Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / New Orleans Recommendations
- - By rob26.2 Date 2017-09-19 4:38 PM
Hey Ya'll!

We had some airfare vouchers that were going to expire in late Oct. So Mrs. Rob and I booked a trip to New Orleans.

If anyone has any recommendations of things to see or do, please post!

Thanks.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-09-19 8:27 PM
When are you going? I'll be there in Oct for a HIM relay
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2017-09-20 9:39 AM
October 17 - 20
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-09-20 8:09 PM
Ah I get there 21st
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-09-21 10:08 PM
There was a recommendation for the walking food tours on a thread in my tri group. I can't find that thread now.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-19 9:28 PM
There was a nice seafood restaurant called GW Fins off Bourbon Street. It was there that I had a delicious Thaitini.:happy: I am not sure if it is still on the menu, but if it is, it's awwwwwwwesssssome!!!

Also http://www.cafedumonde.com/, but you can only go on a COFFEE DAY!!, so plan appropriately!:wink:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-20 8:28 AM
Mother's for breakfast
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-20 9:23 AM
The World War 2 museum is supposed to be very good. We mostly just walked around Bourbon Street and watched the people. We did catch some jazz clubs on Frenchman street.
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-09-20 12:25 PM
The WWII museum is very good, if you are into that kind of history at all.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-20 2:42 PM
I have heard great things about this and hope to visit it the next time I am there.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-09-21 9:24 AM
Last time I was there, I stayed at a (dumpy) hotel which might have been torn down to build the WWII Museum.  We had a couple of off duty NO cops outside at night who made a display of the gun on their hip.  I don't know that it made me feel any safer.  However - the area right around there has seen a big rebirth in the past few years and there are a lot of neat restaurants and bars there.  It's well away from Bourbon Street - more of a yuppie type area then the frat type area around Bourbon Street.  Worth a look.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-09-21 9:17 AM
If you go West from the convention center, there is a trolley line on the green space between streets.  It's a good place to run.  I can Google it if needed.  I think there are supposed to be a lot of nice houses along the route and you run past a university or two.  I think this is the St. Charles Line.  After your run you need to stop at Cafe Du Monde for a beignet and chicory coffee.

There are several very good buck a shuck oyster places down near Bourbon Street.

Of course you'll visit the French Quarter and Jackson Square.

For the most part, I'm not that big a fan of Bourbon Street.  Most of the booze there is overpriced and low grade and people seem to just go there to go nuts.

Keep your eye on the www,cowboymouth.com website just in case they add a date in NO when you are there.

The food and music are great - eat a lot and take in as much entertainment as you can!  Emeril has some restaurants there - they have been somewhat hit or miss for me.  Preservation Hall may have some events while you are there.  Lots of bars/eateries have music.  I like eat at almost any place there that has live music.

If you have a car and want to go for a drive, the gulf coast across the border in MS can be quite tranquil - sunsets on the gulf when then water is dead flat are quite striking.  Of course I guess you can see that from NO also.

If you want to do some tourist type stuff, you might consider a bike tour early in your trip to get a better idea of the layout of the area and places to go and things to see.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2017-09-21 9:55 AM
We will be about a mile from the convention center and I saw the St. Charles line on a map. Your is the 2nd rec for Cafe Du Monde so my post run recovery will consist of beignet(s). The live music is another interest for us. We will probably hit Bourbon Street during the day when it is a little less crazy.

Thanks Dave!
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-09-21 9:56 AM
Oh yeah, one of my friends is a big NO fan, and he LOVES the bike tours.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-22 9:06 AM
Now that I think of it, the BEST thing to do in New Orleans is to run the first 7-8 miles of a marathon with BigTex.  :hug:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-09-22 10:07 PM
Or have a half dozen forumites try and run you to a half marathon PR. :D That was such a fun day. And I did eke out a teeny tiny PR.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / New Orleans Recommendations