Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Moody Monday daily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-25 7:10 AM
What is your mood like this Monday? What is your mood in general? Do you often have mood swings?

Since we didn't have a weekend daily, tell us about your weekend adventures and misadventures, plus today's run/workout, food/drink, and blather.

Bonus: What is your favorite Moody Blues song?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-25 7:28 AM
I am in a great mood today! :grin: Mostly because I looked at my work schedule and decided to work from home because I didn't have many meetings on my calendar. I have a project that I need some uninterrupted time to work on, so being able to stay home and focus on it is exactly what I needed.  I am a shiny happy person in general, but there are those people that make me change out of that mood pretty quickly. : pbbt: That said, I don't typically have mood swings unless my blood sugar is dropping and I get hangry or a migraine is coming on.

Weekend adventures and misadventures: I had 16 on the schedule for Saturday morning, but I just wasn't feeling it. I was dehydrated and underfueled, so I just ran 6. Fiancee was racing a half marathon on Sunday, so I decided to jump into that and tag on an extra 3 miles to make my 16 for the day. I did the extra mileage before the race because it was super hot :cry: and then just followed my workout plan during the race. The workout was 2 easy, 4 MP, 2 tempo, repeat. I did have some trouble slowing back down to recovery pace because it meant that all of the people I had passed were passing me back, but I tried to focus on the fact that this was just a training run for me and not a race. It was harder than I expected! I had never run this race before, and it was a hilly course, but nothing too extreme and I really liked it. I would like to go back next year and actually race it. Now it's taper time! NRR adventures included home improvement projects and pee wee football games.

Food/drink: Leftovers for lunch. I'm making my menu for the week and I'm bored with all of my current recipes. :roll:
Blather: I am digging the Indian summer! I guess if I was trying to race yesterday I wouldn't have been as happy about it, but I am enjoying it while it lasts.

Bonus: Your Wildest Dreams
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2017-09-25 9:18 AM
Our Indian summer ends tonight but that's okay we have not had any fall weather yet. High temp today 90 high temp tomorrow 67.

Sorry I haven't been on the forum much; what race is coming up?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:46 AM
Chicago Marathon Oct. 8 :cool:
Parent - By godogo [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:37 AM
Nice job on the final long training run!!!!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:54 AM
Today's the last really warm day.  Fall temps by Friday!!  I thought a prerequisite for Indian Summer was that it had to occur after a frost?

What half marathon?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 10:45 AM
The word "hangry" always make me smile.:happy:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-25 11:46 AM
Woohoo taper time!! I am excited for you and your upcoming marathon.  :cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 7:01 PM
I love having that last LR finished.  One more to go for me :roll:

I'm terrible about holding back during a race.  Actually, I don't think I ever have been able to if I was wearing a race bib.  I just can't help it.  Good for you.  That's a nice finish to your training cycle.  Bring on Chicago!!
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-25 8:07 AM
I'm a positive person in general and usually in a good mood without major mood swings. With that said, I'm getting a little concerned that the past few weeks I feel like I'm a bit depressed. Barely getting in any time with gf due to her crazy schedule (should get better in a few months)...dealing with thorny teen issues (older daughter just kind of hates me right now; son I've had to crack the whip on lately; at least no issues with younger daughter at the moment), not coaching any teams this season and I miss it. This all will change soon and I keep reminding myself of that but I've hit a few lonely/frustrated/bored spots lately.

Weekend: Went to a wedding on Saturday - my late wife's cousin. Fun. 10 miles Sat morning.

Workout: 6.5 miles this morning.

Bonus: Once Upon a Time is the only Moody Blues title that comes to mind.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2017-09-25 9:25 AM
Hang in there.  Life's like a hilly race; those uphills really suck but flying downhill is the ultimate!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 10:48 AM
No coaching after committing SO MUCH TIME to it has got to be weird for you this fall.  You deserve that lack of dealing-with-insane-parents!
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-25 12:57 PM
It's definitely a bit of a shock. I'm enjoying the flexible schedule, but I miss the kids (well, most of them). And none of my kids are even playing a sport this season so I can't even enjoy watching them play. Older daughter sings in an elite chorus and is, in a defiant teenager way, completely hostile to any form of exercise. Son didn't make the high school soccer team. Younger daughter is only doing Irish dance (and not also cross-country) due to risk of an overuse injury. This will all change in November - for the younger 2 kids anyway. Basketball starts for both and I'm coaching my daughter's team (2 practices + 1 game per week). And the boy is playing futsal too (games only). And then come Spring there will be more soccer (town league with me coaching) for the boy and girl is planning to run track.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 3:20 PM
Our first No Sport Season was last fall......the first season since the fall of 2000.  It was sad.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 7:09 PM
Glad the wedding was fun. 

thorny teen issues :cry: just ugh!   "a bit depressed"  is completely understandable.

