Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Three-Day Weekend RR/NRR
- - By swandive Date 2017-08-11 4:19 PM
Not a three-day weekend from work as far as I know, but our NRR threads have been struggling of late (and the weekend RR threads don't do much better) and it's a bit late for a Friday NRR thread, so I'm starting a weekend thread a bit early.

Post!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-11 4:29 PM
Crap.  I swear I had something I was just about to post and I've totally forgotten what it was. :roll:

Anyone near Cincinnati?  Maybe we should have an FE because we got a new router this week and now anything that uses WIFI for location-based services has decided that I'm in a very specific location near Cincinnati. :wtf:  I haven't had time to figure out the issue, but it's rather annoying when I want to look at the weather and I'm getting weather for Pataskala, OH. :roll:

It has been a long couple of days and I have a funeral I need to go to tomorrow.  I don't really want to go (does anyone ever want to go to a funeral :wtf:) but I should.  The mother of a friend of my dad's died.  I never met the mother, but I know the friend a bit and he is quite nice and has been a very generous benefactor to our family.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-11 6:04 PM
*Columbus, not Cincinnati.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-11 9:46 PM
Squirrelgirl is near Cincinnati, I believe, as is sunshine.

Columbus, I don't know. I have a friend there but she's not a runner.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-08-12 5:23 PM
Sorry about the funeral but hope all will be comforted.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-13 6:21 AM
I go to funerals to honor the friends and family of the deceased even if I don't know the person that well in some cases. Sometimes it feels weird, but I never regret going.
Parent - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-13 7:58 AM
I read a few weeks ago that one of the Baltics - maybe Estonia? - was offering e-citizenship. Maybe this constructively makes you a cyber-citizen of Ohio? For whatever that's worth?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-08-12 2:35 PM
Back from a week of camping and travel. Started with my cousins wedding, ended with a great salt swim. In the middle there we're whale skeletons, baby seals, Mac and cheese camp cooking, loud kids at 8am, a waterfall to lull me to sleep, a drive in movie, and lots of snuggles from MCF.

An hour in the sound this morning. It was the closest I've come to getting out and walking back.  So hard. Felt like it was up current both ways.  The mental game was tough.  Saw some giant schools of fish, schools that took about 10 strokes to cross.  Beautiful.  It is back to Seattle summer temps, so the air was only about 60.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-12 3:30 PM
Loud kids aside, it sounds like a great week!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-08-12 5:19 PM
Baby seals :hug::hug: Glad you had a good time. :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-13 6:11 AM
That sounds delightful and I don't even like camping!:shocker!:
Parent - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-13 7:55 AM
Wow, that sounds like a fantastic vacation! I'm craving your summer temps, although I'm sure they don't feel so refreshing when you're in the water.
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-08-13 4:59 AM
Haven't posted much lately but hate to see so few posts, so I want to contribute. Things are generally good over here. After a very rainy spring and summer, the sun started shining on the day my vacation started and started raining the day I started work again. :shocker!: I didn't travel much, was basically yoyoing back and forth between the sumer cabin and home sometimes with my sister, sometimes with H and sometimes both. Also working in the garden. I've already had a few tomatoes (my first home-grown!) and a few zucchinis on the way. These are in my tiny greenhouse. Outside I have spinach, kale, carrots and herbs. I love making salads which are mainly from my own garden. :grin:

Dad went to the hospital twice in June, first with blood clots in his lungs and then later with pneumonia. I really thought this was the beginning of the end but surprisingly he has bounced back and is doing well now. The rest of the family is fine. The newlyweds from California came for a visit in July which was fun. For once, the whole family was able to come together. Apparently my brother is moving home from California in September. He'll be working for the same (Australian) company though.

Not much going on really but sometimes no news is good news. :happy:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-13 6:12 AM
I'm glad your dad bounced back and is doing well. :hug:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-14 4:25 AM
Thanks. :hug: I'm not ready to lose another parent just yet.
Parent - - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-13 7:54 AM
Excellent vacation timing with regard to the weather! I'm incredibly jealous of your garden. We've tried to get a plot in a local community garden, but everything is booked for years to come.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-14 4:27 AM
Yes, I love it. And the greenhouse, although small and un-heated, makes it possible to grow things that couldn't possibly grow outside. Too bad the community gardens are booked up! That's how I started, we have plenty of them here.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-08-13 2:42 PM
It must have been nice to have everyone together. I'm glad your father is ok.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-14 4:27 AM
Yes, it was super nice. It doesn't happen often with part of the family living in California.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-13 4:43 PM
Glad you had a sunny vacation. :grin:

