Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Catch us up on you... Lurkers too!
1 2 3 Previous Next  
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-19 11:01 AM
Seems like it's pretty threadbare (tee hee) in here lately, and some of us aren't here all the time. So let us know what's been going on in your life over the last few whatevers. How are things? Celebrations, vacations, relationships? Share what you think others might like to know about you. :cool:

I'll start.

After being in my house since 2011, neighborhood prices and 3 boys forced our hand to go ahead and sell. So we put our house on the market back at the beginning of June and had a contract in 4 days. We found a house twice the size of ours in a very close neighborhood. Of course it needs work, so we are currently staying with my friend S out in the 'burbs while our house is being remodeled. Some by us and most by a contractor. 95% of our stuff is in storage. I'm sure that adding 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 cats and 2 dogs to your 1 person, 1 dog household must be maddening, but S is a trooper and we're making it work (thank goodness she has a giant house!) The chickens are already living at the new house and couldn't be happier.

My running fell off the rails in July/August - but now that we're somewhat settled I've been back at it although my distance is paltry compared to where I'd like it to be. But that's okay, and I'll get back to where I want soon enough.

The boys are all good - they're now 9, 11(yesterday) and 13 and doing well in school, etc. mrbarney and I are going to see Depeche Mode on Friday, I'm seeing Tesla in early October w/ my bestie, and we've got Chris Stapleton tickets for November (I think) We're also taking my mom and the boys to Cabo over Christmas for something different (thanks to the selling of our house).

I'm super anxious to get the house done and all moved in (I hope late November) but it's been fun to see the progress. Work is work, thank goodness people still need the interwebz! : pbbt:

Oh and Friday was my mom's birthday, so we took her out to dinner and then S and I took her to La Bare for her first visit ever - I think if she could drive she'd become a regular :laugh:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-19 11:26 AM
That's a nice update seems like things are going really well for you. I'm so glad. :hug:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-19 11:33 AM
I'm on Instagram.
Parent - - By cutter [us] Date 2017-10-10 7:28 AM
like.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-10-10 7:29 AM
HEY EVERYONE, CUTTER'S BACK!!!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-19 11:52 AM
La Bare. That's so awesome. :laugh:

Sounds like things are wonderful! :hug:
Maybe we should do Cowtown? :mischief:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-09-19 12:04 PM
I remember La Bare! :laugh: Never went there, but I remember it existed.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-19 12:32 PM
I went once for a friends birthday. I had more fun watching the ecstatic women run up there with money. :mischief::evil::laugh:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-19 12:55 PM
It was some serious day-shit talent there Friday night - but we made the best of it. My mom got a kiss on the cheek and the opportunity to feel a 6-pack, so I think her month has been made :mischief::evil:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-19 1:08 PM
:laugh::hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-19 12:54 PM
I'll be signed up for the 10k as always - would love you to run too. and french toast with Mo afterwards!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-19 1:08 PM
:cool:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-19 12:14 PM
That's all good stuff :hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-09-19 4:16 PM
I love my husband, my dogs, all things marketing, three-day weekends, high-heels, reading, running, knitting, sushi, wine, long walks on the beach:hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:31 AM
yay what a great update, hope to see the finished product of your house on FB :cool:
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:39 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:52 AM
Hi! :hug: All I do is lurk any more. No running, not for a few years, arthritis sucks.

Gus is 10 and Joocee is 9 :shocker!: She still doesn't sleep through the night :laugh:

I've been in my new job for a year and a half and I love it. No more soul-sucking commute, I like the people and what I do.

We moved earlier this year and it is awesome! LOVE our new area. The kids are doing well in their new school. We have a yard! A big one!

Still have 3 cats, although the munchkin is fading :sad: She's old, especially for a munchkin.

We got a puppy :laugh:

DH and I are good :hug: We survived moving :laugh:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:19 PM
moving is certainly the pits! we are having to do it twice and I'm not looking forward to it - at least it will be Texas winter though so it should be too hot (fingers crossed)
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-26 6:50 AM
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2017-09-21 7:19 PM
busy busy busy ! Sounds like things are going pretty good :hug:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:18 PM
good luck with the house stuff, I know how stressful that can be!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:26 PM
If anyone deserves great things like that, it's you. :hug:
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-19 11:27 AM
I got married, had a baby, my mom died and I never ever run anymore. That's aboot it from me!
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-19 11:39 AM
and your baby is walking! :hug:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-19 11:39 AM
I know i can't believe it he's such a big boy now! :cry::hug:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-19 11:46 AM
I saw him on Instagram.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-19 11:51 AM
Yes very good. :happy:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-19 11:51 AM
He is soooooo cute :hug:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-19 11:54 AM
Haha thanks I think he's the best thing ever:hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-19 12:14 PM
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:59 PM
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:31 AM
:hug: Baby Benji!
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-21 7:52 AM
:grin: Heyyy happy belated!!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 8:16 AM
I AM AN OLD LADY NOW : pbbt:
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:38 AM
Parent - By pufkast Date 2017-09-21 12:44 PM
Congratulations on both!
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:18 PM
your baby is absolutely adorable -- soon you will be running again -- after him. : pbbt::hug:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-26 6:50 AM
He's already starting to run! He's turning into such a cute little toddler. :hug:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-26 11:18 AM
just wait until 16 months, that is when the terrible twos start.  :grin:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-26 11:28 AM
ugh that's so soon:cry:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-26 11:58 AM
Everything seems 1-2 years ahead from what I remember. Be it what they are learning in school or the attitude. They grow up too fast.:sad:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:32 PM
:hug: Don't listen to what others say about terrible twos and such. As I've mentioned to you before, it keeps getting better and better and when you think it can't get any better it does. Until the speedbump in the early teens, but you've got a while before then. :wink:
- - By jennyO Date 2017-09-19 12:07 PM
A lot of wonderful things have happened in your life in the last few years. :hug:

I’m not on here as much as I once was, but I’ll chime in.  We’re coming up on 5 years in our house, and still doing work on it here and there.  Long-term plan is to sell it in a couple of years when my youngest is off to college.  We’d like to move to a smaller place in Auburn, up near the trails.  I’ll have to figure out how to keep working for the Supreme Court or, if that’s not possible, I could work for the appellate court in Sacramento.  I just absolutely HATE the commute into this god-awful, seedy part of San Francisco.

Anyway, things are pretty good on the kid front.  SNF’s two live with us full-time.  They’re taking a break from college at the moment, but they are both working, which is good.  You guys probably recall all the drama we went through with my oldest, Zoe.  She’s been living with us full-time, too.  We had a rough year with her after she was home from therapeutic boarding school, but she has slowly been straightening herself out.  Managed to graduate high school by the skin of her teeth (her diploma is technically from the “adult school,” if that gives you an indication), but she held down a job for a long time and is now going to community college mostly full-time.  No more out-of-control eating disorder, that we can tell, and the pot smoking seems to have diminished.  My youngest is still a superstar academic achiever, so all our hopes are pinned on her for a fast launch.  She’s on varsity crew and an A+ student, so hopefully there will be scholarships involved.

SNF is running again like gangbusters, but he can describe that for you himself.  I trained my heart out all year, so relieved that my 2-year-long ankle injury finally healed.  Although I managed to finish Zion 100 in April, I DNF’d my big goal race – Wasatch 100 – because I timed out at mile 75.  I'm a slow old lady now. :cry:  Anyway, I’m heading back to the drawing board and planning to focus on shorter, faster stuff so that I can hopefully re-teach my legs how to move quicker.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-19 12:53 PM
I'd been wondering how Zoe was doing. Glad that she seems to be on better path, for all of you :hug:
Sorry to have seen about your DNF, it's just one race though, and you are amazing, so I know that the next thing you set your sights on you will knock out of the park!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-19 1:39 PM
Glad to hear about Zoe.

That would be cool if you guys live in Auburn :happy::cool: Hope it works out for you.

You took on two tough 100's. I'd call that a win!

Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:32 AM
Glad to hear about Z and all the kids and running and stuff. You've lived there for 6 years by the way. : pbbt:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:42 AM
Sorry about the time-out at Wasatch but you did cover a lot of the course. I guess you handled the elevation ok.

