Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Monday Musings NRR
- - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 12:39 PM
Post!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 12:44 PM
Another random question from me. :laugh:

If you were to buy a toilet, what features would you want?  Round or elongated bowl?  Single or dual flush?  Other important considerations?  Let's say for the sake of argument that all the toilets are similarly priced and all flush well.  Or would you be overwhelmed by the choices and just pick the first one you see at the home improvements center? :laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:48 PM
I would first and foremost like the toilet to work. :laugh: Uh, I have never really contemplated the bowl configuration, but I do think the dual-flush option is nice.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 1:05 PM
The things you don't think about until you go to looking and realize there are too many damn options. :laugh:

I personally like the dual-flush option, but I wonder if a button would be more difficult than a lever for someone with dexterity problems.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 1:18 PM
They do make dual flush lever option. You can probably do an aftermarket replacement if you need it.  We have had problems with kids not knowing how to flush our toilet because the knob is confusing with the two buttons (the knob is where the lever usually is)
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:24 PM
Pushing the dual-flush button on top of the tank, I can attest, is definitely hard for someone with dexterity or pain issues. Someone with arthritic fingers, for example, might have trouble with it. The little split button model requires just enough individual finger strength that someone dealing with general weakness might struggle with it, too.

Looks like reebs has found the solution, though, with the split lever model. :cool:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-09-18 2:03 PM
Yes, my mother with arthritis hates the button option. I'm swiftly following her :cry:

You could get one like I've seen in Germany & Ukraine which have a little shelf so you can check your waste products for health issues :grin:: pbbt:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 2:18 PM
:shocker!::shocker!:  I have so many questions about this I don't know where to start!  My mom recently had to swallow a camera pill, but this was just the placebo one and she didn't see it leave, and they didn't see it in the Xray, so for a bit they didn't want to give her the real one in case it was somewhere else in the body.  But then they changed their minds.  But she was wishing she had checked her output for the pill to avoid all the extra drama about not knowing where it was.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-09-18 2:39 PM
So I read "extra drama" as "exit drama" :laugh: : pbbt:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-09-18 2:42 PM
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 6:45 PM
:shocker!::laugh::cry:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-09-18 3:27 PM
OMG! I was just going to comment on that. They have those in holland too. :laugh: do not get the shelf option. Who wants to examine it like that?:laugh::cry:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 6:14 PM
Do NOT get the shelf option. Just...no. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-18 8:26 PM
Agreed. You know you went. Why have it hanging around?
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:52 PM
We opted for all enlogated, as my DH is a big man. Other than that, as long as it flushes and is reasonable with water usage, I'm OK. I did not opt for dual flush, but the idea is sound. We have some spiffy toilet models where I work that you flush by waving you hand over the tank. It's a nice feature, but I'm not a germaphobe and I wouldn't pay a whole lot extra for it.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 12:55 PM
The waving your hand thing sounds nice until some kid discovers it and decides to flush the toilet 15x in a row because it's such a cool toy. :laugh:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:03 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 12:56 PM
I hate the auto flush ones, because so often they either flush while you are doing your business or don't flush when you are done!!
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:05 PM
I've had that issue when the sensor for the auto-flush is on the wall. I've never had the tank version prematurely flush on me yet.

We used to have a wall version at my old work location that was so bad that we all brought a post-it note into the restroom before we used the toilet. Putting the note up over the sensor fooled it into thinking someone was still sitting on the toilet.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 12:55 PM
We just went through this, so have opinions. In the end I bought the one that gets us a rebate from our water utility.