6.5 miles -- nice!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-25 8:15 AM
Meh Monday for me, perhaps a bit of a pissy mood. Generally I am pretty even keel though and not subject to mood swings except on rare occasions.

I think I am done running for awhile. Not sure how long. I just don't seem to be moving away from my aches and pains post surgery. Last Friday I had an attack of sciatica or pinched nerve in my lower leg below the knee running down to my foot and could barely walk. It didn't last long thankfully but I felt like a cripple while it happened. No idea what set it off other either. Oh well. I scheduled a visit to the chiro and he's been applying some modalities (laser) to the tissues around my knee plus some k-taping. I guess I will see how it goes. I feel so broken right now. Thus the meh/pissy mood.

I was on call this weekend so no exciting activities. We did make it down to NJ for a family thing, but that was about it other than normal chores like lawn mowing and completing operation clean screen and windows.

Bonus. I listened to "This is the Moody Blues" a lot when I was a kid as my dad had the album. Legend of a Mind, Tuesday Afternoon, so many good songs.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2017-09-25 9:26 AM
Maybe you were too aggressive with your workouts post-surgery?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-25 11:45 AM
Workouts... haha...
I haven't heard that one before. :roll: :laugh:
Barely jogs at best the few times I've tried. :sad:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 10:49 AM
I think I am done running for a while as well.  Misery loves company?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-25 11:45 AM
Sorry... I feel you pain. :meh::sad:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 7:27 PM
I feel completely lost if I have to go more than a day or two without running.   Add to that the exhaustion of dealing with pain, and it is suck city.    Hope some down time will start paying off for you soon.  How many weeks are you post-surgery?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-26 7:24 AM
I am approaching 7 weeks post-op. I recall from previous issue that about 6 weeks I was getting back to normal, 4-5 days running, but alas I am older and more fragile I suppose.

It's not good for me not to run as I have been pretty much a daily runner for years and years. I know I know... patience patience... but I get tired of hearing people say I tried too much too soon. Oh well. Whine over.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-26 7:30 AM
No, I hear you.  I don't know what I'll do when the time comes that I'm no longer able to run.  I don't really enjoy walking or swimming or cycling.  I'll guess I'll adapt as needed, but I promise, there'll be plenty of whining when that happens.
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-09-26 8:23 AM
Life does go on :meh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-26 8:29 AM
True.  And it's important to have enjoyed the gift while it was there.  My apologies if I was insensitive.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-26 9:12 AM
Life with the "regular 4 miles" is still a life well lived!
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2017-09-25 9:02 AM Edited 2017-09-25 9:13 AM
Today I still have the post-marathon happy! :happy:  I am upbeat most of the time.  If I get down it doesn't last very long.

Ran a marathon in Omaha yesterday with Nooner, Doughboy and Blazer.  It is so fun spending a weekend with like-minded knuckleheads. :hug: It has been so long since I wrote a race report so I may write one unless I get slammed with work stuff this week.

Ran 3 miles this morning with Bogey.  We went nice and slow with many stops for him to smell stuff; perfect for a day after recovery run.  I won't run again until Thurs or Fri.

Bonus: I love the Moody Blues.  Thanks for posting that video, it's been decades since I last saw it. LOL.  Justin Hayward has outstanding hair.  My fave is probably Question. The link is for an old-school video; check out font that gives the song title. LOL.  Whenever I hear Nights in White Satin, I am reminded of a ski trip back in the 1990s.  I was with 18 friends and we rented a house.  We went out and to a bar (Bo Diddley performed with several of my friends joining him on stage at one point...), we consumed mass quantities and closed the place down.  The next morning I woke up early and saw it had snowed about 8 inches overnight.  Nobody else was getting up so I went skiing by myself.  The conditions were fantastic and I played Nights in White Satin on my Sony Walkman over and over while I skied.  It was an awesome day. :happy:
Parent - By godogo [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:36 AM
Nice job on the race!  Sounds like it was hot as blazes out there.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:46 AM
Nice job yesterday Rob! :cool::cool:
Congrats on the race & age group win!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 10:50 AM
Who are you calling a knuckle-head????:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 7:30 PM
Congrats on the well-executed race :cool: and thank you for checking in again!!
Very cool memory to associate with the Moody Blues!
Parent - - By godogo [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:35 AM
Mood is good for Monday.  I was offered a new job on Friday, closer to home and for a company I really like.  so I gave notice to my current job that has been less than spectacular lately.  The new job commute makes me drive by our favorite running spot (Lake Waramaug) and I hope to get in runs after work there. :grin:

Last week was super busy with work and my daughter's games so I didn't run at all last week until Saturday.  Why is it so freaking hot now!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry:  Five miles on Saturday that was fine but sweaty.  One loop of the Lake with JohnH (7.65 miles) coming back from injury.  it was slow and hot.  So sick of the humidity.  October can't come fast enough.

