Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Lifehack Thursday
- - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:34 AM
Good morning! Share your best hacks or shortcuts with the group - cleaning, cooking, etc. Bonus points if they relate to running.

Workout, eats, blather

Bonus: Favorite guilty pleasure song. The more embarrassing the better.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:48 AM
I have a pretty good lifehack that I employed this morning. I take an earlier train into the office than DH, and if I forget something, which is almost always my lunch, I'll ask him to bring it into the office. Even though we work at the same company, our offices are 20 floors (and a different elevator bank) away. So he'll bring the stuff to his office, and I have to retrieve it. On days where I have a bunch of meetings and can't make it up there, I say, "Well, if you're auditioning for best husband of the year, you can deliver it to my office". It's insane, but it actually works so much better than if I just asked directly. So, injecting some humor and cheekiness into semi-unreasonable requests can help!

On a cleaning front, I finally got on board with the coarse kosher sea salt trick with dirty cast iron pans. It really works like a charm.

Run: 4 miles run/walk today. Felt great to be outside, but my sciatica and achilles are sore.
Eats: Leftover turkey burger with avocado and bacon and sweet potato fries :cool: (jealous? : pbbt:) I have identified a trend -- my sister likes to cook elaborate dinners when her boyfriend is coming over, which is typically Wednesdays, because he is off on Thursdays. So, I usually have a nice lunch to take on Thursdays.

Blather: My stomach is measuring two weeks ahead of where it should be, so I have to go in for a growth scan. Gestational diabetes can cause high birth weight in babies, but I feel that I have been managing it pretty well. Still, not excited at the prospect of a giant baby :meh:

Bonus: Ignition by R Kelly. HAS to be the Remix. I loved it in college, and I think I love it even more now. I heard it on my run this morning, and thank goodness it was dark and 5AM, because I was lip syncing the lyrics and doing some "dancing", which probably looked really awkward and stupid. :roll:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-10 2:05 PM
i was just listening to a podcast talking about how being cheerful and stupid can work the best when people are critical. humor and cheekiness also works!  :laugh:

when will you find out results from the scan?
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 6:42 AM
I go today, and the good thing about ultrasounds is that they're able to be read same day.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-10 3:19 PM
GD baby #1 was 6 lbs 13 oz, but also a month early....she it still rather impatient!:laugh:
GD baby #2 was 7 lbs 2 oz and only a week early. 

Hopefully baby won't be too big!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 6:43 AM
L was 2.5 weeks early, and was 6lbs 5 oz. But you give me hope!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-10 11:26 AM Edited 2017-08-10 11:30 AM
When I get up at 4:30am on days I teach the 6am class I dress in the pseudo bike shorts that I'll teach class in to save time changing when I get to the gym.  Since the only other changing involved is my footwear, strapping on a heart rate monitor and different T shirt this only save me 30-40 seconds but still.....

I'll teach cycling class this evening.  Typically that's been it for my Thursday workout but I'd had a conversation with one of the personal trainers about an aqua jogging class she teaches and I promised to give it a try...that happened this morning.  I'm a bit :meh:  about it but I get impatient doing drills in the pool with a kick board because that's slow so this seemed even slower still!  However, there may come a time if for instance I'm recovering from a hip replacement :roll:, where this form of exercise might be good for me.  I did contribute a dramatic change in the gender make up of the class :roll::roll:  and may have helped drop the average age of participants a bit.

Other blather:  tomorrow I'm playing golf with 3 guys I grew up with.  Two of these guys I've seen a few times in recent years, the other I haven't seen in more than 25 years.  It should be a blast!  My golf game on the other hand.....:cry:

Bonus:   This because...ever since I was a young boy I played the silver ball!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-10 1:37 PM
:laugh: The aqua jogging class sounds fun.

I don't know if we can count your bonus. Do people really feel guilty or embarrassed for liking the Who?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-10 2:03 PM
sucharunner. :roll: why do you think you need to cover territory when aqua jogging? You'll move forward some but it's better to just use effort to gauge the effect.  I've been doing a deep water exercise class with my mom once a week since february and a lot of it is just running which i like the best. my running partner and i have been going into the lake to aqua jog now too and really enjoy it. form does matter too.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-10 3:21 PM
I never use a kickboard when I pool run.....only the belt.  I am curious how it works with a kickboard.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-10 6:41 PM
Sorry, I was only comparing pool running to doing kick drills with a board for the snail's pace at which I was moving.  We did not actually use a kick board in the pool running class.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-08-10 1:11 PM
I don't know if it counts as a hack, but for our longer runs during the summer I freeze a bottle of water to have when we are done. There is usually still a good bit of ice in the bottle so the water is really cold and feels great after a hot, sweaty run.

