Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Tuesday NRR
- - By judyruns Date 2017-08-08 6:19 AM
Post. :happy:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-08-08 6:19 AM
Humorous thing...my inside garden has African Violets, Marantas and Spider Plants. The Spiders got 'way too big and are going outside. They had "children" so I put 2 pots down so they could take root over the last two weeks (one to each pot). A straggler started growing in that area and when I went to clip the 2 children from the parent plant, the 3rd one had actually sneaked in and rooted by itself into the pot. Paranormal activity. :laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 9:43 AM
Car registration is due today, had the car in for its smog check last week and it did not pass so needs some work. Doing it today but have had to pay the registration fees and will now need to wait until it passes its smog check before I get the sticker. Good thing it is not near the end of the month. Bah.

All our cars seem for some reason to have been purchased in the summer. Both my car and DD's renew on August 8 and the van on September 2nd. Not fun finding the $$ in the summer!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-08-08 10:26 AM
Sorry about all that.:sad:It's hard because you have to buy when you need the car. It's not as if you can wait to stretch them out.
When we moved to VA I can recall a whole list of things for one car that had to be done in exact order (including personal property tax, emissions test, getting a drivers license, the written AND driving test for same, etc.).
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-08 11:46 AM
that is interesting that you have to renew it based on purchased date - that would be hard to keep track of. Here it is the same time each year, based on last name.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:27 PM
Yes, it's the date the vehicle was originally registered with the DMV. Coincidence that two of our vehicles are on the same day.

So you have to register all of yours at once if you have multiple vehicles? Ouch. ($207 for DD's, $105 for mine, $109 for DS's, all within a 4 week period.)
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-08 1:19 PM
yep you pay it all at the same time. If you buy a different vehicle mid year then you pay the different or a pro-rata fee or something and then it falls into the annual renewal cycle based on name.
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:03 PM
Ours is by purchase date, too. I like that better than by name; if we went by name then all our cars would be due at the same time.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-08 2:07 PM
Our are done by the owner's birthday, which functions basically the same as basing it on last name except that the county sends you a "happy birthday,  you owe us money" bill.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-08-08 3:24 PM
This is also the MI way.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-09 7:54 AM
that would be easier to keep track of then purchase month for me
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-09 12:48 PM
The sticker saying the month registration expires is on the license plate, so it's not that difficult for me to keep track of. Also they send a letter about 2 months before the renewal is due. But I agree, birthday is easiest, you're not going to forget your own birthday!

For the registry by last name, I bet they hate the months when "M" and "S" are up.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-08-09 12:52 PM
The number of times I actually look at the back of my car is so rare though. I put a reminder in my phone and pray the email doesn't go to spam. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-09 12:56 PM
I look every so often because I've had the registration sticker stolen off my car before. I didn't realize it until I got a fix-it ticket and had to go to the DMV and get a replacement sticker (for a fee, of course) and then prove to the court that I had actually registered my car.

Now I score it with a sharp knife so it would be very difficult to peel it off the license plate without shredding it into tiny pieces.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-10 8:20 AM
that's what I'm thinking. Ours also has the month but I never look at my license plate
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-08 10:21 AM
This morning my boss announced to the broader org that we're moving our project management and tech writing group into my org.  It makes sense for a whole slew of reasons.  One peer of mine wasn't privy to the conversations leading up to this change and missed the leadership meeting where we talked about it.  His response today was basically "What makes you think you can run the team better than <insert our boss' name>?"  Asshole.  For starters, I have the TIME that he doesn't have.  To continue, been there, done that before.  The team is well oiled so it's really just steering a younger manager who thinks he's more experienced than he is.  And by the way, why don't you go fix the issues in your team instead of throwing a temper tantrum because you wanted to grow your fiefdom but weren't given the chance?

Had to go for a walk before I went on a table flipping tirade.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-08-08 11:16 AM
"table flipping tirade."

sounds like an office cross-fit exercise.  :laugh::wink:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-08 11:47 AM
what an A-hole
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:30 PM
So he is in a snit because he wasn't notified about it in advance and given the chance to argue for the group to be moved into his bailiwick rather than yours? Poor thing.

