Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / ooh yay I "ran" 50mi racre report
- - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-30 3:34 PM
Yesterday I did my first 50miler here in Damascus VA along the Virginia Creeper Trail. It is a beautiful trail that is 33-34 miles long. The Yeti 100 that is 5yrs old was happening too. This is the first year he offered a 50, we were his beta test with only about 50 runners doing the 50.

I'd been dealing with some ITB pain that went into my outer calf for the past couple of weeks. I thought I had it mostly worked out. Then 2 weeks ago I ran in some road altras (I run in trail altras but saucony triumph for road with a 8mm heel to toe) and a week after that my calves had knots in them (I returned the altras, low drop on road is not for me) and my old post tib injury was hurting into my foot. I was really freaking out now. I rolled, massaged, iced stretched, strengthened as much as I could and just hoped for the best.

So we started 15min after the 100milers at Whitetop station, and I was feeling pretty good. I'd been practicing with a gym boss timer thing since the course is mainly flat with the first 17mi being a slight down. Most everyone I knew was doing some kind of intervals. I had decided on a 4:2 for the first half and then would see from there. Another group of ladies I knew was starting the 50 with 4:1 but I just thought I should run my own thing and stick with it. The first 26-27 was easy, fun and uneventful...I didn't really slow myself down on the 4min run bc I figured the walk did that for me, so I ran as I felt. My foot felt great! My outer calf and ITB band however were aching pretty early on. I popped some advil and waited for it to kick in and I felt like it would ease up more as the day went on.

Got to the first AS at 10.8m in 2hr and 15min. I was thinking that was pretty fast for me with a long day ahead but I felt really good and it was still cool out. Got to Mile 18 AS in 3hr 45min. I knew I was cruising. I spent a little too long at that one 10-15min bc I realized I wasn't drenched from sweat but my bladder was leaking from a hole in it so my entire lower half was getting gradually soaked with half gatorade and water :meh::cry: I finally had service and texted Dh who would be at the next AS. I had duct tape in my bag he was holding so he said he would fix it for me. YAY DUCT TAPE! The next section was the lamest of the course with it starting to warm up and some gravel trail along the road. I kept trying to stick with 4:2 but decided maybe now was time to go to 3:2. I texted Dh that my hip was hurting, so I guess it started bothering me then. THE OPPOSITE hip of the one that had been nagging for the last 3 weeks :roll:

Got to mile 26 in 5hr 30min, so I was still moving really well. First place 50 male was already on his way to the finish and I was halfway done :shocker!::laugh: Dh helped me changed socks, put duct tape on some toes that had started to blister and fix and fill my bladder. During all that my shuffle fell out and was lost forever. :cry: Thankfully my phone still had lots of battery and I had some audio books on there. I spent about 15min there (must get better at this part) and headed out for the 9mi to the turn around. After sitting for a bit there for toe taping I started to stiffen up a lot and it was harder to get moving. I tried to get back into 3:2 for the first few miles of that part but it was now after 1pm and getting warm so I went to a 2:2. Then we got out into the open sun for a while so I just walked, figuring it would help me finish stronger later to not get overheated or dehydrated now. The nice part here was seeing people coming back, both 100mi and 50 and hugging and saying hi to everyone!

Took me 2hr and 15 min to get those 9miles, with finishing 33.5 mi in just under 8hrs. That was a tough section with Dh was there again (surprise!) and I used the bathroom, washed my hands and face (ahhh!) and grabbed some food. I was trying so hard to force myself to eat bc after the 12hrs in July when I fainted, I figured out it was low blood sugar from not eating enough. It is a struggle for me and yet otherwise I LOVE TO FREAKING EAT! I grabbed 2 PBJs and fritos and forced those down and started the 9mi back. Now all stiffened up again and its 3:25pm and about 75 degrees in the sun...and my hip (opposite one still) is really really stiff and hurting. So I try 1:1 just to have a routine to keep moving. Some angel was there handing out ice pops, YES PLEASE. I saw a friend who was running the 100 with a hamstring issue and she looked miserable. Kinda hoping she dropped, not worth a 6mos long hiatus IMO just to say you finished. But thats why i'm not a stellar runner :laugh:

Took me 2hrs and 10min to do the 9miles back so i did better on the way back than out! Now it was cooling off but OH MY HIP! Dh was there again, it was so nice to see him and have someone to help me fill my bottle and make me eat. I got in and out of there faster bc I really just wanted to be done now. I had 7mi to the finish.

Tried to 1:1 it again but I was spent now. My hips both hurt and were so stiff, walking or running didn't matter. The run was a shuffle and while walking hurt, I was moving. I had been listening to The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells (so good) but that stopped downloading so I Listened to Chris Hayes A Colony in a Nation. Interesting enough to keep me distracted.

