Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / About time for a GoT thread with spoilers
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-07 8:55 PM
Holy crap was last night's episode amazing?! Dragon fire, Stark kids, Brienne, Theon, Littlefinger, maybe the death of Jaime and Bronn, semi-alliance between Dany and Jon, and so much more.

We watched Dunkirk on IMAX in the afternoon and after GoT were completely spent. That might be my favorite GoT episode yet although there have been other great ones. What say you how the series is winding down/up?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-08-08 4:40 AM
The main characters are all gathering. Very cool to see that happening.

I'm impressed with Bronn's leap. He would have had to jump over a galloping horse, timed just right to push Jaime into the water.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 10:36 AM
I'm impressed they are able to move armies faster than I can at RISK : pbbt:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-08 5:30 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-08 5:17 PM
Yeah I'm liking the get-togethers too. Some reuniting and some first-time meetings but all very cool.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-08-08 6:03 AM
Skeletor is my favorite character.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-08-08 6:12 AM Edited 2017-08-08 6:15 AM
I prefer Nathan Brazil.

Although Skeletor is funny
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-08-08 6:32 AM
Until Sunday's episode I was tired of the show a bit. You'd get characters you like, here is 5 minutes of them over the course of 5 shows, and now they lost and are gone. I get the idea, but it's just redundant at this time. Sunday was good, though no way the scorpion is ever going to be accurate enough to actually hit a flying dragon. The cliffhanger was dumb as well because we know it's not the end.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 10:37 AM
But are they going to be captured or not :wtf:
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-08 10:56 AM

> Until Sunday's episode I was tired of the show a bit.

Same. For the first time since starting it, I contemplated not watching it anymore. In Euron, they've recycled the psychopathic demon character arc one time too many. If he develops the way he appears to be, then it's some seriously lazy-ass writing.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-08-08 11:44 AM
Y'all would really hate watching soap operas. They recycle plots for DECADES.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-08-09 3:38 PM
Haha I was flipping channels yesterday and landed on Days of our lives and the TV guide description said "Marlena breaks up with John" my god they did that 10 times over when I was watching it 20yrs ago :laugh:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-08-08 3:49 PM
But he does have some pretty funny lines. :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-08 7:20 AM
Yes, pretty amazing episode. You sort of knew it was coming when Tyrion told Theon, well Dany is not here at the moment. Sort of funny how Tyrion transported himself so quickly to Westeros to see the final part of the battle. That's at least 2 chapters in the book that has yet to be finished!

Thought the dragons would be used first against the white walkers but I guess this makes sense. They will eventually toast a lot of white walkers I believe. Trying to figure out what Cersei and Qyburn have up there sleeve next. They always seem to find a way to turn the tables in their favor.

The show is moving rapidly now. Seems there is a battle nearly every week. Less talk more action. Maybe the wrap of the show will spur George Martin to finish the damn books, so we can find out how Brienne gets away from the tree she is hanging on, how Tyrion not Jorah Mormant recovers from the grey scale, and other oddities.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 10:39 AM

> Sort of funny how Tyrion transported himself so quickly to Westeros to see the final part of the battle.

He took a dragon :shocker!:
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-08 10:49 AM

> Sort of funny how Tyrion transported himself so quickly to Westeros

A great feature of the GOT universe is the ready availability of wormholes to quickly transport characters vast distances in service of subplots. Funny that some of us have more trouble with this departure from realism while we happily accept dragons and ice zombies with supernatural powers. (Having just now typed that sentence, I will force myself to accept the wormholes.) I am also puzzled/disturbed by Varys's deep tan this season. It appears to be permanent.

> Trying to figure out what Cersei and Qyburn have up there sleeve next.

Given how satisfying this episode was in advancing the cause of the good guys, I think we should expect to see Cersei, Qyburn, and Euron have some evil victory that will break everyone's hearts. I bet my left testicle they kill off another beloved character next week.

I also predict George Martin will not produce another book in the series. The show has taken over and gotten so far ahead of him, he's faced with following the show's narrative in a hollow echo or inventing a new narrative that will struggle to compete with the one firmly established by the show. A lot of the audience has never read the books, but I doubt many who've read the books aren't following the show. Martin put himself in a corner with the interminable delays on the next book.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-08-08 11:11 AM
I think you're right about no more books.  And now you've put me in the perverse position of hoping you're right about them killing off a beloved character, because I kind of prefer you with two testicles. :shocker!:

Another incongruity: anyone else notice how primitive most of the cave drawings looked but then the white walkers were perfectly rendered, and with bright blue eyes?  They didn't need to do that. :roll:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:06 PM
I've read the books and I'm not watching the show.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-08 1:11 PM
I doubt many who've read the books aren't following the show.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:13 PM
Thank you. Missed the "m". :blush:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 1:54 PM
actually, I just spoke to a friend who stopped watching the show after it forked from the books.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-08 5:30 PM
I like to read books before watching a show/movie, and did read the first three books before catching up on the show. But this is like a train on its own track now, and I'm not jumping off.
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-09 10:58 AM
There are a few books that, if they were made into movies, I might not go to see. And of those I would see, I'd keep myself on a short leash. With rare exception TV and movies have to change things, and there are some books I'd have a hard time seeing changed.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-08 5:23 PM
Yeah I'm really interested to see how Cersei will bounce back again. She always does.

Martin of course was supposed to finish the last book last year, then again by this past spring. Not sure what his problem is, although I understand he's collaborating on the writing for HBO.
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-08-08 9:48 AM
what's GoT? :wtf:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-08 5:13 PM
:roll:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-08-09 11:53 AM
seriously. no clue.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 10:35 AM
I was going to start a thread as well :laugh:

- "I'm going to fight for you in the North"  :grin::cool:
- "... If you bend the knee." :meh::roll:

- "chaos is a ladder" :shocker!::evil:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 10:50 AM
Also...

"Who taught you that?"
- "No One" :roll:
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-08 10:57 AM
Arya is the highlight of the show (for me).
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-08-08 11:12 AM
Perhaps she'll kill Little Finger.  I'll jump for joy if that happens.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-08 5:13 PM
My favorite line of the show was, "You need better guards.":laugh:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 5:15 PM
also a good one :happy:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-08-08 5:24 PM
BURN!
Parent - By gottarungirl Date 2017-08-15 9:09 PM
yes
Parent - By gottarungirl Date 2017-08-15 9:09 PM
Me too.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-08-08 11:19 AM
I don't care that it's technically incest, I want Jon and Dany to get it on.  Seems the way they're headed, and a romantic alliance seems the best/only solution to their current bend-the-knee impasse.  Besides, the Targaeryens were known for incest, right?  Hasn't that been established, either in the books or the series?

I freaking loved the battle scene, loved seeing Dany ride Drogon and seeing the Lannisters get slaughtered.  I was sure Jaime was going to get burnt up, and I teared up big time.  I predict he'll be taken prisoner again and have some kind of rapprochement with Tyrion ... which may lead him to FINALLY turn his back on Cersei.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-08 11:29 AM

> ... may lead him to FINALLY turn his back on Cersei.

He appears to have serious doubts about Cersei's actions, further establishing his good-but-conflicted guy status. It does seem the show is building towards Jaime having to make a choice. I don't believe Cersei would hesitate to kill him if she doubted his loyalty.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-08 1:08 PM
I don't think there's anyone Cersei would hesitate to kill if the person was inconveniencing her, let alone standing in her way.
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-09 11:03 AM
Agreed.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-09 4:46 PM
Hah, I agree too. Her humanity only ever surfaced in her own shame, or loss of something or someone close to her.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-08 1:53 PM

> some kind of rapprochement with Tyrion

Jamie helped Tyrion escape King's Landing though ... I don't think he'll return the favor.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-09 11:02 AM
Every hero has a weakness that can undo him. To the extent Tyrion is one of the show's heroes, I expect his weakness is the one family member who ever treated him with any kindness. I think Tyrion would save Jaime -- regardless of what he thought Jaime's next move would be -- and I can imagine it being the thing that gets him killed.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-09 4:42 PM
Good thoughts about heroes and Tyrion/Jaime and I can imagine that result too. To carry it one step further, Jaime to the extent that he's now a hero has his sister as his achilles heel/weakness more than his missing sword hand. I can envision a tragic ending to the Lannisters involving the three of them.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-08-15 10:52 AM
Bend the knee indeed :mischief::wtf:
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-08-15 10:51 AM
I am starting to wonder if Littlefinger will broker some kind of alliance between Cersei and Sansa at some point that is going to complicate the living vs. dead narrative in the last season.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-15 1:20 PM
I see this happening. She is one of the most interesting character arcs in the whole series. Jon remains Jon. I don't think he's learned anything, at least nothing that changed him much. Arya has become a more focused version of herself. Sansa is an entirely different and much more cynical character now. Cersei's probably capable of having Jaime killed if he starts to really get in her way. If it comes to that, I don't think Cersei would be at all bothered. I can see Sansa getting to a similar point where she'd give Jon up, with the only real difference being she'd feel bad about it.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-15 8:17 PM
They've been leading to it, but I can't see Sansa giving up Jon.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-16 10:48 AM
I don't think she'd see it as giving up Jon, but rather Jon pursuing some idealistic fool's errand and, having tried to counsel him otherwise on several previous occasions, deciding to let him go. I think Sansa learned a lot of painful lessons and will put them all to use ensuring her own security. (I don't believe she's motivated primarily by a desire for power, as has been hinted.) Realpolitik.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-16 11:36 AM
Jon really wants to beat the white walkers, he's been named King of the North against his will really.
So I don't think he's that hung on being the King.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-16 11:47 AM
I'm not suggesting that Jon is ambitious. The only thing he ever wanted that I could tell was to be a legitimate son, to know something about his mother. Jon sees the danger coming from the north and rightfully recognizes the larger need of all the warring factions to set aside those differences and meet the threat.

