Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / There's the Thursdaily
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 8:43 AM
There it is!  Now tell us about your workout, your food and drink, and stuff in general. 

bonus: the three critters you like the least
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-27 9:01 AM
Update: I'm out of the hospital! Got discharged yesterday afternoon.

Kinda funny parts:
-On the instructions from the NP, I drove myself to the Emergency Room.
-On the instructions from the hospital staff, I left my car parked in the ER parking lot overnight.
-I felt fine the entire time I was there - minimal pain, same energy level I usually have, etc. I just needed to be there because...well, because I had a f'ing blood clot in my lung.
-When I finally got discharged, I walked out of there and drove myself home, making a couple of stops along the way to drop off a phone charger I had borrowed and to pick up my prescription at CVS.

Last night I showered and felt human again. I watched a lot of Food Network while in the hospital so I was inspired to make some pizzas last night. Pizza #1: Goat cheese, caramelized onions, arugula, fresh basil. Pizza #2: Prosciutto, arugula. Both were super-tasty. GF came over to eat and we got out for a post-dinner stroll through the neighborhood. Unfortunately my older daughter is being a pissy bitch towards me, in general over the past year and in particular this week. One part of this is that she has pretty much refused to interact with my girlfriend or even acknowledge her existence.

This morning I got out for a 1.5 mile walk. I may try a short jog tomorrow.

Bonus:
Ticks - because they carry Lyme Disease
Mosquitoes - because they bite and cause itching
Fruit flies - because they're annoying
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 9:27 AM
I was a little :wtf::wtf: about you driving yourself to the ER with the possibility of a PE breaking loose.  I mean, gee, I get spooky driving when the tire pressure light comes on :shocker!:

:roll: on your daughter -- ugh!  That age is prone to pissy bitchiness in the best of circumstances. 

Glad you were able to get out and walk today -- hope tomorrow will be even better !  :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-27 10:20 AM
Glad you are out of the hospital! :hug: What were your discharge instructions when it comes to exercise? Sounds like maybe just limit time/intensity for a while? It amazes me that we can treat blood clots with a pill these days. :cool:

Sorry to hear that your older daughter is acting out. I am sure some of it this week stems from the fact that she was probably really f-ing scared that she might lose her only remaining parent. :hug: And part of it is just the age that she's at. Not that either of these things makes it any easier for you. Hang in there, you are doing a great job. Focus on healing!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:25 PM
Oh yes fruit flies. So annoying.

Glad you are back home. Sorry about the older kid, like others said, so much going on, I have to think it's worrying for her and the age she is likely also a part of it. Neither of which makes the situation better for you. :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:23 PM
Those pizzas sound amazing!

Maybe your kids' pediatrician, or a therapist, has some suggestions for you with your daughter. I saw this a lot with my matrimonial clients, and I think it must be similar with widows and widowers, where a child feels like showing any affection or even just being pleasant to their parent's SO is being disloyal to the parent who died. Hell, I was 35 when my mother died of cancer, I was an adult and a mother of two. And when my dad started dating a year later, I still wanted as little to do with my dad's gf/eventual wife as possible!:laugh: I imagine it must be a million times harder for a teenage girl to deal with that.:hug: Emotions don't have to make sense, right?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-27 10:12 AM
Workout: 5 x 1 mi cruise intervals @8:47 pace after work. Woke up at 5 to run but I felt like crap, so I tried to get back to sleep but couldn't, ugh. So I did some yoga and foam rolling and got a head start on my day.
Food/drink: I had ice cream twice yesterday, plus a piece of blueberry pie. I woke up with a massive headache this morning (see above), and I think it was from all of the sugar. So today I was going to avoid sugar but I've already had a cinnamon doughnut from a fantastic local bakery. No ice cream today though. :roll:
Stuff in general: we booked our wedding/reception venue last night! :hug: We are getting married exactly 4 months from yesterday. Guess I should start planning! :shocker!: Tim - we are getting married in Ridgewood! The Park West restaurant on Oak St. has a new loft space above it for entertainment, and that's where we are having it. The food is mostly the same as the restaurant below, which is excellent.

