Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / What's Happening Wednesday? Daily!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 7:39 AM
What's happening in your neck of the woods? Do live near any wooded areas? Would you call your residence urban, suburban, or rural?

And your run/workout, food & drink, blather

Bonus: Thin socks or thick?
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 7:58 AM
I kept waiting for the dailies this week, and it seemed by the time it happened I never got a chance to post, so today I decided to start it myself! My home is definitely suburban, you have to drive to just about any errand or appointment. The bank is the only business within walking distance. Houses are close (too close for me) together, street have a lot of traffic during rush hour then it's usually quiet. I'd have to drive 10 minutes to get to any woods larger than a driveway, but there are woods around.

6 miles this morning, the first 4 with Weasley, his golden doodle buddy, and my two friends. Cool, but humid. I had a protein bar and green smoothie so far, and I'm making this slow cooker chicken tangine recipe for dinner:Click.  Blather: We returned from Savannah late Saturday, it was a nice trip- but I didn't get much running done down there. Only one short run on a hotel treadmill.:meh: But Philip and I did hit that awesome BBQ place twice! Once on the way down and once on the way back.:grin: Sooo good! And yes, I came back a few pounds up, and it was worth every bite. We also stopped at the Le Creuset outlet in SC near Savannah to look for a replacement for a Dutch Oven we have. Found a great price on one size up, and also got a small one in a beautiful aqua color. I love their cookware!

Bonus: Thin for marathon distance or less, thick for ultras.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-26 8:58 AM
You ran on a hotel treadmill when in Savannah? :cry:

Shame, shame... as they said on game of thrones during the Cersei march. :laugh:

I always like wandering somewhere new outdoors.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 10:58 AM
:laugh:

Actually, I ran on a hotel treadmill (a crappy one too:meh:) in the town we stopped in on the way to Savannah. When we got to Savannah, I was looking forward to running to and in the big park there, but there was always something going on in the morning or evening, and it was in the high nineties at midday there. I went down to pick my daughter up, so we had to get all her crap out of the dorm one morning, meet with the admissions counselors on another, had her art show one night, and ate at a nice restaurant the next- no way could I run after that meal!:laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-26 3:23 PM
I really struggle to get in my running when we travel because we get out of our routine, and I feel bad making everyone wait while I get back and have to clean up etc.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-26 12:38 PM
The chicken looks great! Will you be using your new Le Crueset?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-26 8:57 AM
I live in a suburban development but lot sizes average 1 acre so there is room to breathe and swim buck naked when the cannas are in full bloom. Ha. We have a thin strip of woods separating our back yard from the neighbors behind us. I appreciate that, as it gives us more privacy and the birds and wildlife like it too. It's actually a wetlands streambed that runs down the hill that has filled in with trees and such. I like it. If you travel just a mile or two west or north of us you are in a rural area with farms and more scattered housing.

Nice weather here for July. 70's and overnight cool enough to give the AC a break. No run today but will do weights and such at planet of fitness and dog walking. Did run 6 last night at Coventry Woods. Puzzled about my left knee. Still a crappy slow plod of a run but I had only minor aches in the left knee. I think my aggressive self massage/foam rolling is starting to work out some of the quadricep tendinitis kinks, as I felt less discomfort up there above the knee. It's sort of sad but I am becoming an expert on what part of my knee hurts and why.

Bonus: Thick wool socks for the trail. Sometime thinner wool for road running. Depends what socks are clean.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 11:04 AM
One acre is a nice sized lot! My FIL has one acre, it does give some space.

When you swim naked, do you ever wonder if your neighbors have a telescope?: pbbt:

Sorry about the knee. Sometimes it's not what you think. I starting doing exercises recommended for getting rid of ITB, and it turned out they were the source of my intermittent hip pain. I stopped doing anything but running for my lower body- no weight, bands, body weight exercises- and haven't felt the hip pain since. Are you sure it's not your weight routine? Do you do squats?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-26 11:32 AM
I had not been doing weights for legs since I run so much, and never have done much in the way of squats and lunges. I added weights back just a few weeks ago to strengthen up quads and hammies some. But it's not that... I had MRI 2 weeks ago that shows a left medial meniscus tear plus quadriceps tendinosis. I am trying to work out the tendinosis bit before my scope next month.

