Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Knee surgery Wednesdaily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 7:27 AM
In honor of XT's knee scope, we have the knee surgery daily! Have you ever had knee surgery? Other joint surgery? Any surgery at all? Tell us all the gory details. : pbbt:

Plus the usual run/workout, food/drink, and blather.

Bonus: non-surgery related: do you carry your phone while you run? I was chastised by my sister this weekend for not carrying it, but I always run where there are other people around, so I feel like I don't need it. Her response was "what if you need to call for help?" Thoughts?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 7:36 AM
Hope your surgery goes well XT! :hug:

I have had 2 knee surgeries. The first one was on 9/9/99, and it was just a general scope to clean up cartilage in my left knee. The second one was in 11/2006, a complete ACL repair also in my left knee. They took the middle 1/3 of my patellar tendon and fashioned a brand new ACL out of it and screwed it into my femur and my tibia. 6+ months of rehab for that one. I also had surgery on my left elbow after I broke it while roller skating in 1988 and multiple bone fragments chipped off. I had 3 pins and a giant cast for 2 months. I also had surgery on my left foot to fix a bunion, they broke my big toe, took out some of the bone, then re-positioned the bones and shoved a pin in it to set the bones with the proper alignment. Several months of rehab for that one too. Hopefully no more surgeries!!!

Run: 5 miles at 5am. Slow run on tired legs, but it was cool and it was nice and quiet. I had to wear my reflective hear though. :cry: I am not ready for that!
Food/drink: berry smoothie, green tea. Leftover Amy's pesto pizza for lunch, yum!
Blather: my pinky toe is still sore, then when I was walking into the office I turned my other ankle and my other pinky toe popped out of my sandal and I janked it. :cry::laugh:

Bonus: I used to carry my phone in my running belt and used it to listen to audio books, but now I have a gionormous iPhone 7+ that doesn't fit in the belt very well so I got a tiny iPod to use while running instead. So I leave my phone at home.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-09 8:14 AM
Given how hot it is here, I actually like that the sun rises later.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-09 8:13 AM
Good luck today XT!!

No knee surgeries. That said, in 1993, I had a plate screwed into my fibula as when I broke it (slipped on the ice while running) it splintered and popped out of my skin.....gory enough for you? :laugh:  The plate and screws are still in my leg.  I have had to tend to blazerman after his hip replacement which went well.....he was back golfing 6-7 weeks after surgery.

During yesterday morning's run, the abductor on my left leg felt very strained. It felt the same way during certain exercises at boxing class last night, so I slept in this morning rather than run. I was even concerned pool running might affect it, so today I will be a sloth. I just started some sort of honey chicken thing in the crockpot.

Blather: so when blazerman's mom found out he was laid off, she called and insisted he go volunteer at our local community outreach (of which we are big suppoorters) or Catholic Social Services.....saying his layoff is probably a sign it was time to become more active in the community. I do agree that in the interim, he can certainly go volunteer while he is looking for a gig, but she thinks that he should do it full time. He appropriately told her he will do that sort of stuff full time in five years, when we don't have college tuition to worry about. She called at 7:30 this morning to "encourage" him.....she will drive him crazy within 2 days.

Bonus: I only carry my phone if I am running longer solo.....not for safety purposes, but to listen to podcasts. Where I live and run, I can't envision where I would be more than 50 yards from either a house or business where I couldn't call for help.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:17 PM
That's pretty gory! :shocker!: I nkew you had broken it but I didn't realize it was a compound fracture. My elbow displaced but it didn't break the skin, and I thought THAT was gory!

Blazerman's mom :roll:

Good call on the day off!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-09 9:11 AM Edited 2017-08-09 9:15 AM
I have one more day yet. I wish it was done already.

I've had both knees scoped in 2011 for medial meniscus tears. Sometimes now I wonder whether I should even be a runner, as like they say it will "mess up your knees". But oh well. Better than sitting around getting fat or road biking. I recovered pretty well from both procedures, but not sure how this one will go. Older and more creakier, and I suppose things are more mucked up in the knee. My right knee scope in 2011, I woke up during the procedure. Could not feel a thing of course but the anesthesiologist noticed I was awake and told me that was the inside of my knee on the tele. Some sort of classic rock was playing too in the OR, but I don't recall the song. It was a real party. The horror story is it took some time for my lower body to wake up, and they would not let me leave the hospital until I took a leak. The recovery nurse threatened to catheterize me and that got me moving. I did a happy dance over the commode.