Bonus: googly bugs - that's my name for house centipedes. I hate hate hate those things. Ticks - same. Animal-wise I guess I would say rats
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 11:50 AM
I have the best intentions of giving up sugar but can never keep with it.  Still, I'll bet you will feel better even if you just have less than you did yesterday. 

Wedding plans:  DD is at the 6-month mark for her wedding and her fiance keeps asking why she gets so cranked up about planning something that is so far in the future :roll:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 1:44 PM
:laugh::shocker!::cry:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 1:44 PM
very exciting!  :grin:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:02 PM
Cracking up about the doughnut. :laugh: Hope the headache stays away.

Exciting about the wedding plans!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:08 PM
Congrats on finding the wedding space! That's half the battle!:cool:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-27 11:35 AM
My workout for today isn't going to happen until 6pm this evening when I teach cycling class.  It will be the same class profile & playlist I used yesterday morning.  I typically teach a "better" class the 2nd time around if for no other reason than I've had practice.

Bagel for breakfast, turkey on whole wheat for lunch, pizza & beer for dinner after class.

At my dermo visit on Tuesday I got some "freeze jobs" on the left side of my head (~halfway between my temple & forehead) & that area is a bit red but not so sensitive.  I also had a "flick job" (my doc's term for when he scraps with his scalpel vs. making an incision) on my right side about even with my bottom rib...just some redness & ~ a 1/4" scab forming there.  Although my doc told me I could swim right away :roll:  I think I'll be ok for that tomorrow.

DS works for a fall protection company and recently has mainly been doing periodic inspections of fall protection equipment (e.g. attachments harnessed workers hook onto to prevent catastrophic falls) the company has previously installed or has been contracted to inspect to certify they are still safe.  Inspecting systems at the top of the spire on the World Trade Center has been his "WOW" inspection so far.  Next week he'll be inspecting wind turbines off the coast of Rhode Island :shocker!:  He's typically short on details with us...I need to quiz him on this one but I suspect it's the Block Island Wind Farm   The WTC was unquestionably high.  This job seem more desolate!

Bonus:  Lions and tigers and bears...oh my!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 11:46 AM
When I was teaching, I always did better on the second presentation.  I felt bad for the guinea pig class that had to go first.
Beautiful picture of the wind farm.  My uncle has a few on his farm in Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.....:roll::grin: They look relatively small from a distance, but they are GIGANTIC!!!

Your bonus:  :laugh:  Now I'll be having Wizard of Oz ear worms for the rest of the day!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 1:43 PM
wow. how do they get onto those things? boat?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:48 PM
Yes, boat.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:22 PM
Woah, that would be cool and scary all at once. beautiful, I had not seen wind farms in the ocean.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:48 PM
Cool & scary...EXACTLY!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 11:41 AM
Argh!  I already wrote out a great little response, then somehow found myself on a completely different web page, and all my writing was lost :cry::mutmad: 

Running was 4 super easy miles and then plenty of rest for tomorrow's LR of hopefully 14 miles.  That will move the SDO to Saturday so we can get an early start out of here to Lake Corpus Christi State Park.  Expectations for LCC aren't set terribly high.  We chose it so we could check it out for an outing later in the year when it's not so terribly hot, and by spending Saturday night there, we won't have such a long drive to South Llano River State Park, which I've been anxious to visit again since we were there last year.  

Food and drink is :meh:  in anticipation of the LR.  I hate surprising my stomach or my stomach surprising me while I'm far away from facilities (and know there are unfriendly creatures off the trail :roll:)

Ugh!  Last night as I was drifting off to sleep, I got a text from my running partner telling me her husband was getting a promotion and they would be returning to South Dakota by the end of August.  Of course this is wonderful news for her.  She will be reunited with her very close-knit family, but selfishly :cry::cry:  I loved running with her both because of her company and because she's a strong runner and I could tell I was improving my own game by having her to challenge me.  I mustered up some "I'm so happy for you" responses and then fought the urge to sob into my pillow.

