Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Frosty Monday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 5:28 AM
Getting colder here.
Post. :happy:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 5:32 AM
Thursday the temps had dropped drastically but the colder 60° felt good. I am still being cautious with the knee and doing my strengthening exercise for it.
Friday was classes, yoga and meditation. The tea classes are neat as we can sample various teas and desserts with them.
Saturday was SDO but with some yoga and stretches.
Sunday Buddy and I were out there on the trail and it was 42° F. There was scattered frost as well. We did a good solid 60 minutes. I was dressed for freezing temps. The capri length pants are necessary since I have been needing the knee strap but I didn’t mind the cold. Normally I would go to tights. With tights the knee strap doesn't work. :meh:
Today I am out to do the trail and a few errands. After that DC and I may do a hike.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 6:10 AM Edited 2017-10-02 6:12 AM
I wonder what people do with knee straps in the winter?:wtf: I'll bet this question has come up.

Dessert sampling seems "funner" than teas.:wink:

I'm glad you had a good run with Sunday Buddy
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 6:34 AM
The rosemary lemon shortbread bars were so fragrant! The instructor made them with fresh rosemary.
We are also learning that at a tea party one may turn down a given food/drink politely. :laugh: One class is the actual taste and structures of the tea plant, the other is the presentation of an actual tea party.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 1:08 PM
I know it might look a bit silly but could you wear the knee strap under the tights when it is too cold for the capris?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 3:22 PM
I can't wear it under or over. It will come apart and pop off either place. I'm working on the strengthening so that I can go without the knee strap outside. It's essential inside on the track because of the darned turns.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 6:07 AM
Training for a 1/2 in November.

I cut back my long run and weekly mileage distance to focus on speed work and pacing. The good news is my 8, 9 and 10 mile training runs are faster than I can remember. I am hoping I can run my 12 mile runs and maintain that pace by November 12th. The weekends leading up to the race are busy but hoping I will find time for some quality long runs.

Life is crazy, work is crazy. DD Is enjoying  school much more this year. I'm glad she went back instead of starting over somewhere else.

I've been sleeping a ton due to work and my training.:meh:

Had a nonstop weekend. My friend (sometimes known as URP) got married. I had a small part in the wedding. (She called me and we set aside our differences. ) So I had rehearsal dinner, wedding, and reception. I also had 2 birthday parties and two group runs including my own.
Not surprisingly I took today off from work. :laugh:

Will go to lift class tonight.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 6:43 AM
Great work on the training! Cooler weather also helps us to speed up without even trying to do so.
DD made a great decision to go back to where she was before. That way she can build on what she already had done.
Sleep is vital. If you get more sleep you can do things with less effort. Also, life in general is easier to manage if you have sufficient sleep.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-02 8:00 AM
Is DD in college (sorry I don't know) if so you can tell her my story - I was miserable at my freshman and sophomore years due to a variety of issues some my fault some not. I was all set to transfer to another school where I was sure I would be "happier". I flew out there and while there decided that it was so big that I probably would have been happier coming in as a freshman, but transferring as a junior wasn't going to fix my problems and I would probably just feel as lost and lonely there as my current college. So I went back and finished my current school, which was a "better" school in a lot of ways, and it probably led to my job offers and setup for my next phases in life. It was the first time I had made the CHOICE to choose my attitude. So a bit of growning up and maturity was also part of it and I did have a very good experience even though it started out rough.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 8:15 AM
I suspect that willbe the case with DD so I'll pass that on.

I think she had unrealistic expectations starting off though I tried to tell her, the first year can be difficult. She wanted to be in a sorority and that didn't work out. Her best friend left at the semester which was a shock to her. She had no idea. DD kept saying she felt too firmly entrenched in her routine to start over meeting new people. Then there was her annoying mother reminding her that she was there to get an education.:laugh:

The attitude of starting over this year  (even if it was the same school) was a game changer for her as well. I'm glad it's going better for her though I don't see her as often. Thanks for the perspective.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 1:09 PM
Nice runs -- sounds like a very busy weekend. Glad you are back on good terms with URP. And very glad that DD is enjoying school more and that she has figured out that she's there primarily to learn, not just to socialize. The first year is the hardest for many students.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-02 9:44 AM
45 min in the pool this morning. I did 15 min swim, 15 min of synchro drills, and 15 min swim.  The pool guy was there, so I hope it will be cleaner soon. That pool isn't the cleanest, but it is close to work!  It looks like enough of our synchro buddies want to continue that we are going to do 8 more sessions between now and the end of the year!!:cool:

Question-- is there something I can do for core strength without having to get on the floor in my office?  The floor isn't the cleanest, so I'd love to do something standing or squatting.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 1:10 PM
Glad your synchro will be continuing!

