Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / what's cooking Thursday daily
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 12:34 PM
Actually, my question is what's cooking when you don't want to cook because it's too hot?! What are some go to meals you plan during the summer when the kitchen is 90 degrees and you don't really like lettuce based salads.

are you cooking up a fantastic workout? tell us about it and any other blather.

bonus: how do you rate your cooking skills?
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 12:39 PM
We usually do burritos for dinner when it's really hot. Sometimes we'll grill but most often i like roasted potatoes when we've grilled something so we end up using both the grill outside and the oven inside. :roll::blush: I need more ideas!  :grin:

I ran 5 miles this morning. Smoke from multiple fires in canada has been drifting to our area and the air is seriously murky and unhealthy. I was fine for 5 but that was enough. we've switched our group run that is normally thursday evening to a deep water lake run!  :laugh: I'm looking forward to it as it's supposed to be in low 90s today.  we'll do intervals.

bonus: i'd call them above average but i'm not great at just pulling a meal together randomly. i have to plan everything hence why it can be difficult to figure out spur of the moment meals.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-03 1:08 PM
Cold soups! Summer is the perfect time for gazpacho. Add a baguette and maybe some wedges of cheese (If you ever go to Whole Foods, I go to that odds-and-ends cheese basket a lot)

That smoke situation sounds lousy, but the deep water lake run sounds amazing!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:03 PM
i'm not sure cold soup  it would be filling enough. :blush::laugh: but i will have to try it. And that odds and ends cheese basket is my favorite!  :cool:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-04 5:15 AM
I hear you on the cold soup. Another thing I forgot to mention yesterday that I do all the time is poach chicken. It's low maintenance, it doesn't heat up the kitchen, and you can take warm/cold chicken and cube it into soups, grain salads, or make chicken salad
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-03 2:10 PM
I posted below, but quinoa salads. Just make a bunch of the quinoa in advance and put it in the in the fridge to mix with other stuff.

Ugh, that air quality sounds terrible.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:05 PM
i wish i like quinoa more.  :blush: but i really do like faro and that sort of grain.

it's really awful but only supposed to last through saturday am. i am doing a short race that morning though so hoping the air will be clearing out.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-08-03 1:01 PM
It's never 90 degrees in our kitchen unless the AC is broken :roll:  However, to keep oven heat out of the kitchen, grilling in the backyard (in the 90 degree heat) is an alternative.

Lazy morning for me.  Slept late because we were out late last night.  Our nephew & his DW & DS (they live in the Richmond, VA area) are in South Philly visiting his aunt (S-I-L for us...DW's brother's wife's sister).  So me, DW, DD and her DH hung out with them until almost 11pm last night. 

I "Cooked up" tonight's workout last weekend & it will be an "encore" of yesterday morning's cycling class.  I'll have different ones for Mon & Wed mornings and typically use whichever one I like better for Thurs evening class. 

Bonus:  Fair but I can follow directions (aka a recipe) pretty well.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-03 2:14 PM
sounds like a fun night!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:05 PM
lazy morning sounded perfect after that fun evening!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-03 1:05 PM
When it's too hot, I do no-cook meals. I like tomato, cucumber, feta salads a lot, and also corn-based salads (I actually just use raw corn - I think it tastes better and never gets soggy). Other times, I'll do meals that require a minimal amount of cooking, like eggs. It's also really easy to throw together a blender gazpacho. We also grill, which is kind of ironic, considering standing over a grill is a guaranteed sweatfest, but it does prevent the kitchen from getting too hot.

Workout wasn't really that fantastic, but I was happy to be outside. 4 miles - roughly 50/50 walk/run. Speaking of so-so meals, my sister made a carrot fettuccini last night. I didn't have any then, but I took some leftovers today, and... it was gross :cry: It was like raw carrots with tomato sauce?! I think maybe creating thicker ribbons of carrots and lightly broiling them and then sauteeing them in some kind of butter sauce with some veggies would be good.

