am testing appt.  I suggested going immediately since I was literally across the street and had over an hour.  That turned out ok and I made it to my 11am appt. on time.  They had me sit with an admin person to register and then I waited and waited and waited until almost 12:30 for the tech to take my blood pressure and NP to get more info from me, listen to my heart, give me some instructions for surgery day and have another tech take blood.  : pbbt:  Oh well, at least that's done!

Bonus:  One time on a clear night with a full moon we decided to run on a golf course and a couple were having sex on one of the greens :shocker!:
I wasn't on this run with him but a running friend who is an undertaker fulfilled a customers last wish by distributing his ashes along the same golf course.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-10-03 1:49 PM
It's dark. during the winter, sunrise is after i get to work at 8 am. :shocker!: I carry a flashlight and try to wear bright colors and I often wear a blinkie light on the back. I worry more about walking to and from the bus and being seen then when i am out running. Trying to cross some streets from the bus is difficult and there are no sidewalks in our neighborhood so i've added a blinkie light to my backpack that i use in the winter. It does help!

no workout today. it's a rest day and i had a very early morning chiro appointment. I had very strange runs last week. Some very good and some very bad. Interestingly, i could not correctly do some of the exercises assigned after some of the bad workouts. but then i had a great progression run sunday and everything felt great. and afterwards, i could easily do the exercises correctly and with no pain. Now i am feeling the back issue in a more diffuse area into my shoulder and hip. things are shifting around and for the better it seems to me. I never feel it when i'm running. Part of the chiro appointment was with a trainer then too. they combine that in this office. Unfortunately i think i got the trainer who is very nice, goofy and rather useless. :roll:

bonus: sadly with the ever increasing homelessness issue here in seattle, i'm more likely to see things that i'd rather not. :sad:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Twilight Zone Tuesday Daily