But I find ADA height too high for home use (and you can always put a tall seat on it if you care) and prefer round bowl because our bathroom is small. We have a dual flush downstairs, and it is fine, but to get low enough flush for the rebate and a round bowl we went with a single flush, that is less than the dual amounts larger flush. The one we bought was about $125 (and we will get $100 back!!) though you can get ones that are $1000, but that just seems like flushing money down the toilet. :wink:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 1:03 PM
I'm going for an ADA "chair height" toilet because the biggest problem with the current one is that it's low, which is difficult for people who have difficulty going from sitting to standing.  I looked and we don't seem to have any rebates in my county.  I guess we're just rural enough that no one cares about toilets wasting water. :roll:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 1:19 PM
Yes if getting up and down is an issue, then a low toilet is a problem.  Not to get too over sharing, but the high toilets can be hard to reach the ground on, and not great for the ergonomics needed for #2, and also can be hard for those who squat for #2 and don't sit.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-09-18 1:52 PM
this makes me laugh because in my post below I said don't get "comfort height" which is the slightly higher kind (maybe it is ADA compliant?) and it is because it is hard to reach the ground and also for #2! It is fine for M since he is tall but not me.  I do understand why it would be good for someone in a chair though
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:24 PM
Plus, low toilets suck so much after long runs and races anyway. :laugh:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:30 PM
This :cry:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 1:33 PM
The elderly homeowners who had our house before us put a grab bar next to the toilet, and one by the shower.  I've used the toilet one after hard workouts, and MCF used both ALL the time with his broken leg last year. Grab bars should be standard, even in residential settings. The are SO much easier to put in when building a bathroom than later.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 6:14 PM
Agreed. I have a mild love affair with universal design, which includes these things.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-19 9:51 AM
did you know I edited a book on Universal Design in curriculum design, not architecture.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-09-19 8:24 AM
Yes. This. Oh what I would've given for a rail over the last 6 weeks :cry: Particularly getting out of the shower/tub as standing on my almost-numb left leg is worrisome
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-09-19 8:47 AM
That's definitely a part of the plan for this bathroom design.  You can get some pretty cool integrated grab bars -- ones that are also toilet tissue holders, ones that are also towel racks, ones that are also corner shelves in the shower.  It goes a long way toward making a bathroom not look you've stepped into a nursing home while still being functional.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-09-19 10:18 AM
I should look into this - I get dizzy, light-headed, and wobbly frequently, especially going from sitting to standing, and things can get tricky. After the latest incident between my head and the tiles, a functional grab bar is sounding like a good idea. Do you have sources/manufacturers that you'd recommend?
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-09-19 1:31 PM
Delta and Moen are two manufacturers I've seen that make stylish options.  There may be others out there, but both of those have some products available at Home Depot and Lowes (with more options online if you are looking for a certain finish or style).

Delta: https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/accessories/grab-bars
Moen: http://www.moen.ca/bathroom/safety/grab-bars/_/N-6ct?paginator=true&viewAll=true&maxRecs=173&offset=0

I've seen some of them in-store but haven't installed or used any of them yet so I can't comment on that aspect of it.  BTW, the "list" prices on their websites are ridiculous and you will likely be able to find them sold from Home Depot/Lowes/Amazon for half the price.  Of course the most important thing with any grab/assist bar is to have it securely mounted.  That's easiest to do if you're starting from scratch and can put in solid blocking where needed, but that isn't an option for most people so a lot of grab bars do have anchors to allow them to be mounted in sheetrock. 

If you're just looking for ideas, Pinterest is a good place to look.  Try searching "accessible design bathroom" or "universal design bathroom" or similar keywords and see what comes up.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 1:32 PM
As someone who *just* became able to go from sitting to standing, I agree that this is important.  I had to use my hands to push off the seat to stand if I didn't have a handicapped rail or something else to use.  Luckily this was just in my personal bathroom at home; I used handicapped stalls elsewhere.  It seems to unsanitary to have to touch the seat all the time!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-09-19 1:36 PM
One product I'm looking at using is this toilet tissue holder.  It's not a full-on 36" grab bar, but it should be enough for someone who needs something to grab and use to pull/push up to standing.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-09-19 7:25 PM
That would work.  I used toilet tissue holder on one side, cabinet on the other.  Sometimes door handles.  Really anything solid and at the right height.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:29 PM
Depends on a number of things. I'd tend to go with a round bowl because our bathrooms are small (5x8) and the toilet is on the long wall, so the extra few inches the elongated bowl protrudes mean less room in an already narrow space in front of the toilet. If you put a hamper or a cat box against the opposite wall the space is really tight.

Dual flush is nice but only if it works. Ours at work have water saving flushes and it's no savings if you have to flush twice just to get rid of one seat cover and a little bit of paper if you just did #1. For #2 it's two, often 3 flushes.

