Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Fry-day daily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-22 9:23 AM
What is your favorite fried food? What is the strangest fried food you have ever eaten?

Run/workout
Food/drink
Blather
Weekend plans

Bonus: What is your favorite french fry topping?
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-22 9:47 AM
Favorite: Fried chicken
Strangest: Fried sparrows (actually my brother, not me). But really, what is all that different about sparrows vs. chickens? We seem to arbitrarily decide which foods are "normal" and which are strange.

Workout: 3 easy miles this morning

Weekend:
Staying up tonight to make sure kiddos are home by curfew:mutmad:.
Run tomorrow morning
Wedding tomorrow - my late wife's cousin. GF was invited but not coming - kind of a bummer, but she's in an emotionally fragile place right now and not ready to meet my late wife's extended family. Plus my older daughter would likely refuse to acknowledge her existence and that would have made for a very tense 75-minute car ride filled with icy silence. So it's just me + kids going.

Bonus: Ketchup
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:19 PM
Where did your brother get sparrows to eat?
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:43 PM
Thailand. His wife's family is from there.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:37 PM
If they created a situation that you need to stay awake until their curfew, that perhaps their actions should result in an earlier curfew? That is the sort of crap I would do to make their life miserable.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:47 PM
I know you take pride in being a "Mean Mom". This is one spot where I'm not as mean as you:wink:. And I mean that as a compliment.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 1:01 PM
I just get meaner when I am tired.  You will get through it.:hug:
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-22 12:43 PM
Have fun at the wedding.:happy:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-22 11:21 AM
Another vote for chicken.  I'm not sure I've ever had anything fired that was really strange.

Workout was swimming 1600 meters.

Chicken (not fried) sandwich & lemonade.

?

Bonus:  ketchup
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:38 PM
Nice swim!
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-22 12:44 PM
That's a looooong swim!:cool:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:07 PM
I'm going to keep the fried chicken string going. I had a fried Oreo or Snickers bar at our state fair a few years ago but nothing really odd.

Run was a very easy 4.5 miles on the trails this morning. There's been a newish group running out there every Friday morning and some ladies posted that they wanted to join in for a shorter loop this morning. I let them know that i was planning on the same loop and would make sure they got back to the parking lot without getting lost. I stopped at every major intersection to make sure that we were all together before moving on. (They were also used to doing a run / walk interval so figured they wouldn't mind the stops) they had done a 5K in July that I also ran so I tried to get them oriented compared to that course so they might start to get a feel for the trails. They were all very nice and thanked me afterwards and I was glad to have helped them learn about the trails and hope to see them out there again. It worked perfect for me as an easy run before the marathon on Sunday.

Weekend will be having fun in Omaha with Rob, Cathy and Chris. I also get to hang out with our oldest daughter and see the school where she is teaching. Oh, and I guess running a marathon somewhere in there.

Bonus: Melted CheeseWiz like the Philly cheesesteak places use.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:38 PM
Running with those ladies was very nice of you.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-22 1:26 PM
I was practicing for Sunday.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-22 12:44 PM
Have a great weekend! Good luck!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-22 6:24 PM
Have fun in Omaha! Take it easy with the heat!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:15 PM Edited 2017-09-22 12:20 PM
I love me some fried chicken. My mom's fried chicken is the absolute best, but I haven't had it in like 30 years. Spicy tenders from Popeye's is my usual go-to. The strangest fried food I have eaten is crickets. :shocker!: I think they were nacho flavored, I had them at my company's holiday party a few years ago.

Run/workout: SDO from running. I did a bit of stretching this morning and will take the dog on a long walk tonight.
Food/drink: leftovers from dinner last night: chicken sausage with sauteed veggies over pasta
Blather/weekend plans: I have 16 miles tomorrow morning, and then I hope to go apple picking so I can make apple crisp. I never bake, but I love me some apple crisp with fresh apples!

Bonus: I generally eat my french fries plain with salt and pepper, but I love them with gravy too
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:39 PM
I love gravy on just about any food.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-22 12:45 PM
Getting out early sounds like a good plan for tomorrow.:cool: It is supposed to be hot!:meh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-22 6:22 PM
I love baking with fresh apples! We're going picking on Sunday, Riamede Farms in Chester. Where do you go?

Jackie and I have 18 tomorrow, see you in Saddle River Park!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-22 12:28 PM Edited 2017-09-22 12:33 PM
Favorite fried food would be chicken fried chicken or steak. Slathered with white gravy and mashed potatoes.

Strangest. Lamb fries.

Non-workout: 5 miles last night with the Lady on the easy side of the lake last night. Typical slow plodding run for me as of late. Very warm out there for the first day of fall. We are getting our summer now or so it seems. Weight stuff at the gym at lunch.

Blather: Weird new pain in my left leg today. Not around the knee, but sort of a shooting nerve pain in the lower leg around the calf muscle. Joy of joys. It hasn't been a consistent thing which is weird. Had no issues doing my weight stuff at the gym, and no issues last night after running. I am about to give up on this stuff.

Weekend plans: I am on-call so not much. My sister is in town, well NJ, for her grand daughter's birthday so we will pop down there for a visit tomorrow. Probably float in the pool on Sunday since we are kicking off fall with 90 degree days.

