Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Speedwork Tuesday
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:38 AM
When you are in training mode, do you have specific days each week that you do specific workouts? If so, which days are which? Do you follow your program to a T, or do you vary the days on occasion?

Run/workout
Food/drink
Blather

Bonus: Do you do speedwork? Do you like speedwork? Which is your favorite/least favorite speed workout?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:57 AM
My schedule has Tuesdays and Thursdays as speedwork. Tuesdays are intervals, and Thursdays are tempo runs or mile cruise intervals. Long runs are Saturdays or Sundays, and the rest are just easy running days. I vary my workout days based on my work and life schedules. I generally get the speedwork in on the proper days, but I have been known to do speedwork on a Friday night after work too. :roll:

Run: 10 x 2:00 @ 8:04 with 1-ish mi w/u and c/d. Got to the high school track in the next town over and it was closed due to a sinkhole :shocker!: so I just ran the repeats on the road. It was slightly uphill in one direction, which I didn't notice until my last few repeats in that direction when I was super slow. 6 miles total on the day. Smashed little toe was unhappy but none the worse for the wear.

Food/drink: berry smoothie, yogurt, and green tea
Blather: I took Apollo for a walk after my run, and he was particularly interested in some hedges about a block and a half away from our house. He was sniffing around and I started smelling skunk, so I pulled him away in case the skunk was still in the area. We finished our walk, and I went to feed him, when I caught a waft of skunk coming from him. :cry: Fortunately he only had skunk smell on his head where he had been rooting in the hedges, and I was able to get it all off with my makeup removing towelettes that I use to clean my face before bed. :laugh: I couldn't find my antibacterial wipes. : pbbt:

Bonus: I like speedwork. I especially like hill repeats for some reason. :wtf: I have really only done hill repeats, tempo runs, 400 intervals, and mile intervals, and I like them all. I did half mile repeats once and I hated them, I think because I was used to 400 repeats and I went out way too fast and died on all of them. :roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-08 11:39 AM
Close call on the skunk. SirB got skunked very strongly one time and it was horrible for days and days. We took to calling him stink boy.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:27 PM
:laugh: How many towelettes did it take? Those things are not cheap!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:12 PM
It took 4 and I was really hoping they would work since I had a 9am meeting and didn't have time to give him a full bath! :laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:43 PM
good to know about towelettes! :laugh:

400s are super fun but i really do like 800s.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-08 11:32 AM
My marathon training mode week had hills or speedwork on Tuesdays, a medium long (7-10 miles) run that could include tempo on Thursdays and a long run on Sundays.  When I joined a running club, a group met to run on Thursdays & Sundays and I jumped at the opportunity to run with others.  Once I had access to a gym at work for a shower I progressed to running with others on almost all of my runs.  Some of us would train for the same marathon or one in a similar timeframe and among the "work" runners I was apparently the most organized :roll: so they followed the plan I was on which had first hills & then speedwork on Tuesdays.

My workout today was swimming 1600 meters, preceded by some core & shoulder exercises.

Turkey on rye, iced tea, one large chocolate chip cookie!

Blather:  In line with today's topic I have a speedwork story.  Our club tried to organize track speedwork on Thursday nights one summer.  It was lightly attended and eventually abandoned.  However, one time I showed up for it and there were all sorts of HS runners milling about the place :wtf:  I asked one and he told me it was a "Distance Night" meet the coach put on to provide runners on teams from area schools get one last chance at running a qualifying time in the 800, 1600 or 3200 for the Penn Relays.  They were just setting up so I had more than enough time to do the six 800's I planned.  It didn't appear that anyone else was coming for our club's workout & I thought, "Oh great, all of these kids will be goofing on the old guy trying to run intervals".  However, one woman from the club showed up and since she was a very attractive woman in her mid-20s I figured they would be too busy watching her to worry about watching the old guy...WHEW!  We actually hit all six of our 800s within a second or two of the target 2:55 pace!

