Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Out of the blue TUESDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 7:49 AM
Wow, a Diaperman sighting in the daily yesterday, and the other day I saw Coleman in L&O who was once a regular poster in the marathon RW days. Out of blue, people just show up. Funny place this forum. Anyway, what are you up to today in terms of running, exercise, or slacking? Plus the usual stuff.

Bonus: Any good surprises in your life lately, or has it just been boring down to the grindstone type stuff?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-19 8:30 AM
Running: 6 miles this morning. I am breaking in new shoes so my feet and calves were cranky. My legs were still tired from the weekend too since I didn't get my run in last night due to a migraine. :mutmad::cry: They finally warmed up around mile 4. :roll:

Slacking: I delivered my huge work presentation yesterday so I feel like slacking at work. Time to catch up on all of the other stuff I was putting aside to finish that project. My colleague that was slacking on the project didn't even want to present any of it to the client, so I am happy to take all the credit for the work, especially since the client called it "liquid gold."  :laugh:

Blather: I am already checking the long-term forecast for Chicago. So far the weather looks great! :laugh:

Bonus: No real surprises lately, but life has definitely not been boring down to the grindstone type stuff, that's for sure! Lots of exciting little things happening with my running and the wedding coming up.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-19 10:35 AM
Liquid gold sounds great!!!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 11:47 AM
I doubt it was the new shoes making your feet cranky, likely all the fast miles this past weekend. Belated congrats on the fine running!
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-09-19 9:39 AM
No running today, just slacking.  Yesterday afternoon I developed a sinus headache, which is VERY unusual for me.  Went home from work and lay down for a couple of hours.  Felt better but still not good.  Since I had the sneezing and drainage I figured a cold was coming on.

I didn't sleep well, and used the impending sickness as an excuse not to get up early and work out.  But so far this morning has been pretty normal, so maybe I'm just a slacker.

Looks like we are in for another week of low 70s to low 90s with high humidity.  This is when summer starts to wear on me, after the middle of September.

BONUS:  Well, we saw another rat in the house a couple of weeks ago, so we've got that.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-19 10:36 AM
I'm starting to get hit with the fall allergies, so my sympathy for the sinus thing.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 11:49 AM
Hey, we all need some slacking now and then. It all of a sudden got warm/hot here again this past weekend. After about 2-3 weeks of no AC, I had to fire it back up.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-19 11:01 AM
Since I am trying to avoid making things worse, I am not running this week due to my calf-thing. I should absolutely not be going to Omaha this weekend to run a marathon. Yesterday, via email, Rob played enabler and now has me kinda excited to see if I can pull a marathon out of my ass based training made up of a weekly long run, a zillion hours of pool running and three boxing class per week.  The course is such that I can turn off about 7 miles and only do the half, so I am still making the trip.  I can always cover the distance of a half.

Yesterday, I went to boxing class after work and then did only 30 minutes of pool running.  The natatorium is closed this week, so I did my pool stuff in the neighborhood pool.  The only part which is deep enough for this exercise is only about 10 yards long.  It was CRAZY boring!  Tonight, I will bring my phone and play music while I'm in the pool.  I did early morning boxing class today which was a rather tough workout. 

Blather: I am about to head down to our Dallas office to screen a deal I have been working on since July. I suspect the deal will be killed and that MAY be the correct decision.  Another party involved in the deal has two guys who I have been communicating with quite frequently.  One is obviously rather junior and still developing his skills. (Nicely saying, he doesn't always know what he is talking about).  The other guy is much more experienced but still, is a tiny bit patronizing to me.  As we only speak on the phone, they don't realize I have been doing this longer than the two of them together (that I am old).  With the more experienced guy, I don't think it is a "chick thing", it is just your typical male trying to show me "how-big-his-dick-is-thing", which he would do to any man working the deal.  Ahhhhh.....the business world is so much fun!

Bonus: Yesterday, we were pleasantly surprised a second company has called blazerman for an interview! As had his second phone interview today with the first company he spoke with, he was less stressed knowing that if the first job doesn't work out, that there may be another one for him.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 11:50 AM
I am not going to try to talk you out of Omaha this weekend... heck, I am dumb enough to try to 100 miles with a meniscus tear. My running has not been to good since then however.

I votes for a slack day today. Really you can skip a day or two of pool running this week!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-19 2:21 PM
I bet that you've logged more miles than I have in the last few months.

I will be running Omaha on one 20 miler and one 16 mile run. You had a few decent weekend doubles.

My job on Sunday will be to get you past the 6.5 mile mark. :mischief:
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-19 9:49 PM
Rob, Rick, Chris...it's going to be a fun weekend!!:cool:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-19 12:06 PM
I hit the gym late this morning for core & shoulder exercises and a 1000 meter swim.

Yesterday afternoon I was hanging some new shades and while repositioning a bracket, I dropped a hammer on my big toe :cry:  Got a small cut and now it's several different colors :roll:  Fortunately, it did not bleed while I swam : pbbt:

Bonus:  No, just the same old stuff.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 12:21 PM
Ouch. I just missed crashing something onto my foot the other day. A frozen roast or something out the freezer. Phew.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 12:20 PM
Slacking: I will enjoy some deck time tonight with a cold beer and a book.