Translate "What makes you think you can run the team better than <insert our boss' name>?" to "What makes you think you can run the team better than <wonderful ME>?" and you probably have the truth of it.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-08 2:08 PM
Best wishes to Zipper today. :hug:
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2017-08-09 2:17 PM
Congrats, Zipper!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-09 4:04 PM
Both Zipper and T-Bone! :grin:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-09 4:29 PM
Yes, T-Bone as well, but I figured he was less likely to be hanging out on a women's running forum. :laugh:
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-08-09 5:32 PM
Ahhhhh! Congrats!
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2017-08-09 2:16 PM
Question for the gluten free forumites or forumites with gluten free family members (especially kids):

It looks like my 7-year old nephew is going to receive a diagnosis for Celiac disease. :sad: Blood test was positive and doctor saw signs during biopsy -- though official results won't be provided until next week. He actually hasn't had GI symptoms. The initial test was recommended because of recurring canker sores.

My nephew also happens to be visiting this coming weekend for the first time! A full diet change probably won't start until after the trip but I would feel bad selecting meal options that I know could be harming him. (My brother will also be there so at least I won't be the responsible adult. :wink:) Do any of the GF forumites have recommendations for cuisines that tend to be easier for finding GF options? Unrelated to the trip, does anyone have any resource recommendations (especially for kids) that I should share with my brother? Any favorite treats? Affordable products?

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-09 3:39 PM
AmyDel is GF, but she's also rather busy so isn't around too often.  Moonglow is another good source of information, but I haven't seen her around in a while.  Maybe gophergirl is around.  I know a bit about special diets, but not allergy- or Celiac-specific diets.  Given that he hasn't actually started a strict GF diet, I'd probably worry less about things like spices that might be cross-contaminated with gluten and focus more on not feeding him a steady diet of bread and pasta.  That said, GF products are becoming fairly mainstream so you can likely find GF bread and pasta at most grocery stores (though I have no idea what brands are good).  As a general rule for special diets, I find it helpful to think about what the person can eat.  There's all kinds of stuff that doesn't contain gluten: fruits, vegetables, meat, beans, dairy.  Of course there's the possibility of cross-contamination with just about anything, but if you're focusing on the confirmed presence of gluten then read labels.  There are a lot of mainstream foods (like most Chex cereals) that are GF.  As far as cuisines, I'd tend toward things like Mexican or Chinese, where it's easier to find stuff that is corn- or rice-based and doesn't need to do anything special to be GF.  People who actually know what they're talking about might be able to chime in with helpful information, but in the meantime Google can be a good resource: "GF kids" or "GF fast food," etc.

BTW, I will eventually get around to replying to your PM. :laugh:
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-08-09 3:49 PM
I'd agree with all this. But also note that GF versions of gluten-containing foods have to replace that gluten with something and it's not going to be very natural - so if he's young enough I'd recommend looking at a paleo style diet that simply removes wheat from consideration. I try to keep my wheat consumption to a minimum but not being coeliac I don't worry about small amounts, with that qualification I'd say Indian cuisine is a good place to start (minus the naan bread obviously!)
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2017-08-10 2:09 PM
Thanks, that's a good way of looking at it. I did hear from Moonglow, who had some helpful advice. :hug:

I'm sure there will be lots of Googling. :laugh: I just wanted to check in to see if any of our experts had some recommendations.

Don't worry - if I sent you a PM, I've already forgotten! :laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-09 4:22 PM
Not GF but I know a number of people who are.

Resources: Mexican food is often a good choice as long as they use corn tortillas rather than flour. I'd be wary of anything from wheat-growing areas: most of Europe, for instance. South Asian might work. Does everyone eat meat, poultry, and/or fish? Potatoes are a definite possibility. He may not be able to have chicken nuggets, for instance, or anything breaded, but he can have fries.

Treats: think meringues, almond cookies like macarons, fresh fruit, nuts. Find out what he likes to eat. Trader Joe's has a cauliflower pizza crust (freezer section) which you could use to make a pizza with his favourite toppings.

For quick & easy, tostadas: heat corn tortillas in the microwave for 2 minutes, turn over and heat another 2 minutes which will make them fairly crispy. Top with refried beans and cheese. Heat 2 minutes more. Add toppings like chopped tomatoes, olives, avocado, salsa, and/or sliced green onions, and serve.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2017-08-10 2:10 PM
Thank you! I want to eat that tostada now. :happy:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-08-09 7:34 PM
I did a quick search and found this in case you plan to eat out! I didn't look through the whole list, but I'm sure you could even find gluten free pizza where you are.

