Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Monday's Maxims
- - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-18 9:22 AM
A Maxim is a general truth, fundamental principle, or rule of conduct. A non-running related maxim is: "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Can you come up with any running or non-running maxims for us today?

Also tell us about your workout, food & beverage & weekend highlights since there wasn't a weekend daily.

Bonus: Did you watch any of the Emmy's last night? Thoughts / comments?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-18 10:15 AM
Putting "time in the bank" during the early miles of a marathon can come back to bite you in the ass!

My workout today was the usual teaching cycling class & doing core & shoulder exercises afterwards :meh:

I had SDOs on both Saturday & Sunday :meh::meh: 

Bonus:  I did not watch the Emmy's last night.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-18 11:56 AM
Caveat your maxim... unless you are running Steamtown... than you should be ahead of pace early in the race! :happy:

Sorry about all the :meh:'s.  :meh:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:19 PM
Um, not for me @ Steamtown :cry::cry::cry: 

I didn't save all my splits  in my Timex Ironman:roll:   There was just one chip mat for an intermediate split at 18 miles;
First 18 miles - 2:07:17 (7:04 pace)...got some time in the bank!
Last 8.2 miles - 1:12:16 (8:49 pace)

18 miles isn't exactly "early" but that pace did come back to bit me in the ass!  :cry::cry::cry:

Oh, my :meh: s were just :meh: s  nothing bad, just meh....
Parent - - By Diaperman [us] Date 2017-09-18 8:07 PM
Same here. Went out too fast at Steamtown and crashed and burned later in the race.  But that year (I think it was 2011?) the temps skyrocketed in the 80s by mid race.  Some weird weather fluke.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-19 6:58 AM
NICK!!! 
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 7:31 AM
I was curious so I looked at my splits...

2004 - 3:12, 7:14 pace for the first half, 7:28 for the second  (7:15 to mile 18, 7:33 for the final 8 to the finish)

2008 - 3:05, 6:50 pace for the first half, 7:18 for the second (6:55 to mile 18, 7:25 for the final 8 to the finish)

Looking at my splits the last 3 miles contain the uphills, but I remember my last run there temps got well above 70 at the end of the race too.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-18 4:54 PM
Yeah, gotta say, I went out like a bat out of hell at Steamtown '06 and ended up with a PW.:roll::blush:
Parent - - By PTRunner [us] Date 2017-09-19 4:21 AM
All this Steamtown talk :cry::cry: :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-19 4:49 AM
Steamtown was my virgin BQ.   I over-ran the first half, too, and got calf cramps.  The next year, I returned, ran smarter and improved my time.  I've run it at least three times, and always come away with a qualifier.  The organization, support and scenery are first-rate.  Be careful in the first mile because it will be crowded, and then if my memory serves me right, the fourth mile is a screamer, too.  Just run your own race and don't get sucked in by gravity.

If you see my co-worker Andy, slap him upside the head and tell him to slow down, too :grin:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-19 7:25 AM
Steamtown was PR city for me both times I ran it, so you will rock it!!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:21 PM
During the handful of years where I ran well, I was a firm believer that "time in the bank" always killed me and actually ran negative splits frequently.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:23 PM
I didn't really believe in "time in the bank" either (except for a 5K 'cause I was always going to fade in those). :laugh:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:38 PM
sorry about the :meh:s
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:20 PM
Not "bad" :meh: s, just meh...
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:28 PM
When is your next themed spinning class?   Back to school?  Musical selections featuring the name "Maria"?  Well, it looks like it's up to a Category 5, so I guess it can't be funny anymore.  :sad:  A survivor theme?    I'm reaching here.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-19 6:49 AM Edited 2017-09-19 6:54 AM
My next themed one would typically be for Halloween.  Unfortunately, Halloween falls in the 2nd week I'll be out :sad:  and doing it during the week of Oct. 16th just seems too early.  If my plan works, I'll be back the Monday before Thanksgiving so perhaps I'll redo last year's "Over the river & thru the woods..." ride.

A hurricane themed class...humm....
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-19 8:57 AM
I'm a Survivor - Destiny's Child
I Will Survive - Donna Summer
Rain is a Good Thing - Luke Bryan
Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers or Stevie Wonder (or both)
Wipeout - The Ventures

The Unicorn Song - The Irish Rovers (Who's ever heard that one??)
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-18 11:01 AM
Ok, sort of crude but a classic, and actually a wise piece of advice for younger men.... "Just remember son... a stiff dick has no conscience".  Meaning you need to think for it sometime I suppose. Something that is hard for young men to do. :groan: :chuckle:

Non-workout: No run today, just dog walking, PT exercises, and lawn mowing. I did run twice over the weekend, well one run, one sort of shuffle. 7 on Saturday at HayCreek Watershed and 6 yesterday at French Creek Park. Yesterday's run was a real shuffle. Warm and humid out there this weekend, but I enjoyed it enough for the last official weekend of summer. Tough day I suppose for those running PDR, or I guess what is called the rock n' roll half in Philly yesterday. I wasn't one of them.