I think living close the trails would be awesome. I am close to the local trails (driving distance) but always look at the houses near the trail heads and am jealous.
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:40 AM
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:20 PM
really good to hear about Zoe.  Sorry about Wasatch but hopefully you will have more running victories.  :cool::hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:41 PM
I'm so glad to hear about Zoe. :hug:

I've kept up enough about you and s&f. As for you, you're anything but a slow old lady now.:mutmad: But best to you on the drawing board thing...I'm kind of going through the same thing myself. :happy:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-19 1:53 PM
Strange year and when I list some of the things in my head, I feel like I should be really bummed out. But I'm not.

Torn hamstring derailed my Umstead Run in April.

My father died in April. He was out of the picture pretty early on but I'm glad I went to the funeral and met some people he was close to in his life. Both parents gone now.

Went to Ireland in June and ran around the country for 6 days. It was pretty challenging but a dream trip in many ways and I succeeded in not re-injuring the hamstring.

A few days after returning, ended up with some weird symptoms. A walk-in then ER trip said my heart was in afib. WTF?

Got my heart shocked back into normal rhythm in August.

Able to run again with no issue though I do occasionally worry about dropping dead.

Couldn't run Vermont in July in my never ending quest to get my ticket for the WS because of the heart thing.

Hope to do a 50k in a couple of weeks and then decide if I will sign up for Javelina 100 at the end of Oct.

Had new kitchen counters put in and a new floor. Looks pretty nice!

My kitties are good :hug::hug: Grady turned 11 and she seems to get more sweet as the years pass. McDuff is five now and crazy as ever. He makes me laugh almost every day :hug::hug:

My neighbors got two puppies and they are very cute and crazy. We still miss Murphy, their dog who died in April, but it's nice having the puppies around.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-09-19 1:59 PM
I didn't know they had to shock your heart!  :shocker!:
Glad you're feeling better though :hug:
Good luck in your upcoming 50k :happy:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:18 PM
I didn't know about the heart shock either -- yikes!  Sorry to hear about that, but hope you are feeling better since then.  :hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:33 AM
I loved reading and seeing about Ireland! I want to go there one day. My gpa was born in Belfast.

I had no idea about shocking your heart! Holy cow that is scary. Glad you are feeling better now.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:37 AM
Great news on your health and your comeback to running.  :hug:

I guess I am done chasing WS as my 16 tickets are going to expire without a qualifier this year. :meh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-21 9:12 AM
:sad:

I should probably stop chasing too.
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:40 AM
:happy::hug:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:21 PM
glad to hear your heart is better and kitties are good. :hug::hug:

good luck with the 50K
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:43 PM
:shocker!::hug:

Best on your running and of course with Grady and McDuff. :hug:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:08 PM
- DW and I still have an empty nest, but we have a new kitten, so it's empty and chaotic at the same time.

- I've been hanging out with a few local runners the last 18 months or so: going to races with them, offering to pace them or volunteer for races.  That has been a great experience.  DW is starting to meet them and enjoys them.  We even camped together last weekend at a race in Ohio, our first time camping together in over 5 years.

- I did my own journey run (created a route and ran it) through Indiana last month, and it went very well.  I may make this an annual thing, but change the route each year until I pass through every one of Indiana's 92 county seats

- My children are doing well.  The oldest rode out Irma in Ft. Lauderdale.  The other two are enjoying SC.  I like my son-in-law, and he appears to be okay with me. 

- Still no new car.  The Vibe is less than 5000 away from 300,000 miles

- Oh, and I got a new iPhone a few weeks ago.  I've graduated from a 3gs to a SE :laugh:  When I saw the price of the new ones, I felt really good about my purchase.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:10 PM
What kind of no new car?
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-19 5:48 PM
Your journey run was very cool! You seem to be having a great running year:happy:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:34 AM
Yay! Loved reading about the journey run, very cool. Also enjoyed seeing you in July...you are a true inspiration. :hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 7:36 AM
kittens! they are such jerks and so loveable.
congrats on your new phone - moving right along there! :laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:32 AM
So, does the Vibe have less or more miles than your legs?!  :laugh:

I am impressed with your ability to stay healthy and running so strong. :cool:
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:41 AM
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:21 PM
:cool::hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:46 PM
This generally is pretty damn good. Keep it up, including your Vibe. :grin:
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:09 PM
I'm back down in Nashville now.  No snow!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:10 PM
You might find this thread to be helpful.

http://www.runango.com/forums/topic_show.pl?tid=195731
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-09-19 2:14 PM
Damn.....beat me to it
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:24 PM
Maybe he doesn't mind repeating.