Also glad to hear that your family is weathering some storms but overall doing well. :hug:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-14 4:28 AM
Getting a sunny vacation over here is like winning in the lottery! :laugh: Yep, we are doing well, especially the younger generations, something that's becoming more and more important to me the older I get.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-13 5:48 AM
I am taking DD back to school today so not leading the run group. This allows me to sleep in until 6:30. DD will be living in an apartment, not a dorm this year so I think she will like that better. I also think with a better idea of what to expect, there won't be so many ups and downs. I have enjoyed having her home this summer. We have had a lot of fun, but I am starting a list of things I will be doing now that I won't be quite so busy. First on that list get a cut and color.
Parent - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-13 7:52 AM
Hope your DD has a good year. That transition from dorm to apartment really improves quality of life for a lot of students. It's great to hear that you've had such a good summer with her.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-08-13 2:41 PM
I'm glad you had a good summer with DD.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-14 4:29 AM
Great that you got to enjoy the summer with her. :grin:
Parent - - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-13 7:51 AM
I've been super MIA, so here's my update: I'm currently procrastinating as I wrap up my summer school grading, which is a super bad idea, since I only have a week before the fall semester starts. I'm still at UT-D and was appointed program head for American Studies in June, so I'm teaching a fantastic courseload this fall that's much closer to my research interests and also taking on some administrative duties. I'm liking the mix of classroom and admin time. I had a ton of reservations about teaching my research methods class during the five-week summer session, but I had a great group and things actually went really well -- aside from my contracting bronchitis during Week 4. I just finished a round of prednisone yesterday, and I'm hoping to be able to get back to exercising again soon.

I think I mentioned previously that I started dating someone in February. He basically moved in about two weeks after our first date, and things are still going really well. I hadn't realized how incredibly comfortable I had gotten in being alone; it's taken real adjustment to re-learn how to play well with another person (even a super-great person!) in my personal life. Over the summer, we did quite a bit of traveling, and I was especially happy that B. was able to meet a lot of my friends in New York in June -- we spent about a week in the city after I presented a paper on Long Island. About a month ago, we also adopted an adorable orange kitten that we've named Max, who is the sweetest little jerk you'll ever meet. I think I've lifted him down from the table at least 147 times this morning.

I'm so glad to have my first year of post-grad school teaching finished, and I'm looking forward to having a bit more time to breathe -- and, hopefully, to catch up with you all.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-08-13 2:29 PM
I wish I knew you were going to be on Long Island! I would have loved an FE.
Parent - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-14 7:39 AM
I know! I'd been thinking about contacting you, but I ended up coming down with a nasty virus the day after I arrived. It was pretty much all I could do to manage my conference responsibilities. Next time!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-08-13 4:07 PM
Good to see you again. Being program head must mean folks trust you ( or you drew the short straw). Have fun with it.