Blather II: tonight is the 5th of 6 events for our running club's summer race series.  It's a prediction race of one loop at the park.  At registration, everyone predicts a time they will run & whoever comes closest, both for overall & age groups, wins!  No watches, etc. allowed.

Bonus:   I liked both the hill repeats & 800 meter repeats we used to do.  Having a group to do them with helped tremendously!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-08 11:40 AM
Another great night for your summer race series!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:42 PM
i know a number of runners who would never run that race because 1. they couldn't wear a watch. :roll:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-08 11:33 AM
I used to be pretty organized about speed work when I trained for marathons, though I sometimes shuffled days around. Now doing ultras I rarely do speed work at all, or at least nothing organized. I will do some impromptu trail tempo or trail fartleks from time to time but not so much this year unfortunately.

Last "run" yesterday evening probably for the next 3 weeks or more. With all the rain yesterday I could not resist hitting the blue trail at Green Lane to take in all the water gushing down the creeks and ravines on the south side of the lake. Normally these are light flows, even just a trickle in summer but there was whitewater and mini-falls last night, plus the sound of rushing water. We cut our normal 7 mile loop short down to 4.5 miles due to my slogging pace.

Food/drink: Tuna salad wrap, carrots, multi-grain baked crisps, grapes and strawberries as snack.

Bonus: As mentioned, I don't do much speed work anymore. Do I like it, well, I like it sometimes, I mean it's hard, but it's what makes you faster and there is nothing like the feeling after a good speed workout. Intervals are hard for me, but my favorites are tempo or progression runs. Progression runs are the best. I used to run them starting moderate to tempo to marathon to 10k pace.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:25 PM
Sounds like a good last run.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:41 PM
good luck. what is recovery like?

oh yes, i like progression runs too. i rarely ran them very well though. so hilly around here that it was hard to tell as my last supposed to be fastest miles are always uphill.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:33 PM
Sounds like a pretty run. Good luck with the scope
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:22 PM
The last time I trained for a marathon, I had two "quality" runs per week. They were mostly built into longer runs (15+ miles), and I needed more days of recovery in between, so I typically did Wednesday and Saturday. I tried to follow the program as best that I could. I never did more than what was prescribed, but I sometimes did less mileage/slower paces if the weather was very hot/humid, or if I was just feeling bad. The program ended up being too much for me, in any case. Speedwork tends to take more out of me than distance.

Run: Nothing again. No excuse. Just tired and slept in. I have developed some sciatica pain, probably pregnancy-related, but I also have been having achilles stiffness and pain - probably due to weight gain and likely from a gait change. In any case, running is becoming a little less enjoyable. I'm going to attempt to get out of bed on time for a 5:15 spin class tomorrow and maybe just start replacing runs with walks on other days.
Food/Drink: My team hosted a little shower for me, and had a taco bar, which was exactly what I wanted
Blather: Any Game of Thrones people here? I kind of fell off the wagon for the past two seasons because the story line kept expanding and I couldn't keep track of all the characters/plots. I follow this guy on Instagram - thefatjewish - and I think he said it best in a recent post "I'm too stoned to keep all the characters straight, like Tamarius Longnathingham, brother of Barmarius Longnathingham from the kingdome of dragonstone". In any case, with essentially one season left, the story is consolidating, and every episode is kind of a blockbuster. I'm back!

Bonus: When I'm not training, I like to do 200s once/week as part of a normal run. I'll do maybe 10-15 sets of 200 on/200 off. If I'm training for a marathon, I tend to do best with Threshold runs and the worst with Repetition/Interval runs.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:39 PM
Taco bar! :grin:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:06 PM
In my <5 years experience teaching indoor cycling I've had 3 women ride in my early morning class late in their pregnancies.  One told me she had to switch to cycling because she could no longer run.  She was in class until 8 days before she delivered. 