Hey, if they want to look my hairy behind, they are welcome. But honestly we don't skinny dip that much. Maybe once in a blue moon after soaking in the hottub.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:24 PM
Skinny dipping followed by once in a blue moon... hahahaha!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-26 9:04 AM
I'd call our residence rural / suburban. There are cows less than a quarter mile from the house, but we are only 3 miles to a nice grocery store (and only another mile to the nicer one that allows you to drink beer and wine while you shop). We don't have as many deer at the new house as we did at the last one but we'll see one every so often. We live on a very quiet dead end street that doesn't get much traffic which is very nice. We have a wooded area of the yard that provides some privacy.

10 mile survival run this morning. It wasn't that hot but the humidity was just under 100% so it felt awful. I was planning on our route that goes out by the small airport in town but we stuck to a route that has more available water and we just shuffled from one water fountain to the next.

A local restaurant is having one of my favorite beers (Mexican Cake - which is a stout with cocoa nibs, vanilla and a hint of hot peppers) so I am planning to stop by for some. One of the guys who ran with us this morning just texted to say that a local store has some on their growler station so I will stop there for some before going to the restaurant.

Bonus: Thin.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-26 11:34 AM
That beers sounds kind of gross to me, but I am not a stout fan either. Had a beer once from Cigar City, Jai Alai White Oak Aged, that had a hint of vanilla. Different, very good in small doses. More of an IPA/ale though.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-26 1:16 PM
The stout is good if you like barrel aged stuff.

I've had the White Oak Jai Alai and like that a lot. Cigar City finally opened up distribution to SC so we can get it.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:36 PM
Humidity sucks!:cry: The SC coast was even more humid than South Jersey, and that was a shocker to me.:laugh:

That Mexican Cake sounds good to me! Weren't you with Cathy when she discovered Sweet Baby Jesus? That is now one of my favorites.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-26 7:39 PM
i want that beer. :grin:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-26 9:16 AM
In my neck of the woods, my dog has desperately been trying to catch squirrels, birds, and rabbits lately when I'm out walking him. He has finally figured out that the squirrels run up the trees instead of disappearing into thin air at the bases of them :laugh: but he is no closer to catching them. And I'm convinced that the squirrels taunt him from the trees too. :laugh: Apollo did catch Luke the other day though. :sad: Luke was running down the stairs because he was scared, and Apollo happened to be right at the bottom of the stairs and caught the kitty in his mouth. :cry: I managed to make him let go and Luke was fine, just super scared (me too).

I used to live near the woods. Our house backed up onto a wildlife/nature management area. My current residence is suburban. Houses as far as the eye can see.

Run: 3 pre-work miles. 60 degrees. Loving this weather while it lasts.
Food/drink: I have a lunch n learn, hoping for good pizza! Lots of water to drink, even though it's cooled off I have been dehydrated. :wtf:
Blather: Work drama has me really stressed out. Like affecting my sleep and health stressed out. :roll:

Bonus: thicker ones when it's cold, but usually medium thickness. Definitely not thin.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-26 11:36 AM
Sorry about the work stress. The Lady spends a lot of her trail time in search of squirrel and chipmunks. She has never caught one, but doesn't give up.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-26 12:30 PM
Work drama sucks so much. When you spend 40+ hours a week somewhere, it's impossible to not have it bleed over into other parts of your life. Compartmentalizing for me is really hard. I wish I were better at it.

I hope the pizza was good. :silverlining:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-26 2:24 PM
This pizza was crappy, but the interns are having a bake sale and I got blueberry pie, so I'm good! :grin:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:38 PM
This weather is awesome! But the humidity still got to me.

Geez, that kind of work stress...:sad: I hope you can resolve it soon!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-26 7:30 PM
Didn't you once post a picture of a bear near your place? 

Very sorry about the work drama :meh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-26 7:38 PM
scary about luke! :shocker!:

and so is the work stress.  :shocker!: I hope it will resolve soon or at least lessen.  :hug:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:34 AM
Squirrels totally do the taunting thing. Few days back Pepper was still a bit tired after her little min surgery for her nail, so wasn't her usual self, well there the little shit squirrel, coming down to the bottom most part of the tree and making chattering noises at her. :laugh:

Same here on work. Sleep is completely screwed up.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-26 9:34 AM
Unexpected twist of events: I ended up in the hospital with a blood clot.

