Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / resistance bands
- - By rabbitrunner Date 2017-07-30 11:09 AM
This isn't really a running-specific question, but can anyone help with a question about resistance bands?  I recently started an exercise program which uses a progression of resistance bands.  The program is meant to done through a physical therapist but I'm doing it on my own.  I started with a couple bands I had from physical therapy I did years ago but recently reached a point where I needed bands of greater resistance so I ordered some online.  I was surprised to find that although the bands I ordered online were described as professional grade, the resistance level in no way matches what I already have (based on color).  For example, I tied various bands to a 5 lb weight and measured how far each stretched when held at 12" from the weight.  The red band I had gotten from a physical therapist a while back was about equivalent to the highest level of resistance (black band) in the set I recently ordered.  I thought band color, at least among professional-grade resistance bands, was standardized.  I'm not sure whether the new bands are not really professional grade or if the old ones aren't, which is frustrating because I'd like to continue to follow the program.  Can anyone recommend a source for resistance bands that really are standardized and professional grade?  Or offer any insight into how resistance band grading works?  Googling hasn't gotten my very far, unfortunately.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-30 4:34 PM
Maybe PTRunner could help? Or MarjorieAnn on RWOL. She's a physical therapist.
Parent - - By Fry [us] Date 2017-07-30 6:06 PM
No idea about official numbers, but you can always add resistance bands together to increase resistance.
Parent - By rabbitrunner Date 2017-07-31 5:47 PM
That's a good idea.  Thanks!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-31 2:23 PM
Call your old pt place and ask where they get their supply?
Parent - By rabbitrunner Date 2017-07-31 5:51 PM
I suppose I could, if I can remember which practice!  It was over 12 years ago and 1000 miles away.  I didn't realize how long ago it was until just now and it made me feel a bit old.  Dang.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-31 5:53 PM Edited 2017-07-31 5:58 PM
My experience has been that they aren't consistent.  My PT used to cut bands from a large roll in her office.  The ones that you buy special are usually already in circles and have different colors.

This set has Yellow as Medium.

This set has Yellow as Light.
Parent - By rabbitrunner Date 2017-07-31 6:53 PM
This is more complicated than the exercise program made it sound.  Perhaps I will just call some local PT practices and get their take.  Thanks!
Up Topic Communities / Women / resistance bands