Walked the dogs today, and am taking the afternoon off to play a round of golf. I guess I will spring the extra$ to ride in a cart today.

Bonus: Yes. Most of the time at least. I got in the habit as I need to carry it while I run when on-call. I have a very small flip phone though, and it fits nicely in my shorts pocket.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:19 PM
You woke up during surgery? That is my worst nightmare. :cry: When I had ACL surgery, I woke up when it was done, and apparently the nerve block they had given me didn't take, because they asked my pain level and I was at an 11. They gave me morphine, which knocked me out, then a half hour later I woke up again, they asked my pain level, which was now a 10, rinse and repeat until the pain was manageable. I did not have to wait around until I could feel my legs before I went home since I could already feel them. :roll:

Good luck tomorrow! :hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 2:00 PM
waiting for something like this would drive me crazy!
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-09 2:05 PM
Better than sitting around getting fat or road biking

Because those are the same things? :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:26 PM
Did you say "flip phone?":laugh::laugh::laugh:: pbbt:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-08-09 10:12 AM
I was having some knee pain a few years ago and got an MRI to assess the issue. The Dr is one of the trail runners I know and when we looked at the results and talked through it, he advised not to do anything. That turned out to be true as that pain is no longer an issue. The most surgery I have had to deal with has been dental.

Workout was 10 miles in 100% humidity. It was raining at the house when I woke up and it looked like we were going to get rained on during the run (which would have been welcome) but it never did. It was our last day to take advantage of the indoor water fountains at the two parks we go by as they shut down their day camps this week. The middle school right across the street from one was having some sort of get-together and a local tv news station was there filming. We hope that they didn't get us in the shot as we were all disgusting at that point.

I've been having some odd pains lately (calf issue and knee pain) so I had made an appointment with the ART Dr. who works the Kona Ironman event as he will look at my running and make adjustments based on that. My appointment wasn't until next Monday, but when I went to change, I saw a text from the office with a 10 AM appointment so I grabbed it. As I suspected, my hips are a mess and shifting everything around. He adjusted them and gave me some stretches and hopes to have me back in balance in 2-3 sessions.

Bonus: No, but I might feel differently about it if I were female.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:20 PM
How did the ART guy adjust your hips? It's not like a chiropractor is it?
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:36 PM
He used a slightly different technique than the chiropractor I also see uses.

I was face down on his table and he has a lever that raises part of the table under the hips then he snaps me and the table back down. He repeated that about 3-4 times and then my legs were back to even lengths. He's more expensive than the chiropractic, but I think he gets better results when I'm really out of whack like I am right now.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:54 PM
So it's like medieval torture? :wtf::laugh: Very cool that it evened out your legs!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-08-09 2:17 PM
If you've never done ART, I can confirm that it is torture. He's had me in tears before (but I haven't screamed like a little girl yet).
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-09 11:53 AM
My left knee was scoped in Dec. of 2006 to remove some "debris".  There was a lump of something that had calcified (meniscus or a bone chip) visible on the left outside of my knee...about 1cm across and an X Ray found another smaller bit under my kneecap.  The surgeon got the smaller thing out with the surgical tool but had to make a separate small incision to get the larger one.  Even that didn't require a stitch.  If we had MRIs back in 1976 when I first messed up my knee I likely would have had ACL surgery but it was confirmed as ruptured in the 2006 scoping the doc said my knee was too far gone to repair the ACL but he could replace my knee if I wanted...eventually :roll:  More likely a right hip replacement will be in my not too distant future :sad:

I taught cycling class this morning & did the usual core & shoulder exercises afterwards. 

Put results online this morning from our club's prediction race held last night.  5 down, 1 more to go for this summer.

Bonus:  I never carried a phone while running.  I always carry my phone while riding outdoors.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:21 PM
I definitely carry a phone while riding too!
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-09 12:38 PM Edited 2017-08-09 12:45 PM
I've never had knee surgery. I've never had any surgery, unless you could things like wisdom teeth removal and whatever they did in the OR after I hemorrhaged when Lilly was born.