As far as height goes, if you have older or limited mobility users then go for the taller one, so that they can stand, and think about putting handholds too. DH pulled the towel rail out of the wall several times using it as a handhold -- where the toilet is, between the vanity and the shower, there was no place to put in a handrail. If you have little kids using it I would advise a lower height. Especially if they are small boys. (We aim to please, so you aim too please.)

Other important consideration: it's much easier to keep a 1-piece toilet clean (no seam between tank and bowl) but I would guess if something breaks you will have to replace the whole thing rather than the broken part.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:45 PM
We opted for the one piece tank/bowl because it's easier to clean - fewer crevices for my darling boy children to hit.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-09-18 1:49 PM
Slow close lid

Do not get "comfort height" - it is not comfortable for short people!
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:54 PM
Slow close lids are nice! You can buy those at any home-improvement store and replace existing lids.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-09-18 1:56 PM
I'm so used to ours that I accidentally let them slam at other people's houses who don't have them because I forget I can't just let it go :blush:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-09-18 2:02 PM
Ditto :blush:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-09-18 2:40 PM
Me, too :laugh:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 1:57 PM
I would sit on it and make sure I liked the feel of the seat and the height.  I have no idea which height I want, but I know when it feels wrong!  Some seem to cut into my thighs, like the seat is too sharp.  :wtf:  It's hard to know how well it flushes when shopping.  So important!  Maybe there are reviews?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-20 11:53 AM
Stores should install demo models in the restrooms for customers to try out.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-09-20 6:35 PM
Come visit WI and stay at the Kohler Spa - the entire place has been built with the various fixtures!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-21 9:19 AM
Kohler Spa?

*runs off to Google*

which one?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-09-21 12:26 PM
<cough> the one in Kohler, WI, next to the Kohler factory... :wink:    I think the official name is "Kohler Waters Spa"
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-21 4:13 PM
Well, there WERE several that came up when I googled...
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-09-22 7:14 AM
fair enough.   :grin:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:46 PM
*waving to Swandive*

The neighbors' barn kittens? One of them has had an eye infection for nearly a month now and the neighbors haven't taken him to get it treated yet. This may sound weird, but we absolutely love those kittens. How sketchy would it be to quietly take the kitten in to get the eye taken care of? I am taking Nellie in for her second rabies vaccination tomorrow ANYWAY...

On the one hand: it's weird to take someone else' pet to the vet.
On the other: kitty's eye infection isn't getting better.

WWTFD? (What Would the Forum Do)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 12:57 PM
Have you talked to the neighbor about it?  Would they be open to you taking her in?  Eye infections will spread from cat to cat and they can cause blindness.  Will you end up adopting this cat if you take her in?  Do you want to adopt another cat?
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:18 PM
We've been working on getting to know them a little better, and we rescued one of the barn kittens from a coyote earlier this year, but they are a little wary of us. T-bone's previous wife (the literally crazy one) went crazy on them a couple years ago in some fit of anger over their dog (a really sweet yellow lab) and they obviously felt after that like they didn't want to interact with the crazy neighbors. I have been on better terms with them, but it is kind of slow going. I feel super weird about saying "hey...you're neglecting your cat; can I fix that?"

