Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Relaying the FRIDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-15 7:54 AM
Good luck beach reachers! Besides RTB or HTC have you done any other relays and how were those experiences? Plus the usual stuff.

Bonus: Most number of hours you have stayed up without sleep in the past decade, for a race, work, whatever? As they say in the ultra world.... and miles to go before I sleep.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-09-15 9:56 AM
I have never done either RtB or HTC, but I have done the Great Lakes Relay 12 or 13 times.  Unlike RtB and HTC, the GLR has set distances for each of three days (about 100 miles each day), so the team gets to "rest" each night.  And by rest, I mean drink copious amounts of alcohol, go to bed when the bars close at 2:00 am and then be at the starting line by 6:00 am the next morning.  Unlike RtB and HTC, about 90% of GLR is run on unmarked trails across the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan. Each day, there were 18-20 legs and each team could have 10 runners.  Because it required taking days off of work, inevitably, we would run with 8-9 runners each year.  Even if I ran the same legs every year, there was still a great risk of getting lost as no one was familiar with the trails.  I captained our team for 10 years which is the greatest statement to my leadership skills (besides captaining my family) and I should probably note this on my resume! I went back to run the GLR my first two summers in Texas, but it became too much if I wanted to do other things.

I have spent the entire week only pool running and going to boxing class as my weird injury moved from the abductor to my calf.  While I know 90 minutes in the pool every day isn't the same as 90 minutes on the road, it is better than nothing.  My calf feels about 90% today, so I will see how my long run feels tomorrow.  Since I am racing next weekend....and by racing, I mean, I am paying for the privilege of running 26.2 miles while toddling the distance.....I will probably do 15-16 tomorrow.

Blather: We are taking the boy and his two buddies to see Zac Brown tonight. This is the only band I pay to see in concert anymore and they never disappoint.  This is BY FAR, BY FAR, the boy's favorite band and it is super fun to attend with him.

Bonus:  For a race, probably 27-28 hours at the El Scorcho where nooner and Nagesh ran their 50K.  (Unlike when Rob and Spin ran it and we napped while they finished their loops and in Rob's case, extra loop!)  For Life, I was awake about 36 hours the day my dad died in 2011.  I was just about to fall asleep when I got the call he died, then could not sleep. I spent most of the night on the phone with my brother and spent the next day taking care of things one needs to take care of in those circumstances.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-15 10:56 AM
That's an interesting relay... the faster you run, the more time you get for beer and sleep!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-15 12:05 PM
That's a cool relay format.

I'm looking forward to toddling with you next week.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-15 10:54 AM Edited 2017-09-15 10:57 AM
I ran a relay version of the Philadelphia marathon one year with Eric, Doughboy, and IronJen. It was sort of classic seeing Doughboy arrive in my transition area sporting a murse. I can't recall why that happened exactly. My leg I ended up stranded in Manayunk but eventually a few other relay runners and I hailed a cab. Glad I packed a $20 in my shorts that day. A good lesson for a road race. While the team aspect was fun, the running was sort of weird. It just seemed wrong and odd blasting by marathon runners who were in miles 14-20 while I had fresh legs.

I also ran the relay version of the Laurel Highlands Ultra in 2012. A lot of waiting around there, as sections were anywhere from 2-3.5 hours. It was fun though as we had 2 teams and based on where our team was at in the field only went back/forth with the front runners a few times.

Non-workout: A mix of summer and fall last evening on the blue trail at Green Lane with the Lady. A bit of color, some leaves on the trail, smells of fall, but warm and humid. It was all very nice, but the running itself was still pretty bad. Maybe it's all I've got now? Oh well... 5 miles is better than nothing! Just weights and such at the gym so far today unless I am bad and do a few miles tonight.

Blather: Caught the last few inning of the Indian's game last night. 22 in a row! They tied it up with 2 out in the ninth and clinched in the bottom of the 10th. Exciting stuff!

Bonus: I am not much of a night owl these days. Superior trail back in 2013 was about 36 hours... 32+ for the race, plus wake-up time before and wind down after.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-09-17 7:30 PM
You didn't mention you ran RTB with both the Bubble wrappers and the WIMPs!!:cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-15 11:12 AM
Besides RtB I once ran the Jersey Shore Marathon Relay.  Seaside Heights to Asbury Park, NJ.  We had a 5-person team from our running club.  I had the 6 mile leadoff was in the mid 40s with a light rain which seemed to be falling sideways, likely because the entire leg was on the boardwalk or within one block of the beach.  When our last runner took the baton for the 4 mile Belmar to Asbury Park leg, it was 60 degrees and sunny :wtf:  We ran 3:50ish and at the time it was slower than my marathon PW :sad:  There was a 20K Grand Prix race the next day (Sunday) and my original plan to just "jog" thru it didn't last so I wound up racing :roll:

My workout today was doing core & shoulder exercises and them swimming 1000 meters.  First time back in the pool in just over 2 weeks thanks to dermatologist work involving stitches (which are now out).