Also had a firewood delivery this weekend so Saturday and Sunday were spent stacking wood in the heat.  I did a little at a time so my back would survive.  It seems to be holing up.

Bonus Favorite Moody Blues song = a short one. :laugh:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:49 AM
Congrats on the new job!!! :grin::grin: No more giant Excel spreadsheet then? :wtf:
Parent - By godogo [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:57 AM
The giant Excel spreadsheet still exists...but not for me! :grin:
Congratulations on the new job!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 10:50 AM
Congrats on the new job!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 7:31 PM
Great news about the new job !! :cool:

Your bonus:  :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-25 9:52 AM Edited 2017-09-25 9:55 AM
I'm pretty upbeat most of the time.  I was subject to more mood swings prior to ~6-1/2 years ago...did I ever tell y'all that I retired just over 6-1/2 years ago?  :wink:

I took an "SDO weekend".  My back was bothering me much of last week and I was concerned it didn't seem to be improving.  I even skipped cutting the grass :shocker!:  While not perfect, it seems to have improved a lot by this morning!

Today's workout was teaching cycling class & the usual exercises afterwards. 

Salmon for dinner tonight. 

If I had jumped on the first available date they offered, I could have been in surgery today :roll:

Several local tri folks (besides Terry) I know did IMCHOO (Ironman Chattanooga) yesterday...they all completed it!  Others did an 80-160 mile benefit ride for MS Sat or both Sat & Sun (1-way or round-trip).

Bonus:  I like Knights In White Satin & while I haven't been able to make that work to use in cycling class, I have used; Gypsy, Question, I'm Just A Singer and The Story In Your Eyes in class.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 10:52 AM
Fewer mood swings is definitely another thing for me to look forward to when I get to retire!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 6:57 PM
Retirement definitely improves the ol' mood swings.  I've been retired for four MONTHS, and I haven't missed work at all. 

Glad your back is better.  Keep skipping that yard work :mischief:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 11:10 AM
At work, I am dealing with the fact a big deal I have been working on since July, is in the process of blowing up. Running-wise, I am dealing with the fact I was DNF in Omaha yesterday and my left calf is swollen and in pain, so my current mood is very :meh::meh::meh::meh:.  I can't get all pissy yet as this afternoon, blazerman has his third interview for a gig, so I still need to be the positive, the-world-is-all-rainbows-and-unicorns member of the family to keep his spirits up.  In reality, the fact I need to be peppy and focused on him is beneficial, as that optimism bleeds over into my bullshit and I am less cranky.  Overall, I am cynical and snarky, but at this point in my life, I generally feel happy.

I had a great time with Chris, Rob and Rick this weekend in Omaha.  That said, I should not have even attempted to run and am paying for it dearly.  I couldn't run a step today unless it was to save a child from impending death.  I could not even run if it meant a free cupcake. :shocker!: I plan on taking two weeks off before even attempting a run so that means I am back to pool running for hours on end.:roll:  I will probably write a short RR. Or maybe not.

Strawberries and Greek yogurt for breakfast.  About to consume riced cauliflower and mixed with other veggies for lunch.

Bonus: I have none.  I don't dislike them, but I also do not like them.
Parent - By godogo [us] Date 2017-09-25 11:29 AM
Sorry to hear the race result.  From what I had heard it was pretty nasty out....unless you're Rob. :roll:

Best of luck to Blazerman!!!  Hopefully the third interview is more of a negotiation.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-25 11:56 AM
Sorry about the injury. :sad:

How far did you get in your race?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-25 12:27 PM
I ran about 7.25 which was about a half mile or so past the turn for half marathon.  I knew I didn't have 19 more miles in me so I ripped off my chip, gave it to a volunteer and ran back to half course.  I was only able to run barely a mile more, so I power walked it in as I suspected I was messed up.  I was correct.  The last couple of miles were really painful.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-25 1:36 PM
:sad: Sorry to hear the calf injury is that bad. Swollen and in pain sounds really not good. :sad::sad:
Good luck to blazerman! :hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 6:50 PM
The deal :mutmad: the DNF :mutmad: I could not even run if it meant a free cupcake:shocker!::meh: pool running :cry:   Fingers are crossed for Blazerman's interview and for some relief for that poor calf.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-25 12:45 PM
I'm suffering from post-race blues today. Not so much from the race itself, but it was a good weekend that went by much too quickly and it would have been great to have had some more time with the running folks and my daughter.