And I hear you about being comfortable alone. The hardest part of marriage for me is the constant togetherness.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-13 4:48 PM
I don't know how you do it. :blush:  My parents have a house guest and they have not shut up all day.  Seriously, in the past 10 hours I don't think there has been 15 straight seconds of silence. :meh:  It is driving me batty.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-08-13 8:55 PM
Mcf is out for beer with the guys! Bliss!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-08-14 4:32 AM
I got lucky, as J is not real talkative :laugh: Our kids on the other NEVER SHUT UP :cry:
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-08-14 2:46 PM
Ew.
Parent - - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-14 7:41 AM
Re: constant togetherness, it's good to hear other people say that. For awhile, I was beating myself up a little and worrying that my desire for more time alone meant that something was wrong, either with the relationship or with me.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-08-14 8:50 AM
I've learned to tell MCF that I'm "over peopled" and then he'll ask "am I people" and I'll answer honestly.  I mean sometimes I'M people, so of course he will be!
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-15 3:15 AM
Nothing wrong at all! Most of us need time for ourselves every once in a while, I need that too. I'm glad when H goes to soccer games and I have the evening to myself, same thing for him when I go away. I hate very loud music, so he blasts away while I'm gone. :wink:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-13 4:44 PM
Hi!
Parent - - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-14 7:42 AM
Hello! How're you doing? Seems like you've been dealing with a full slate of family/logistical responsibilities lately.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-14 4:25 PM
I'm hanging in there.  Sis, BIL, and the three nieces return tomorrow and will be here for about a week before heading back to China, so the house isn't going to be getting any quieter anytime soon. : pbbt:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-13 8:39 PM
I think you have some pretty good reasons for being MIA. Maybe when you are feeling up to exercise and now that  anticipate having some more time, you can post more.
Parent - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-14 7:43 AM
Definitely. One of the things I like about my schedule for the fall is that I should be able to get into a more regular exercise routine.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-13 10:14 AM
I ran 12.3 this morning, my slowest run yet. :roll:  In my defense, the weather was gross and the route had several nasty hills.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-14 4:30 AM
I don't know how you even do that! Just going that distance in that kind of weather is amazing IMO.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-08-13 2:39 PM
I ran yesterday and took a rest day today. Sunday is always a rest day. Tomorrow we leave for vacation. DD is not coming because she and her BF are going on a cruise next Sunday. She will house sit and hopefully take care of our little zoo. Poor animals. This is the first time DH and I have been away together in years. DS is coming too. DH and I haven't been on the best of terms, as he has issues he needs to deal with and I am about done unless he changes. I'm a little apprehensive about the trip, but I love Maine. Hopefully we will have a great time together. We are going to Boothbay Harbor for two nights and then Bar Harbor for four nights. Acadia is my happy place. I enjoy running into town in the early morning and I'm glad that I'm all healed up. This week I get to bump my distance to over 2.5 miles at a clip. Slowly getting back to where I was before injury.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-13 4:49 PM
I hope you have a great time on vacation, whether with DH or on your own. :hug:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-14 4:40 AM
Sorry you and DH are having issues, I hope you can work them out. Hope you have a nice vacation in any case. :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-14 4:46 AM
I am glad you are able to run again! That's great news. I hope you have a pleasant "issue free" trip. :hug:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-12 9:24 PM
12 miles this morning.

We got all the painting done, so should be able to get all the furniture arranged tomorrow and the stuff into bedrooms. Yay!
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-08-13 4:47 AM
Good job on the run! It must be hot over there this time of year. So DD is back? Has she got a job yet?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-15 10:57 AM
Yes she is and no she hasn't. One grade (in phlebotomy) has yet to be input since it has to be done manually and until that is on her transcript she can't send it to the licensing board and get her license. Even then there may be an issue since while she's qualified to work in most states ours requires a full year's internship and hers didn't involve a full year on the bench. So it is possible she will have to work out of state for a year before getting her license in our home state. :sad::mutmad:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-13 6:14 AM
I did 12 miles yesterday also. The last mile was rough because I originally only planned to do 10. You make it sound so easy in your post.:laugh:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-08-13 2:40 PM
That's good news!
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-08-13 12:38 PM
RR I put together my first 4 day run week in forever. I have a 5K September 9 fundraiser for our Children's Cancer Center. My husband was elected to the Board there just this summer. Its his way of giving back. Today was Body Pump and Yoga.

NRR - 2 of my friends and kids decided they want to come with me to see the eclipse so we had to rent a van! but it will be a ton of fun. A bit of a drive but we will make a road trip party out of it. One of the moms is a math teacher and decided this was more educational for her kids than school I agree. I had made hotel reservations way back in December before we even knew Evan was going to relapse so it is kind of honoring him as he would have loved this so much. I am taking a photo of him with me and putting it beside me at totality.

We are driving to Columbia SC. Even last December I couldn't afford the Charleston hotels and it appears that the hotels in Columbia didn't realize about the event as I only paid like $60 a night for mine. Bet they are wishing they could kick me out now.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-08-13 2:40 PM
Sounds like the trip will be fun.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-13 8:40 PM
I hope the trip and the eclipse are fun. Congratulations on the four day run week!
Parent - By Laris [us] Date 2017-08-14 7:44 AM
Sounds like that'll be a great trip. I'm a little disappointed that our semester starts next Monday, so I wasn't able to make any travel plans.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-15 10:58 AM
I am so envious of your seeing the eclipse. It would be a 16 hour drive for us and hotels in Oregon are unbelievably expensive. But what a way to remember Evan, that's wonderful.

Good for your DH serving on the board of the center.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Three-Day Weekend RR/NRR