6 miles and 6 hills again today. It was a little cooler today but still quite humid. The woman who works with me joined us today so we had to make sure that we didn't get chicked on the hills. I think the ART adjustment yesterday helped as I felt better today than the previous few weeks.

Bonus: It's Raining Men
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-10 1:37 PM
Totally counts as a hack.

Good bonus :cool:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-10 2:00 PM
bonus: that's it. now it's stuck. :roll::laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-10 3:22 PM
You fast runners can keep your water cold on long runs.  My frozen water has time to get hot!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-10 1:59 PM
if you have a batch of itty bitty spiders hatch in your living room, expect to vacuum everyday for the next month. :meh::cry:

we have plaster walls and coved ceiling with a picture rail and had a batch hatch maybe 3 weeks ago? i realized those little itty bitty black spots were spiders just before we were supposed to have a bunch of people over for dinner. fortunately the baby spiders stayed put but now even though i keep vacuuming them all up, more keep appearing and drop down unexpectedly onto you when you least expect it. i hate spiders! it becomes an upper body workout getting the vacuum out and using the attachment on our high ceilings. : pbbt:

met 4 others for a run this morning! :grin: I thought we were doing track but they didn't want to.  :roll: So we ran hills instead and the last 1.5 miles i did it at a tempo pace (about 8 flat) and 5.5 miles total. it was a lot of fun!  :grin:

DH and i are going to a mariner's game for my work. there will be hot dogs and beer. :grin:

blather: speaking of game of thrones. after the last episode with the dragon :shocker!::cool: both DH and I loved that episode! went to bed and later that night/early morning i got woken up by some very odd screeching/shrieking. :wtf: My first reaction was that it was a dragon.  :laugh: I think it was raccoons. :roll:: pbbt:

bonus: anything by lady gaga. :grin:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-10 3:23 PM
DO NOT POST ABOUT BABY SPIDERS EVER AGAIN!!!

Now, I feel like they are crawling on me.:cry::mutmad:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-10 3:59 PM
I told DH we needed a new house. :shocker!:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 6:53 AM
The episode was great! There was an article recently on the anatomy of the scene: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts/television/game-of-thrones-dragon-battle-was-inspired-by-apocalypse-now-and-saving-private-ryan.html?_r=0

I hate watching baseball on TV, but love going to games! The hot dogs and beer are probably 80% of it.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-10 3:30 PM
My life hack is telling my teenagers to cook, clean, go to post office, grocery shop, <insert something I don't want to do> for me. Sometimes, they even do what I say!:laugh:

My abductor was still feeling niggly last night at boxing class, so I decided to pool run today.....90 BORING minutes.  I might do that again tomorrow just to be cautious as I want to get a decent, long run in this weekend.  I was a Chamber of Commerce lunch today and had a small piece of salmon with mango salsa. I am not a fan of salmon, but the mango made it not awful. 

Blather: While at this luncheon, I was asked to make an impromptu presentation on a specific topic. :roll::meh:  It is a good thing I can bullshit about anything, to anyone at any time!

Bonus: I have the theme song to The Hannah Montana Show on my ipod.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-10 4:26 PM
what a great skill to BS on anything! :cool:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 6:45 AM
I can't wait until I have a couple of slaves with drivers licenses to order around :laugh:

I find pool running to be mentally difficult. I can only survive doing intervals or some other kind of workout.

Your bonus :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-11 10:35 AM
I too find pool running mentally difficult.....SO BORING! Since I tend to only do it when Ican't run, I force myself to do it because not doing anything feels worse than the mental drain of being in the pool.  And more importantly, if I at least pool run, I can eat more food!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-10 4:16 PM
Good afternoon! Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday. :happy: :hug:

Procedure is done and now well we see how things feel in a few days when the wrap comes off and the swelling goes down. I did walk to the end of the block and back this afternoon with the Lady (100 yards).

Life hacks. Clock in the bedroom is always 15-20 minutes fast. When grilling, season grates with olive oil just as it's heating up. There is something I've done to clean pots with dryer sheets but the actual problem escapes me at the moment.

Bonus: I know he's a douche, but any early Ted Nugent Stuff... Free for all, Cat Scratch Fever, Stranglehold albums come to mind.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-10 4:26 PM
:hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-10 7:38 PM
My bedroom clock is always 3 minutes fast.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-11 6:48 AM
I'm glad the procedure went well. For me, waiting to get to that "ground zero" point is always the hardest part. I always find comfort knowing there is nowhere to go but up.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-11 7:29 AM
:hug:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Lifehack Thursday