Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Odd coincidences Friday
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-11 7:35 AM
Have you had any odd coincidences lately? Do you believe in coincidence?  Do you think coincidences have any universal/spiritual/other meaning?

Run/workout
Food/drink
Weekend plans
Other blather

Bonus: Name something that XT can do in his free time until he can start running again.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-11 7:57 AM
I went into NYC for work yesterday and had 2 odd coincidences. The first was that as soon as I stepped off of my NJ Transit train in Penn Station, the Amtrak announcer was announcing the stops of the train that was about to depart, and they announced Woodbridge, VA! That is my hometown. :hug: I know the Amtrak stops there and I know the train from NYC goes there, but it was just odd that they mentioned my hometown as soon as I stepped off the train. Then they mentioned Staples Mill, Richmond, which is right where my sister lives!

The other odd coincidence was seeing the same guy twice in two different places in NYC several hours apart. This guy sat across from me on the NJ Transit Train from Secaucus to Penn Station. He was a tall black dude, wearing a "Hate & Ashbury" shirt :roll: and some interesting wire and rock jewelry that I was studying on the train. We got off the train at Penn Station together at 11am. I went to my client meeting, and I was traveling back to Penn Station via subway at 3:15pm and ran into the same guy in the Times Square subway station! :shocker!: What are the odds of seeing the exact same person in a different subway station 4 hours later? Of all the people in NYC?

Not sure if coincidences have any meaning, it's probably just God/the universe laughing at us.

Run: 6 x 1 mi cruise intervals @8:47 with 1 mi w/u and c/d. I was supposed to run them last night but a migraine said no. :roll: It was way cooler this morning too, so I was happy about that. Tough workout, but I hit all of them at or just under target pace. :cool: My head felt fine during the run but started hurting again once I was done. :sad:
Food/drink: berry smoothie, cappucino from DD
Weekend plans: taking the future step-daughter dress shopping for the wedding tonight. :hug: Tomorrow fiance and I are taking future step-son and his friend to a Yankees game. :cool: It's supposed to rain all day though, so we will see how that pans out. Sunday will be a lot of stuff around the house and errands.
Other blather: I got to the city WAY early for my meeting yesterday, but I had anticipated that and brought my lunch. The client was near Bryant Park, so I walked over there to sit and have my lunch. There was a concert going on, Broadway in the Park! Basically stars from different Broadway shows sang songs from the shows. They weren't in costume or anything, they were just singing. It was a nice way to spend an hour!

Bonus: Read War and Peace : pbbt:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-11 8:40 AM
The God's... they must be crazy.

GOod run today.. hope the weather is not a bust for the game. Forecast is for morning rain here, then lesser chances during the day/evening.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:37 AM
Fun surprise in the park!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 2:02 PM
That is pretty coincidental, especially in NYC.

Nice workout!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-11 5:07 PM
The tall black dude was either stalking you or tailing you : pbbt:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-11 8:38 AM
I've had plenty of co-incidences with satellite radio playing a particular song at a funny point in time, but I've mentioned those before. Sort of a funny one as of late. The wife and I saw one of those AC/heat cooling service trucks on route 422 last week. The truck had a huge picture of a typical white Caucasian man waving, smiling, and all happy to come fix your heating or cooling problem. I joked to my wife, impersonating the man, "Hi I am here to service your unit... now bend over and get ready... fill in the blanks... to pay big dollars!". Well. This week that truck was at my neighbor's house.

Run/workout: Will try a walk around the block with the dogs today at some point. Plus exercises for the knee. It does not feel too bad right now. I can move around pretty good.

Food/drink: Oatmeal topped with sliced nectarines and raisins. I need to pick up some beer today. Beer fridge is nearly empty. Hope I can find some of that Conshocken Brewery's Blood Money IPA.

Weekend plans: No running, or golfing that is for sure. I am on-call anyway.

Bonus: Well, the PGA championship and World Track and Field championships will be on the DVR.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:38 AM
Blazerman is passing day five of unemployment cheering Jordan Spieth on.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 2:01 PM
:laugh: Your coincidence
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:16 AM
Coincidence: High School track. Riding the bus back from a meet. Teammate mentions to me that he has a girlfriend in the town he recently moved from. Mentions her name. Fast forward a few months. I'm in the Chicago suburbs visiting my cousins. My cousin's high school friend hears I'm from NJ and mentions that she knows one person in the entire state, a friend who moved there from Illinois a few years earlier. Mentions the name. It's the same person. And years later, my old teammate is married to his high school sweetheart.

The big news: It looks like I can run again! Waiting on official word from the doc, but the prelim results of my CV stress test look like everything is functioning quite well. Woo-hoo! Tomorrow will be an easy 5-miler.

Bonus: Build a kayak.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-08-11 10:39 AM
I've built three from here.   The nice thing about building them is you can only work for a few hours a day on them.  Almost every step ends with epoxying something, so it's an hour or three preparing and then you epoxy, and then it has to sit overnight to cure.   You really want to do the epoxying in the afternoon as the temperatures drop.  If you epoxy and the temperature goes up, the wood tends to outgas and you end up with bubbles in the epoxy.  When the temperature is dropping, the air flows into the wood so you don't get the bubbles.  Great project!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:39 AM
Good news about being able to run!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:57 AM
Great news! :grin:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 1:59 PM
Wow! Cool coincidence!