You should be able to find plenty of GF products in the grocery stores near you if you can get to a chain, Trader Joe's has a decent selection if I remember correctly. (I haven't been to one in a few years! They used to have these sesame/cashew butter things, I would call them tortillas sort of...I don't remember what they were called but OMG, they were so delicious but they discontinued them!)

I agree with a lot of the other recommendations. Personally, I prefer not to try to make a "gluten meal" GF by subbing in products though b/c they are usually sub par. In my opinion. I prefer to think no gluten from the beginning. Rice, rice noodles, etc. Many soy sauces have gluten though so keep an eye out. And I can't imagine a 7yo as being a super adventurous eater, knowing the kids that I do...although maybe!

I would hope the doc that gives him the diagnosis also refers him to a licensed dietician for counseling on what they need to do.
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2017-08-10 2:11 PM
Thanks! That's a good resource. My nephew is adventurous in some ways (even likes gefilte fish, which is gross!) but picky in others (doesn't like melted cheese). :shocker!:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-08-10 2:54 PM
What?! So he doesn't eat pizza??!!!
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2017-08-10 3:37 PM
He does but he picks off the cheese!
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-08-11 5:52 AM
Paleo diets are gluten-free so you can find recipes on paleo sites and all kinds of ideas. I do not use things marked "gluten-free" because heavens know what they put instead. I just eat other things that are naturally gluten-free. There is plenty of tasty food that is but it takes a while to adjust and find replacements for what you normally eat. Snacks is the hardest part but things like nuts and raisins are fine and of course fruit.

Wish the little guy the best of luck, he will feel so much better on a new diet if celiac is the case. :hug:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-08-12 4:42 AM
When the niece and nephew were diagnosed we got them this book, they liked it a lot!  https://www.amazon.com/Eating-Gluten-Free-Emily-Children-Disease/dp/1439212260  My niece goes to a gluten free session at her camp. A lot of gluten eaters do too, but it is great that the camp runs this session so she can meet other ciliac kids and be normalized with it.  She's 15 now and totally monitors herself.  The nephew is 11 and mostly monitors himself. He's more likely to be tempted by a gluten dessert!

They also bring their own cake to birthday parties.  Their dad calls ahead to ask what the treat is and then sends them with a similar match. They don't get a lot of sweets in general, so this still feels like a treat to them.  Both kids were diagnosed prior to their memory of gluten food.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 12:34 PM
Got reminded today that junior and senior high schools in our district go back on Thursday, our elementary district goes back next Monday.

When does school start in your area?
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:01 PM
August 17. We are early this year due to construction work on the school. Normally it's after Labor Day.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-08-08 2:47 PM
Short summer break this year?
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-08-08 3:15 PM
Yes. Short this fall so the kids finish in mid-May next spring, then they don't start again until mid-September a year from now. The contractors will thus have a ~ 4 month period with no students next summer.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 3:40 PM
That was the day DS's school started one year and he was mightily (and righteously) ticked off because August 17 is his birthday.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-08 1:20 PM
My niece started July 27th. She's in the same metro area as me but a different school district. My neighborhood started last Monday. The neighborhood I drive through for work starts Aug 15th I think.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 3:39 PM
Wow, July? That is REALLY early.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-08-09 7:53 AM
They do a balanced calendar which is not quite year round but you have a shorter summer, then 2 weeks for fall, long Christmas break, 2 weeks at spring break, etc
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-08 2:07 PM
Schools here started 02 August.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-08-08 2:25 PM
September 7th.  :cool:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-08-08 2:46 PM
Wow! Our district doesn't start until September 5
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-08 3:19 PM
When did you get out of school though?  Schools here were out before Memorial Day.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:12 PM
Early June, this summer June 8 was last day.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-08 9:00 PM
You do get a long break!  I mean, I remember having a fairly long summer holiday when I was a kid, but I think now the schools here have about two months in the summer and then some week-long breaks during the year.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-08-08 3:26 PM
August 28 I think? Always the Tuesday before Labor Day, a short 3 day week with Friday off. Then the 4 day Labor Day week before the first 5 day week. I like this system-sort of eases you into the back to school routine.:hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-08-08 8:13 PM
That's actually a good way to start. At least we get a 4 day first week but still a big adjustment.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-08-09 4:59 AM
I believe our SD starts the day after Labor Day but I am not sure since we don't attend. Our cyber school starts on the 6th this year of Sept and goes through 1st week of June. That said my kids are usually done with all school work in May.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-09 8:21 AM
Aug 2nd.  :D
Up Topic Communities / Women / Tuesday NRR