Jon's strength is also his weakness. He is an idealist, unrelentingly honorable, like Eddard. Though he sometimes recognizes the hazards of following his principles (allying with the Wildlings at Castle Black), he often doesn't (charging at Ramsay after Sansa warned him he'd be manipulated into exactly that kind of trap.)

I'm not predicting it will happen, but I won't be surprised if in the expected culling of major characters, Jon dies (again) because he did the hopelessly honorable thing, like his dad/uncle.
Parent - By gottarungirl Date 2017-08-16 7:59 PM
noooooooooooooooooo   :cry::cry:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-15 8:15 PM
Littlefinger definitely remains the X factor, like he has through the books and the series. I can't see him brokering an alliance between Cersei and Sansa, though. Despite her differences with Jon, Sansa is and always be a Stark and part of the North.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-16 8:04 AM
I am sorry, but if Sansa allies with Cersei the show has completely jumped the shark. The things Cersei and the Lannister's (other than Tyrion) did to Sansa in King's Landing were beyond awful. Littlefinger just sees his usefulness in jeopardy, and is stirring the pot so to speak as he always does.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-08-16 11:00 AM
I'm sure Sansa will always hate Cersei, but she has certainly learned about ruthlessness and alliances of convenience over the years, so I could see her being susceptible to a temporary alliance that she sees as clearing the way for her to take a bigger place on the stage than she could ever have under Queen Dany.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-16 11:11 AM
Littlefinger gave Sansa to Ramsay knowing she'd be badly abused (though possibly not to the extent she was), and she knows it, yet she has been perfectly willing to ally with him to achieve her own ends. She is openly contemptuous of him, and this doesn't deter him in the slightest. He may even admire her pragmatism as a teacher would a student. The "game" of the title seems to be a race between those who think they can achieve a lasting victory without compromising their principles and those who readily accept that it isn't possible to survive while adhering to any kind of moral code. Sansa is currently moving toward the latter category. Maybe she'll pull back, but that's where she's headed. Doesn't make her evil like Cersei, just painfully, if understandably cynical.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-16 8:14 PM
I gather that you don't like Sansa. :wink: I'm giving the spoiled abused brat a chance to do the right thing when it counts. :hug: (We're actually pretty much on the same page about her...she's definitely not evil but also of course not pure and naive any more, kind of on the fulcrum's edge. I think she'll be back on the side of good at the end because it would be a horrible message if she turns to the dark side after what she's endured after where she started from. She just doesn't have that innate flaw fitting the archetype of the fallen hero because she never wanted power but rather just wanted to be pretty and popular. I'm guessing and hoping that she'll wind up popular and powerful, but without compromising her goodness.)
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-17 11:51 AM
I don't dislike her. I'm impressed by Sansa, and I think she's one of the best, most dramatically developed character in the series. There's more tension in what she'll do next, and that's riveting.

I don't believe being pretty and popular has been a concern of hers since season 2. Since then, being alive and unraped seems to be the operating concern.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-17 10:41 PM
Points well-taken.

I was going to agree that she's developed more than anyone in the story but then remembered her sister. And Jaime. And Tyrion. And Theon. And Dany. And The Hound. And many more...it's so cool how the characters have developed and continue to evolve. But like you suggest, Sansa might be the most enigmatic especially opposed to the straight-line ones like Jon Snow or Cersei, The conclusion of this is going to be so much fun.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-16 11:40 AM
I wonder why they didn't look for some kind of poison to get rid of the Dragons?
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-16 11:49 AM
Like a couple of gallons of anti-freeze pumped into an unsuspecting sheep.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-16 12:07 PM
exactly :laugh:

Also, Tyrion and Ser Davos get on land "unseen" at King's Landing in a jiffy and easily enter the castle through a backdoor.
Why can't they just sneak in and do whatever they need to do ( eliminate Cersei for example) :wtf:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-08-16 12:12 PM
I think they're waiting till they have the captured ice zombie to sneak up the secret stairs with the ice zombie so that they can surprise Cersei with the ice zombie and then she'll say "oh it is an ice zombie I guess I better join up with the Dragons to fight the army of the dead."  It's one of these intricate plotting moves that makes this show so sophisticated.  :cool:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-08-16 12:33 PM
In the GOT for dummies book, Dany and Jon have a bit more common sense and instead of attempting alliances with their enemies, risky escapades of capturing ice zombies, and time consuming mining of dragon glass, they smack themselves on the head, and say "Duh, Zombies no like fire. We ride our dragons and burn them from the sky." This will come to pass eventually but we need some suspense, carnage, and more dead people first.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-08-16 3:07 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-08-16 8:17 PM
:laugh: Hey quit un-suspending my belief!:mutmad:
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-08-16 12:13 PM
Why didn't the eagles fly Frodo and Sam to Mount Doom in Chapter 1? Selfish fucking birds.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-08-16 12:14 PM
:laugh:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / About time for a GoT thread with spoilers