Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / May as well acknowledge that it is Sunday - 8/13 daily
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-08-13 11:28 AM
It's pretty late in the day to start a thread, but I will anyway.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-08-13 11:32 AM
I ran 1.3 this morning just so I wouldn't have a zero for the week in my log.

Then church, grocery store, lunch with Cindy, and some work.  I plugged in my computer and tried to get up to date on everything that happened last week.  It wasn't too bad and I had handled some stuff during the week when I had time to sign on so I was already in good shape.   I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and sometime this week I have to get new tires on the car and get it inspected, so it was good to catch-up on work now before the interruptions start.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-08-13 1:01 PM
good luck at the dr tomorrow. I hope you get some answers.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-08-13 1:01 PM
Good afternoon Dave and anyone else who shows up.   I had a good run this morning.  5.5 in anticipation of a 10k race in September.  My longest run of the year.  Don't judge.:laugh::shocker!:: pbbt:

We saw fireworks on the riverfront last night, enjoyed some street mimes, and a DJ spinning Frank Sinatra tunes.  And dear Lord I drank a Coors Light.  It was that or Budweiser.  High-end party evidently.:grin::grin:

Decluttering today.  I found 3 tubs of paper in the basement.  Seems we emptied a file cabinet of my in-laws in a hurry when their house sold.  They've been dead 7 years - certainly we don't need any of this.  However, I'm going through it piece by piece and having some laughs.  My husband's old report cards, concert programs, high school IDs and ACT scores.  And an entire folder of newspaper clippings - obituaries of people I've never heard of.  Thinking I better just pitch that file - it could be a whole can of worms trying to unravel the relationships.....
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-08-13 1:03 PM
beer=good run. just an observation
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-08-13 1:02 PM
I ran with the group this am. 8.05 woody miles. nice morn.

super tired. long drive to Jersey yesterday for a party. philly traffic.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-08-13 1:03 PM
Hi Dave and others that are lurking

Nothing much happening in my neck of the woods.  Went to Mass and then out to breakfast and my brother joined us. 

Just trying to stay cool.

Have you seen this website that gives you and idea of what to expect with the eclipse.   Pretty interesting. https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map 

Praying that world peace will prevail.  Very sad to read about the Charlottesville VA deaths and injuries.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-08-13 1:59 PM
After I got out of work I was detained in my boat in a cove because I would have interfered with the swim course of the Casco Bay Swimrun. There are two courses; the long course is 5+ miles of open water swim between 8 islands and 14 miles running on the islands, the short course is 2 miles swimming and 7 or 8 miles running. Beast mode. So after an hour and 15 minutes I was able to get to my dock. Then I ended up on the course as a spotter in my little boat and didn't the day on the water. Too much sun, not enough water to drink and I never slept but I had a ball. Next year I'll spot again but probably in a kayak. If you feel like looking it up it's pretty interesting. The swimmers are tethered to each other. They wear sneakers so they can run as soon as they get out of the water. They can be untethered during the run portions but they have to stay within 20 feet of each other. Everyone made the cutoffs and I think only one team had to get rescued. Our island was on the course.

So no running. I'm exhausted and a little sunburned but it was a fun day.

:grin:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-08-13 3:31 PM
Wow!  That sounds like a blast!!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-08-14 4:36 AM
There is a race call the SOS in NY and it starts with a 30 ish mile bike ride, then a swim, then a run, then swim....They also have to have the running shoes in a water proof bag tied to them so they are prepared to run when they get out. They MUST have a sherpa who can help (ie load bike after the bike leg) and so forth but the sherpa is not allowed to hold the shoes for them. It's a long day (7 ish hours), a couple bodies of water etc. My friend is doing it next month. It's crazy.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-08-14 5:47 AM
This is based on an international set of races called OTILLO which means island to island. No sherpas- what you start with you must end with. I had a fleeting moment when I thought the short course might be fun but when the RD asked me to spot again next year I immediately said yes. :laugh: (We went to school with the RD.)
They used REDD bars at the aid stations. I tried one, not awful but I wouldn't pay money for it.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-08-14 10:13 AM
The only reason SOS is required to have a sherpa is that the race people do not have any kind of security where they leave the bike. The sherpas are not to do ANYTHING else. So this race is often requiring of a wetsuit, they have to carry that when they run, like they have to carry the shoes when the swim.

Never heard of those REDD bars.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / May as well acknowledge that it is Sunday - 8/13 daily