BOOM!
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-09-19 2:33 PM
You might find this thread to be helpful.

http://www.runango.com/forums/topic_show.pl?tid=195731

I'm so happy I have you as my best friend, and I love Lisa so much.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-19 3:17 PM
I can't wait until you bump this thread in 8 years. :cool:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-09-19 4:13 PM
I've marked it on my 2025 calendar....and I'm also going to ask about Gallowalking.:hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-19 3:23 PM
I guess I missed you by a few days. :sad:
Yay! :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 7:37 AM
are you in the same area that you were before you moved?
are you glad to be back?
when are we running NOLA again?
and...How are the kitties?
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-26 12:48 PM
Yes, #RUNANGONOLA2018 should definitely be a thing :shocker!::grin:

And yep, in pretty much the same area -- 2 or 3 miles from the house I grew up in.  :shocker!:
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:41 AM
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:22 PM
I didn't realize that!  No snow sounds good.  Are you still working in the law and do you still have access to all you can eat nuts??????
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-25 4:51 PM
Yes, haven't changed jobs, but mostly work from home now, so I have a literal pantry from which to snack.  :shocker!::grin:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-26 11:17 AM
but this means you must supply your own nuts.  :cry::cry:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:47 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:50 PM
:cool:

I used to stay in Knoxville on the way to a Twisted Ankle FE. I could be persuaded into a Nashville or NOLA FE race gathering pretty easily. Just sayin'
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-27 5:55 PM
NOLA!  Sounds like a great idea.  :grin:  I'll just assume everyone is in and start planning accordingly.  :happy:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-28 7:19 AM
I like how your mind works TJ!
Parent - - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-10-09 7:56 AM
I'm hoping to get back down to see my sister's new house there at some point. We could have an awkward FE! :grin:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-10-09 8:00 AM
:grin:  Yay!
- - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-09-19 3:39 PM
The wife is still working on the house.  We have the southern California equivalent of the Winchester Mystery House, but she won't admit it.  Have to hand it to her, though, it looks much better since she has been doing this and that to it.  And I'll give her kudos for the backyard.  She plants the flowers and I pull the weeds.  I generally don't get the two confused.

Great trip to Quebec.

Am seeing a second orthopedist re my rt. torn hip labrum and whatever that thing is in the back of my left knee that pulls on it when I walk (running on it would be impossible), on Thursday.  He has the MRI pics and written report.  The first one apparently didn't want to be bothered.  Most just do knees and shoulders, not hips.  Haven't run in a month and a half.

This guy works with a local professional sports team, so he should see pretty much everything in his office.  In the interim, have been working out on the arc trainer at the gym.  It's getting me by.  Though not very interesting, it's better than nothing.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-09-20 5:38 PM
I hope you get answers soon...
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 7:31 AM
good luck with your second opinion - hope they get you all sorted out :hug:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:23 PM
sorry about the injury.  I hope you heal well and get back to running.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:52 PM
:laugh: Good for not getting the two confused. That sounds like my life at home too.

I replied on the other thread about your labrum. :meh:
- - By darbycrash Date 2017-09-19 6:07 PM
--Son started kindergarten
--I'm teaching 6th grade(3 classes science, 2 classes history)
--still running, training for a trail marathon in November. I'm getting older but haven't slowed much yet. Putting emphasis on running economy and recovering between workouts over mileage.

