Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Incommunicado MONDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-11 11:36 AM Edited 2017-09-11 11:51 AM
I will get the discussion rolling today, before it's too late. Haven't heard from the folks yet today, but sister has and they are fine, without power, and incommunicado because they do not leave cell phone on for an extended amount of time. Somehow she hit the right window on her call.

Anyways, post your communication breakdowns, run/workout, and other stuff.

Bonus: A song of course, from the where are they now files....
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-11 11:56 AM
Glad to hear your folks are ok XT!  One of my HS classmates who comes back to NJ for the mini reunion every summer is in Naples and a couple other guys have properties in a similar area but (from way too many) emails that have been exchanged they seem to have made out ok also.

One year I drove to a "Memorial Day" race...on Memorial Day...only to find out it was held on Saturday, two days before Memorial Day :wtf:  I guess I should have looked at the date on the flyer :roll:

Workout was teaching cycling class, then core & shoulder exercises.

The stitches my dermatologist put in on Aug. 30 come out the day after tomorrow.  I.can't.wait!!! : pbbt:

Bonus:  Huh?  What?
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 12:26 PM
glad to hear everyone was OK.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 1:39 PM
two weeks for stitches? that seems like a long time or they went very deep!  :shocker!:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-11 3:16 PM
I'd post a selfie of them...not!  :laugh:

Deep enough to get all the squamous cells!  Annoying spot between bottom two ribs : pbbt:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-11 4:01 PM
Yeah, that's a long time to have itchy stitches!:meh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-11 12:00 PM
Well, did finally reach the folks after this post. They were eating ice cream from the freezer before it melted. No ETA on length of power outages in their area but last bad storm many years ago it was only a few days. They have gas for their cars assuming roads are safe and clear but should be good for now. I guess we expect instant communications now but the old folks our on their own schedule. Heck, I count myself in that category since I am not a texter.

Non-workout: I wogged 7 miles yesterday with the Lady at French Creek. Slow run. Very slow, but I will call it 100k race pace to make it seem faster. Plan is for 5 miles or so this evening. I want to see how I react to back to back day running. Felt pretty good after yesterday's run, able to spend a few hours working out in yard post run.

Bonus: Those be some fancy lyrics!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-11 12:04 PM
Glad to hear your folks are ok! :hug: Sounds like they have their priorities in order. :laugh:

100k race pace, very nice! : pbbt:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 12:25 PM
I'm so glad you got to speak to your parents and that they have priorities right and are not letting good ice cream go to waste.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 1:38 PM
their emergency plan seems very sound to me. eat all the ice cream. :grin:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-11 4:02 PM
Yes, that is the best plan I've heard so far!:grin:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-11 12:02 PM
Totally read the title as commando Mondaily...that would be more appropriate in my neck of the woods! :shocker!::laugh: Fiance ran a local half marathon yesterday, and apparently there was a guy standing on a corner along the course openly masturbating! :shocker!::shocker!::shocker!: Fiance saw the guy but at that point he just looked like someone who had wandered outside in his PJs, but a little while later the guy full on dropped his pants and went to town. Some runners told a course official and the guy was picked up by police and taken to the local hospital for mental evaluation. SO glad I didn't see that! :laugh:

My family has communications breakdowns all the time. Like when my parents don't let us know that my mom had been in the hospital for several days because she had had a heart attack, and then when they told us, it was via text message. :roll: Everything that comes from them lately is via text message and often several days after something important has happened. :wtf::roll:

Run: maybe 3-5 miles, maybe a rest day. I had an abdominal ultrasound before work (GI doc wants to see if my gallstone has grown at all in the past 2 years), so no run for me this morning. I had a great 20-miler on Saturday: 2 easy, 6 MP, 2 easy, repeat. The MP miles were between 9:06 and 9:26, and I felt strong the entire way. I ran into my coach on the path and he ran with me for a bit, and he's really confident in my training. :cool: Rest day yesterday, I just spectated fiancee's half marathon with his kids. Fiancee PRed with a 1:39:54! :cool:

Other stuff: 3-day workweek for me. Lots of wedding stuff to do this week (first dress fitting tomorrow), and then heading up to NH for RTB on Thursday! I am having trouble focusing on work because I'm so excited about the other stuff, ha! : pbbt: I will definitely be incommunicado for all things work related while in NH.

