Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Forbidden Fruit Fridaily
- - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-28 8:33 AM
OK, it's time to fess up. Most of us have encountered a situation where we've come up on something that's "off limits" but we just couldn't stay away. It might have been a track locked up, a trail that was closed, or a no trespassing sign that we conveniently ignored. Now's your chance to come clean and have your transgression forgiven by the running gods. Tell us about the time(s) you have crossed the proverbial line.

Also let us know about your workout and weekend plans.

Bonus: Favorite summer fruit.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-28 9:25 AM
I've told this story before but I'll tell it again. The track at the local high school was about to be demolished. Construction crews had already fenced it off, but hadn't destroyed it yet. I wanted to get in a track workout, so I hopped the fence and started my workout. I think I made it through one 400 and part of a 2nd one when a construction foreman started whistling and yelling at me, then driving aggressively across a field towards me in his car. Part of me wanted to stay and argue with him that I wasn't putting anyone in danger. But he seemed like an irate asshole and I was picturing him having me arrested for trespassing. So I kept going down the straightaway and hopped the fence. I heard him yell "Don't EVER come back!" and, in hindsight, wish I'd flipped him the middle finger and/or made some snarky comment about how my property taxes were paying him (but I didn't). Then I finished my workout on the streets, estimating the distance based on time and always looking out the corner of my eye for either (a) the construction guy ready to bash me over the head with a tool, or (b) the local police. Fortunately neither one happened.

No such excitement this morning - just a 1.5 mile walk.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-28 11:37 AM
I knew you had a track story but couldn't recall all of the details.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-28 5:48 PM
That construction guy was a dick. Geez, it's not like you were out to steal equipment, you just wanted to run.:roll:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-28 8:05 PM
The reaction doesn't seem to match the offense :wtf:

Hope the walk was good!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-28 9:35 AM
I have to confess that I am terrible at obeying "closed" signs. :blush:

Our trails will close down after big rains but I figure that it is only for the bike riders. How much damage can I make just running on the trails? Our fitness center at work has been closed all week due to a little flooding Sunday night after some heavy rain. I've been able to get in (ignoring the closed signs plastered on the door:roll:) to change and go outside to run then grabbing a shower. The damage this time was a lot less than some other flooding so I was surprised that it was even closed. I finished my run yesterday and had finished my shower when a worker stuck his head in the locker room and asked "How did you get in here?" I told him I walked in but they were busy working and didn't notice. They were busy pulling up the carpet. I ran 4.5 miles on the trails and was going into the fitness center to shower before work and the door was barred shut this time to emphasize the fact that they were closed. I had to sneak in the back door to get my shower, but got in and out before anyone started working. We'll have to hope that they get things cleaned up over the weekend as I don't think that I will be able to sneak in again.

Was planning to run tomorrow morning but saw the forecast and Sunday is going to be about 10 degrees cooler than Saturday so we are going to run then as I don't need to be to church until 10 AM. We are moving our office in Charlotte this weekend so I have to go up there Saturday afternoon to do my share.

Bonus: Watermelon is always one of my favorite summer fruits but I had a nectarine the other day and I remembered how much I enjoy them.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-28 1:23 PM
:grin::laugh: where there is a will, there is a way!

10 degrees will make a big difference.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-28 8:03 PM
You might make it to church by 10 am, when I try that, the real challenge is staying awake once I get there! :laugh:  After my run today, I gotta say I don't blame you a bit for waiting for cooler temps.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-28 12:05 PM
When I first started running on Thursday nights with the running club the run was from a running store.  2 years later the store closed :sad:  However, we realized that several in the group taught at a local HS and one guy taught wood shop (yes, it still existed) and had a key to the exterior entrance to the wood shop & from there we could migrate to the teachers lounge to change clothes after a run.  That morphed when the XC coach gave one of the running teachers a key to the coaches locker room...where we could shower.  The school's entrance near the gym & coaches locker room was open most evenings year round. This worked great, even after the guy with the key retired, as he still had the key!  Unfortunately, the old bastard lost the key :mutmad:   His solution was for us to cut thru the gym, go downstairs and use the showers in the boys locker room.  No students were in the school during these times, much less using the locker room.  Eventually one summer evening we were finishing up in the locker room (without the now many years retired teacher) and were accosted my one of the janitors asking why we were there.  We figured that was our cue to cease & desist. :SIGH: 

My workout was doing the usual core & shoulder exercises at the gym then swimming 1600 meters.  I plan to get out & cut my grass shortly after posting here.