Free time other than running consists of 5 year old soccer games, swim lessons,park trips. And chores. Simple but I'm happy. Wish the little guy could stay this age forever.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-20 8:28 AM
Can't believe littledarby is already in kindergarten - that sure went by fast! :happy:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-20 12:46 PM
I forgot he was the same age as my youngest. Time really does fly.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:35 AM
Teaching! how awesome. I taught 6th grade as well. They are a unique group :laugh::cool: :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:30 AM
I didn't know you were a teacher... cool, but that is a tough crowd I suspect!
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:42 AM
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:23 PM
I totally sympathize with your wish.  My oldest is in high school and in my mind he is still in Kindergarten. :cry::cry:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:54 PM
:cool::hug:

Don't wish too hard about the little guy because it really does get better and better.:wink:
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-19 8:20 PM
Things are pretty good hereabouts . DW and I are enjoying the " golden " years . I'm still on the green side of the grass , thanks to excellent docs and the miracles of cancer immunotherapy . I am one extremely fortunate hombre .

No more running for moi , but I do my 15-20 gallomiles every week. Truthfully, I still miss my runs , but ces't la vie.

We spent a glorious early Summer  week on Cannon Beach Oregon with all the family ; s'mores, beach fires, hiking and great IPAs . All the  younguns are doing great . I feel closer to our 3 DDS than ever. We plan to all gather  in New Orleans for Festivus .

Next April DW and I have planned a Viking canal cruise thru Europe to celebrate our 50th -actually it will be #55 , but we had to change plans a few times 'cuz of my health issues. This time we go, Lawd willing and the creek don' t rise.

A time worn cliche , but life is good .:happy::happy::happy:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-20 8:27 AM
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-20 12:46 PM
:hug::hug: That trip will be amazing!
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-20 6:56 PM
We have our collective fingers crossed. :grin:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-09-20 7:29 PM
My parents have done a couple of Viking cruises and really like them :happy: You said canals? I know one they did was the Danube as they’re always talking about it, not sure about any others
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-20 9:06 PM
Our trip is from Budapest to Amsterdam. Great beer towns :grin:
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-09-21 6:05 AM
:cool: it’ll be amazing
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:36 AM
:hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:29 AM
:happy:

There is a Bowie Song in my head right now... Golden Years, gold whop whop whop
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-21 8:33 AM
:grin:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2017-09-21 7:21 PM
Enjoy the cruise.   I might have to google Viking canal cruise to see what that's all about :grin::grin:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:24 PM
:cool::hug:  keeping fingers crossed for your cruise.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-25 6:46 PM
:grin:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 5:56 PM
mmmm, you had me at great IPAs.:cool:

The other stuff sounds great. And gallowing is running whatever *they* say. Keep everything up, sideshow. :hug:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-20 11:13 AM
Not a ton is new with me :wink:

Both of my kiddos are in school now (kindergarten and second) so that's been an adjustment.
I'm enjoying running as well as crossfit several times a week.
Our school running club started two weeks ago and we have over 140 kids. That's pretty neat to be a part of. :cool:
Olive is good. T is good. We signed a deal last night to put in a pool so we are all looking forward to that. :hug:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:36 AM
I can't believe they are both in school :shocker!:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-21 7:40 AM
Right? :shocker!:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 7:38 AM
and the chickens?
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-21 7:41 AM
Oh, they're great!! Their personalities are hilarious. :laugh:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:25 PM
school running clubs are awesome.  I ran with my younger son at our old school.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 6:02 PM
It's good to have seen you around occasionally in recent weeks, raider. :hug: But I can't believe that your kids are already in school! :shocker!:

Hey do you keep in touch with gina and if so, how is she doing?
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-27 7:07 PM
Hi Gina.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-28 6:18 AM
:hug::hug:
I haven't talked to her much but the last time I did, she was good. Busy with work and her two kiddos. :hug:
- - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-09-20 12:37 PM
I’m not on here as much as I once was, but I’ll chime in. We’re coming up on 6* years in our house, and still doing work on it here and there. Long-term plan is to sell it in a couple of years when Jenny's youngest is off to college. We’d like to move to a smaller place in Auburn, up near the trails. Jenny’ll have to figure out how to keep working for the Supreme Court or, if that’s not possible, she could work for the appellate court in Sacramento. She just absolutely HATE the commute into this god-awful, seedy part of San Francisco.

