Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Taper madness Monday
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-02 12:05 PM
Do/did you ever get taper madness? If so, tell us about your worst case of it. What do you do to mitigate it?

Weekend recap (+ Friday)
Today's workout/run
Blather

Bonus: Do you typically change your diet the week before a marathon? If so, how?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-02 12:25 PM
My taper madness is usually mild. I get the race anxiety dreams and cabin fever since I'm running less and don't know what to do with my extra free time. I also get phantom pains. After my run on Friday I felt like I had been hit by a truck, even though it was just a 5-mile run. So I guess taper is working! : pbbt: I just ride out the taper madness.

Friday + weekend recap: 30-min tempo run Friday, 12 miles on Saturday with fiance, and 5 easy miles yesterday. Lots of work on the house this weekend including re-paining the front door a color called Paradise Landscape. It's a turquoise/teal color, and I love it! I painted the inside of the door too since it was all torn up from the dog going nuts everytime the mailman comes, so I sanded that down and repainted it. We are putting a protective plastic sheet on it so he can't do any more damage.

Blather: I was looking at my calendar just now, and I am not working a full week at all during the month of October! I am taking this Friday and next Monday off for Chicago, so 4-day weeks this week and next, then I am taking the Friday before and Monday after MCM (10/22) off as well (I am running the 10k, fiance is a crazy person and is running the full), so 4-day weeks those weeks too. This makes me really happy! : pbbt:

Bonus: Usually I don't think about my diet during taper, but this time I am watching the amount of empty calories I'm consuming. So I'll be cutting down on the amount of ice cream I've been eating every night.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-02 12:37 PM
Life is so much better with four day work weeks.  I recently checked the amount of PTO I have for the remainder of the year and think I will have quite a few four day work weeks coming up soon.  (I just need to get the amount of work which needs to be completed to comply!)
Parent - By PTRunner [us] Date 2017-10-02 3:23 PM
Good luck next weekend :) I know quite a few people doing Chicago!  Is your fiance doing that one as well?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-02 12:33 PM
Since I started running 4 marathons a year, I really don't experience taper madness, mostly because work and the kids had me so busy, I didn't have time to think about my races.  The recent exception was before my 50 mile race last November....nothing freaks me out more than the UNKNOWN.:laugh: Also, the fact I had no time goal for most of the races made it easy not to worry about them.  Some I ran well and earned BQs, some were clusterfkkks and I really didn't care one way or the other what my time was.  I think the best thing to do during taper madness is to enjoy the things you typically don't get to enjoy while training hard, such as sleeping, reading, or maybe watching something mindless on TV.

I am all pool running, all the time right now:roll:.....1.5 hours Friday, 2.5 hours Saturday, 1.5 hours Sunday and 1.5 hours this morning.  I have transitioned the size of the flotation belt I wear in the pool from a wrap around thing, to three small blocks, down to one, tiny block. This really gets my HR going and is definitely going to tone my arms more as they are cranking to keep up with my legs which are cranking to help me stay afloat.  My triceps are aching just typing this! I MAY go to boxing class tonight, but my leg is still in pain. I am supposed to have an MRI this afternoon to rule out a stress fracture. :meh:  Hopefully, it is just a muscle/tissue thing.  I have my first ART session scheduled for Wednesday. 

Blather: I have been working on a BIG DEAL since mid-July and it died today.  Even though I put a ton of work into it, I won't allow myself to be mad, just disappointed.

Bonus:  I typically just try to eat less, since I am not running as much.  Of course, I am still hungry all the time, so I ATTEMPT to feed the hunger with fruit.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-02 12:39 PM
Not really taper madness but definitely nervous energy. Maybe that is the madness? The few times I had it typically I would post goofy things on the forum (arm panties, garminize my lawn, etc.). Nothing really helps mitigate it completely but the race!

Weekend recap: I was pretty lazy. Mowed the yard, walked the dogs, went to the art museum for the first time in ages, walked around there. Took a nap. Watched some college football. Soaked in the hot tub. Had a few beers. Took the Lady out to Coventry Woods where we waked up the big hill and down for 3.5 miles. Sat out on the back deck, iced the knee, and read. Watched some of the red zone. Walked the dogs some more. Nearly took another nap.

Non-workout: Nothing

Bonus: No too much, but I do go on a pasta binge that final week. I have a couple of different varieties I make. I also take in some sports drink in the days leading up to the race as a casual beverage instead of just water all the time.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-02 12:42 PM
I have been wearing a calf panty almost constantly for the past week and have referred to it as such.  Apparently, that term is not popular with the boys in my house and I am now forbidden from using it.  :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-10-02 3:54 PM
:laugh::laugh: I have my fiance calling them calf panties as well
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-10-02 1:08 PM
I didn't really get taper madness, just some restlessness since there wasn't as much working out to do. 

I swam 1600 meters on Friday, dedicated Saturday to grass cutting & some leaf cleanup, and I swam 800 meters yesterday.

Today I taught cycling class & did the usual core & shoulder stuff afterwards.

I plan a pre-surgery "taper" :roll:  Wed. morning & Thurs. night (before Monday surgery) I'm not going to ride the bike while teaching.  My hip gets achier after riding so I want to give it a bit of a rest to calm down.

Going to Philly tomorrow morning for pre-admission testing with the hospital peeps.  Have to see a cardiologist at 9am and NP at 11am.  Two separate buildings down the street from the hospital.  Going to be a long morning, if not day : pbbt:

Bonus: I make sure to eat pasta and more of it!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-10-02 2:22 PM
It's been a while since I've really tapered properly for a race so it hasn't been too bad. I try to get more sleep and stay away from doing extra yard work (not really hard to do) to make sure I don't do something stupid like dropping something on my foot.

Weekend was busy with us hosting a party for the local people we couldn't invite to our son's wedding. I ended up having to install the flagstones in a spot where the steps come down from the deck. Most fun was having my son and DIL join us for our run on Saturday morning. DIL is running a half marathon this Saturday with her dad, brother and sister and hadn't gotten in as much training as she would have like so she was cramming by running 8 miles with the group at the dam. My son decided that he would run too even though he hasn't run since May and never run as far as 8 miles. It was an out and back course and they were only a half mile behind us after we turned around so I went back with them and ran them in. We had to take a couple of walk breaks on the bigger hills, but they both did very well. It gave them something to brag about later when some of my running friends came to the party.

10 miles this morning. We finally got some cooler weather as it was in the lower 50's. We have soooo much leftover food from the party that even though we went a bunch home with the bride's parents and our son we will be eating it for months.

Bonus: I will eat more carbs towards the end of the week before the race. I'll also snack on salty pretzels and hydrate a little better than usual.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Taper madness Monday