Not sure about core strength -- other than sucking in abs and standing up straight.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 4:40 PM
Can you sit on a stability ball at work? That alone might be good plus a way to throw in some impromptu crunches.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-10-03 7:21 AM
Also if you have the stability ball you can put it against the wall with your back to it, and squat moving the ball down, then back up. Works, quads, hip flexors, glutes and core.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-10-03 11:51 AM
You can do v-ups in the chair.  Hold onto arm rests, balance on butt towards the front of your chair so your shoulders are angled back to the back of the chair.  Then  bring up legs either bent (beginner), or straight (master of the abs).
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-02 10:17 AM
There have been nights when I've gotten a good night's sleep, but last night wasn't one of them. :meh:  For some unknown reason I woke up about 3:30 and never really went back to sleep. :meh:

It was cooler this morning, but 55 is hardly frosty.  My allergies are acting up, but had a decent run.  I could've used a few more hours of sleep, though.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 1:11 PM
Sorry you had to get up before you were ready. When do you like to get up?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 3:32 PM
Excellent work on the run!
Do Fall allergies make your face hurt? Mine do that and they feel raw. A cold snap makes it worse. :meh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 4:41 PM
I hope u get some sleep tonight.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-02 2:16 PM
hi y'all!  It's been forever so I am cross-posting from the TTC/preggo/PP thread.  Filter out any stuff you find boring haha:

well hello everyone!  I know it's been a long time.  I've been crazed the past two months.  Let's see... first two weeks of August, 2 week road trip just me and P.  8/27 was Ps 1st bday so we had lots of family and craziness.  8/29 - first day (sort of - orientation) of PhD program.  5 days in Chicago over Labor Day weekend for a wedding.  That was fun/insane/exhausting.  Got back latelatelate Labor Day night and then my first day of classes was Wednesday 9/6.  9/14 we moved.  So insane madness for the time between coming back from Chicago and moving.  Still in the midst of unpacking and getting acclimated insanity.  UGH.  Moving is terrible.  I told A we're not moving again until the child(ren) is/are out of college.  UGH.  PhD program is awesome but SO much work.  As I wanted it to be.  it's a whole different ballgame, though, with a toddler in the game.  Speaking of toddling, she really started to walk at about 12.5 months, and is now all over the place.  OMG I have a walker! It's nuts. :cry:  I'm trying to get back into running... ran a lovely 5.5 on Saturday and ran 4 miles on trails this morning.  May do a couple more in the hour when we are waiting for Daddy to get home from work and post-childcare.  Our new house is a 3 min jog from, in my opinion, the best running in my area.  It's so beautiful. 

Moving sucks.  Change sucks.  It's all to the good, but I've been struggling this month (well, September).  Going to the psychiatrist next week to rejig my meds, which I'm hoping will help.  Too much crying/irritability/snappiness/existential despair is not good for anyone!  And I certainly don't want it to affect P.

Other stuff re: P - sleep sucks.  Hahaha.  Oh well.  We do what we can.  I don't have my shit together enough to do anything approaching anything systematic.  Oh well. We're also TTC which is hilarious.  Anyway, HI EVERYONE I'M INSANE :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 3:28 PM
There is no such thing as a sanity card here. :laugh:
Welcome. :grin:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 4:19 PM
Last time we moved I told DH I hoped that it would be possible to get a hearse down the driveway, because the next time I was leaving it would be feet first.

Moving is awful but I'm guessing it is great to be in the new house -- parking? More space?

Yay for Miss Penny Walker!

And you're TTC on top of it all? Wow.

Good to see you!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 4:43 PM
I think getting a good night's sleep and running will help. Maybe you could set some realistic sleep and exercise goals.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-03 7:08 AM
Ha realistic sleep goals :cry: I haven't had a good night's sleep in 13 months!  Oh well, I kinda figure it goes with the territory.  I'll sleep when I'm dead... or when the kids are over 5.  Maybe.  But realistic running goals sound good.  I'd like to aim for 30-45 min 5 times a week, and maybe yoga 2 times a week.
- - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-02 7:56 AM
I ran 5 on Sunday and it didn't suck and it was my cycle first day so overall that was good. It was also 88 degrees at 8am when we started. :roll:
And I held a crow position for 5 seconds before falling on my head.

So it was a winning workout day for me Sunday.

Today is yoga at lunch and then a HIIT/Core class tonight while gavin is at basketball at the Y. It is awesome I can line up his practice and my class at same time!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 8:17 AM
Glad yourrun didn't suck.

Creative scheduling is the only way to go. All the benefits of multitasking without the stress and mistakes.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 1:12 PM
Nice run! Especially if it was 88 degrees at the start.

I admire anyone who can do those positions.

Kudos for matching your class and G's activities. That is an argument for running -- you can run whenever the kid has an activity whereas coordinating the classes and practices requires careful scheduling.
Parent - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-02 1:55 PM
Kudos to just plain dumb luck
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-02 2:17 PM
sounds like some awesome workouts!  I'm seriously impressed with crow pose for 5 seconds.

:hug::hug:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 3:29 PM
+1 for sure.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 9:38 AM
It is getting colder but as far as we're concerned not fast enough!

3.2 this morning. I was woken by the phone buzzing at 1:30 with news of the Las Vegas shootings, horrible. But woke up at the usual time and hauled out. Reasonable run and I found 79 cents, every little bit helps!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-02 2:17 PM
Las Vegas :sad::sad::sad::sad:

good job getting out there after the mid-night wakeup
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-02 3:30 PM
Great work on the 3.2 miler! By the way, 79 cents is a lot!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 4:19 PM
It' s a lot more than I usually find on an early morning run!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-02 4:45 PM
I need to turn off the news notifications off on my phone. They are too much these days.

Glade you made it up for a run.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Frosty Monday dailies