Now I started getting passed by people more motivated to finish than me :cry: I knew I would finish by the cut off (13hrs) so I allowed myself to just move forward. Ugh, need to work on that mentality too. At one point even my hike/walk was slowing down so i made myself eat some trail mix, that helped A LOT, I'm a dumb! I definitely did not finish this with the same zeal and energy as I did at Merrills Mile in July when I did almost 48miles :blush:

Finished 12:15, but I'm not exactly sure. Trips were there passing time on their devices :roll::laugh: and Dh was just happy I was alive. He is the BEST helper/crew at a race.

If you don't use 2Toms you should, I had zero chafing and my pants and underwears were wet for 9 hours with gatorade and water. :cry: God that was nasty. I didn't end up fainting this time but felt that nausea that preceded it off and on as we got back to the house and I just laid down immediately until it passed, including in the bathroom on the floor. Dh stayed in the bathroom while I showered bc he was worried about me passing out in shower. He made me a grilled cheese and I was asleep by 9pm :blush:

I was thinking this flattish course was why my hips hurt so much and I prefer a more diverse terrain over many hours, but I think I spent the first half running, unknowingly favoring the other ITB so, the hip is really sore today. Meanwhile the foot issue I was really freaked about is completely non existent now. Oh well.

That's it, not too exciting but it's done! Thanks for reading.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-30 3:41 PM
Excellent job. :cool:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:17 AM
Thanks boob :grin::hug:
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-30 3:51 PM
YIPPEE :hug:
:grin::hug:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2017-09-30 4:06 PM
Dang impressive!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:18 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By coleman Date 2017-09-30 4:38 PM
wow...congrats on that adventure, enjoyed the report
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:18 AM
thank you! :happy:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-09-30 7:32 PM
:cool::cool::cool: awesome! I've thought about doing the marathon there a few times, but never made it.  I'm glad you were able to get through and not pass out later!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-01 9:21 AM
It has to be a great marathon course!
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-30 7:51 PM
I need to add that Tom Green, ultra running legend was there and finished what I think is his first 100 after suffering a TBI 2yrs ago. He ran pushing a jogging stroller with lights and a brick on it and was amazing. All my dumb whines about Gatorade soaked pants, tight hips and no music are so stupid. I'm just happy I get to do it.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-10-04 6:54 AM
When I ran Umstead in 2016 I was looking for a place to put my drop bag. It was dark at the start but I saw a tree near the building where everyone was gathering. I walked towards it with my flashlight and then noticed a sign reserving a parking spot for Tom Green. I did not know him but had donated to a go fund me page when he was injured. It was so weird that months later, I came across this sign/him. He ran the 50 miler and I saw him a couple of times out on the course. Such an inspiration.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-05 5:25 AM
Yes! The RD shared the video of him finishing, everyone was sobbing :hug:
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-04 9:58 PM
I must admit that I did not know who he is. A day or two ago I found this article. Now I know. Not sure what TBI is though. I did find this information on Wikipedia:

On April 20 of 2015, Green was trimming a branch from a tree and the branch fell and hit Green in the head 'like a baseball bat' Green was airlifted to a hospital and received multiple skull fractures and some inner ear damage. His carotid artery received some damage. Upon reaching the Shock Treament Center in Baltimore, Maryland, he was put into a medically induced coma for two weeks.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-05 5:25 AM
TBI is traumatic brain injury :sad:
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2017-10-01 5:53 AM
Nice run !  wow - 50 !!!
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-10-01 8:16 AM

>my bladder was leaking from a hole in it 

That's your urethra
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-01 12:16 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-01 12:41 PM
: pbbt:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-02 7:18 AM

I was thinking the same thing until I got to the end of that sentence. :shocker!:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-10-02 8:52 AM
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-10-01 11:37 AM
Awesome lady!! :cool:
:blush::hug:
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-01 12:15 PM
A day in the life of ultra running. Congratulations on your first 50 mile finish!
exactly! :hug:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-10-01 6:08 PM
Congratulations!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:16 AM
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-10-01 11:12 PM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-10-01 11:54 PM
Glad you finished.  Been there.  A couple of things 1) if it's still made, Avon's Silicone Glove is the best anti-chafing cream I ever used.  Lubed the bottoms of my feet with it, ran a marathon where it rained for the first twenty miles, sometimes poured, and not a single blister.
2) I have learned by experience that if you favor one particular body part, you are making another one work overtime, and for me, that never ended well.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-10-02 9:50 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:16 AM
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-10-02 6:36 AM
Terrific!!! So happy for you. :hug::hug:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:16 AM
Thank you so much! Your advice and experiences have continued to help me over the years. :hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-10-04 6:55 AM
I'm really happy for you and it is so much fun following you as you go down this road :happy:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-05 5:28 AM
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-10-02 7:20 AM
I keep thinking you've done this distance before since you've been doing so well lately with your races. It helps to have great crew too. Congrats on your first 50!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:15 AM
Thanks! Yes! I've done 12 or more 50ks and 4 things where I went btw 40 and 48 but this is my first actual 50. :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-10-02 8:53 AM
hooray 50 miler finisher! glad DH was able to fix your leaky bladder. : pbbt:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:14 AM
Yay thanks!
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-10-02 9:28 AM
:hug::hug: your video was awesome!!
:laugh: thanks
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-02 9:41 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like the kind of race I would like. Woo hoo for you!

