Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR
- - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-04 9:27 AM
No creative juices here today
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-08-04 9:27 AM
Is there a RR yet for Friday?? I don't see it. :sad:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-04 10:56 AM
Gearing up to battle a couple of teachers at the school.  Hoping just getting the administration involved will solve the issue.  DS1 needs to put on weight, mandated by his pediatrician or we have to stop his ADHD meds.  He got his schedule Wednesday for this year, and his lunch isn't until 2pm.  School starts at 8am, he usually eats breakfast at 7am.  That's too long for him to go without eating.  I requested that he be allowed to eat a small snack like a bar of some sort between his second and third periods.  Neither teacher is agreeable.  One says it's too disruptive.  The other is holding to the new school policy of no food in the classrooms (which I understand completely, kids are gross with food).  I really don't want to get the admin team involved because I don't want to breed that animosity that happens when they overrule the teachers, but I have to protect DS1 too.  Bleah.
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-08-04 11:00 AM
Check with the nurse. Maybe he could stop in at her office and eat a snack there before going on to his next class and she/he could provide a note. Maybe then the teacher will see it is easier having him there in class with the snack than coming in a few minutes late.
BTW, I find that incredibly ridiculous. When my class has lunch at 12:30, I tell them it is OK to have a snack at the beginning during our warm-up b/c um....I need a snack too! And I don't want to be a hypocrite eating while they can't.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-04 11:30 AM
The nurse is a great idea!  Thanks!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-08-04 11:10 AM
That's ridiculous!! Can he eat in the hallway, or is there rules against that?  What does the school do with diabetic kids?
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-04 11:30 AM
Eating in the hallway will get him detention.

No idea on diabetic kids, but I will ask the nurse.
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-08-04 11:34 AM
Go through the nurse since this is a health-related issue. My guess is that they will have him stop by her office to eat the snack.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-08-04 11:51 AM
Uh, if it's a medical necessity wouldn't they HAVE to comply? If both teachers won't comply you have to get the administration involved. I would think, though I like the idea posted above by the nurse, that this option would get old real quick and wouldn't him entering class late every day also be just as disruptive as having a snack? FWIW, how long are the passing periods and could he eat something on his way from one class to another? Also who the heck thought a 2 pm lunch was a good plan when they start school that early :shocker!: That's insane!
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-04 12:07 PM
I don't currently have a doctor's note in hand; that's my fault and might have avoided the issue altogether if I had.  I didn't know they added a no food in classrooms rule this year; I did not anticipate this being an issue at all. 

The nurse's office is on the first floor, all of DS's classes are on the third floor.  He'd definitely be late to the next class if we go that route.

They cannot eat in the halls - automatic detention.  And I understand not wanting to grant that as an exception because it could get dicey quickly. 

The 8th graders eat at 2:30 with a 3:20 dismissal.  That's the problem with 9 grades and one cafeteria.  Kindergarteners eat at like 10:30am
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-08-04 12:52 PM
That is insane. Lunch at 2:30 when the kids probably mostly eat around 7?! Are the teachers really going that long without eating too? How in the world can anyone concentrate at that point?
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-04 12:59 PM
A bunch of the teachers drink protein shakes because they can have drinks in the rooms.  The kids are allowed to carry water bottles with them (but most don't because the only time the upper grades can use the restroom is between classes or at lunch and there isn't really time)
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-08-04 2:56 PM
would a protein shake be an option for DS?
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-08-04 2:55 PM
it's not that weird.   Big schools often have lunch schedules that can start as early as 9:40 or as late as 2:00.  (for a school that starts at 8:00 am.)
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-08-04 4:08 PM
I guess I'm used to small town living! The earliest I know of any school lunches around here is 10:40 and the latest is 1:00.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-08-04 5:21 PM
Yup. Here too.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-04 6:37 PM
That seems a bit insane.  I mean, I know that schools are doing the best they can with limited resources and there's only so many kids they can get into the cafeteria at a time, but getting to school at 8 and not having anything to eat after 10am or nothing before 2pm is rough.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-07 11:50 AM
Why do we think it's OK to put growing children on that type of schedule when adults would kick up an almighty fuss if work tried to mandate that kind of meal period? I know people on odd shifts can have meals at weird times (ie DSBF who may work 2 AM - 8:30 AM and have a "lunch" break at 5 AM) but for an 8 AM start no way would working adults accept no break until 2 PM.

I remember a 12-15 minute "nutrition" break between 2nd and 3rd periods for all students in both middle and high school, they don't do that anymore?
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2017-08-04 12:54 PM
Wow, that's way too long between meals without a snack! I would have struggled with that as a kid (and definitely would as an adult).
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-04 1:00 PM
I'd gnaw someone's arm off if I had to go that long.  Last year the kids on either end of the schedule were allowed a morning or afternoon snack.  But this year they're saying no eating in the classrooms.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-08-04 2:00 PM
:mutmad:  When I get hungry, I just start thinking about food.  Nothing else.  Just food.  So my grades would have really suffered under these rules.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-08-04 4:40 PM
That is ridiculous amount of time to wait for lunch! What time is school done?
Agree with the nurse, I have written notes for kids to have a snack at school.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-08-04 6:05 PM
sucks to have to get a doctor's note - but if you do, I'm sure the school can't object (well, they can fuss, but they still have to let him eat.)

Surprised more schools don't still have snack time in the upper grades in cases like this.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR