Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Pet owner question
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-09-27 1:27 PM Edited 2017-09-27 1:31 PM
One of our cats was having some issues so I took her to the vet. Now I am supposed to give her 2 types of medicine every day. Giving medicine to a cat is about the most futile thing ever attempted but I'll be a good person and do it.  (At least try as best I can.)

But here is my question. The cat also has some bad teeth and this can lead to bacteria that can effect the heart so they want me to schedule dental work.  This will cost $400-800 and if there is one thing that I hate doing is spending that much money on an animal. There are too many people that could use that kind of money and it makes it painful to spend it on a 10 year old cat.  But I don't want to make the cat suffer unnecessary pain.  So I am stuck.  Has anyone had a pet with dental problems and found a way to treat them for a reasonable cost?

Web searches seem to verify that this cost is reasonable and I'll do it I guess. I won't like it, but I'll do it.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-09-27 2:00 PM
I can't help you.  But I know you will make the best decision for you and the cat.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-09-27 2:28 PM
We had to do it because Squirtle's teeth were so bad and causing pain. That's the thing you have to keep in mind. Bad teeth will/can cause pain for the cat (not just issues with the heart). I'm sure with the age of your cat the vet will be much more careful since age is a factor in surgeries. I would do it. I'd suggest seeing a vet school (probably not one close to you) or even call the local shelter and ask if they have low cost vet care.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-09-27 3:42 PM
my brother forked over the $$ for his cat's teeth.   I don't think I would.  I'm not sure I'd even do it for the dog.

Jen has the best idea though - check your local humane society.  The place I work has low cost vet care 2 days a week.  25% of the going rate at the vet.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-09-28 8:12 AM
I'll be getting the dental work done. I can't just let the cat suffer. Euthanizing her seems extreme at this point. Only options are doing the needed work or finding someone who wants a 10 year old cat and is willing to get the procedure done. She's on antibiotics for 10 days for some other issue and then I'll schedule it and fix her up.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Pet owner question