Laughing about the lower half getting drenched with leaky bladder pack (that is I hope when you say your bladder was leaking you mean your pack and not your internal organ, especially if DH fixed it with duct tape...)
You would love this, its so beautiful! Stupid sticky gross bladder. :cry::hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-10-02 12:51 PM
CONGRATS!!!!  Sorry about this hip, but you powered through like a champ!

When I ran my first/only 50 miler last year, I was concerned about spending too much time at the aid stations. I selected my crew to be the meanest person in the world who was instructed to keep me walking through the AS while forcing me to eat.  My 19 yo daughter relished having a day to scream at me!:laugh:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:13 AM
I bet she loved bossing you around! I need a bossier crew guy, my husband is way too sweet, but this was a learning experience for him as well! Thanks!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-04 9:03 AM
I would think enlisting the trips as crew members who can tell Mom what she needs to do would help.

Having your spouse, especially a non-runner, as your crew guy can be as bad as having your spouse be the one who teaches you to drive. In the interest of marital harmony it may be wise to avoid both situations. The kids can be much bossier.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-05 5:27 AM
My kids are even sweeter! My son wanted to hold my hand every time I walked anywhere for 2 days! My older 2 kids would be good and bossy tho, I need to get them in my crew :laugh: they'd LOVE being bossy to me
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-10-02 3:58 PM
Very nicely done! :cool::grin::hug: And yay for duct tape! Thanks for the great report especially your thoughts, feelings and pains along the way and how you managed them. There is nothing wrong with running "your own thing," and running as you "felt" in any race so long as you're honest with yourself how good or bad things are. And nothing wrong with allowing yourself "to just move forward" although I know what you're saying about the mindset and maybe a better mantra/mindset is "keep moving forward" without the "just." (I've used the "just keep moving" mantra but maybe shouldn't because it allows a crawl...lately I've used the "run forever pace" mantra to keep moving decently even while taking hike breaks. Your body may not have zeal in it but it doesn't need to surrender (and you certainly didn't even as peeps were passing towards the end). So congrats on a wonderful race and thanks for a wonderful report of it! :hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:11 AM
yes, this is very helpful, mentally I allowed myself to "just" and surrender somewhat, I will definitely work on a good mantra for next time. :hug:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-10-03 12:19 PM
CONGRATS!!!! I was very confused about the leaky bladder situation and the fact that your husband just patched it up with duct tape (I thought one needed to see a urologist for stuff like that but you trail runners are just a breed apart and you did mention your DH was really talented at crewing for you.  : pbbt:

Your running achievements are an inspiration :hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:10 AM
Who knew my leaking bladder would be the highlight of this report? :laugh: Thanks :hug:
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-10-03 12:36 PM
I am so happy for you. I know what a giddy feeling it is. :hug:

A leaky bladder or bite valve has caused me plenty of misery. Sticky, then chafey, then the crying, the tantrums, what have you.
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:09 AM
Thanks! I'm not super giddy bc I know I should have finished about 45 minutes sooner but I have to stop with that stuff...:hug::hug:

Dumb leaky bladder :cry:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-04 9:04 AM
And the bladder is something few of us test out before each race. I tend to assume that if it was OK for the last race, it should be OK for this one.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-05 5:28 AM
Exactly! The really annoying thing was it was a replacement for the first leaky bladder :mutmad:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-10-03 12:52 PM
Hey, Jill, you did so great!  I think flatter courses are often harder on the joints and feet, from all the repetitive stress, and you were smart to incorporate walk breaks from the beginning.  You’ve already discovered that when your pace/energy/mood start to bog down, forcing yourself to eat is usually the answer.  Body and mind need that sugar!  But boy do I know how hard it can be to eat in the late stages of an ultra.  (Just wait until you do a 100. . . .)  I’m happy for you and know this is the first of many more 50s to come! :hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:08 AM
Thanks!! Yes, I could have done even better with food and must keep working on that. You've been so supportive and helpful with all your experience, I'm so appreciative!
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-10-05 12:45 PM
Sorry about your damp underwear, though I guess that's par for the course when you're usually in the middle of Cumming.  :grin:  Very impressive and cool otherwise, though! :grin:: pbbt::hug:
- - By mutiger [us] Date 2017-10-03 2:15 PM
why?
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-10-03 2:45 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By mutiger [us] Date 2017-10-03 7:16 PM
it was a sincere question : pbbt:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-10-04 5:06 AM
I have no idea :cry:
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-10-04 1:32 PM
Because we can!
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / ooh yay I "ran" 50mi racre report