Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Last day of summer Thursdaily
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-21 10:15 AM
Today is the last (full) day of summer with fall arriving just after 4:00PM tomorrow.  Which is your favorite season?  What was the best part about this past summer for you?

Also, tell us about today's run-workout-food-drinks and anything else you care to mention.

Bonus:   To Everything There Is A Season
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-21 11:22 AM
:cry: I don't want summer to end! I didn't get to do enough summery things this summer like go to the beach so I'm sad to see summer go. That said, my favorite season is fall. The crisp air, the turning leaves, I just love it. I think it's my favorite because I always lived going back to school in the fall, so it's like a new year starting as well. The best part of this past summer for me has definitely been the wedding planning. :hug:

Workout: 4x1 mi cruise intervals with 1 min rest. 1 mi w/u and c/d. I was aiming for 8:22 pace and came away with 8:25, 8:26, 8:27, and 8:30. Legs were still tired from RTB so I am pleased that I was able to hold pace for the most part.
I am having leftover lo mein with lots of Sriracha for lunch.
Blather: my coworker friend turned pod person again. :meh::mutmad: I spoke to my boss about it because pod person is openly questioning the my capabilities and those of other people in my department, and he said he'd go talk to her boss. :roll: That's not what I want, but I am not sure what else to do at this point. :meh:

Bonus: Love that song!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:52 PM
Sorry, I must have missed this previously......what is a pod person?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-21 3:07 PM
A coworker has turned into a completely different person over the past few months, so I say that she's a pod person like from Invasion of the Body Snatchers : pbbt:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 11:53 AM Edited 2017-09-21 11:56 AM
Spring is still my favorite season. I like the onset of longer days and seeing the world turn green and wake up. Rebirth.

Summer has not been that great here in terms of running or anything else for that matter. Well, not that things have been awful outside of running but nothing big or exciting has happened. I guess if I had to pick something I'd say getting out to Longwood Gardens several times over the summer with the wife for long walks (for her) to take in the gardens.

Non-workout: Just a dog walk so far but plan to take the Lady out for about an hour on the trails of Green Lane this evening. Oh, I still need to do my PT exercises today. Yippee!

Blather: This is more appropriate to the "out of the blue" daily, but took the afternoon off yesterday to head out and play a round of golf. Out of the blue I shot a 74, 3 over par for 18 holes. I have not shot a round like that in well over 10 years. I even double bogied the first hole, but then it was smooth sailing. My drives were going long, straight, sort of crazy long for me these days but I suspect it was because the fairways were firm and fast. If I missed a green, I chipped it within the leather most times. I did have a couple of bogies but offset most of those with birdies. Towards the end of the round I was just shaking my head about how I was playing. Crazy stuff.

Bonus: Getting close to seasons end, I heard somebody say
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-09-21 12:00 PM
Wow, I'm impressed.  1 over for 17 holes!  That's golf:  some days you're the bug,  but some days you get to be the windshield.

I have also noticed that I suddenly became a longer driver over the last couple of months when the ground got hard and the grass got short.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 12:13 PM
My best round this year was 82, typically 86, though I did shoot 77 at the old man's course across the street from the house, but this was a regulation course for around here... 6,300+ from the blue tees. I don't know where it came from, though I have had glimpses this year of being close, but never had all facets of the game clicking at the same time.
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:04 PM
Gives me hope ... :grin:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:23 PM
Great job on the 74!! :politegolfclap:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:56 PM
Woo-hoo on the 74!

:loudgolfclap:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-21 4:43 PM
It won't surprise you to know that I have never heard the song in your link!:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 6:04 PM
Shocking, but in your defense it's pretty obscure. :grin:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-21 12:30 PM
I like summer.  It used to be fall for the running weather but...well, you know.

Haven't really done much this summer.  As it passed I kind of got focused on how increasingly bad my hip was getting and while I cold have acted earlier, I was focused on my Aug. 30 appt. for my annual physical to start the ball rolling. Now I'm looking forward to spring when I'll hopefully be fully functional again.

Workout will be teaching cycling class this evening.  Beer & pizza afterwards.

Bonus:  Turn, turn, turn.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:57 PM
I love that song.  While I know I have heard it in many capacities, it always reminds me of Forest Gump as it is in that movie somewhere.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:22 PM
I enjoy fall when the humidity goes away and running becomes enjoyable again. The part about this summer was our Alaska trip.