Other blather: I am dealing with gestational diabetes and it is such a buzzkill pain in the ass. On the positive side, I am learning a lot about the types of foods that spike my blood sugar, but it kind of sucks to be dealing with this. Watermelon, which I LOVE eating in the summer, is one of the worst things for me, apparently. If I eat it at the end of a high protein/fat meal, that is ok, but my standard practice of coming in from a morning run and slurping down a few ice cold pieces before my shower is a no-go. I'm just going to start lying on my report sheets :roll:

On the plus side, my boss is out on vacation this week, and I got so much done this week and even got ahead of a larger meeting in a few weeks for which I needed to make slides. I am usually a procrastinator, so maybe I'm turning over a new leaf :roll:

Bonus: Above average. I don't cook very often because of time, but I used to love to do weekend cooking projects.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-03 2:15 PM
raw carrots I like, tomato sauce I like. Not together.

sorry about the gestational diabetes. How much longer do you have?
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-04 5:24 AM
Seven and half weeks, but who's counting? I am over being pregnant, but I am also a bit anxious about having a newborn and a 3 year old (who will only be doing half-day preschool). I didn't have the easiest time the first time around in the beginning.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-04 5:37 AM
the newborn phase is tough.
why will 3 year old be in half day? Is that just when you are home on FMLA?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:06 PM
i'm intrigued by using raw corn. actually we always have frozen corn around so could definitely add that.  i have eggs for breakfast every morning so yeah, that's out for dinner.

that is very disappointing about watermelon! and very interesting too.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-03 6:08 PM
Yeah, carrots and tomato sauce are not an appealing combination.:cry:

Report sheets? You have to log what you eat for what, a dietician or something? Did you have the gestational diabetes with your first pregnancy?
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-04 5:18 AM
Not what I eat, but my blood sugar readings -- fasting, and 2 hours after every meal. I have a handy glucometer that I cart along with me. Ironically, they don't seem to care what I eat -- I feel like I could literally eat pork rinds dipped in cheez whiz -- as long as my readings are ok :roll:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-08-03 1:08 PM
I like using the crockpot in the summer when I can. Also, even though the oven is hot, I am happy baking things so I don't have to slave over a hot stove. So usually it's baked chicken with some sort of baked veg. Or we order out from the Italian place down the street like we did last week, they have an awesome grilled chicken wrap.

My workout will be a 25 min tempo run @8:53 with 1 mi w/u and c/d. I need to run off some steam, stupid work stress is killing me this week.

Blather: Work people. :roll: :mutmad: :meh:

Bonus: I'm a decent cook. I have a few specialties and I like trying new recipes when I can.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-03 1:15 PM
Crockpot is such a good idea.

Work people :meh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:07 PM
i hope the de-steam run worked!  :laugh:

yeah, we have a crockpot but it still sounds hot.  :blush::laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-03 6:10 PM
Love the crockpot! I just made chicken tanginess with boneless skinless chicken thighs, dried apricots and almonds, chicken broth, spices... so easy and it came out well.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-03 2:07 PM
I do like big green salads, but for me, a grain based salad is almost as good. Rice salad, quinoa salad, farrow salad. You still need to cook the grain, but that can be done in advance and you don't need to be on top of it monitoring it while it cooks. When I make a quinoa salad I usually make the quinoa early in the day (you could easily do it in the morning) then assemble for dinner. We just made one with a curry/lemon dressing that had chickpeas, red onions, tomato and peach.
We really like fattoush salads.
I would be remiss if I didn't also mention the pasta salad that N made this week, a recipe from High-five magazine :laugh:. It was a penne pasta salad with pesto, lemon, mayo peas, cherry tomato and corn. Indie-we used carrot pesto for this.

workout was 7.25 miles. 75* and 80% humidity felt great

Blather I have just been so busy lately. This is week 7 of 8 of N having swim 4 nights a week from 6:45-7:15. I am burned out!

Bonus I'm good! My big problem is I get bored eating the same thing over and over so I am always looking for something new to try.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:09 PM
yeah, i 'm going to have to look up more cold grain type salads. i also really like cold noodle salads but can't seem to put it together for dinner.  :wtf: i've never heard of fattoush salad so will definitely have to try that. that one that anu posted about bread salads sounded wonderful too. 

I love that N is starting to cook too!  :grin:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-03 5:53 PM
I still make that quinoa black bean salad all the time! Love it!
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-08-03 2:09 PM
I ran again after a month off for my injured toe so I might as well post about it. I ran 2 miles yesterday and 2 miles again today. It went better than I expected. No pain from my toe and I didn't have to do short run/walk segments like I thought I would. I just ran continuously, and very slowly.