Anyway, things are pretty good on the kid front. My two live with us full-time. They’re taking a break from college at the moment, but they are both working, which is good.  You guys probably recall all the drama we went through with Jenny's oldest, Zoe. She’s been living with us full-time, too. We had a rough year with her after she was home from therapeutic boarding school, but she has slowly been straightening herself out. Managed to graduate high school by the skin of her teeth (her diploma is technically from the “adult school,” if that gives you an indication), but she held down a job for a long time and is now going to community college mostly full-time. No more out-of-control eating disorder, that we can tell, and the pot smoking seems to have diminished. Jenny's youngest is still a superstar academic achiever, so all our hopes are pinned on her for a fast launch. She’s on varsity crew and an A+ student, so hopefully there will be scholarships involved.

I'm running again like gangbusters. Jenny trained her heart out all year, having finally put the long rehab of her ankle injury behind her. She finished Zion 100 in April, but she DNF’d her big goal race – Wasatch 100. It was a tough DNF, catching her off-guard, but she's okay now and focusing on getting back some of her speed. At about mile 73 on the Wasatch course, she encouraged me to run a bit ahead to find a good phone signal so I could sign up for the Umstead 100 in the very very short amount of time registration was open. I got in, along with my brother and his son, who is doing the 50. We're thumping along as best we can. Also, we saw Modest Mouse again in Reno last night.

* Six years, honey. Six. Not five. Six.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-20 12:43 PM
This is all brand new information! Thanks for sharing. :grin:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-20 12:46 PM
:laugh::hug::grin:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-09-20 1:17 PM
It's a good thing that you don't mind repeating.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-09-20 2:10 PM
:laugh::hug::grin:
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-09-20 4:17 PM
:laugh::hug:

You are just awesome-sauce.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-09-20 5:40 PM
Wasn't the Modest Mouse bit new info?  Or, did I just overlook it earlier?
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-09-20 7:44 PM
It happened between the two updates.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:31 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 7:35 AM
:wink:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:12 AM
Vuja De'... good luck at Umstead... that can be a fast course or so I've heard.
:laugh::happy:
Parent - By pufkast Date 2017-09-21 12:45 PM
So original!
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2017-09-21 7:15 PM
We want race reports you two :mutmad:
:laugh::cool:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 6:03 PM
:laugh::cool::hug:
- - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-09-21 6:30 AM
I don't know where to start. :laugh:

Simply put, the last couple of years have been rough on a personal level. Won't go into details but things are improving as I try to grow from these experiences. Self-awareness is a tough pill to swallow at times.

Otherwise, I'm moving up the food chain at work. Kids are growing...7th and 4th graders :shocker!:...and doing well. The mrs. is working on starting her own business doing interior design work.

All in all, I've got a lot to be thankful for as many of us do. It's a good thing to remind ourselves of that. :hug:

Oh...I'm going to see Arcade Fire tomorrow and Band of Horses in a couple of weeks. :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-21 6:45 AM
:hug::hug: I'm so glad to hear that things are improving.

Can't believe your girls are 7th and 4th grade. We are old. :laugh::cry:
Parent - By Annie Date 2017-09-21 6:45 AM
I'm glad things are getting better for you. Good luck to your wife, interior designing sounds amazing.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-21 6:47 AM
:hug: From what I can tell things seem to be looking up. I hope that's the case! :happy:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:30 AM
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 7:33 AM
do you still have the chance to bike? I didn't ride at all this summer, but once we get settled in the new house, I'd like to start commuting to work again.
best of luck to mrsswims - I have zero talent w/ design, so I'm already in awe of her.

enjoy your concerts & glad things are getting better :hug:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-09-21 8:50 AM
I've been biking at least once a week. Haven't been doing much else though. :fatface:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:19 PM
time to get back to OTF!
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-21 8:42 AM
:cool: :hug:
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-09-21 10:02 AM
:happy:
Parent - By callie [ca] Date 2017-09-21 10:22 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-21 10:41 AM
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:43 AM
Parent - By pufkast Date 2017-09-21 12:46 PM
Wishing you continued improvement and happiness.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-09-21 4:28 PM
I don't know what happened, but I hope things continue to improve for you.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-26 12:49 PM
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 6:04 PM
My best, adam. :hug:
- - By Annie Date 2017-09-21 6:58 AM
A year and a half ago I suffered a concussion and whiplash injury and it has been a long road back. I spent about six months in bed with severe dizziness and I'm just now getting back to being functional. It's been a difficult struggle as many of the things that I love and give me purpose I could no longer do. No idea if/when I'll work again and if/when I'll run again. But I hold out hope that I will do both again. We also lost one of our beloved dogs just over a year ago.