I didn't run today. I got up at the right time, put my running clothes on and my contacts in, put my shoes on, drank a half cup of coffee, then just didn't go running. Eventually I took off my running clothes, took a shower, and went to work.

I'm having a very hard time lately with anxiety and likely some degree of PTSD. It gets pretty bad at times and sometimes results in things like putting on my running clothes and then not going running, even though running would probably help. It also sometimes results in things like putting Kahlua in my coffee. Funny story - last night we were all talking after dinner and Bill used the phrase "adding insult to injury" in the context of something Shawn was watching. He asked what that means. As Bill was explaining it, I just said "our lives in the last two years." We did laugh at that one.

Bonus: Sometimes but not for safety, to listen to music. How does your sister think people managed to run safely before cell phones?
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:23 PM
You are going through so much now, you know this is exactly what anti-anxiety meds are made for, right? Nothing wrong with talking to your doctor about that.:hug::hug:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-09 2:07 PM
That's also what Kahlua and vodka are made for :laugh::cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:27 PM
Truth!:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:23 PM
How does your sister think people managed to run safely before cell phones?
I wonder this myself :roll:

Sorry to hear about the anxiety and PTSD. :hug::hug:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 1:51 PM
anti-anxiety medications have made a huge difference in our lives. I urge you to discuss this with your doctor.   :hug:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-09 2:15 PM
I am not interested in anti-anxiety meds (or any meds). I'm in counseling. It helps. This is likely not going to last forever.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 3:06 PM
probably not but it can be nice to have options. :happy:
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-10 6:16 AM
It's always good to have options, and I am open to options. Right now I don't want to add drugs to my life (other than the vodka). Bill went through the same discussion. Right now we can't read an autopsy report from his son's death that includes benzos (among other things) and even consider taking them.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:17 PM
When I was 18 I had bone problems in my feet corrected. I was born with big toes that pointed in, instead of straight, so my feet looked almost like they had bunions. It caused a lot of neuroma-like pain in most shoes my whole life, so I had the surgery, which led to some other problems.:roll: I've needed orthotics every since the surgery. My feet were not born to run!:laugh:

7 pleasant, easy miles early this morning, the first 3 with Weasley,:hug: who seemed very annoyed to be awakened so early.:roll: Protein bar and a green smoothie for breakfast. Blather: So my friend I stayed with in Buffalo told me that her 96 year old father had just moved out on her 92 year old mother. Is it wrong that the first thing I did was laugh out loud?:laugh::laugh: I know there's a divorce lawyer joke in there somewhere, even though of course it's not funny to my friend who has to deal with the fallout from this shit (in addition to having her husband go through chemo right now:sad:). But I guess when you're 96, you think a lot about how you want to spend your final moments on earth, and maybe the guy was just being honest with himself?:laugh:

Bonus: I don't carry my phone for short local runs- if there's an accident where I'm hurt badly, I won't be able to call for help, and if I'm not hurt badly, I won't need to call for help. I do carry my phone on long runs, which I usually drive to a distant park for. I suppose there could be a situation where I needed to call the police, but I can always ring a doorbell and ask for help. Also, if I have my phone, Philip can find me on Find My Friend if something went wrong, but he probably would look for hours anyway.:roll::laugh:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:24 PM
Saddle Brook Park isn't THAT distant : pbbt:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:31 PM
No,:laugh:, but it's not local. And Central Park, you never know what the traffic will be like in NYC, I like to have met phone with me. Btw, Central Park is really the best place to train for NYCM. I love Saddle River, but it's too flat.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:16 AM
So flat. Good for my Chicago training! :laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 1:50 PM
how sad and disruptive for that family.  (my MIL can probably relate right now. :shocker!::sad:)
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:32 PM
It is sad! I can't understand why every time I think of it I laugh, it's so wrong. But damned...:laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 1:47 PM
I've never had any knee or joint surgery. I've had surgery on my foot when as a kid i stepped on a needle and it broke off inside my foot. I didn't know it though so walked around on it for a week. It wasn't gory. You couldn't see anything! 