Great news on the test. Enjoy your run tomorrow :cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-11 5:09 PM
It looks like I can run again!  :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-11 6:52 PM
Great news Tim!:hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:51 AM
The fact that this week blazerman got laid off the day he returned from vacation......exactly what happened 17 years ago this month, was a fun(?) coincidence?  While I think they happen all the time, I am certain there is no "other meaning".  We simply notice them because we are looking/listening or asking the right questions to discover them.  But that doesn't mean they aren't fun to experience!

I exchanged one more day of pool running for running in the hope my abductor will feel better for tomorrow's scheduled 16-17 miler. 60 boring minutes.  It is supposed to be nasty hot and humid for the foreseeable future, but we may luck out with rain in the morning which will make the long run MUCH easier to tolerate.  I am currently eating brown rice and some sort of soy/honey chicken thing I made in the crockpot the other day.  While I find it tasty, I am the only one in the family who really likes it, so more for me!

I have my employer's suite for the Rangers' game tonight.  I am taking the principals of the company at which blazergirl had her internship this summer to "thank them" for giving her the gig.  And since they are not clients of mine (yet), it is a good way to start a dialogue with them!  Since everyone is bringing their family, it should be a fun evening.  Other than that, blazergirl and I will organize her crap as she moves back to school next week.

Bonus: When we were bored as kids, my mother's directive was ALWAYS.....Pray a rosary.:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:59 AM
Your bonus :laugh:

Yeah, your coincidence this week really sucks
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 2:00 PM
Cool! Have fun at the game and good luck with the networking!

Hope the abductor behaves tomorrow.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-08-11 12:37 PM Edited 2017-08-11 12:42 PM
We had two of those during our trip to Alaska. Saw a couple while we were hiking in Denali and that night they sat down right across from us at dinner, then the couple we shared the small plane ride with ended up on the same cruise we were on. It's happened way too many times for these to be a coincidence.

Workout was 5.5 on trails. I met some other folks for what I thought was an easy 4.5 mile run but when we flew by that turn-off I asked what they had planned and it was going to be about 7.5 miles. I would have had time for that but I hadn't brought any water and the humidity was 100%. We modified the route to split the difference but a good number of the group added on the super hard Spiderwoman trail. Weekend is pretty open so will try to knock off some of the honey-do list.

Bonus: Taste all of the IPA's on this list: 

50 Best IPA's in America
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 1:57 PM
That Bonus is definitely one that XT can get behind!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-11 2:03 PM
Nice list!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 1:56 PM
Not lately. Usually my coincidences are pretty garden variety. For example, a song in my head comes on the radio, or if I'm looking through old photos and I'll get a call or text from that friend. I don't think they have any kind of spiritual meaning. They definitely do stand out, though .

Run: 4 miles run/walk

Food/Drink: Nothing of interest. Oatmeal and eggs for breakfast and tortilla soup with a chicken caeser salad for lunch.

Weekend plans: Hopefully nothing tomorrow, outside of the usual errands/chores. I haven't done laundry in a while, which L reminded me of this morning when she opened up her drawers and said, "I don't have any clothes!" :roll:  Going out to dinner with my MIL on Sunday to celebrate her birthday.

Other blather: The office is empty today. I should have taken off. While these days are good to catch up on work, being out of the office on slow days helps me actually relax because I'm not missing anything.

Bonus: Cook something elaborate? Overindex on your PT exercises? Volunteer somewhere?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-11 2:04 PM
I don't think looking through old photos and getting a call or text from a friend is garden variety. That actually really cool! :cool:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-11 5:22 PM
Not real "lately" but in Dec. of 2013 I was flying from Philly to Indianapolis for an annual USATF meeting.  Left on Thursday and on the plane I sat next to a young black woman.  Leaving Indy on Sunday we (our Assn's. long distance running reps) joined one of the coaches from our Assn. at the airport for lunch & eating with him was the same woman I sat next to on the flight on Thursday.  Turns out she was one of the athlete attendees at the meeting...I didn't get to go to their specific meetings.  Anyway, she was from Neptune, NJ, attending Temple University in Philly but had already turned pro so not running for Temple, just getting her college education there.  It may have been the right choice for her - a week or so ago (Ajee Wilson) she broke the American record in the 800 meters! 

No workout today but I played 18 holes of golf (on a short course...all pars 3 or 4) with 4 guys I grew up with.  2 of them I'd seen a couple of times in the past few years, the other 2 I hadn't seen in over 25 years!  It was great catching up with them!

Bonus:  Watch golf?
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-14 6:12 AM
As I was reading your story and got to the "Temple student turned pro runner while in college" part, I thought "I wonder if this is Ajee Wilson". Coincidence?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-14 7:02 AM
Ha, maybe but there might not be very many contemporary Temple students who turned pro runner while in school.  On the other hand, there might not be too many people who would know that about Ajee!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Odd coincidences Friday