Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thoughtful Thursday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-07-27 6:20 AM
Post. :happy:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-07-27 6:21 AM
Wednesday I got in a warmer 45 minutes out the trail. I also spent and hour on yoga. I need to get cracking on my XT. Neglect is neglect. :blush:
Today I’m off to the trail. It’s still cool enough not to need ice. Or do I? :roll: I want Fall to come. Grocery after run.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-07-27 9:27 AM
Hi, peeps!  I ran 2.5 last night.  It was 87* and heat index of 93*.  We had such a mild winter and 1st part of summer that I can't really complain.  It's just awful and humid, but it is those things every year around this time.

Meetings and more meetings for my job.  Lots to learn and even more to remember.  It feels good :happy:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-07-27 12:01 PM
Excellent job on the 2.5 in that kind of heat/humidity. :cool: If only next Winter would be as mild as last.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-27 12:12 PM
Sounds good. You got a run in and are feeling busy and productive. :hug:
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-07-27 12:56 PM
So glad you're enjoying the new job :hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-27 2:41 PM
Wow, great job on the run! And super about the job :cool:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-27 12:13 PM
Knee and quad and psoas are all feeling great today. I am stuck inside right now doing some projects for the wedding, but will take a break in a few hours and go to the gym, or maybe out on the trail. Some outdoor time would be good.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-27 12:16 PM
Did you get the signed copy of the decree you needed?
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-27 12:55 PM
YES. It finally arrived. We are go for launch!
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-07-27 12:57 PM
:cool::hug:
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-27 1:03 PM
AWESOME!!!!  :hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-27 2:42 PM
Wahoo! :cool::hug:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-27 12:16 PM
OW.

Biked 1.5 to trainer.  Today was triceps, shoulders, chest.  Biked 4 to work.

It's been 6 hours and my arms are still fatigued.  I can barely lift my arms over my head.  Showering was interesting.  Putting on deodorant was down right laughable.  Riding my bike in was hard because I was afraid my arms would refuse to work if I needed to brake so I went slower than normal.  Hills + slow = hard.  The ride home tonight is gonna suck, just suck.  But I'll do it because I need to.  One step at a time.

Trainer wanted to talk to me about adding in cardio.  I told him to shut it (for now), I'm biking 9-10 miles 4 times a week, working with him 3 times a week, and doing something fun/active on the other weekend day.  That leaves exactly one day with nothing, and I need it.  And it's just the second week.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-07-27 12:59 PM
Ow indeed

Why would he want to add in cardio given you're already doing a lot outside his sessions? I know my trainer always wants to know about my running because she considers it when planning my programme for strength training. Having said that I never feel quite that fatigued after a session so maybe I should (a) work harder or (b) tell her to push me more :laugh:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-27 1:06 PM
I think it's because he knows I want to drop a decent amount of weight.  Adding cardio on top of the strength training we're doing seems like a normal addition.  The biking really isn't all that hard, and real soon now I'll need to add to it.  But yeah, give my body a chance to adjust to biking to work and working out first.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-27 2:39 PM
You could add intensity to your biking in exchange for adding time. Not for the entire ride but 3/5x5/10 minute harder segments with a recovery.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-27 3:10 PM
Yeah, I was thinking I could push harder up the hills once I get through the "oh my gawd, my legs/arms are gonna fall off" stage.  Right now, it's takes about 26 minutes to make the trip one way.  There are some pretty good sized hills.  The flip side is that the downhills are also decent sized, so I coast more than I'd ideally do in a "real" workout.  I can also find some alternate routes that tack on a little bit at the beginning and add distance and intensity that way.   Eventually I do want to add running back in, but I need to settle in to the bike commute deal first.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-27 3:23 PM
I'm wimping out.  It's pouring and the radar is red for the next hour or so it looks like.  DH is coming to get me.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-07-27 12:24 PM
Thoughtful indeed. I went for my gait analysis/biomechanical assessment this morning. It's part of a massive research project by the University of Calgary so I'm now part of the database :cool: She didn't want to say too much until the results are analysed and I have the follow up session next Thursday, but another physio had asked to sit in and see how it's done so of course they talked & I listened :evil:

In no particular order, and obviously all subject to revision next week:
--I don't overpronate while running but do when walking. This is apparently not unusual per their studies. I'm in motion control shoes and have always run in stability shoes, so if it remains the final result I guess I'm looking at new shoes
--My left glute/leg is an unholy mess although whether that has any impact on my gait is yet to be seen
--I have low arches but my feet are surprisingly stable
--My right knee is swollen & obviously there's something wrong...but again it is generally stable. Both my feet & knees seemed to surprise and please her unlike pathetic Mr. Left Leg :roll:
--My reflexes are awful - I have no idea what this means but she could barely get a reaction out of either side
--Generally speaking my gait isn't bad - my arms (which don't get sensors on) are good form and there was nothing obviously wrong although my titled pelvis is clearly having an impact

So: not sure what will come of this - she was very clear that her report will only focus on gait-related issues, although at one point, while finding issues in my lumbar spine, she noted to the visiting physio that she sometimes refers people to a 'standard' physio if she sees issues that aren't impacting run/walk gait. So I'm guessing I'll get at the minimum some input on shoes, exercises to strengthen Lefty, and a referral to work on my spine health in general

I also had my personal training 6-mth assessment last night: my strength and overall conditioning has improved but she wants my niggles resolved so we can do more high intensity jumps etc. that will help weight loss. I'm not sure who's more interested in the physio report, me or her!

Overall an interesting couple of sessions and although I'll be pissed off if this all affects my half mary plans I'm excited at having a 'team' working with me to fix issues that have honestly existed for 30+ years. I feel like a celebrity :laugh:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-27 2:40 PM
Hiya! 5.5 miles on a humid afternoon.  And :drumroll please: - tomorrow is my last day of work!! I'm all :grin::sad::sad::happy::cool::cry: about it.  But it's definitely ultimately a good thing.  On Sunday Penelope and I will be hitting the road for a 2 week road trip in MA and ME to see family.  My grandma's 90th is on 8/2 and there will be a big family reunion :happy:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thoughtful Thursday dailies