What happened:
-Sunday I started to feel a pain in my lower right rib cage, kind of like a bruise. Nothing too painful.
-Sleeping on Sunday night was kind of painful, especially if I shifted my weight onto that side of my rib cage.
-Monday morning it took a little while for everything to loosen up, but I still got out and ran. I thought I just had a muscle strain, but in hindsight...holy crap. Once I was moving everything loosened up and the pain just about vanished.
-Monday daytime was similar to Sunday - a mild discomfort
-Monday night was similar to Sunday night - more painful than the daytime
-Tuesday morning I didn't feel up for running and slept in instead. Then I figured I should get this checked out, so I went to the NP at my doc's office. Physical exam, x-rays, blood work, and I headed to work from there.
-About an hour after I arrived at work, the NP called and said I needed to get to an ER and have a CAT scan done. This caused me to get worried. Am I going to have a stroke while driving on the highway? This can't happen to me, it's not allowed to happen, dammit, I'm a single parent and my kids can't take another horrific event in their lives. I texted my GF to let her know what was going on and added "In case anything awful happens, I LOVE YOU". I called my BIL and told him what was going on and gave him my computer passwords.
-CAT scan results were likely (statistically) to give an "all clear", but...I have a blood clot.
-Stayed overnight in hospital last night, on blood thinner medication, still here, supposed to go home today.

There is a pretty good trail network near where I live. I would describe my area as suburban, but with some urban elements. There's a T station 1/2 mile away and downtown Boston is only about 8 miles away.

No run today

Bonus: thick, to prevent blisters
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-26 9:53 AM
:shocker!: Was the blood clot in your lungs? SO glad you went to the doc to check it out. :hug: Do they have any idea of the cause?
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-26 10:06 AM
In the lung, yes.

Cause was likely the medication I'm on for low-testosterone (dammit, I can't keep doping with that stuff
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-26 10:57 AM
Holy shit. I am so glad you're ok.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-26 11:37 AM
Gosh, that is scary. A few reports around here lately of people having scary stuff happening. CJ had some issues as well, though not a clot. Take care, and be careful.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-26 12:13 PM
oh no Tim.  You and your kids are in my thoughts. Glad you are getting taken care of.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-26 12:51 PM
:shocker!::cry::hug::hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-26 1:26 PM
I remember you saying you just didn't feel right on Monday.  Good grief. :shocker!: I cannot even imagine what that drive to the ER must have been like  :sad:   Thank goodness the NP (or whoever or for whatever reason) followed up quickly! 

Blood thinners will redefine your running parameters for a while I assume?  Thank you for letting us know what happened, and please keep us posted.   :hug:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-26 2:26 PM
Yikes!! That's scary!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:19 PM
Yikes, glad they caught it!  Hope your treatment resolves the issue.  Our current running club VP had blood clots in his lungs several years ago (just before he was to go with us to RtB) and it took some time but he returned to healthy running.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:41 PM
:shocker!::shocker!:

Glad you're ok! And don't forget to change your computer passwords now.: pbbt:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-26 7:36 PM
:shocker!: so scary! DH has had intermittent blood clot issues but only in calf and thigh. so glad you got it checked out!
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-07-26 7:53 PM Edited 2017-07-26 8:09 PM
Sure - you had time to text your GF, but you didn't have time to log on here and tell us all how much you love us?  A likely story! 

Glad to hear they figured out what was going on and are resolving it.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-27 6:38 AM
Glad you got it checked out.  :hug:  That is scary.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-26 11:56 AM
Someone is having tree work done in my neck of the woods today as the temps have cooled off, we have the windows open and all I hear right now is a chainsaw :cry:

60 years or so ago our area was rural farmland, now it's been developed into suburbia.  It can be quiet here in the middle of the day but some drivers use our street as a "cut thru" from an east/west highway that borders our development on one side to a north/south one bordering it on another side.  My backyard backs up to a Little League (technically Cal Ripken League) complex that includes 3 fields (T Ball, minor & major fields).  Beyond that is the development swim club.  The swim club will be noisy this Saturday as it's their turn to host the end of season swim meet for all the swim clubs in our township.

I taught cycling class this morning & did my usual exercise routine afterwards.  I spent the rest of the morning on "data entry" & web posting of the results of the races our running club put on last night. 

Bonus:  Thin!  As a runner I found Wright Sock - double layer socks to be awesome!  Two thin layers that took away almost all of the friction & risk of blisters.  There was always a vendor at the May (Broad Street Run) and November (Philly Marathon) Expos I'd go to in Philly who would have a deal for 3 pair of these and I replenished that way for years.  5 or 6 years ago these socks seem to have completely disappeared :cry:  good thing I had to quit running :roll:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-26 12:31 PM
The last time we did tree work, we had to turn off the power for our neighbors for 4 hours. So there's that benefit.