Bonus: Salt first, ketchup second.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:40 PM
Calf pain :fistbump:, though mine is on the side of the calf.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-22 12:50 PM
I never understood what the description of "chicken-fried" is supposed to mean. I've heard of chicken fried steak, but have no idea what chicken fried chicken is or how it would be different from just fried chicken?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:54 PM
I don't really get the "chicken-fried" thing either except that I know it is fkking awesome, especially when covered in the southern gravy.  Chicken-fried chicken has no bones, and is always chicken which has been flattened. Or, at least that is what I have observed......we need BigTex to pipe in and tell us what is what.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-22 12:59 PM
Chicken fried chicken is typically chicken pounded flat, like Blazer says. It's usually heavily battered and seasoned, but of the course it's the southern gravy that adds the final decadence to the meal. Cracker Barrel actually makes a very tasty version.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-22 6:19 PM
Lamb fries... like the rocky mountain oysters of the sheep world?:shocker!::cry::laugh:  How did they taste?
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-22 12:42 PM
I'll buck the trend and say sweet potato fries. Strange to me at least is deep fried Kit Kat.

Run/workout: I have been resting my hip and suffering from a dearth of motivation post RTB. I am quickly starting to fall behind on my only remaining goal for the year (1200 miles). Until thi smonth, I was really right on track.:meh:
Food/Drink: pizza and wine planned
Blather: I got nothing going on...kitchen has had no progress since Tuesday. I hope the contractor is still alive...:meh::roll::mutmad:

Weekend: I have some administrative type work to do. We are beginning to renegotiate our contract/lease with the health system. Since I seem to be the only partner who remembers how to add :roll:, the review falls on me so that someone can follow what the accountant and lawyer are saying.:roll:

Bonus: ketchup or plain salt. I used to love fries with mozzarella and gravy but now can't see that without also seeing the accompanying flatline EKG tracing.:laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:58 PM
The number one truth all commercial bankers know is.......the VERY WORST business people IN THE WORLD are doctors. Perhaps 1 out of 100 has some sort of business acumen. You are so special to be that one!!! :laugh:A very close second to doctors are engineers, this is a scientifically proven fact!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-22 6:15 PM
Sweet potato fries are my favorite!

RTB motivated me, I ran better there than I thought I would- and so did you!:grin:

Your bonus: Poutine!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-09-22 7:46 PM
Yes, sweet potato fries. :D

I hope your contractor is alive. : pbbt:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 12:50 PM
My fried chicken which I make every 12-18 months.....fried in bacon grease.  I honestly don't eat fried food more than every couple of months.  The weirdest was probably something odd at the annual Wild Game Dinner we attend at a friend's house.  One year it was gator (but if have had that several times before) and this past year, I think it was some sort of varmit traditionally thought of as roadkill, but I don't recall what type of varmit.

Two miles of brisk walking in the stank.  Wow, it is gross out.  The forecast for what I already anticipated as my what will probably my PW marathon on Sunday looks hot and gross as well.:roll:  I just ate a grilled shrimp taco for lunch and it was delicious.

Blather:  In the spring, my office will be moving as a bunch of us will consolidated into fancy new space.  My drive will increase from 10 to about 30 minutes, but that will still be very manageable.  I learned that at our company's HQ in Louisiana, a lot of people have standing desks, so I requested I have one in the new space. That will make up for the extra 40 minutes or so I spend a day in the car!

Weekend:  Omaha with the 50 state crew.  It should be very fun except for the marathon part.

Bonus:  Ketchup, but I will basically use any condiment.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-22 2:21 PM
So after chatting with one of the 50 State crew this past weekend, I am increasingly excited for you all. When I think of my 50, almost 1/2 were run with one or more of the 4 of you. If I include other runango/forum peeps, almost 3/4 were run with some sort of FE. I hope to be at all your 50th states (whether invited or not: pbbt:)!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 7:38 PM
While still 19 states away and hopefully 17 by the end of the year, I think I may end in either NJ, NY or IN. The first two seem convenient for lots of peeps. If I end in Indiana, my brothers may be convinced to attend as well as maybe, Chris Stores.....since he was a big part of three of my races so far. If you aren't there, I'd be SOOOO disappointed!  (KC 2020 is the plan for nooner's 50th!)
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-22 6:07 PM
Have a good race, Cathy! Take it easy with the heat!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-09-22 7:44 PM
Good luck!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-09-22 7:42 PM Edited 2017-09-22 7:48 PM
There are some fried Indian foods that I love, also calamari, sweet potato fries. Also the fried sweet potato tater tots at a place nearby. I like fried food, my stomach doesn't always approve. :cry: Oddest chicken feet and some pig thing. A Chinese coworker brought it to try. This was back when I was a meat eater. The feet were chewy and the amount of stuff simply not worth the trouble.
No run. I did run once this week.

Some stressful stuff at work, but it should get better now.

Dad went for a short walk outdoors today, makes me happy. :hug: The followup with the cardio this week also was good. So we are hopeful.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 8:34 PM
Good new about your dad!:happy:

There is a taco place in a gas station near us, which has fried pork belly tacos.....they are awesome!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Fry-day daily