Saturday we did some fall cleaning, windows and screens, and house in general. We had been slacking in that department. I also watched the Buckeyes, a bit of the NFL red zone, and did some night walks with the dogs as it was so mild and warm.

Blather: Last visit to the ortho doctor this morning. Told him my major complaint was quad swelling/pains and he said it was just fluid retention post-op (I had swelling before the procedure as well) and drained a quart of fluid from my knee. Well maybe not that much but you get my drift. Knee looks much better now. He said give it a few days rest, and see how things are going forward. I guess that means he is done with me for now.

Bonus: Nope, do not watch any award shows.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:09 PM
:shocker!::laugh: I have never heard that maxim before!

Glad to hear the ortho is done with you for the time being! :cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:22 PM
I hope you never see that ortho again!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:39 PM
glad that he is done with you!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-18 4:52 PM
:laugh::laugh: But that is wise. Philip and I tell Harry all the time to think with his head- the one on top of his neck.:roll:

I hope the fluid build up subsides!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:22 PM
A quart of fluid ??  :shocker!:  That's impressive, and not necessarily in a good way.  Apparently it was not a concern for the ortho?    I imagine your knee feels a whole lot better now!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:07 PM
"When you come back to work from 2 days + a weekend off, your Zen will be destroyed in the first 5 minutes." :roll: That's a maxim at my workplace apparently.

RR maxim: if you do work and put in the training, it will show in your racing (see below)

Workout: will be 3-4 easy miles after work today.
Food and beverage: apple craisin chicken salad sandwich from the cafeteria downstairs. It was surprisingly good! Green tea to drink.
Weekend highlights: RTB was awesome! :grin: I ran the best I have ever run there. My coach instructed me to run my first leg at tempo pace, my second (longest) leg at MP, and then start off my third leg slowly and work up to tempo pace and just hang on. I was runner 2 and my first run started around 11 am. I tried to start off slow but it's kinda hard when you have Victor barreling down a mountain at you. :shocker!::laugh: I was able to settle into a decent pace pretty quickly though. I ended up passing 3 people walking in the first half mile of the leg. :wtf: One was an ultra runner and I gave her a pass since she had just run up and down a ski slope, but the other two I was just confused by. It was hot, but it was literally the very beginning of the race! Anyhow, I got into a good pace and just clicked off the miles, grabbing 16 roadkill and being passed by no one. 4.32 relatively flat miles in 37:57 for an 8:48 average pace, right on target. My second leg was around 8:15pm. The course was rolling hills with a few bigger hills thrown in. I tried going marathon pace, but I felt really good, so I kept it comfortably hard the whole way. I struggled up one of the steeper hills, almost hyperventilating, so I backed off until I could breathe again. I didn't hammer the downhills too hard since I still had another leg to run, but I still knew I was way ahead of pace. That was evident when I got to the transition area, calling out for our next runner (Jason) and he wasn't ready to take off yet! He was at the very end of the line of runners waiting to run. His watch hadn't even connected to the satellite yet since he wasn't expecting me for at least another 5 minutes. :shocker!::laugh: 6.89 miles in 1:00:59 for 8:51 pace, which is my tempo pace. :cool: I passed 8 runners and got passed by 3, but I passed one of those back so I guess that makes it even? My third leg was around 8 the next morning. I actually felt really good aside from the sleep deprivation. I was supposed to ease into my pace but my first mile or so was downhill so I just ran what felt comfortable. I knew I had a mile long climb to finish out the leg, so I stayed steady on the uphills and hammered the downhills. I hit the final hill and knew I'd be giving some time back, but I also knew it was the end of my race so I did my best to power up the hill and then kicked it in on the relative flat to the transition area. I passed 15 and got passed by 3. 4.92 miles in 42:29 for 8:38 pace, my fastest of the race. :cool::cool: I am super pleased with my race. I only had 2 miles over 9 minutes (9:04 and 9:08) and the last long hill was at 9:21 pace, which is still my MP so I'm happy with that. I even had one sub-8 mile on a downhill in my third leg. This race has me extremely confident going into Chicago in 3 weeks. :cool: And of course the weekend was a great time with some amazing people. :hug::hug:

Bonus: I didn't realize the Emmy's were on last night until I looked at Facebook this morning. : pbbt: So no thoughts or comments from me.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:23 PM
Looks like y'all had a great weekend!!
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:30 PM
Really impressive running!  Great roadkill ratio.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:39 PM
great weekend! Congrats on the running, that is awesome.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-18 1:25 PM
Great runs at RtB!!!  :cool:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-18 2:35 PM
You killed it at RTB!! Definitely a good sign that your training is paying dividends.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-18 4:50 PM
You ran your arse off!:cool: But I can't say I'm at all surprised with all the work you've put into your training this year.:hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:18 PM
Sounds like you had better things to be thinking about than Emmy's last night.  You got in some good training and made some fun memories.  WTG !!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:36 PM
you get out of it what you put into it (life and running and pretty much everything)

workout was 6 miles. Yesterday was about 10 miles, a little more. 4 on the TM and then 6.7 pushing N in the stroller. Pushing her kicks my ass at this point. She is just heavy and I don't do it that much, but she still likes it, and we go get donuts after.

