Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Loveable Characters TuesDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-26 9:26 AM
Tell us about a loveable, fictional character you were fond of or was dear to you as a child or even as an adult. Why did you like them?  Regular stuff and blather.

Bonus:  What date is acceptable to put up Halloween decorations?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-26 9:44 AM
When I was very little, I loved ALL THINGS Raggedy Ann and dragged my Raggedy Ann with me everywhere until maybe first grade. (This is documented in photos which I find amusing.)  From my pre-teen years to basically now, I am endeared to Lucy Ricardo.....great wife, mother, friend and always wanted to be her own woman. She has always made me laugh hysterically. She is currently staring at me from the coffee mug I have had on my desk for over 20 years.

45 minutes of pool running this morning.  My calf is feeling less crappy today and is less swollen.  I probably should have worn a calf panty on the plane on Sunday, but forgot.  Fruit & yogurt for breakfast.

Blather: I am hungry and forgot to bring my bag of fruit I meant to snack on today.  :sad:

Bonus:  Since blazergirl's birthday is a few days before Halloween, I used to decorate like crazy for it, but never until October 1st.  While I still have tons of decorations, they are in the attic and I tend to be too lazy to go dig around for them.  I MAY get motivated and do it this weekend. Or, I may just throw a pumpkin or two on the porch and call it a day.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 12:05 PM
I'm concerned that your calf is swollen. Are you going to see a doctor?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-26 12:37 PM
I think my wife through out my ghost lights that I hang out on trick or treat night. I may be decorate less this year.

Take care of your calf!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-26 1:59 PM
raggedy anne! :hug: but honestly i am not sure i know where that character comes from. i know i had a doll when i was a young kid.

sorry about your calf.  :sad: swollen doesn't sound good at all.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-26 7:06 PM
Ice that calf! Are you taking anti-inflammatories? Big doses of advil helped me a lot when I had a calf blow up at Steamtown, years ago.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-26 11:14 AM
I think we can all learn a thing or two from Bugs Bunny. He stays calm even when someone is trying to kill him, outsmarts his adversary, plays pranks on him, is funny as hell, and eats a healthy diet (lots of carrots) and gets plenty of exercise. Occasionally he gets lost in New Mexico:wink:.

6 miles this morning, including 4 x 400 on the track. I didn't even bother timing myself as I had intended on being a "track tourist" and just watching my friends do a track workout while I jogged. Somehow I got talked into a few 400s, but I didn't push super-hard.

Bonus: October 1
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-26 7:08 PM
Bugs Bunny!:hug:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-26 11:31 AM
Uh-oh!  multiple Tuesday dailies!  I'm gonna post replies to both : pbbt:

Superman!  'cause he had super powers!    Superhero pickings were slimmer when I was a kid!

I went to the gym this morning & did core & shoulder exercises & then swam 1600 meters.

The public HS in the town next to me (Haddonfield), just over 2 miles away, has always had outstanding XC & track teams.  Their boys XC team has a record of 199 consecutive "dual meet" victories (dual meets excludes "invitational" and championship meets with dozens of other schools competing but there are rarely one-on-one HS XC meets in our area anymore so there are typically 3, 4, 5 etc. schools competing and sometimes multiple conferences represented so not all the teams running are competing against all of the others).  Anyway, they go for #200 this afternoon and the course is in a park about a 5 minute drive away so perhaps I'll go watch.  There is a parochial HS in North Jersey (Christian Brothers Academy or just "CBA") that is more of an XC power and their streak was at 343 at the beginning of this season, which is a national record...they haven't lost since 1974 :shocker!:  

Bonus:  I also think not until Oct. 1.  I was a major contributor to putting up Halloween decorations in our cycling room at the gym in the past 2 or 3 years.  Given my upcoming surgery, I won't be there from a week & a half before Halloween and more than two weeks after.  I'm not inclined to go thru the effort of decorating it this year   :meh:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 12:02 PM
I am drawing a blank but I will pick Yoda since I have a Yoda statue on my desk at work. He is wise and embodies all that is good in the universe. He also gave the best bit of advice: "Do or do not. There is no try."