Hot weather in Omaha put the damper on my race. Even with starting out nice and slow, the sun and heat in the open areas beat me down. I accomplished what I needed, I checked off the state and got in a decent long run for the Kiawah Island marathon in December.

No workout today. I don't feel terribly bad, but my feet are sore from the hot pavement.

Bonus: Nights in White Satin
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 6:37 PM
I have never gotten used to saying goodbye to my kids.  It always makes me blue.  Post-race fatigue doesn't help that any at all either, but congrats on getting through a tough race.
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-25 6:17 PM
After about a year and a half of one bad thing after another happening to my wife and I, I'm generally in a much better mood these days as things have definitely gotten much better. I'm running again injury free and starting to show signs of the runner I once was. My weekly and monthly mileage isn't what it should be if I'm serious about Philly, but I will see what the next 5 weeks brings before pulling the trigger and entering the race. I suspect I would be better suited for the half but well see.

Saturday I was pressed for time but wanted to run something fast so I went to the track and ran a mile all out for time.

Splits:

400   82
800   2:45...83
1200 4:10...85
Mile   5:29...79

A nice improvement but damn it hurt like hell. It's a good thing there wasn't a priest in the bleachers or I may have asked for last rights

Sunday I was at Saddle River Park late morning where temps got to 92 but got in 15 miles at 7:40 pace. I was good for 10 but the wheels were starting to come off over the final 5.

Just an easy few miles on the treadmill tonight before a track workout tomorrow morning.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 6:36 PM
It's a good thing there wasn't a priest in the bleachers or I may have asked for last rights definitely a sign of a hard-core workout.  Congrats on living through it and good luck with the upcoming race.
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-26 1:23 PM
Living through it is definetly the key to further gains in fitness.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-26 7:27 AM
Nice mile time!
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-26 1:20 PM
Not bad for an older guy.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 7:40 AM
:shocker!: Nice workout! :cool:
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-09-26 1:22 PM
Thanks. Was the half you jumped into Sunday in Franklin Lakes? I hear that one is pretty hilly. Good for a workout.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-26 3:14 PM
Franklin Lakes, yes! It was hilly, but apparently it was hillier 2 years ago but they took the major hills out.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-25 6:26 PM
My mood right now is pretty optimistic.  The in-laws' house is set to close this Friday.  Then will come the throw-down of dividing up the proceeds, but then, one way or another, it will be done.  Each part of it gets us one step closer to resolution. 

Running is pretty good.  I mean, conditions have still been just hideous, but the miles are done.  Saturday was my 2nd 20-miler.  It was 87 degrees by the time I finished.  I spent the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday recovering from that : pbbt: I was worthless.  Today was a simple 10 miles, no speed work, just sustained running.  Well, it was a sustained effort with the exception of a bio-break at a construction site in the 'hood just after my 7th mile.  So here's a new addition to the "what did you find when you were running" saga.  When I grabbed the roll of tp, something fell to the floor of the porto. :wtf: It was a chubby little roach, and not the kind you call Terminix about :roll:
I wrapped it up and brought it home to DH.  He left almost immediately to go to the driving range :laugh::laugh:

I do have mood swings.  I wish I didn't, but they are there and very annoying, even to me.  Usually I just warn people close to me that I'm in a funk, and then I try to see what's the underlying issue.  Often it's fatigue or too much caffeine.

I was never a Moody Blues fan.  Whenever I heard "Nights in White Satin," I have always pictured knights in white satin, sort of like a drag show :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-26 7:27 AM
Ugh... smelly portos with big bugs. :blech:

Ha, I hear you on the knights in white satin song. Sort of monty-python-esque!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-26 7:31 AM Edited 2017-09-26 7:34 AM
Perhaps I was a bit too nuanced about the said roach :mischief:  I suspect there was a very disappointed construction worker yesterday.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-26 11:09 AM
:laugh:  I understood it wasn't a bug!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-26 9:22 AM
Your experience is actually why I prefer the woods to a porto-john.

Good luck dividing the proceeds.:roll:  When we go to that point, two of us were certainly entitled to more than the others due to "loans" from our parents to other siblings.  But, the two of us (who were the trustees) decided to split it evenly among the five kids.  Even that resulted in chaos among the ranks :roll:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Moody Monday daily