I was sad not being in New Hampshire this weekend, but I had a great experience Saturday night; a friend of mine had an extra ticket to the DSO Season Gala and invited me. Holy shit. First, it would have been amazing just for the people watching and fancy attire etc, it is truly a big money fancy night out and it was great. But the best part was that the special guest performer was Yo-Yo Ma. He surpassed every expectation that I have, I feel so lucky that I got to see him play live.

Bonus No. I love award shows and was going to watch it but after putting N to bed saw that Spicer was on it and it pissed me off. He isn't a joke.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:51 PM
How awesome to Yo-Yo Ma!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-18 2:19 PM
Yo-Yo Ma! :cool::cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-18 4:44 PM
Wow, a performance by Yo-Yo Ma must have been so amazing!

Pushing a 5 year old in a stroller, that's hardcore.:shocker!:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:15 PM
Yo-yo Ma :hug:  What a treat for you!

I agree with you about Spicer.  :wtf::mutmad:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-19 6:29 AM
he was absolutely amazing to see. I feel so lucky
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-18 12:50 PM
To Run Faster, You Must Run Faster.......I am amazed by the time goals some people set for their races, but don't train for it.  That said, there were plenty of races where I trained well and didn't hit a time goal, but I was never going to hit a goal if I didn't properly prepare.

After six days off of running and only doing a ton of pool running and 3 boxing classes, only the first 10 miles of  Saturday's 14 miler were without pain in my calf.  As such, it was back to the pool on Sunday where I spent 1:45 extremely bored going back & forth & back & forth.:roll:.  Starting today, our natatorium will be closed for week for the annual deep, cleaning, so I will attempt to do my pool running at the neighborhood pool after boxing class tonight.  If it is not too awful, I will do the pool stuff there this week. 

We had a fun time at the Zac Brown concert on Friday with the boy and his friends.  They rarely hang out at our house, so it was interesting to listen to them interact on our hour car ride to the concert.  They may think they big, important HS seniors, but they still talk an awful lot about dogs and silly TV shows.:hug:

Blather:  We got the boy's third and final SAT score this morning and he raised it 40 points.  He MAY be on the cusp of getting into Texas, his first choice. MAY.  He will now have high hopes until February when he will probably be let down. :meh:  The score actually qualified him for an additional $1000 of scholarship he already earned at his second choice, so I am giddy.  I know he will attend to college and could care less where he goes. 

Bonus:  No.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-18 2:22 PM
Hope the calf starts behaving soon!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-18 4:40 PM
Go Blazerboy! Fingers and toes crossed for him.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:14 PM
Blazerboy :hug:

Pool running -- :sad:  I applaud your motivation.  That is so tedious.  Hope the calf come around very soon!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-19 6:29 AM
Hope things work out for Blazerboy!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-18 1:19 PM
don't sweat the small stuff. and mostly, it's all small stuff. it's so easy to get caught up in craziness that it's good to step back and consider what really matters. i say this as people have been running around like chickens with their heads cut off at work. :roll:

it was a really nice, relaxed weekend and i got a lot of stuff done including running. 10 on saturday, 7 on sunday and all very hilly routes. ragnar hawaii is about 6 weeks away now and i'm feeling rather nervous about it now. :shocker!: I'm listed currently as the fastest runner on the team (10k pace = 8:30) :shocker!::laugh: and will probably get the most miles which is fine. But they did just makes some changes with the course so now that would put me as runner 5 with 11.8, 4.1, & 9.7 miles. that first one is uphill and it'll be hot (as in 80s, windy). yikes! almost marathon distance total so i guess I better train! :laugh:and hope i can run fast-ish.  :cry:

weather finally turned this weekend so that guarantees i won't be ready for 80 degree running weather. :roll: It finally rained yesterday and our heater kicked on this morning. I am happy with the change of seasons though as i'm tired of watering the yard. 5 miles this morning. not raining but it was breezy and cool. 

bonus: nope.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-18 2:24 PM
That's a lot of miles for a relay! :shocker!:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:10 PM
You casually mention you've got a trip to hawaii in 6 weeks?  :laugh:   Once you get through the first leg (:shocker!::wtf:) it looks like it will be a lot of fun!!