I don't watch GoT but the book author was from my hometown and although he was 4 years ahead of me, we attended the same school during my K-3rd grade years :roll:  He also attended the same HS as I did but graduated the year before I started there.  This factoid and $5 will get me across the Ben Franklin Bridge the next time I drive to Philly :roll:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:50 PM
I really like spin because I feel fully supported (and I can dial back the intensity/gear if I'm just not feeling it, but still feel like I am fully participating). I think I might transition to doing it on Mondays and Wednesdays, which are the only days the 5:15 class option is offered at my gym and then just walk the other days.

Pretty cool about George Martin.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:58 PM
I thought it was awesome that Lorelei, Caroline and Lauren were working out but really hoped they wouldn't go into labor during my class :shocker!:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 5:56 PM
What, baby delivery isn't part of the standard first-aid procedures your gym requires?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-09 2:54 AM
:laugh:  Just CPR/AED.

There is an MD who rides almost every morning in my class.  Although, he's a neurologist & when we asked if we could count on him, he begged off saying his last obstetrics rotation was in the 1980s!  Even being in a (Virtua) hospital system gym with medical offices & an urgent care center in the complex, none of those are open at 6am!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-08 1:13 PM
I'm a big game of thrones fans. This season they are moving along very fast. I just wish G. Martin would finish the books as I enjoyed those. Of course the HBO show has moved away from the books on some character, but I guess the key players are ending up in the same place. Well, we'll see. I am not sure he has the energy or desire to finish the books, but I hope he does. The last show on HBO was amazing/crazy stuff.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:53 PM
I remember reading an interview of George Martin where he talks about the time involved in the character development of expansive, multi-threaded storylines like Game of Thrones. I have not read the books, but I know there is more detail there than in the shows. I wonder if the direction of the show will lead him down one path or another in the stories. I imagine it's hard not to let it have any influence whatsoever.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:40 PM
we've been watching GOT all the way through. i'd read most of the books before though so was used to all the various names/etc. it's easier now to keep track with the tv show! this season has been fantastic!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:31 PM
Taco bar sounds really fun.

I think someone on Lovitt or Leavitt was also talking about how long it takes him to watch each episode because of extensive googling to figure out who is who. :laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:43 AM
I kind of love that I have mad you obsessed with Lovett or Leave It! HA!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:43 PM
I used to do speed work at least once a week.....the most successful was the weekly 5K Hell in Dallas. I also liked Yasso 800s. I don't do speed work any more because it beat down too much. Additionally, (a) I don't care about my times any more and (b) when my friends who are th same age & ability as me do it, they always end up injured an I don't want to deal with it. I will try and run wth fast people at least once a week which will be my tempo run. I have never been able to follow a training program due to LIFE. Since the kids have stopped sucking every minute of my days from me, I probably could do it now., but see above about not acting about my times anymore.

I think I strained an abductor muscle lifting after boxing class night as it as very sore this morning. I only did a very slow 8 as opposed to my regular Tuesday 10 miles. Will box tonight.

I have decided that while blazerman is unemployed, I will come home for lunch to save money and to give him a bit of company. Had a corned beef sandwich and strawberries.

Bonus: See above.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-08 1:09 PM
Good point about speed work and injuries. I was always leery about intervals during marathon training.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:53 PM
That's cool you can do that for lunch with blazerman. For some reason, I thought you had a super long commute.

Hope the muscle feels better.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-08 2:59 PM
Lunch dates, nice! :cool:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-08 5:01 PM
Coming home for lunch is really nice, I do that most days. Sometimes for me, it's just getting out of the room and getting daylight. And it has made a lot of the crappy aspects of the job more tolerable.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:38 PM
sorry about blazerman's job. :sad:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:06 PM
When I was training my hardest I was doing two workouts a week. It would vary during the training cycle as I built up as time progressed. I used to do Tuesday's and Friday's with Friday being a tempo run to get the legs fatigued before the long run on Saturday. I haven't maintained any sort of workout in the past few years but have built it into the training plan for the Kiawah marathon this December.