Summer does not want to let go. It was 90 degrees when we headed out on our run. We did our normal flat 5 mile course to stay in as much shade as possible and my running partner didn't mind at all when I suggested that we take the short route and just did 4 miles. I'm sure that one mile is going to make a huge difference on Sunday in Omaha. :laugh:

My wife headed up to her mom's so I'm on my own for dinner tonight so it will be leftover rotisserie chicken and some pasta salad.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:58 PM
In that weather, running one mile less will probably benefit you on Sunday!
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-21 2:05 PM
Favorite season - Spring. Days getting longer and warmer, things growing, so many reasons to be optimistic.

Best parts of past Summer: Tie between (a) not dying from the blood clot in my lung, and (b) leaving everyone and everything behind (5 kids + 2 houses + 2 dogs) and getting away for a weekend with my girlfriend.

Workout: 7 miles

Blather: Caught one of my kids smoking weed last night:mutmad:.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-21 2:14 PM
A week ago, in the background of Snapchat posted by my daughter's roommate, I saw a hand passing a joint to someone else.  The hand either belonged to my daughter or her roommate. The identifying clue was a black hairband worn on the left wrist....they both do this so I couldn't tell who it was.:mutmad:  As such, in my mind they are both guilty and I will address when she gets home.  If I am paying for college, she needs to follow my rules.  If she doesn't like it, she is welcome to come home and pay for college herself.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-21 2:59 PM
Yep. I've put a fair amount of trust my kids up to this point, simply leaving the door open and going to bed. I think late night is when one of them has been doing dumb things. So now there will be a more strict curfew and I will be staying up and looking into their eyes, smelling their breath and clothes, etc. And if more shit happens there will be more restrictions.

In MA that shit is legal if you're 21. In TX it's rumored to be legal to shoot your kid for doing that shit. #LiberalStateSteretypes #TexasStereotypes
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 8:02 AM
Well, I don't do guns, but I do pay for basically everything in their lives. You want college tuition? No pot. You want a cell phone? No pot. You want to keep that car? No pot. They can do what they want when they live on their own buck. Good luck!

I actapually have always had the rule, that when they come in at night, they have to wake me up and give me a hug or kiss, then I can smell and observe them.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-22 8:57 AM
Your rules make perfect sense... not sure how my parents put up with me but I did keep myself responsible (work, grades) and paid my own way for most things.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 9:04 AM
I worked fulltime and went to college at night, all on my own dollar.  This was out of necessity as my parents couldn't afford to pay for college, but they did allow me to live at home the six years it took me to finish.  Since I lived in their house, I followed their rules.....or was just smart enough not to get caught breaking their rules!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-22 12:32 PM
I moved out after high school, just because I was ready to be on my own. Paid for college wasn't something my parents could have afforded either, so I did my associates degree in 4 years while living/working out in CA. Community college was free out there once you were a resident. So I took a year off after HS, goofed around, established my residency, then started getting my shit together.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-21 3:09 PM
I think not dying would edge out a weekend away :wtf::hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 6:05 PM
I smoked weed in high school, so I recommend you warn your kid now so they don't turn out like XT.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-21 2:08 PM
I love Michigan Summer, which should start in the next week here in Dallas!:laugh:  Growing up, I always enjoyed summer and fall the best.  Where I live now, winter is like fall, so that is a good thing.  Best part of last summer was the two weeks which started with my FE/marathon in Portland and ended with ten days in Michigan with family. 

I did 5:45 am boxing class this morning which was a perfect workout.  Lots of cardio, worked a lot of muscles and helped me stretch out my bum leg.  I had a big salad for lunch and have to go to a THING for work for dinner, and have no idea what will be served. 

BONUS:  It is impossible to be in  bad mood when Earth, Wind & Fire sing September! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-21 4:43 PM
It won't surprise you to know that I love the song in your link!:laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 6:02 PM
You'd be surprised to know that I like that song in Blazer's link as well. Love might be pushing it. I did not know it was named September though I've heard it a bazillion times. :grin:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-21 9:49 PM
I was going to link an 80's song by Expose called "Seasons Change", but even I don't really like this one all that much.:roll::laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqk6y5Hmy9s
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-22 8:56 AM
I didn't make it through too much of that one..  :laugh:

How about a little Aerosmith, Seasons of Wither 

Or better yet, Seasons in the Sun, which I refuse to link for fear on chronic earbud syndrome!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Last day of summer Thursdaily