Yeah, our weather is getting cooler, too.  Only over 100 one or two days this week :roll:: pbbt:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-19 6:30 AM
wow, that is a lot of miles. At least the scenery will be good!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-18 2:34 PM
My maxim for today isn't running related: Feed a cold, starve a fever. (Although, in researching that, most Dr's advise their patients to feed both these days)

I picked up a cold over the weekend so slept crappy Saturday night but was better on Sunday once I started in on some meds. I probably should have skipped this morning's run to get some more sleep but one guy was heading out of town and he would have been solo and I know he would have bailed and lost out on the run. I was surprised that my breathing was as good as it was and we managed a pretty decent pace for the 10 miles. We had a decent 16 mile run Saturday morning - it was cooler but with almost 100% humidity.

Bonus: We watched a lot of it before I bailed to get some sleep. We are almost finished with The Handmaid's Tale, so it was good to see them win so many things.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 6:59 PM
Sometimes running helps clear up a cold, but sometimes not :meh: Hope you get the cold beat soon! 

You're a mensch for helping your running buddy get in his miles.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-18 4:38 PM
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. Or at least one out of the three. If I don't get up early, chances are my run won't get done. If I don't get to bed early, I don't get up early. And if I don't run, I don't feel healthy. As for the wealthy and wise part, I'll let you know when that happens.:wink:

6 humid, easy miles this morning. After two days of eating m&ms, pop tarts, and Honey Stinger Waffles at RTB, I was so happy to have my green smoothie (extra kale!) this morning. I made a cauliflower crust pizza for Isabella and myself tonight. Blather is a quick RTB report: Fun time with the Fellowship of the Bubblewrap gang this weekend. The chemistry of the team was really good, and everyone was very happy with their legs. I ran a lot faster than I thought I could.:happy: Beastie Girl ran like a beast! All her training really showed, and I can't wait to hear about her marathon at Chicago!:cool: I only had one snafu when Eric, aka SANDBAGGER, came flying into my first transition just as I was walking toward it, which resulted in me racing right next to Eric to get to the orange cones so I could get the baton. In the panic I put my headlamp on upside down:laugh:, couldn't get it turned on right, and ended up walking so I could get it on. Of course, just when I started walking, the team van drives by.:roll::blush::laugh: But my other two legs were great, and my hard middle leg (snicker) was the best. An added bonus of being part of FOTB: I scored one of Chris's brownies!:hug:

Bonus: Hell no, and I likely will never watch the Emmys again:meh:.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 7:00 PM
Extra kale ??  :shocker!::laugh: 

It looked like you guys were having so much fun at RTB :hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-19 6:31 AM
only one brownie? :laugh::evil:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-19 7:27 AM
Chris was channeling Mrs. Putin this year. : pbbt: He literally gave each van 6 brownies. :meh: But he cut them in half so it was like each of us got 2. :roll:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-09-18 6:53 PM
Not running-related, but one of my favorites is "Don't wrestle with a pig.  You get yourself dirty, and the pig enjoys it."  I use it to keep out of arguments.

Today's workout was my SDO, and boy did I love it!!  The weekend had some excellent running, but it was exhausting because we were pet sitting for our son and DIL's puppy -- a cute little golden retriever who is maybe 5 months old.  She's a good pup, but full of energy and a handful, especially when she decides to stir things up with DIL's old cat who is not amused by young, energetic puppies :roll:

Running-wise I got in a 16-miler that focused on running faster than last week's LR and making the most of the opportunity to run some hills.  We also saw some interesting wildlife  -- two coyotes, two very large wild boars, a scorpion, a little green grass snake that was just plain cute, then a king snake that I thought at first was just a stick :shocker!:  It was so nice to run somewhere different.   DH got a nice trail bike from my sister, and it has made riding much more fun for him :hug:      

DS and DIL had a great trail race experience at one of my favorite state parks, Davis Mountains.  That was great, but it was DIL's first time camping, and there was a frightful storm the night before the race, so they were operating on very little sleep, post-race fatigue and a very long drive home on Sunday.  The race was successful as no one fell or got hurt.  The kids ran the entire race together (25K), which had seemed a bit worrisome for us.  It's always a nice idea to say you'll run together, but sometimes it's just not possible.  Fortunately they and another couple ran it all together and actually benefited from being in a pack.   Although DH and I didn't want to  spend the night,  DS didn't want  us to leave without hearing about the race, so we fixed a light supper for them, visited a little, then got on the road in the early evening and back to our house after 11 pm.  For us, that is a butt-ugly late night, and sleeping in this morning was blissful. 

Since we were driving all Sunday night, we didn't see the Emmy's.  Even if we'd been in front of a TV, we wouldn't have watched.  I was pleased to see that "Handmaid's Tale" won awards.  I didn't see the series, but Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite authors, and the book is one of my top ten favorites.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Monday's Maxims