Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Beginners / Cleveland twilight 10k RR
- - By NYCoach [us] Date 2017-08-13 8:29 AM Edited 2017-08-13 8:36 AM
Well this is a different kind of report for me. I've been up all night with apparent food poisoning so I'm feeling rough for sure...

My wife wanted to run the 5k in this race with friends from work and thought it would be fun to get a babysitter and both run it. The race started at 7:30pm and the 10k would be a double loop around edgewater park on Lake Erie and surrounding neighborhoods. This double loop meant for a big steady hill that we'd end up running twice.

Training has been going very well but this was by no means a goal race. I've been in duathlon mode and actually haven't raced raced a straight up running race since the surgery. I knew that I've gotten into quite good shape over the past few months.

At the start there was a big turnout but I could tell there were only a few really fast guys, one of which I'd never seen before. Turns out he's an 18 year old "pro". Ok so I won't be beating him.

The starting horn sounds and he and I are out fast. I wanted to stick with him as long as I could knowing he'd eventually pull away. A good portion of the race took us onto the paved park path which was not closed to other people. This would become a mess...I was stunned at how many people right off the bat were utterly clueless of their surroundings and some were even yelling negative things at us. Classy people at this park. Running through clouds of smoke from charcoal, cigs and apparently lots of weed, my breathing was strange. Then a guy tried to knock me over and all of his friends laughed. I called him a D$&@ and then worried about having to run past these idiots again for lap 2. All of this happened in the first 800 meters.

Up the hill and I somehow hit mile 1 at 5:20 and was a good 10 seconds behind the leader. Now traffic got really bad on the path. I was darting off into the grass constantly, and finally thought "this is stupid, what am I doing?" I looked behind me and we already had a huge gap on anyone behind us. At that moment I decided to back off. Back way off. Miles 2 and 3 were both at 5:53. It took everything I had to not bag it after the first lap. I actually slowed down to pull off and then decided against it.

The second lap was even more frustrating. Now we were lapping runners on top of the park people walking along drunk etc....lots of high diving kids, one of whom missed my hand and slapped me in the stomach hard. That was a nice touch. At mile 5 the water stop had gotten so backed up I just decided to stop grab a water and walk through congestion. Back to running I wanted to at least push the final mile. But it was pointless. I came through in second place overall with a 38:32. I wanted around 36:30 but with all of the nonsense, I was just happy to be done and happy to get out without twisting an ankle or anything like that.

People were very nice at the finish. I got to watch my wife finish. I got a nice trophy...

Then I got food poisoning. Hahaha. Perfect end to this strange evening.

Hey at least we are alive to talk about it....onward!!
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2017-08-13 8:57 AM
Wow what a mess. I'm sorry this was such a bad experience for you. I'm glad you weren't hurt more than food poisoning. Great job hanging onto to your position (and not losing your temper and punching anyone :wink:).
Parent - - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2017-08-13 1:57 PM
Thats crazy!!!

I would've gone nuclear for sure.
Parent - By spiritbear [us] Date 2017-08-14 6:52 AM
You’re saving the nuclear outburst for the 21st. :laugh:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-14 6:29 AM
wtf that race sounds like such a cluster! I can't believe the people in the park - I mean I know there are dipshits everywhere but trying to knock someone over wtf???  Congrats as always on a great race, backing off + walking and you still smoked it and got 2nd.

How did the pro kid do?
Parent - By NYCoach [us] Date 2017-08-14 11:56 AM
He ran 34 but told me that he was yelling at people the whole time as well :-(
Parent - - By spiritbear [us] Date 2017-08-14 6:51 AM
Nice job. :cool: Races like that drive me crazy. I feel like I exert more energy avoiding unnecessary stuff than I do actually running. Hence, Dallas White Rock Marathon. :roll:
Parent - By NYCoach [us] Date 2017-08-14 11:57 AM
I can't imagine dealing with that for a full marathon!
Up Topic Communities / Beginners / Cleveland twilight 10k RR