Of course, I also feel weird about cat-napping their cat and taking him to the vet.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 1:21 PM
Will you need to spay it as well? Or are they not that feral?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:28 PM
They have been neutered and had their vaccinations. The neighbors took them in as strays and gave them all the usual initial routine care. But the kittens are now just barn cats for them. They are expected, I think, to do their thing and survive mostly on their own now.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 12:58 PM
I'd probably take the cat (if you don't think you'll piss off the neighbors by doing so), but I definitely wouldn't expect them to pay the vet bill if you do that.  If you have a friendly, laid-back relationship with the neighbors I might tell them you are taking your cat to the vet tomorrow and offer to take the kitten along for the ride.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:19 PM
No, if we did this it would be a stealth op. We'd pay.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:31 PM
Then I would say go for it if you are going to the vet anyway and think this kitten should be looked at.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 1:42 PM
Yes.  The likelihood of them finding out seems low if they are barn cats.  And more so if they don't really realize the cat has an eye infection.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 4:46 PM
I'd say do it.  Is an eye infection something where the vet is likely to prescribe an eye ointment?  If so, be prepared for that and the possibility of being noticed. :wink:  If the neighbors do happen to notice, I wouldn't make a big deal about it.  You just happened to be going to the vet with your cat and decided to take the kitten along for the ride.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 12:48 PM
I start my Kinesiology class tonight. I'm pretty excited! Of course, I made the mistake I seem to make EVERY quarter on the first day, and scheduled an 8:00am doctors appt, so by the time I got to campus there was NO parking. It took me 20 min to find a space, and I ended up in the Student overflow lot-- there was no parking in the employee lots!  Oh well, the first day of a new term feels like the happiest day of the year!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:48 PM
Campus parking...:meh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:31 PM
It's not a parking permit. It's a license to hunt.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 2:13 PM
That sounds like a fun class! :grin: Sucks to have to work so hard to find a parking spot.  :meh:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-09-18 1:57 PM
I'm laughing to myself at how popular the toilet talk is :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-09-18 3:04 PM
It is something everyone has in common.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 4:43 PM
No one wants to start talking, but ask a random question and suddenly everyone has an opinion. :laugh:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 2:11 PM
I've been having some nice bike rides!  :grin:  Saturday, it was windy, so I went in to the park and just went hard in Zone 4 until I wore out.  That doesn't take very long.  : pbbt:  All week, I was wanting to do a certain route, which has a lot of hills.  Usually when I do it, it is 30 miles with a one mile climb.  I know I am not ready for that yet, so I decided to ride to the road that has the hill, and back on Sunday.  So 10 miles rolling uphill and 10 miles rolling down hill.  And so Sunday it was windy, and from the South, so a tough head wind.  I debated, but I had been really looking forward to leaving the two routes I have been doing all year.  I headed out and was in my granny gear for the first hill.  :shocker!:  I almost changed my mind then!  But I continued on, and man was the wind strong.  And then a thunderstorm was coming in and it was looking pretty dark and rainy where I was headed.  Then I was getting sandblasted.  I would have turned around at that point, but it was a divided road at that point.  I was not feeling it!!  Then I felt the first rain drop right when I got to an intersection, .8 miles from my destination.  So I turned around there.  And man, was the tailwind fun!  :grin:  I went 30-40 mph most of the way home!  I was working hard, and having fun and just flying!  I got home and Strava said I got 2nd-best woman on 2 sections and 2 4th-best woman.  The women ahead of me are amazing racers.  Love the wind-aided QOMs; makes you feel good even though you had all that wind power at your back!  :laugh:  Knees are sore, so I may have done a little too much!  I'll ease off this week.  Yesterday at the dog park, I also walked and then did hill repeats on this short steep hill of about 10 meters.  It's the downhill that I was working on, as well as trying to walk down stairs normally all the time now.  So, that may add to the soreness.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-09-18 6:15 PM
LOL! Love the tailwind!
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:42 PM
What great fun. Glad that you're able to ride and enjoy yourself again.:hug::hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-18 8:27 PM
Yay for good bike rides!

Wait. You rode to the hill on Saturday and back on Sunday? Didn't DH and the puppies notice you didn't come home Saturday night?
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-09-19 7:48 AM
:laugh:  No, Saturday, I rode in the state park.  Sunday I rode almost to the road where the hill is, and back.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-09-19 6:48 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:44 PM
Braggypants mama here-have to share that my DS just ran his first sub-7 trail mile during today's XC meet. Might be time for some spikes for the lad.:grin: He's been dropping crazy amounts of time each race from his PR-today was a full minute better (for a 2 mile race) than last week's race! So much fun to watch.:hug::hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 8:21 PM
:cool::cool::hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-18 8:28 PM
Congratulations to runnertypelet!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 8:42 PM
Wow!  Your DS is an awful lot faster than me. : pbbt:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-09-19 10:16 AM
:cool::cool:
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-09-18 6:03 PM
I hate work travel. It screws up my entire day before trying to get double work done then the day back catching up on work and I miss my workouts. It is an out and back day trip tomorrow but still, up at 430am home at 9pm. :mutmad:
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:41 PM
That is a long long day.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-09-18 8:23 PM
:shocker!::cry:  Oh, that sucks!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-09-18 8:28 PM
Ugh. That is a very long day.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-09-18 8:43 PM
That does suck, especially given that it makes the day before and the day after extra long as well. :cry:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Monday Musings NRR