We also will grill if it's too hot but I've also been known to boil pasta and roast vegetables in the oven. Because I'm dumb like that.

No cooking today. Me and the kids are going to a BBQ hosted by our township's democratic group. Our US congress rep will be there as will a bunch of candidates for local offices, including school board. I'm not sure exactly what I'll say if I get to talk to them but I have some topics in mind and the more I do stuff like this the more comfortable I get and the more I understand how the process works. Having the kids with me will be a good experience for them, too, and if I'm going to talk about my views on healthcare reform (and school concerns) in light of Shawn's health issues, having Shawn with me will be even better.

Bonus: Depends. I'd say on the upper end of average for lots of things. I have a lot to learn, though, and miss when I had the time to play around with it.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-08-03 2:16 PM
Good luck tonight. I think your voice, and your experience are really valuable.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:10 PM
good for you for getting out there and making your voice heard. I think it's great for the whole family.

glad the toe is healed!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-03 5:52 PM
I hope you get the rep's ear!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-08-03 2:29 PM
My wife makes chicken salad which is one of my favorite hot weather meals. I don't mind grilling in the heat because the grill is on the shady side of the house so is never too hot and I can just pop in and out to check on things.

We cooked up a good workout on our hilly Alps course. I did it last week so had a little head start on the other two guys but it was better today because it was a little cooler than last week. One of the guys is an engineer and charted out each of the 6 hills we run and calculated the climb and slope of each. Turns out the one that kicks our butts at the end is a 17% grade so no wonder it's so hard! 6 miles overall.

Bonus: I'm above average for males. I spent a number of years working in a high class restaurant and one summer I worked in the kitchen and learned some neat stuff.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 5:11 PM
ya see i don't mind grilling either because DH grills. :laugh::grin:

ooh, i've always wanted to do that for some hills. at one point,  i'd found a website that would let you do it.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-03 5:49 PM
Chicken salad is a big fave in our house too. I like it with curry powder, apple and grapes.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-04 6:15 AM
Yes. Exactly this way. :cool:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-08-03 5:46 PM
Oh, there are lots of stuff I make in the summer that doesn't require a lot of cooking on the stove/oven, which makes the house so much hotter.:meh: Tuna, crab, or chicken (all from cans) salad (on bread or crackers or nothing), fruit salad drenched in liquor and chilled, bean salad, cereal, fresh mozzarella and tomato sandwiches on good Italian bread. Sometimes it's so hot we just have snack dinner, which is usually cheese and crackers, beer or wine, and fruit. Philip likes eggs, and they only take a few minutes on the stove, so he'll make omelettes or scrambled eggs sometimes, but I don't like the clean up when it's really hot.:roll:

I did have a fantastic workout this morning! 7 miles with 2 x 2 at MP, then upper body weights. Blather: the last few weeks have just been a whirlwind, I really need it to stop. The week traveling to Savannah and back kind of threw me off, and I was starting to get it back by last Friday when I learned that a friend and her 80-year-old mom would be visiting on Monday- so massive house cleaning, picked them up Monday night, did the whole tourist thing in NYC on Tuesday- Statue of Liberty boat tour, financial district, dinner at the old tavern where George Washington said goodbye to his officers after the Revolutionary War (very cool), saw the museum at the tavern which had one of GW's tooth and a lock of his hair (kind of creepy), got home late, didn't run Tuesday or yesterday, took my Dutch friends to the airport to go to Buffalo, turns out their flight was canceled last night because of storms, they missed the flight they were rescheduled on (:roll:), and might be out on a flight tonight at 8pm. If they don't get on that 8pm flight, they will end up on the same flight to Buffalo tomorrow morning that I will be on. I never told them I was going to Buffalo. Things could be awkward.: pbbt:

Bonus: My baking skills are much better, and I do suck at grilling, but otherwise I'm competent.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-08-03 9:19 PM
i can't do just snacky stuff like that. i need a planned meal to feel full with protein/vedge/carb.  :difficult:

the only way our house gets cleaned deeply is when we have people over. i love it and hate it! :laugh::blush:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-08-04 6:15 AM
:laugh::laugh:

SO awkward if you didn't tell them you were traveling to Buffalo! I hope they are able to get out.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / what's cooking Thursday daily