Run was 5 miles in light rain at noon. Radar looked bad, but the actual rain wasn't coming down too hard so we went ahead and started and if it got too bad we could always head back. It was really pretty pleasant and we weren't much wetter from the rain than we would have been with sweat.

Bonus: I went to do speedwork with the group last night but my calf was tight during the mile warm-up and it started raining when I was finishing up so I bailed. I had been doing some track work to get ready for HTC but felt that I was going to do more harm than good if I attempted the workout last night. I enjoy track workouts with a group as it takes me back to my high school track days.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:37 PM
smart move to skip it.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:29 PM
Agree, seems smart to skip it. Calf muscles are  flaky
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-08-08 4:49 PM
I tend to shift my schedule around based on life getting in the way, but just try to get all the workouts in for the week. Generally it's intervals on Wednesday, medium long run on Thursday of at least 11 miles, tempo or race on Saturday and long run on Sunday. Everything else is just easy running.

Last week was an unplanned cutback week as I felt some minor pain in the back of my right heel. I don't think it's the dreaded PF...FUPF, :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:because it's not in the typical place that you feel PF.

I put it to the test a bit today with 8 miles just under 60 minutes. Some minor heel discomfort as I sit here but nothing too bad.

My main interval workout for marathon training is 6 X 1600 with 1:00 rest. When I can do them in 6:00 or faster, I know I'm ready. Right now I'm in the 6:20's so it's clear I have a shitload of work to do.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 5:46 PM
Nice running. What is your time goal? Philly, right?
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2017-08-08 6:33 PM
Planning on Philly but haven't entered yet. The great thing about Philly is that you can wait a while to enter since it never sells out. Ran 3:06 there in 2015 on a pretty windy day so if I could duplicate that after not running a marathon in 2 years, I would be cool with that.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-08 4:54 PM
Only if I have a coach, otherwise, I just plod everyday. :blush: When I followed a version of  the Daniel's plan, it had speedwork but it varied week to week. I used to vary it depending on how I feel. I'd rather have a good workout then attempt one when I am not feeling it and then bomb out or worse get injured. And my coaches were okay with that.

Run: None yet, might do a short run later.
Food/Drink: Work food.

Blather: Our head of IT and head of mobile were here, so we had a dog and pony show and I got the chance to present to them so that was cool. Today they were indeed all dressed up like I imagine bankers do. Nice suits for all the men. The women were less stuffy formal.

Bonus: Depends.  I like short intervals on the track 200s -400s everything else not so much. I find tempo runs really hard and even with a coach would often find an excuse not to have done them.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:37 PM
if i don't do some uptempo runs, i plod slower and slower and then start shortening every run because i get bored. :blush::laugh:

did you have to dress up too? :shocker!::shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 5:58 PM
Cool that you got to present during the dog and pony show :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 7:21 AM
Cool on the work presentation! :cool:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-08 5:32 PM
generally yes. the hanson plan i followed last time had workouts on t/th but i found it better to have them on m/th with an extra day for recovery. if i was feeling tired or life was getting to me, i'd either cut back a bit on the workout or skip it. i did always like the hanson workouts though because while daunting they were never that fast so very doable. one was speed or strength and then one was marathon tempo. I like short speed workouts too on the track. i always find those easier than traditional tempo runs. i probably need the tempo runs more though as this weekend's race showed me. :roll:

today is day off from regular job. so i kept the same schedule and took a day off from running. My legs were still feeling a bit tired from this weekend's 4 mile race an then trails the following day. i'm out of trail shape but working on it! :grin: The pool deep water exercise class was good. he was having us do intervals. at one point, my mom said, "these are tiring!" and had to remind her that was the point! :laugh:

then we went with Dh's mom blueberry picking. It's still warm here (mid-80s) and we STILL have issues with smoke from canada but we felt we had to go and do this or we were going to miss the season. 50 minutes of driving. 40 minutes of picking and we got 16 pounds between 3 of us :shocker!::cool:. mom picked for 10 minutes and got a pound... they are delicious. 

bonus: i enjoy short track stuff and find tempo runs the hardest. i do enjoy speedwork. i find all easy runs mean i get slower and slower and start cutting runs short because i get bored. :roll:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-08 5:52 PM
Yum! Do you freeze the berries?