Bonus: I have never heard that song. :wtf:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 12:24 PM
I have seen dudes doing that. Assholes.

Great job for the fiancee! That is an awesome time.

oh so jealous, you are going to have a great weekend!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-11 12:28 PM
Yikes, that was one excited spectator. :roll: :cry: :shocker!:

Have fun this weekend!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 1:36 PM
wedding dress!  squee!  :laugh::grin::cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-09-11 3:17 PM
I saw a Facebook report (not from you or JP) about the idiot guy.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-11 4:08 PM
I am convinced the RD hired that guy to get faster times on his course. I know I'd run faster if I saw that!:shocker!::roll: And your fiancé did PR!:laugh:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 12:24 PM Edited 2017-09-11 12:47 PM
I hope you get to speak to your parents, glad that they are safe and OK.

workout was 5.8 miles.
Tonight I fly to CA for a one day meeting tomorrow.

communication breakdown-this is N related. She takes a bus to school, and I know this is no big deal, but she just looks so little and goes across town. So I got her a watch that is a GPS and emergency phone that is meant for little kids. It is pretty cool, I can see where she is on an app, and she can call me or R and receive calls only from people who I have pre approved and program into the phone, limited to 10 people. Anyway, I set it up this weekend and she LOVES it. She has called me and R dozens of times. It is really funny she will call and say "It's me! N" when we are right next to her. Anyway I hope the novelty wears off.

other people on FB saw this, but on Saturday I made the really tough decision to put down my cat Mango. She has been sick for almost 2 years and I have managed it well but it got to the point where she was really not doing well and hiding more. But I miss her so much. She really only liked me, and loved coming out and sitting on my lap while I worked during the day. It is so hard to be home alone working and not have her nearby. And I know that she was a cat, and there are people dealing with many more difficult, tragic things every day-I'm not lacking perspective-i'm just sad.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-09-11 12:30 PM
I am sorry about Mango. It's a big thing to lose a treasure pet.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-11 1:12 PM
Mango :hug::hug::hug: She wasn't just a cat, she was your friend for 17 years. :hug:

Love N's enthusiasm with her new technology! :laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 1:56 PM
N has no chill about anything, so it isn't surprising that she is super excited about her new technology.

I really miss my cat today :sad:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 1:36 PM
it's just a matter of time until it's a phone phone!

so sorry about mango. :hug: i still miss Dexter whenever i see an old photo of him.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 1:58 PM
I knows will have a real phone before too long. This is really for me more than her-I want to be able to see where she is and know she can call me if anything happens.

Mango was my buddy. Today is harder than yesterday-I was out of the house yesterday, but being home without her is hard.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-11 4:12 PM
So sorry about Mango.:sad: Even when it's the right thing to do, it's still so hard to do.

Funny about N! We got one of those phones for Harry when he started walking the half mile to 3rd grade, except it had only 4 spots to program numbers. He called us every day for weeks.:roll: Then he got bored and wanted a real phone.:laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 1:34 PM
the hurricanes have reminded us that we need to rethink our emergency communication plan. we did have an out of state contact (DH's mom) that we'd both message/call if there were any issues communicating here. I guess we need to find another out of state person now that she lives here. it can be hard to contact someone in the same region as phones are out but you can often contact someone out of state.

crappy weekend of running but this morning's run was not bad. 7.5 miles and the hint of fall crispness is back in the air. :hug: Running has been very hit or miss lately and this weekend was definitely a miss. the chiro care i started last week has my back, shoulder, knee etc feeling all twingy which isn't too unexpected with trying to work on some mobility issues. And then i fell on sunday. :roll::mutmad: I wasn't going fast at all : pbbt: and landed on dirt so only have a pretty good scrape to show for it but everything does feel a bit sore. The scrape had dirt all embedded so i had to scrub that out. not fun! I am looking forward to the next chiro appointment tomorrow. maybe she can put everything back. :roll:

DH's mom now uses her iphone to message Dh about 100 thousand times a day. And if you message her, she can't NOT respond even if it is to say ok, or thank you. and if you don't respond within seconds, she freaks and sends multiple more texts and starts texting me. this has been an issue in other things. she'd get emails from some docs re father in law and have to respond right then even though it was midnight and she was exhausted. then the doc would respond back and she'd have to respond again. Dh has had to remind her that communication has be on her terms and it is oK to wait. this is when communication is causing a breakdown!

on the other hand, i now know if my mom doesn't play her words with friends turns, i should check in with her. Last year, she stopped playing for a bit and i thought she was just busy and it turned out she was starting to suffer from a very bad flu.

bonus: voices carry.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 2:00 PM
that is interesting about using words w friends to assess your mom's well being.