Run: Workout fail this morning. I had 8x 2:00 intervals @7:42 on my schedule, so I headed towards the town pool (manmade lake that has been drained until next summer) that has a 1/3 mile paved path around it. It's about a mile away so that works perfectly as my warmup. Once there, I started running my first 2 minute interval, and when I got to the far side of the pool, I saw a fox running ahead of me. I stopped and looked at the fox, who stopped and looked back at me. He didn’t retreat, but he wasn’t advancing, so I turned around and ran the other way on the path, hoping the fox would be gone by the time I got around that end of the path again. I looked at my watch, expecting to be in my rest interval by now, but it said I had 1:30 to go in my interval, which was odd considering it felt like I had been running for almost 2 minutes, but I kept running because I am a slave to my Garmin. :roll::laugh: I got back around the path, and the fox was still there, staring silently at me. I turned around again to go the way I was originally going, all the while keeping an eye on the fox. My watch beeped and I started my rest interval, but it told me I was supposed to be running fast again. :wtf: I eyed the fox, who wasn’t giving up any ground, looked at my Garmin which was having some sort of malfunction, and felt my tired legs, and said screw the workout and just ran around the neighborhood for another 30 minutes. As I was running away from the pool, the fox was still pacing back and forth looking at me. Once I got home and looked at my workout data, I confirmed that my workout didn’t have rest intervals in it and that I had indeed run two intervals back-to-back. :wtf::roll: I guess I programmed it incorrectly. Anyhow, ~4.4 miles on the day.

Blather: How is it the last week of September already? :wtf:

Bonus: Oct. 1
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-26 12:35 PM
Wonder what was up with the fox? Hopefully not rabid. Wise of you to steer clear of him.

You know, they have this watches wear you hit start, and can run fast for 2:00, hit split, rest and repeat. I am so old school.
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-26 1:11 PM Edited 2017-09-26 1:16 PM
Timex Ironman with 100 lap memory, can't beat it. I am old school too, no music, no gadgets, just go out and run.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 3:16 PM
I do have that kind of watch too! I just can't pace myself, hence the fancy watch.
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-26 1:19 PM
I see fox here in Mahwah all the time and usually they run away. They seem more scared of me when running in their direction. Give the workout another try tomorrow.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 3:16 PM
Will definitely try the workout again tomorrow!
Parent - - By godogo [us] Date 2017-09-26 2:04 PM
Are you sure it was a fox?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 3:15 PM
It wasn't a cardboard cutout, that I know! : pbbt:

It was definitely a fox.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-26 4:22 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-26 12:33 PM
Put me on the Bugs Bunny train. Loved that show as a kid. So much hijinx.

Non-workout: Dog walk, planet of fitness at lunch. I am pondering a trail walk with the Lady tonight in the woods so she can stretch her legs.

Bonus: Halloween Night.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-26 12:47 PM
Most of the characters I liked were from books. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were big, and I spent a lot of time with Encyclopedia Brown. When it came to action figures I was a huge GI Joe fan and had a ton of that stuff.

Since I really didn't run that hard in Omaha I decided to give it a go today and had 5 pretty decent miles. My feet are still the worst so I made sure to pick some soft shoes for the run. I will probably hop back onto the regular schedule as this is a lower week for us.

Blather: The landscape guys started work on the last part of the backyard which will be an area just above the pond out back. They are doing a retaining wall and then we will do a fire pit and whatever surface my wife decides to use for the decking. We're hosting a party for our son and DIL on Saturday and it won't be quite 100%, but I think that people will be able to go down there and sit by the pond.

