Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Throw it out there Thursday (daily stuff)
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-03 5:59 AM
Please don't be shy.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-03 6:08 AM
Our speed training group met in conjunction with Wednesday social group because we were doing a tempo run and not track work. I warmed up .68 miles beforehand and then hit my tempo pace 8:44 for the next two miles. It wasn't quite perfect since the first mile was too fast and the 2nd mile was too slow, but I'll take it. Next two miles were at a comfortable pace (rather than comfortably hard pace) then cool down. It was in the 80s so I felt good about my ability to stay on pace. They are predicting cooler temps (low 60s) for the 5K on Saturday  and the course is flat. I am taking the next two days off since last  nights run went well so we'll see.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-08-03 11:41 AM
Good luck with the 5k - low 60s sounds amazing weather for it :hug:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-08-03 6:44 AM
School is back in session, which means morning traffic has increased exponentially. :meh:  It's also back to being warm and very humid.  I ran 5+ this morning and survived, but it wasn't a great run.

Sis and BIL are leaving this morning for a couple of days away.  They're leaving the kids here...
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-03 9:41 AM
:meh:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-08-03 11:41 AM
I think you need a spa weekend, or hiking weekend, or basically any kind of weekend that involves not being in the house :meh:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-03 2:19 PM
Sis and BIL will be back on Saturday.  It's nice that they are able to get away for a couple of days because I think last time they had any time alone together was before the 18-month-old was born.  That said, small kids are exhausting. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-03 9:24 PM
Assuming you will babysit?

Your family takes you for granted and they shouldn't.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-08-03 8:12 AM
got out there, but not much happened.

Attempted a couple chinups, then went to run.   I got 3 steps and my right leg siezed up and crumpled.    I walked about a block and tried again, same thing.  :wtf:

Walked 2 miles, but running just wasn't happening.   ick. : pbbt:    Will try again tonight in the hopes that I just wacked something in my back and that it will resolve itself.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-03 9:42 AM
I hope it's just a muscle cramp.:cry:
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-08-03 11:42 AM
Ouch. Hope it was a fluke issue that resolves itself :sad:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-03 8:15 AM
Trainer this morning.  Abs and back.  I'm getting closer and closer to being able to do one real push up.  The bar is low, but at least I'm making progress towards it.  Knee feels a lot better today.  I can still feel a twinge when I bend it, so I'm going to hold off on the bike again tomorrow.  I think I'll be good to go after that.  Time will tell.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-08-03 9:43 AM
I hope ypu are on the mend.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-08-03 11:43 AM
Yeah for less painful knee - hopefully after the weekend you'll be back to bike commuting
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-08-03 8:15 AM
Last night I slipped down two stairs, so left knee (the better one) bent too much; the right knee got a jolt from landing hard.  :cry::cry:  I'm very upset about going backwards.  Lots of weird pain, more swelling, and so I only slept 2 hours.  I can walk around the house OK though.  I guess people fall ON to their new knees.  It's all very scary and upsetting.  But, I don't think it got very damaged.  It was our anniversary, so after dinner out, I was going to the basement to get a dark chocolate sea salt caramel, and was wearing jeans that were too long by a bit, so I slipped.  So, not a good ending to the anniversary.  It may have strained a muscle in the left leg; I'm just not sure.  Staying home from work since the garage door also broke yesterday and I'd rather take a nap...
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-08-03 11:43 AM
:cry::cry: I hope the knees recover quickly. What is it about this forum and knees at the moment!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-03 2:18 PM
Geez. :cry::cry:  I'm really sorry.  I hope it ends up being a fairly minor injury and that you get back to "normal" quickly.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-08-03 11:40 AM
Well. Got my 3D gait analysis report and it's an incredible mix of 'knew that' and 'are you shitting me'

Overall it was really good - no-one's ever suggested I could be a "good runner" before :shocker!::cool: or an athlete of any description. But the punch line was that if I get my lazy muscles to wake up and thereby fix the left/right difference, I have excellent form and gait and can be "a very good runner". Given all the issues I related to her: sciatica, scoliosis causing leg length discrepancy etc. she said I have adapted amazingly well; the scoliosis specifically, while she can see it when examining me, doesn't cause any gait problems whatsoever. I run softly (something else I've never heard before :laugh:) with equal weight on both sides.

And my knees are as close to perfect normal as she's ever seen. Using a scoring out of 100 against the normative database I got 97 for my knees :shocker!: Lower for hips & ankles but not significantly so...it's my functionality where it all collapses. Literally.

My knee hurts due to overuse because it & my right quad are basically the only things exerting any effort. All the rest - glutes, hammies, calves & left quad - are just lazy fuckers phoning it in :mutmad:

So, going forward:
-- wake up & strengthen glutes <--- expected that. I have 4 exercises to do 3x15 of every day for the next 2 weeks
-- ditto hammies & calves if fixing the glutes doesn't automatically flow through <--- she thinks it'll flow through & my glutes are the bad apple causing the barrel to rot
-- change shoes to neutral with good cushioning <--- are you shitting me...Winnipeg's homeless are about to get some very nice shoe donations! After 16 years in stability/motion control this is huge
-- physio for dural mobility <--- not entirely sure what this means in detail other than that hamstring stretches are useless for my left leg as my nerve flexibility stops the stretch before my hammy is used
-- no need for orthotics or a gait reassessment. Get my muscles woken up & my gait is fine

I'm gleeful, no other way to put it. This is all fixable and at the base, after 40+ years of being picked last for sports & told I'm inflexible, overweight, uncoordinated, and shouldn't exercise due to disc issues...I've been told I can be an athlete if I just put in some work on my leg muscles :cool: I know it won't be easy & when she says to do the exercises daily I have to do them EVERY DAY...but all the excuses about compressed discs, sciatica, patellofemoral pain, scoliosis etc. are gone (for running at least)

:happy:

oh, and in dailies: personal training last night focusing on upper body. Physio also released me to run, strength train just no kneeling or deep lunges/squats. Obviously don't do anything that causes pain. So should be Ok for hill training tonight after I buy NEW SHOES
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-03 12:14 PM
So what you're saying is it's your butt that's the problem?  :laugh: :laugh:

:hug:  That's all great news!  And while not "easily" fixable, it sounds doable.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-08-03 12:24 PM
:mutmad: way to simplify and condense

:laugh:
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-08-03 12:31 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-08-03 1:01 PM
well that's good news indeed!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-08-03 2:17 PM
That's great news!  I mean, making your muscles actually do some work might not be the easiest thing, but if you can distribute the workload away from the right quad you might solve all kinds of problems!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-03 9:34 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of promise! Glad you have a roadmap to go forward.

And I agree that far too many people are in stability/motion control shoes. Neutral shoes allow your foot to do what it wants to do.

Yay you! And many of us were picked last. Great on the exercise prescription. And many of us are not allowed to do lunges or squats.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-08-04 4:57 AM
I did the same thing with the shoe change after participating in a running study at U of DE. The exact same shoe change (stability to neutral). I was surprised by the findings as well. I hope you see some great progress in the coming months!
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-03 9:40 PM
3.5 this morning. Then WFH, doctor appointments, smog check (failed and now need a new catalytic converter, ouch!), another appointment, and no more run for the day. Bleah.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Throw it out there Thursday (daily stuff)