I do what I can to have fun and we have a getaway with friends planned soon.
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 7:29 AM
Parent - By Annie Date 2017-09-21 7:54 AM
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 7:35 AM
have been keeping up on FB and I know it's been quite the journey for you. but we are all celebrating each of your milestones with your recovery :cool:
Parent - - By Annie Date 2017-09-21 7:56 AM
Thanks :hug:  It's been quite the struggle to be open and honest on FB.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-09-22 7:15 AM
Thank you for making that effort.  You've done it with a lot of class.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-21 8:01 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Hope you enjoy your getaway!!
Parent - - By Annie Date 2017-09-21 8:04 AM
Thanks :hug: A hot tub and wine are involved so it will be fun (it's not as dirty as it sounds :laugh: )
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-09-21 8:06 AM
:laugh::laugh::evil::mischief:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-21 10:42 AM
That must be so hard to not feel well for so long.
Parent - By Annie Date 2017-09-27 6:18 AM
Parent - - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:43 AM
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-09-21 11:58 AM
Parent - - By pufkast Date 2017-09-21 12:46 PM
I've been following your journey on FB.  :hug:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-09-22 6:49 AM
You've had a rough time lately ... I hope you enjoy your getaway you've earned it:hug:
Parent - By Annie Date 2017-09-27 6:19 AM
Parent - - By callie [ca] Date 2017-09-22 7:52 AM
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-25 4:26 PM
I hope you can get back to running and work. :hug::hug:
Me too, I miss both a lot :hug:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-09-26 12:50 PM
Sorry that the injuries have been so debilitating, but seems hopeful that you are further along than where you started.  :hug:
Parent - By Annie Date 2017-09-27 6:20 AM
I have to keep reminding myself how far I've come :hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 6:06 PM
Holy crap, Annie! :shocker!::hug: Recover well, and enjoy your other greyhounds. :hug:
Parent - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-10-09 8:02 AM
:hug: Watching your issues with the concussion has really been eye-opening for me. Thank you for sharing since I don't think most people really get how horrible it can be.
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:10 AM
I am in the same place, same job, and the more I think of it the more I like living in this part of the country (southeast PA an hour west/northwest of Philly). No major flood, hurricane, earthquake, fire, or pestilence. Well other than the stinkbug and spotted lantern fly. Ick. Plenty of state and local parks withno forested trails for running/hiking. I guess my bucket list would be to have a winter home down south but I am not near that financially yet.

The gardens and flowerbeds on our "property" (ha, ha 3/4 of an acre) turned out great this year. My wife took a big interest this year and helped me out with the little stuff. She went crazy planting annuals and moving day lilies and hastas. Things should really look fantastic next season. Not much else to say on the home front other than we are all a year older including the dogs. SirB the springer spaniel is 13 going on 14 and still hanging around thank God. He retired years ago from running but barks like crazy if he doesn't get his daily walk. LadyB the gsp is now 10 years old but still a trail running maniac. Well, assuming she can get me to run these days.

On the running front I am in a bad place and time will tell if I will just give up on it for a few weeks or months. I did manage 2 ultras this year, a 12 hour, 50k. The 50k really went great but I had recovery issue. I ran about 60 miles at Mohican100 but I had my first DNF there for both physical and mental (lack of interest) reasons. I've been struggling with knee pain (left) and swelling all year. I've had it drained a few times as I keep retaining fluid above the joint sort of by the medial quad attachment area. Finally this summer an MRI confirmed meniscal tear and OA. I had the knee scoped to repair the meniscus but I guess I am stuck with the OA. I'm 6 weeks out from the repair, but still retaining fluid around the knee. My last visit to the ortho this week he drained the knee again but even with doing nothing but normal walking and chores I am seeing it puff up again. I think my running life is entering a new phase of not so much running?