Non-workout: Hit the planet of fitness today for usual strength and stretching routine. No run today, but I really feel like it. I am being good. Will hold off until late week since my knee was just drained yesterday. I think I will take the dogs up to the local "trail" later for a walk, instead of the usual round the block.

Food: Taco Tuesday, XT style with home fried white corn tortilla shells (sort of an in between soft and crunchy).

Drink: Beer me later with an Alesmith IPA or two.

Blather: Comcast really socks it to you. Operation check bills discovered I had been paying $6 a month for these stupid digital converter boxes upstairs that get used very infrequently. So nixed a few of those by returning them today.

Bonus: Not really, boring here, but plan to check all my various funds/accounts today or tomorrow and maybe I will find some good surprises there.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-19 1:28 PM
6 miles this morning.

Food/Bonus: Neighbor brought us homemade meatballs and marinara sauce yesterday - totally unsolicited and out of the blue. Another friend is bringing us dinner every Wednesday for the month of September. I suspect this is a delayed reaction to a FB post I made back in June where I basically said "Single parenting sucks" (but far more eloquently worded). It is soooooooo appreciated.

Random: Most of my adult life I've been a very light drinker - usually 1-2 drinks, I can usually be the one to drive home, I can then get up with kids in the morning and/or run. But...at this stage of life...screw it. My kids don't wake up until about 10:00 on the weekends, and my days of PRs are long gone. I'm going to take a little more liberty and have a bit more fun with the booze...
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-20 6:10 AM
There's the irony of alcohol, we finally reach the stage where our kids are more independent, we don't worry that much about pace, but now we're at that age where alcohol hits so much harder than it used to.:laugh: One or two drinks is usually enough to put me under now.:laugh: :old:

Homemade meatballs and marinara? Nice friends!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-20 7:02 AM
Meal pandering on FB... well done!

Enjoy the booze, but don't get too lit.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-19 5:29 PM
Coleman?! Wow! I had a fun time drinking beer in the parking lot after RR Arizona '08 with Coleman and Polar Bear. Good memories! Glad he's back, or around anyway.

I had a decent speed workout this morning, 6.2 miles with 3 x 1 @ 10K pace. It went ok, but legs are still tired from RTB. Busy day with lots of dogs to walk, I got hoe late so just rice and beans for dinner. I'm really tired, can't even think of blather.

Bonus: I was surprised when Doughboy asked if I wanted to hop on FOTB at RTB when Ryan couldn't make it at the last minute. I guess all the faster kids turned them down.:laugh: So that was a nice break from the grindstone.:happy:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-20 7:04 AM
What the hell are you doing speedwork for after a weekend of tempo at RTB?   :wagging finger no no no no:

I remember the year I got called into action for FOTB late in the game. It was a great surprise, and so much fun. :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-20 8:30 AM
Speedwork 2 days after RTB? :shocker!:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-19 9:54 PM
Ohhh, THAT Out of the Blue. I thought you were referring to Debbie Gibson's debut album.: pbbt:

No run for me. I have been nursing a bum R hip for two weeks. I was stressed out about it and being able to run TB. Thankfully, it was sore but stable and I was able to run decently at RTB. By decent I mean, I was a minute faster than what I thought I was going to run to baby the hip, but still a minute slower than I have run previous years. At this point, I;m just happy to have been able to go. No running for me probably for the whole week. I hope to go to the gym tomorrow.

Bonus:I am surprised that my kitchen is still not completed.:meh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-20 7:01 AM
yeah, that is my genre!  :laugh:

I am happy to read that your ran well at RTB. :happy:

Contractors and kitchen remodels. It seems they reach the end of the project and go into stall mode. :cry:
- - By coleman Date 2017-09-19 10:04 AM
Just getting back into shape, 5 miler for me this morning.  This site always gave me that little extra motivation to get it done...

As for marathons, don't see that happening in my future, but the wife has her first scheduled for the end of October, perhaps she's got me motivated :wink:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-19 10:37 AM
Good luck to your wife!   The first is always so exciting as you just don't really realize what you are getting into.  So fun!!
Parent - By coleman Date 2017-09-19 1:38 PM
yeah, she is pretty excited, and a bit worried, having never run so far, she is getting annoyed with me giving her tips about hydration, food/fueling, and questioning what her expected pace is going to be, among other annoyances...She just wants to have fun.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 11:51 AM
Good luck getting back into shape, and to your wife and her first marathon. What race? Sounds like it will be sort of fun to crew/support her.
Parent - By coleman Date 2017-09-19 2:06 PM
It’s been a long road to get back to this point, spent about 4 months just power walking everyday, then a couple months of trying to run, only to get sidetracked with calf, achilles, PF and shin issues, thankfully over the past couple months I’ve been able to increase and actually go for 5/6 miler every few days with no observed issues.

Not able to go long like my wife, her longest to date was 19 last weekend, I think she has a 21 miler coming up.  The marathon is local to the area in Morgan Hill.
Supporting when I can, but I have learned that trying to convert her into a Phitz Phollower isn’t a good idea : pbbt:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-20 6:06 AM
Hi there! Good to see you here!:grin:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Out of the blue TUESDAILY