Bonus:  Probably during one of the time at RtB.  Our last or next to last (2008 or 2009) year I really couldn't sleep, so close to 39 hours.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-15 12:02 PM
I've reached both coasts having done both RTB and HTC. I've also done 2 local 200 mile relays. The Blue Ridge Relay was my first and a buddy and I joined up with a random team that was looking for a couple of runners. We had a blast and came back the next year and ran the same race with a bunch of the trail runners. That was early on for that relay as they only had 70 teams that second year. They are up to almost 200 teams now. We also ran one relay that starts where we live and goes to the coast near Charleston. Our van was pretty good but the other van kind of imploded as they got to the end and two of the runners asked to be dropped off at a bar along the way. We never saw them again.

6 miles on the trails this morning. The trails had been closed since the beginning of the week due to downed trees from Irma. There was a lot of debris on the trail but nothing too bad until we got near the end of the loop. There was a tree broken off in the middle that hadn't come down so they taped off that section of trail and a full tree was down right before we got to the parking lot.

The Greek Festival is going on down the street so I grabbed some lunch there and picked up some baklava for our dessert tonight.

Bonus: I really didn't get any sleep at HTC. I was driving as we went to our sleeping transition and I never really settled down after that. I was really tired that evening as we drove back to Portland.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-09-15 12:30 PM
High school: 4 x 1 mile on the track (the event usually only takes place once per season at the county relays) is exciting for the distance runners and a snooze-fest for the sprinters and field event people. I set my PR of 5:06 doing Leg #2 of that relay.

College: With the crew team, we would do "boat races" at postrace parties - line up two sets of 8 rowers + a coxswain across from each other. First rower chugs his beer. Once he puts his empty upside-down cup on his head, next person goes, and so on. Coxswains go last. Side note: The 110 lb coxswains would end up wasted as they couldn't possibly put away as much booze as some 200 lb rowers.

Post-college: I did a 5-person/23 mile relay with The Beast and 3 other coworkers. Beast is Canadian-born, and the rest of our team consisted of a Brit, a South African/Australian, a Puerto Rican, and me. And we all worked for a pharmaceutical company at the time. We won the award for most creative team name: International Drug Runners.

And there used to be a 72-mile relay around Lake Winnepesaukee in NH. I did that once.

3 easy miles through the woods

I don't think I've been up more than 22 straight hours in the past 10 years. My 22 hour experience was about a year ago when I had to bring some work home, but also had a date. I went out on the date, got home around 1:00 a.m., then stayed up until about 3:00 am getting the work done. The sleep deprivation was worth it. I'm still with the same woman.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-15 4:26 PM
I still consider it an honor to have run RTB for two years. :grin::cool: I've run a one day relay in this area a few times and then ragnar northwest passage 8 times. I have run one trail relay which i enjoyed very much and would like to do again. in 6 weeks, i'll be running a road relay in hawaii. :grin: Relays are my favorite events by far.

good run this morning. 6 miles with 3 at tempo. each tempo mile was slightly faster than the last. running has felt much better this week. I'm still feeling the back a bit but it has mostly settled down.
Last day of busy season food at work so i have not had a donut, pizza, chinese food nor sandwiches. but i did have a piece of leftover fried chicken. :roll:

bonus: last ragnar in july, i calculated i was awake for 31 hours. I can never sleep at relays so don't fuss about it at all now. I lay down and relax and IF i happen to dose off for 20 minutes or so, i consider that a win. we've also had some long travel days. I forget how long this was total, but i'd gotten up early to get in a long run (still remember - 17 miles) then got to the airport. Then our flight was cancelled. we rescheduled for 8 hours later but it wasn't worth going home and coming back to the airport so just hung out at the airport. Then on the flight where i really cannot sleep on airplanes and then a train ride once we'd gotten off in London. I know I dosed on the train ride a bit. By the time we got to our B&B, I was having some aura type vision impediments :shocker!: and had deep circles under my eyes. or maybe that was just the bad lighting in the b&b bathroom? :laugh:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Relaying the FRIDAILY

Powered by mwForum © 1999-2015 Markus Wichitill