Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Theater thursday NRR
- - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-27 10:47 AM
anything theatrical going on in your life?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-27 10:55 AM
I saw two great shows this week.  My mom took me to see the Fun Home broadway touring company. Although the show started slow, it grew powerful as the story played out. It is done without intermission in about 90 minutes, which seems to be the new trend in Broadway. I wonder if that is due to deteriorating attention spans. I loved the "I'm changing my major to Joan" song.  And the ending is tragic and touching. It is based on the autobiography of Allison Bechdel, of the Bechdel Test.

I took my niece to see the Broadway in your movie theater production of Falsettos. She's been obsessing about this show and was in tears by the end. The woman next to me was sobbing.  I first saw it in 1996 in a college production. It was fun to see it again, 20 years later, with professional actors.  This production will be coming to PBS in the fall. The story has held up better than I imagined it would, since it is set against the beginning of the AIDS crisis. I think that having a family and trying to make it in the world are universal themes.  The set design was really cool, and the actors, to a person, stunning.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-27 1:31 PM
:cool:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-27 12:55 PM
Wow. The Fuck-Off Fairy has apparently backed up the dump truck load of "F-Off" dust this week.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-27 1:17 PM
That sounds like a good thing.  Is it?
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:57 PM
A visit from the F-O Fairy is always a good thing.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-27 7:55 PM
:cool:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-28 9:08 AM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-27 1:18 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-27 1:20 PM
Let's talk colored hair and swimming.  I can either do an outdoor swim, but it rained a ton last night and I see people saying to stay away from my close lake after heavy rains.  Probably because up river is a dog park, and e coli.  So do I risk e coli, when I travel tomorrow?  I just ate at the Mexican place where I once got food poisoning...so obviously, I am taking risks today anyway.  Or, do I go to the pool and try to protect my hair.  Research shows to wet hair before I go in.  It also mentions coconut or olive oil.  Do I do both?  My hair is light brown with blond highlights; and is pretty dry without any help. 

I see DH tomorrow!!  :grin::happy::grin::happy::hug:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-27 1:33 PM
The problem with putting anything in your hair is that it clogs the pool filter and the other folks in the pool can smell/taste it, which isn't pleasant.  If you just use oil, the smell/taste is less of an issue. I have purple streaks in my hair, for pool swimming i put it in a ponytail then up in my cap. All dry. The water never makes it to the top of my head. I use an after-swim shampoo that helps my hair stay less icky. It is the L'oreal kids swim and sport shampoo, smells like oranges.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-27 1:37 PM
Ah. OK.  I don't have a swim cap as of yet.  I guess I'll brave possible e coli and enjoy the great outdoors for today!   That shampoo sounds great; I'll have to get some.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-27 1:54 PM
I find latex caps are tighter than silicone ones, and cheaper, but pull the hair more, and if you have a latex allergy are a no-go.

As for the water quality, try not to let water get in your mouth-- breathe out through your nose if you can. Water will still get on your lips, so minimal amounts will get in your mouth. Our local government tests the water quality at all our swim beaches weekly in the summer.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-27 8:29 PM
I dislike the feel of the latex caps, personally, and how they pull my hair as I take them on and off. So I use a lycra cap. I don't think it protects all that much against chemicals, but it's comfy and reusable and I won't tear it accidentally while using it.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-28 9:43 AM
If you pm me your mailing address, I can put one in tomorrows mail. Caps are like race t shirts, you get them at every event and don't need that many. If your head is small I can send  silacone one as well as a latex one  (my head is big and one event had silacone that barely fit)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-27 2:25 PM
Speaking of theatrical things-- who here is going to watch the eclipse next month? We have a hotel about 20 miles north of the path of totality. Hoping that traffic will permit us to go those last 20 miles that morning, but even if it doesn't (there are warnings about traffic in oregon, worried that there will be a state of emergency, people are being asked to bring their own food and water and a gas can) it should be a cool view at 99.9%!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-27 8:33 PM
We're a couple hour's drive away from the path of the total eclipse.  I guess that means we get a partial eclipse? :wtf:  I haven't really looked into how that works. :blush:  I could easily drive somewhere for the eclipse, watch it, and drive back home, but I doubt I'll do that.  The nieces will still be here and I somehow think that they would find driving a couple of hours to see it get dark to be kinda underwhelming. :laugh:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-07-28 6:26 AM
I will be in Columbia South Carolina with Gavin and friends and praying for no clouds. SO EXCITED!!!!!! I decided in April to go. Evan would have wanted me and gavin to go, and surprisingly I found a hotel for $99 a night. I hope there is a viewing area in a public park there.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-27 7:07 PM
Um, does family drama count as "theatrical"? : pbbt:
d
Okay, I just got back from the gym, where I had my best run to date since the knee replacement. I felt awesome and was drenched in sweat by the end and feeling fantastic. Calmer, happier, my brain got off the hamster wheel it's been on for a few weeks, all is right with the world.

I have to admit that this is probably EXACTLY what a druggie is like after getting a fix. I have never felt the before/after difference quite so starkly before.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-27 8:34 PM
Family drama as theater is very Shakespearean. : pbbt:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Theater thursday NRR