Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / My turn Thursday
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-09-28 5:32 AM
Dave has been taking his share of daily-starting.   Thanks Dave.   My turn today.  

Anything new?
How's the weather?
What's the countdown for Rob's race?
Jen - taper time?
Karen - don't be sick.
Everyone else ?????
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-09-28 5:36 AM
I felt really beat up after my run yesterday.   I suppose it is because I took a week off after my 10k.   You wouldn't think that necessary, but with the dang heat and humidity it seemed like a good idea.

Also, I checked my logs and since I started practicing yoga in earnest my runs have gotten slower and slower and slower.   The correlation, I think, is just that I'm running less.   I figure though, whatever I have to do to still be running in my 80's.  And those yoga stretches feel SO GOOD.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-09-28 5:53 AM
New - Tried a new BBQ place real close to home but it was disorganized and the brisket was 40% fat. I may try it again but I doubt Cindy will. We'll be back to our favorite spot next time.
Weather - The hot weather is gone and we'll get a few nice days in the 70s but I made a mistake and looked at the 10-day forecast and next week is back in the mid to upper 80s. :cry:
Rob - The monster mash is 23 days from now.  (I have a training plan for it that I abandoned in favor of a local half which is 38 days from now.)
I'll let Jen and Karen address their areas.

I'm back in the office today. Came in early to avoid the rush hour traffic. Hope to leave early and hit the gym on the way home.

I feel like I really need a mental break from this place, but Brooke (daughter in Illinois) is visiting the week of October 9th, so I am going to gut it out until then and take a couple days off that week.  I burned up so much vacation this year driving around with the kid that I am running out of days.  (3 trips to Tallahassee, 1 to Atlanta, 2 to Michigan.)
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-09-28 6:46 AM
You wouldn't know I was in taper given I have a 2 hour ride and 45 minute run, but yes I am in taper. Race is 8 days.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-09-28 8:01 AM
New -- I'm back on the forum and "running" again. 35 min of neighborhood.   I was really wobbly on my feet for the past week and did not run and barely walked for a few days.  At the chiro yesterday he "jack hammered" my feet.  He uses this jack hammer thing on my spine and neck when I don't adjust well.  He tried it on my feet yesterday.  It seemed to go better this morning.  Interesting correlation...in the times that my feet and legs are bad I don't adjust easily.  Which makes sense as the seizures stiffen muscles badly. 

Weather is changing as I type.  Got up and it was still a tad muggy.  But the winds of change are among us and it is a strong breeze feeling good.  3 months from now that same breeze is called wind chill. 

Also new...going to pick up a newer car.  2010 Ford Flex.  I didn't even know what a Flex was until I saw this one.  We set out to buy a mini van, something we could use to haul some stuff back and forth to NC.   But this was next to it.  Not sure if this is a good idea.  It's a "junk yard special" wreck rebuild.  I've had good luck over the years buying cars like this.  Found it on Craigs List.

Tom in DE
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-09-28 8:33 AM
neighbors have a Flex.  It is definitely the family truckster.  They have 4 girls they haul everywhere.  And they have driven it to California and back every summer for 5 years.  Based on their experience it will serve you well.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-09-28 8:18 AM
Runner's World is pulling the plug on their Forums today:shocker!:
I don't spend much time there, but do browse the Boston Forum sometimes.
Speaking off Boston. High cut off time announced for the race. Need to have beaten your BQ time by 3:23 to get into next springs race.

Doing a Dawn 10k Nooner today.

Weather is great here.

A few more hard weeks of training and then Taper time. Hanson plan is basically a 10 day taper.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-09-28 9:20 AM
Good morning

Just finished my upper body and cardio videos. 

New -- nothing
Weather -- it is great.  More rain overnight almost an inch and it is in the forecast through Friday morning. 
Countdown -- going well as far as I can tell.
Taper time -- also going well.
Karen -- where is our friend?
Everyone else?  Deb?  Ron -- did he survive Irma?  Mark H?

I need to answer one more question for tonight's class.

My younger brother is very involved in the Kolbe Prison Ministry.  Here is an article  http://www.satodayscatholic.org/artists-paints-visual-affirmations-of-faith-inside-prison/  He is the one in the middle in the print shirt.  The inmate gave the painting to him and that is why he was asked to present it to the Archbishop.  I give many thanks to those like my brother that minister in the prisons.

Have a good Thursday!
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-09-28 11:53 AM
Cool article on your Bro. And since I have a son named Kolbe, i was even more interested :wink:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-09-28 2:28 PM
I just recently heard of the sacrifice that St. Kolbe Maxmillian made -- no wonder he is a Saint!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / My turn Thursday