I ran 7 miles this morning. Since it has been so warm here and since the air quality is much worse in the afternoon, there are SO many runners lately in the morning. It's getting darker though. :meh:

DH made a cake and i cannot wait to have more!  :grin:

bonus: yes and pretty much always. i have a flipbelt thingy to carry it so i dont' even notice. I usually listen to a book or podcast plus also i just like the comfort of knowing i can call easily and immediately if needed. DH and I also use a tracking app so we can see where each other is. it comes in handy because DH checks when i am leaving work and has dinner ready. :grin::cool:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 1:55 PM
That is the best use of a tracking app that I've ever heard! :laugh::cool:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 7:48 PM
i heartily approve of it's use as well! :grin:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:33 PM
Cake! You forgot the important details!:mutmad:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 7:48 PM
it's from the bake along book with Chris and Donna. Snow White Cake with Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting. Soooo good!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:02 AM
I just drooled on my keyboard.
:hug:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-08-09 8:02 PM
Surgeries:
Double hernia repair at age 6
Wisdom teeth removed at age 18
Sliver of glass removed from my foot at age 19
And surgery to make sure I won't have any more kids:shocker!: earlier this year

Workout: 1.5 mile walk and some weights this morning

Blather: Friday morning I go for a cardiovascular stress test. If all goes well, I can resume running after I get the results. :fingerscrossed:

Bonus: No phone when I run. Except occasionally during a race, usually for logistical reasons. And there's usually a funny mishap.

At a half-marathon with a bunch of my cousins last year, I got an "emergency" phone call from my son (from my father-in-law's phone) because he didn't know where he was supposed to go for his soccer refereeing assignment. And I got the phone call MID-RACE:mutmad:. I first barked into the phone "This had better be an emergency because I'm mid-race right now!" And then when he asked which field he was supposed to go to, I barked out "I sent you an e-mail yesterday. Open the e-mail. Scroll to the bottom. Find the attachment. Open it. Find your name. Look across to the column on the right. That will list the field." Click.

And at this year's Boston, I somehow managed to "pocket post" a couple of pictures and videos to Facebook while running.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:11 AM
Hey, my dog had the same surgery earlier this year.: pbbt:

Ugh, I made the mistake of answering the phone during a race once. Never again!:laugh:

Fingers crossed your test goes well!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:18 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-09 8:09 PM
Late post. Good luck XT!

No knee surgery.

Run was 6 miles this morning 1.5 of those with the Pepperonicus. Work has been crazy busy.

Bonus: I don't, all your posts are making me paranoid. I always carry it when I am cycling but never when running.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-08-09 9:04 PM
I have never had knee surgery or any joint surgery. Two times I was in an OR as a patient: 1. to have a lymph node biopsy and 2. to have a catheter placed in my chest for chemo. I got Versed both times and LOVED it!:laugh: Apparently, the time I had the Hickman catheter placed, I went on and on to the OR nurses while the surgeon was scrubbing in about my Cornell boxer shorts that I was wearing even though we were at Yale because the fit of the elastic band was much more comfortable that the Yale boxers I had and since I wasn't sure if I would have to take them off, I had concerns about misplacing the Cornell ones I was wearing so I was really happy that I could keep them on. Apparently, I was completely aware that I was jabbering about nothing as I kept reminding the nurses that I know I make no sense and I wouldn't be offended if they were laughing at me as I was usually a happy drunk.:laugh::roll::blush:

Run: 5 mi
Food: Ramen...again...
Drink: Diet Coke

Bonus: I run with a phone when I am on call . The iPhone 6 is a pain to carry although I do like the Spider belt that I keep it in which helps.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-10 6:09 AM
When I had my knee scoped one of the OR nurses said she knew me from somewhere but we couldn't figure out where.  I had no clue who she was or where I may have seen her.  In my defense, she had a face mask & cap on so I didn't have much to go on.  We did not discuss my underwear.
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-10 6:40 AM
When Shawn has GA, they let him keep his stuffed animal with him and we always put one of the labels on it that has his name, DOB, MRN, etc. so they can reunite just in case it gets separated from him (it happened once). Next time you should put one of those labels on your underwear.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-10 11:11 AM
Next time you should put one of those labels on your underwear.   :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:07 AM
:laugh::laugh:

I can't imagine you all loopy.:laugh:  Valium did that to me, when I had radial keratotomy back in '92, before laser surgery was approved in the US. I kept asking all the nurses if they had washed their hands. Then I didn't remember any of that afterwards, except I kept falling on my butt when I got home after the surgery.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-10 8:19 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: that is hysterical about the boxers!!!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Knee surgery Wednesdaily