Bonus:  Chiggers cause me the most consistent misery, even more than mosquitoes.  Copperheads are next.  Then mice, just because they get out of hand so quickly and create a terrible mess.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 1:42 PM
oh that is very disappointing about your running partner. :cry: I'm very sorry.

why such low expectations for LCC? or just heat alone?
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 2:37 PM
LCC looks like it caters to boating campers, and yes, the heat can be a serious challenge.  Last time we tried to set up in the afternoon, the aluminum fixtures that hold the cover on on the pick-up bed were too hot to touch.  So yes, in the middle of summer, we were wearing gloves so we could unpack. :-D
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:02 PM
So sorry about your RP. :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:04 PM
Aw, sorry you're losing your RP!:sad: But people should be fighting for the chance to run with you, I don't think you'll run alone too long.:hug:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-27 1:09 PM
I've been kicking up my training the last few weeks with some track work on Mondays and a TM speed session on Thursdays. I brought my stuff for another TM workout but our fitness center has been officially closed this week due to some flooding Sunday night. (I'm just going in to use the shower so it has been ok) so I couldn't do the TM. So, I went and did our hill route which is what we will be doing starting next week so I got in a practice session. I did 6 hills for about 6 miles. Slow as molasses but I got it done. Fortunately, it wasn't too awfully hot today.

I was able to get the special beer I wanted last night. I stopped by one store that had it in the growler station and asked them for a 32 oz fill but all I had was a metal growler. The use a funky system that pressurizes the beer as it goes in so they need to be able to see when to shut it off. They ended up filling a glass growler then pouring it into my metal one so a lot of carbonation was lost so I knew I couldn't hold onto that. I had a glass at the restaurant then went home and drank the growler. (At just over 10% ABV it was quite enough) I liked the growler beer a lot better than it tasted at the restaurant and don't know if it was a better keg or a nicer glass.

Bonus: Palmetto Bugs (large cockroaches), spiders, mosquitos.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 1:36 PM
a big, local pharmacy chain just opened up near where i run. i was surprised to see they offer growler refills. :laugh::wtf:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 3:37 PM
six hills, six miles -- :cool: :rawr:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:20 PM
Great excuse for chugging all the beer. :laugh: What's the beer you got?
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-28 8:37 AM
Mexican Cake

It's one of the best beers from SC. Based on your Untapped history, I think you would enjoy it. I may need to bring a bottle to HTC for some post-race celebration.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-29 9:52 AM
Ooooh! Yes! That would totally be my kind of beer.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:01 PM
Palmetto bugs!:cry: When I was a little kid visiting my grandparents in Florida, I'd be running around outside barefoot and then feel something squish under my foot. I hate palmetto bugs!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 1:27 PM
Taking the wednesday off from coming into my regular job meant i thought it was monday today. It's not. :grin:

Ran 8 this morning. We were close to setting an all time record for no rain but ruined it this morning because it was a bit drizzly. It was wonderful to run in even thought it's not really been that hot here. Yesterday was mid-80s and today is only forecast to be low 70s. :happy:

bonus: mosquitoes (I react very strongly to the bites), spiders (:shocker!::shocker!:<--typical reaction) and today? Crows. I got shat upon by one today just as i was getting on the bus. :meh::mutmad: I got hit on my hand and a bit on my purse/jacket. if it had been anymore on my wardrobe or head, i would've gone home to change and shower.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 3:35 PM
Good job getting in 8 before work :cool:

DH gets very strong reactions to mosquito bites, but generally I don't.  Not sure why.  Whatever.  My reaction to chigger bites makes up for any breaks I get from mosquitoes.  Both can spoil a nice day in a hurry :mutmad:

Eeeuuuwww on the crow shit, but some say if a bird poops on you, it's good luck.  Not sure of the rationalization for that, but it's what I hear.  Lucky you :roll:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 5:31 PM
i react to anything very strongly. I get little bites when picking raspberries that itch and itch for weeks. i got stung by something when out walking a few weeks ago. I didn't see it but my entire hand started swelling up. I had to take off my ring even and took benedryl as a precaution. :shocker!:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:18 PM
So jealous of those temps.

Yeah, bird poop is supposed to be lucky. :laugh:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:17 PM Edited 2017-07-27 5:19 PM
Woke up so tired. My sleep is totally screwed up. I think some of it is being in a windowless room all day. I am making it a point to get outside time, by the sitting in the patio but it's so hot. And then just stress juggling multiple things at work.