No specific weekend plans.  It will be busy around my neighborhood tomorrow as the swim club which is adjacent tot he ball fields, which are adjacent to my backyard, is hosting an end of year meet for all the clubs in town.  They distributed notes to homes in the neighborhood about a month ago to let us know but only yesterday I saw a notice from the township police department on Facebook identifying some parking restrictions on nearby streets and that a 1 block length of my street...5 houses past ours...would be closed most of the day.  It's simple to detour around that but I thought other than just a Facebook notice would be appropriate.  Also, yesterday a large tent was erected in our next door neighbor's backyard.  They are having a college graduation party (a bit late) for their daughter and my neighbor told me she invited 80 of her friends :shocker!:  I feel there will be an overabundance of vehicles in the neighborhood tomorrow!

Bonus: Oranges...any time of year.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-28 1:22 PM
that's quite hilarious the saga of the shower over the years. :laugh:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-28 1:54 PM
Busy weekend! With your sneaking around experience, you should be able to crash the graduation party without any problem.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-28 2:26 PM
I think it's a "friends" party, i.e. friends of the ~22-23 year old graduate.  I might look a bit out of place.

She's hanging in their backyard today with a few friends while I'm doing yardwork and all I can hear is Latin music...this family is Sicilian :wtf:  kids music taste today :roll:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-28 8:00 PM
Time to finance a new bike with some parking fees for the neighbors' party :evil:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-29 5:38 AM
Ha!  I could have started this morning as our street has been jammed with parked cars for the swim meet since before 7am!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-28 12:09 PM
Running at night on most of the trails around here is not allowed per signs in the trailheads. The trick at French Creek is not park at an official trailhead. :laugh:

I've definitely run on trails where there was a sign posted that they were closed. How can you close a trail in the first place? Most recent was down in LA, Bobcau WMU this past spring. Drove up there for a run from Shreveport, got a mile or two into a 7 mile loop and there was a piece of orange survey tape across one of the trails and a sign about an organized burn. Seeing that it rained buckets the previous day I was not too concerned about fires burning, though there were still a few smoldering spots which surprised me.

Seven miles last night with the Lady on the trail at Green Lane reservoir. The easy side of the lake. Trashed left knee not too bad last night. Didn't really do any walking. Mulling this whole scope thing over in my head. Should I stay or should I go, meaning have the procedure in 2 weeks or not? I am going to run a bit more in the next 10 days to sort it out. I am still leaning to having it done.

No big weekend plans. Depends on the rain (whether we get any or not) I suppose.

Bonus: Peaches and nectarines.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-28 1:22 PM
hard decision to make. pros and cons for both.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-28 1:55 PM
Closed trails is an oxymoron. :evil:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-28 2:29 PM
Here's some music you can listen to while mulling the surgery decision.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-28 7:58 PM
I guess you were safe from the dangers of the organized burn :wink:

Re the surgery:  how do you feel about the ortho?  Have you worked with him/her before?
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-28 1:11 PM
Last weekend i got out to some trails with a friend. I hadn't been on trails in months. I picked a trail that offers a lot of bang for the buck and isn't too steep or technical yet still is single track for portions of it. many years ago this trail got washed out in a flood and the trail was closed. That friend and I have been checking progress of the work to redo this trail from the flood over the years. Last time we did it a couple years ago they had a really nice new section laid out but it was a scramble to get over a creek as the bridge was still in pieces. We didn't die crossing :roll: but definitely ignored the closed and barricaded area to access it. I'm glad i got to watch the progress over the years so no regrets trespassing. the three new bridges were amazing and we could see the remains of the old trail. :grin:

Went lake water running with the friend this morning. We go from one swim buoy to the next and I think we set a new PR on this course. it took 50 minutes where before we didn't make it as far or it took longer. And we saw a bald eagle overhead. :cool: We finished in enough time for me to go home and do a power cardio video strength thing. I'm trying to mix it up a bit more with strength stuff. This was fun and I plan on doing more of the series.