Good news is I am playing more golf, I sport I have enjoyed since my teenage years, and my game is getting back on track. Out of the blue I cranked out a 3 over par 74 yesterday afternoon. I am typically a mid80's player now, and haven't shot a score like that in over a decade.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-09-21 8:44 AM
Is the spotted lantern fly a protected species-- sounds a bit exotic ? :wink:
Hang in there .
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-21 8:52 AM
They are nasty invasive bugs from somewhere in Asia. They are fairly localized to a few townships, overlapping counties here in PA. I think they damage to certain types of trees and grapevines. But around our house they just fly around the back deck and annoy you. I've swatted hundreds to an early death this year.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-09-21 9:18 AM
I hope your knee thing turns around with some more time. Glad to hear you have another outdoor activity you enjoy! :hug:

I feel the same way about the place where I live though I would like to live closer to Ithaca than where I am.
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2017-09-21 10:16 AM
Hope your knee gets better and you can carry on with the trail running !
Parent - By Kitty Date 2017-09-21 10:44 AM
Parent - By pufkast Date 2017-09-21 12:47 PM
Nice update.  Give Angus a big "HI" from me
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-09-21 1:21 PM
I've only played golf a few times, and I suck totally, but I've always enjoyed playing. and I could go to TopGolf every weekend if it wasn't so crowded & pricey.
best of luck w/ your knee issue.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-09-21 4:27 PM
That knee sounds painful.  I hope it settles down soon.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-09-26 11:20 AM
hope you get back to running soon. :cool:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-09-27 6:10 PM
Please don't give up on it. You WILL be back. Enjoy the other things in the meanwhile, and I'll hope maybe to see you at Mt. Penn early in the coming year. :happy:
- - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-09-21 8:12 AM Edited 2017-09-21 8:19 AM
Well first and foremost, I'm following The Beard on instragram now, though its been a bit of a letdown so far. : pbbt:

Been in GA for 5!!!! years :shocker!: I still love it here (hate the humid heat in summer and miss the snow sometimes) even though my neighbors are mostly butts so I just avoid them all.

I've been working at the library for 4 years :shocker!: I'm on class 9 of 13 in my dumb old MLIS, sometimes I hate it and sometimes I learn some cool stuff. I'm only taking one class at a time so I won't finish until Sp 2019 which is fine with me. I work 25 hours a week but that feels just perfect for us all. Don't think I can manage more until the trips are driving in a few years. I love my job so much and the people I work with (most of them). Our library is expanding, double in size and getting all renovated so that's really exciting to be a part of. We should have a massive fancy new library next spring 2018. We are about to close for a month to move all the books into a new section of the library while they work in the old section.

The twins are SENIORS in college :shocker!: DD is really has taken on the whole adulting thing, she's in a townhouse this year with 3 other girls and is working on the cooking thing, often facetiming me mid cooking to ask if something looks right. DS is still working on adulting, though he had the cooking thing down already. He really has grown up a lot over the past 2 years getting his grades back on track. Right now they both plan to live at home and work full time next year for a year while they apply to grad schools. I want them to save money and take some time to decide where they want to go from there.

The trips are freshmen in HS :shocker!: They are involved in all kinds of activities so I'm all over the place and trying to keep track of everyone. So far no signs of major teen angst but I know it can rear its ugly head any time. :meh:

DH is lovely :grin:

After a cruddy 2016 for running, I feel like I'm getting myself back to where I was in 2015. Have been building a network of fun running friends too! We (Dh, trips and me) are heading up to VA next week for a few days for me to run my first 50 :shocker!: Should be a fun time in a really pretty place with super cool people. I was feeling really confident back in july when I did 47.5 but now I'm getting all nervous as this is not a loop course, though it should be an "easy" course. Still the mind can take in loops easier than 50 freaking actual miles, at least mine does. I'm trying not to think about it too much right now.

You're welcome for the extra emoticons.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Catch us up on you... Lurkers too!
1 2 3 Previous Next