Also interviewing people, to get another person on my team, but with how complex everything is that simply means more demands on my time in the short term. I already have one guy, who is really experienced, but makes me want to pull my hair out in how much hand holding I need to do. He won't tell me when he's stuck so now I am like that micromanaging idiot that asks him how he is doing every two hours just to make sure he isn't just sitting there doing nothing because he is stuck. I have emphasized to him he should not hesitate to ask for help. I am talking to recruiters but also gun-shy and careful where I go next. Or maybe I could just win the lottery and build my own apps and fuck all these fuckers. :p

Bonus: the little whatevers that are in my veggie garden and leaves me with a ton of bites. Not quite mosquitoes, much smaller. House flies.
Least favourite is a certain yellow hired narcisstic one.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 5:37 PM
our new office means i'm right next to a window on the 29th floor. before i was in a cube farm towards the middle of the building. it's amazing what a difference that makes.

what does he do? just sit there? :wtf::mutmad: i have the opposite idiot in that i have a coworker who cannot do anything without asking anyone and everyone for help. after 5 years, you'd think he could problem solve a little bit. :meh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:56 PM
I worked in what must have been an old broom closet when I was a paralegal for a firm in DC, 1989. No ventilation. I was nauseous a lot. After much begging, they finally gave me a fan. Whoop whoop.:roll::laugh:

Why don't you have the needy guy interview your prospective hires for you?: pbbt:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 7:38 PM
Your bonus:  : pbbt: yup: pbbt:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:47 PM Edited 2017-07-27 5:50 PM
Hi Enid!

6.2 miles with 4 @ MP, it was a really good run! I followed it with 20 minutes of upper body weights and sit-ups:happy:. I worked way too much on yesterday's chicken tanginess to cook tonight: pbbt:, so dinner will be leftovers. Blather: Just found out that a friend I haven't seen since senior year of high school, she was an AFS student from the Netherlands, will be in town on Monday! I knew she was coming, but didn't know the details. We've stayed in touch via letters, then email, for 30 years. Our kids are similar ages. So funny, she was a Dutch exchange student who was into hard rock, dressed in motorcycle leathers and skin tight pants, and she was placed at an all girls private school in Buffalo.:laugh::laugh: We spent a lot of time together my senior year, it will be good to see her!  Stuff in general: Just got one estimate for the removal of old knob and tube wiring from our house- $15,100.:shocker!::shocker!::cry: We won't be going with that company.:roll: On Monday, we have someone coming to scan our property for an underground oil tank, which may or may not be there. We never used oil, and there was a natural gas furnace here when we moved in. But we can't sell the house if there's an oil tank on the property, so even though we have no reason to believe there ever was one, we have to pay $250 just to see if there is.:roll: This house is killing me.

Bonus: 1. DEER. Car-totaling asshats.:meh: 2. Spiders. They seriously creep me out. 3. Anything with rabies. A few streets over from me, a fox ran toward some kids in broad daylight, and a woman ran out and put herself between the kids and the fox. The fox bit into the woman's leg and wouldn't let go. Some guys heard her screaming, came to help, and literally had to beat the fox off her. But the fox ran off, they didn't kill it, so we don't know for sure if it rabies. The woman did go get the rabies shots though. Scary stuff. But I basically hate any critter that bites me or craps in my house. :mutmad:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-27 8:19 PM
That is so cool about the former AFS student coming to visit!

Here's hoping you don't find an oil tank on your property :shocker!:  Then you would have to wonder if it was empty.  That would be completely creepy :meh:

Bonus:  I knew deer would make your top three, but I was not expecting them to take top honors.  Awful story about the fox, but very heroic about the woman intervening.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-28 8:00 AM
I'm pretty sure the oil tank- if there is one- would have had to be emptied and filled with sand when the previous owners switched to natural gas. Before just a few years ago, filling an old oil tank with sand complied with environmental regs, but of course, after we bought the house, they changed the rules.:roll: Now the tank has to be dug up and disposed of.

Deer.:mutmad: You should be impressed I stuck to your parameters of only 3 critters. My list is very, very, long!:laugh:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / There's the Thursdaily