Weekend plans: group run, visit with FIL at skilled nursing facility, work in garden, grill hamburgers satuday :grin:, laundry, movie with mom on sunday, and more work for the other job. it'll be busy and over quickly. :sad:

bonus: in order they appear - washington cherries, blueberries and peaches. i can't just pick one. : pbbt: I like watermelon quite a bit but won't actually buy one myself so i always appreciate it when i get it at a potluck, picnic or party.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-28 1:57 PM
Neat about the new trail, but boo on such a busy weekend.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-28 7:56 PM
You did all that and THEN went to work?  :shocker!:

Good luck with the busy weekend :hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-28 5:41 PM
I routinely ignore "no trespassing" signs posted near a local trail that I only very occasionally run on. My parents used to post those signs all over their 20 acres of woods in upstate NY, but they only did it to keep hunters off the property during hunting season. So I figure as long as I'm not bothering anyone, the property owners won't care. I don't go near houses.

6 very schveddy miles this morning.: pbbt: My shoes were soaked after the run. After my last dog walk of the day, I had a meeting with the real estate agent who will sell our house in March or April. We discussed the big stuff to take care of (oil tank removal, maybe knob and tube removal but probably not), and the cosmetic stuff, before the house goes on the market. The meeting ran over, so Philip and I ended up ordering out for dinner. Indian food.:hug: Weekend plans include a long run, lots of house cleaning, and making a raspberry trifle to bring to the neighbors- we're having dinner at their house tomorrow night.:happy:

Bonus: Cherries!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-28 7:53 PM
Great idea to get started on the selling fix-up already.  So. Much. Work. 

Lots of house cleaning.  Lots of donations to charity, too, I assume.  We must have kept the Allen Community Outreach in business for months after our downsizing. 

Good luck with the LR !!  Try not to get so schveddy this time :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-29 7:00 AM
It's a tad overwhelming.:laugh: But I've been tossing lots of stuff, and yes, donating whatever I can. But it's like the hydra's head- the more crap I get rid of, the more springs up in its place!:shocker!::roll:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-28 7:50 PM
When we moved to Maryland, the city's high school track was fenced and locked.  This was a completely foreign concept to me.  I'd lived in small towns in the West and had no idea that the public would not be welcome.  I just found a spot where the fence didn't meet the ground,  l just lay down prone on the ground and slid under and did my track workouts several weeks in a row.  Then one day a coach caught me and boy was he mad!!   It was back in the day when I cared when I'd upset someone :roll: and I was mortified about causing such a problem.  Later I found out that a bond measure in the community had failed the year before, so the school was not interested in contributing to the town spirit. At least it explained the hostility. 

Our house is in a community on a golf course that used to be only for residents 55 and older.  As that demographic has literally died out, more and more families have moved in, most of whom know nothing at all about golf.  These folks run with headphones, walk their dogs, let the kids ride their bikes, etc, etc. To them, it looks like a park with a nice path for the kids.  They really have no concept of the danger from flying golf balls.  I don't really consider a golf course sacred like some might :coughDHcough: but it bothers me that someone might get hurt badly by ignoring the signs that say "Keep Off"  Real talk, I'm not convinced an old geezer wouldn't take aim at one of them just to prove a point.  It's not like the place is overrun.  The course has marshals and they try to keep people off, but in the evening especially, we often see activity.

Today's workout (without a running partner :cry:) was 15 miles.  Gawd.  Pace was pretty good.  The remainder of the day was spent resting, packing and getting stuff ready for our big exit tomorrow.  :cool:

Bonus:  Nectarines, especially in a cobbler with ice cream :drool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-29 7:05 AM
Have a great trip!

Why would a coach be so mad at a runner just using the track for what a track is for?:roll: That ticks me off, especially a public school track.

Don't worry, some kid will get hit by a golf ball and all hell will break loose.:roll:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Forbidden Fruit Fridaily