Bonus: Oct 1. I used to do it up big when the kids were younger but we don't get very many trick or treaters so haven't done much the last few years. I don't even think that we bought a pumpkin last year.
Parent - - By godogo [us] Date 2017-09-26 1:35 PM
Calvin and Hobbes.  I wish he'd come out of retirement. :sad:

We had a team meeting at work today where my boss(major reason for leaving) announced that I was leaving.  She then tried to thro me under a bus by not getting a letter out on time.  It did go out on time, she didn't realize that she had miscounted the lead time needed on the letter. :roll:  God that felt great! :grin:

Ran 3 miles early with my wife this morning.  She's trying to get back into running.  It's now dark at 6:00 AM. :mutmad:

Bonus: October 30th.  At night.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-26 1:56 PM
:grin: congrats on the new job and getting away from boss! :grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 3:18 PM
Your boss :roll::roll::evil:
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-26 4:25 PM
Calvin and Hobbes.

This is why we get along!:happy::cool: Absolutely loved everything Calvin and Hobbes!

I love that your boss made herself out to be an ass!:laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-26 1:55 PM
raggedy anne as a very young kid. pooh and eyeore too. bugs bunny was a favorite as a kid. muppets and yoda.

just getting back today to forum. it's my day off from work. about to go work in the yard a bit as it's so nice outside - 65 and sunny fall weather. I also have a window where the paint trim has weathered off so need to scrape and figure out what is going on with that. It was a run day off but i was at the pool with mom for the deep water exercise class.

Chiro appointment this morning and back stuff is going well. I ran 17 saturday and expected back to be very stiff the next day and it was not. Yesterday i did a short track workout (just 4 quarters) and again back was fine. So yay! the chiro worked on it quite a lot so i can feel it a bit now and has me do some ab/breathing exercises which are interesting.

bonus: 10/15
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 3:18 PM
Yay for your back! :grin:
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-26 4:37 PM
i liked a number of fictional characters growing up...Flintstones, Peanuts and of course, The Grinch.

Pleased with this mornings track workout as it indicates a significant jump in fitness. It was already warm and sticky at 6:45.

5 X 1600 with 1:00 rest in 6:08 6:08 6:11 6:14 6:09. I must have lost my focus on number 4, probably because it was starting to hurt. 8.5 miles including warm up and cool down. This was a drop of 10 seconds per mile from when I did this workout last about 5 weeks ago.

Planning on an easy 5.5 mile recovery run later this evening. Going to try and run the table for the next 6 weeks and run 70 miles per week and then a 2 week taper. Will see how it goes.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-27 7:37 AM
Nice workout :cool: Did you do it on a track or on the roads?
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-27 4:40 PM
Ramapo College track.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-26 5:56 PM
When I was in first or second grade, I loved the main character in The Little Witch, a children's book about a nice child witch who lived with an ugly mean old witch, who made her do mean things. The child witch thought the ugly old witch was her mother, but- SPOILER ALERT!- at the end discovers that the old witch kidnapped her as a baby and cast an evil spell on her real mother, and the little witch breaks the evil spell and her mother gets her back and all is good with the world. I took that book out of the Clarence, NY, town library every week for almost two years when I was a kid.:laugh: A favorite character as an adult is Morgaine, the heroine of The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. The book is an amazing adaptation of the King Arthur story, told from the perspective of the women in the story- Arthur's mother and aunt, then sister Morgaine. It's a tad too long, but still a great book with amazing characters.

A short 3 mile run with a dog this morning, loosened up my legs from yesterday's harder workout, followed by lots of dog walking and juggling of contractors and other house stuff. I had chicken congee for dinner, very delicious considering it is so easy and simple to make. It always amazes me how many people one cup of rice can feed!:shocker!: Blather: Too tired to blather.:sad:

Bonus: Usually I stick to October 1, but this year we had our oil tank removed on September 7. It left a giant grave-shaped patch of dirt in our front yard near the sidewalk, so we stuck a fake Halloween tombstone at the head of it just for laughs. The kids who walk to and from the elementary school next door have been loving it.:laugh: I just added a pair of skeleton hands, but I'll wait until October to add some other bones. Fake bones, just to clarify.:roll:: pbbt:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Loveable Characters TuesDaily