Also, this popped up in my inbox today, and I thought of you!

http://www.bonappetit.com/gallery/18-healthy-weeknight-dinner-recipes-that-dont-use-an-oven
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-09 8:59 AM
yes. i love blueberries in smoothies and i also add them to oatmeal.

thanks! udon noodles. i love noodle salads like that so will have to try that!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-08 6:57 PM
16 lbs!:shocker!: Yummo!:grin:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:29 PM
Wow, that is a lot of berries! Love summer blueberries.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-08 6:53 PM Edited 2017-08-08 6:55 PM
I have the same coach as BG, but even before, when I used a program, most had intervals on Tuesdays, Tempo on Thursdays, long run on Sundays, easy shorter miles on the other days, one rest day a week. I seem to be incapable of following a program to a T.:blush: My life gets in the way a lot and I often have to switch days around, and I don't know, maybe I just like to be contrary and not follow anything strictly, even a plan that I'm paying for.:roll::wtf: As Captain Jack Sparrow says, it's more of a guideline than a rule.: pbbt:

6 miles with 5 x .5 mile @ 8:00. Which according to the plan should have been 10 x .25 mile, but as I said, that's more of a guideline. I just like longer intervals more. Food just sucked today, I had a busy day and didn't have time for real meals, so it was protein bars all day.:meh: Blather: Brain dead, can't think of anything.

Bonus: Yes, when I follow a plan. Sometimes, when I train on my own. And never, if I'm not training for a marathon. I like speedwork when I finish, then I feel really good. But I usually dread starting it. I really hate short faster intervals, and like longer not quite so fast intervals, like I'd rather do 1 mile intervals than .25 mile intervals.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-08-08 7:55 PM
When I was training for times, I would do a speed workout and a tempo workout once each a week. I loved tempo training, especially on the treadmill. I hated speed work except for quarters for some reason, but I never did them since the distance was too short be add much benefit for marathon training.

Run: 3 mi
Food: a mish mosh of stuff since it was late and I have no kitchen and did not feel like going out.

Blather: So I have this patient who I don't really like too much. He's got a lot of medical problems for which he is on meds, but does absolutely nothing to try and take care of himself. I have a lot of folks like that, but his attitude is abysmal and he has an excuse for everything, and actually thinks I buy all his BS. He basically does nothing that I tell him, misses appointments and then comes in and I say the same stuff,order the same labs, we do the same paperwork and administrative stuff and he never gets around to it. Anyway, today he calls because he wants blood work because he is tired. No he hasn't come in for his appointments. No he hasn't done the labs to check his diabetes ordered 4 months ago. No he hasn't stopped smoking. I told him to come in and I would order the appropriate tests after I assess him. He calls back to say that if I can't work with him the way he wants, he may need to look for another doctor. I think he doesn't want to pay his co-pay or co-insurance. I think he thought I would say something to keep him, but since he hung up on my staff, I am taking the opportunity to justify my wishing him luck on his MD search and kicking him out of my practice. I doubt we will see the $300 back he owes us, but I feel so great about being able to divert my time and energy elsewhere. I feel somewhere I should feel bad about that, but I suspect I have become too cynical and respect his right to treat his body like crap elsewhere.

Bonus:Not anymore although I liked tempo training.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:24 PM
Sorry your patient is a deadbeat asshat.:sad:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:26 PM
Ugh! I can't imagine how frustrating that is.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:47 AM
I'm sorry about the patient, that has to be frustrating.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-09 7:23 AM
Your patient :roll:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Speedwork Tuesday