Your MIL, that is tough. Over communication with constant technology is so difficult

Sorry abut the tough running this weekend. :sad:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-11 4:15 PM
That's why Philip and I discussed getting his mother a smart phone, and decided against it. No regrets there!:laugh: MIL has some anxiety issues, and I'm sure email/text capabilities would exacerbate them.:sad:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 4:20 PM
she already emailed and in some ways texting is better. it's shorter!  :laugh::roll:

and yes, Dh's mom has pretty severe anxiety issues. i don't think it exacerbates them as they are already there but Dh has had to put in some pretty clear limits.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-09-11 1:48 PM
Woke up at 5:30 to get ready to meet the guys at 6:30 and the rain from Irma was coming down pretty good, so I texted to let them know I was out & everyone else bagged it too. It really wasn't raining too badly at 7 when I woke up and walked the dog so I felt a little bad about wimping out, but it picked up a good bit by the time I was driving into work. It's supposed to be clear of us by tomorrow morning so we are going to try again. I did 5 miles on the TM at noon in the fitness center. This room always floods when there are heavy rains so they installed some sort of sump pump last week and several building maintenance folks stopped by to check on things while I was running.

The cooler weather over the weekend helped make Saturday's 20 miler go very well. I was worried because the furthest I had run all summer before that was a 16 mile run this past Monday and that hadn't gone all too well. I will be able to fake my way through Heartland in 2 weeks and add Nebraska to the list.

Bonus: Communication breakdown all around
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-09-11 2:01 PM
i'm glad to hear you aren't getting hit too hard there.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-11 4:17 PM
Sump pumps in the workout room!:cool: I'm glad to see your workplace knows its priorities!:laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 4:21 PM
after the flooding you had earlier this year (was it this year?), i hope Irma passes on by quickly.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-09-11 3:19 PM
My cousins in Miami, which missed the worst of Irma, are in their house with no power and lots of flooding. They have their dog and a sister's dog with them, the dogs were very nervous during the storm.:sad: The sister is on a cruise ship off of Mexico with her husband, they can't return to port in Miami until at least tomorrow. But no injuries, just minor property damage.

Rest day today after racing the Racefaster Half Marathon, a new race in Paramus, NJ, yesterday. I was so happy to come in at under two hours again, 1:58:15, haven't been there in a while. It's 4+ minutes faster than the one I ran in April, which was one or two weeks after my back-to-back marathons in PA. I guess I need a lot more recovery time than I like to admit.:roll: And the speedwork definitely is working, another few months and I might get back to where I was in '10, about 5 minutes faster.  I also placed first in my AG at the half yesterday, and there was actually more than one person in my age group.:laugh: I remember passing the woman who placed third, but not the one who placed second. I so rarely place, and never win my AG that I never pay attention.:laugh:  Anyway, it was a very nice race- great course, well marked, flat, lots of water stations, and the weather was perfect! The staging area was in a mall parking lot, and reps from stores in the mall were handing out stuff. I received a card for a free pair of shorts from Lululemon.:cool: Food: Philip made chicken soup and dumplings for dinner, but I'm not eating the dumplings. I think the low carb eating from Monday-Thursday last week (I'm supporting a friend who's doing the Whole 30 to stop drinking- long story), then carb loading for the half on Friday and Saturday, had the effect of the carb depletion thing some runners do before a race. I felt great during the race and had a very steady pace.:happy: I think I'll keep this up!

Bonus: Uh...
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-09-11 4:22 PM
congrats! and nice job scoring free shorts! 

i can barely watch anything about pets in hurricanes. :cry:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-09-12 7:21 AM
I should have come to that race just for free Lululemon shorts!

Congrats on the AG win! :cool:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Incommunicado MONDAILY