I have heard good things about the Wright Sock.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:26 PM
We have an oak tree on our front lawn & the truck has grown against the electric line supplying our house.  About 10 years ago pressure on the line burned thru one of the two power cables...half the electricity in our house went out.  The PSE&G lineman reconnected it & put a brace around it & it's been good since.  I'm afraid that eventually the tree could grow around the line.  That & birds incessantly crapping on our car rom branches that overhang the driveway are reasons we may eventually have it cut down.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:44 PM
I love Wright double layer socks. I wore them with Ultras for my two consecutive marathons in March, and didn't blister at all. Then I wore the same shoes with different socks for the 100 in April, and had awful blistering. Wright all the way!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-26 7:27 PM
60 years or so ago our area was rural farmland, now it's been developed into suburbia.  So true, throughout the country :meh:

How was the turnout for last night's race?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:55 AM
It was OK.  88 runners total across a 1 mile (11) race and 1 loop (49) and 2 loop (28) races.  2 more racers than we had last year but not as many as some previous years :meh:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-26 12:26 PM Edited 2017-07-26 12:30 PM
Well, in my neck of the woods, our community running trail is flanked by foliage on both sides. In order to control some of the overgrowth, the township has "hired" goats that will be on site, eating a bunch of out-of-control plants and vines, through September. So, that's kind of interesting. I would call my residence urban-y/suburban. There are sidewalks everywhere, so we can easily walk to get places, including the train into Philadelphia. And I live about 6.5 miles outside of the center of city, and about 2 miles outside of a neighborhood called Manayunk, which is technically part of the city, but not part of the city proper.

Run: 4 miles today and yesterday. I am getting slower and slower and needing to walk/shuffle up hills, which is fine and expected, but it means I have to get up earlier to get my run in, which is (not-so)nicely dovetailing with later sunrises. Meh :meh: But I'm happy to still be doing what I can do.
Food: Tomatoes are getting good again, so I'm making a lot of cucumber/tomato/feta salads. I made a big batch last night and had leftovers for lunch today, alongside some chicken and lentils.
Blather: If you remember me complaining about the lack of progress on our house, things have improved. I took matters into my own hands, and reached out to the local FB community for suggestions on contractors. After a few consultations, literally one week later, all of the holes in our house are filled and ready for paint. It's amazing. There were dozens. DH was a little salty about it, but now acknowledges that I was correct. :blush:

Bonus: Thin in summer, thick in winter. I wear Smartwool socks year round, and I find that the thicker socks have a tendency to bunch up when my feet are sweating a lot, whereas the thinner socks do not.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-26 2:28 PM
Goats! :shocker!::laugh:

Glad the house stuff got resolved quickly!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:48 PM
Some areas in NYC, parks in Brooklyn and the Bronx, are using goats to control overgrowth. Pretty cool, but I can just see some new goat curry places opening very close by...:laugh:

Good for you for getting the work done! Why are reliable contractors so hard to find?

I love Smart Wool, used to wear them all the time, but the thin ones I like seem to get holes in the big toes almost immediately.:sad:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-26 7:24 PM
I am getting slower and slower   :happy::happy: but for such a nice reason :hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-26 7:33 PM
goats are also used around here by the city to clear foliage. i love seeing them on city property! :laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-27 5:56 AM
The town where I grew up had several oil refineries and one of them kept goats to eat the grass around the storage tanks.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-26 1:21 PM
Big time recovery day today.  5 mellow miles in less-oppressive humidity.  Boy, was I ever grateful.  Yesterday was a kickass interval session with 6 x 1/2 miles in a 77 degree dewpoint.  It was not fun.  We had fun at trivia last night.  Our score was worthless, but the company was good.  When we congratulated the husband-wife team who beat us (again :roll:) I took a moment to visit with them as I was pretty sure I'd seen them at Santa Ana a couple of weeks ago.  Turns out we already knew each other through Birds of Texas on FB.  Last year when we were trying to capture a wounded anhinga, she had offered the use of their kayak.  Although we hadn't been able to save the poor bird, I had always appreciated her willingness to help us and an imperiled bird.  It was fun putting the pieces together and realizing we were already acquainted. 

Many would consider our area rural though we are actually a city hub for the rural area that surrounds us.  If you've ever wondered, we have three growing seasons here.  Main crops are sugar cane, onions, broccoli, beets, cotton and cilantro.  We do have some old growth live oak trees.  when they get moved out, mesquite trees grow instead.  Today's fun fact is that the tree leaves here are never wider than 1/2" 

Food & drink consists of cleaning out the refrigerator and setting aside what we want to go with us on the camping trip.  Three more days until we hit the road, but it seems like forever. 

Bonus:  Thin socks, definitely
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-26 4:50 PM
Trivia night sounds like fun!

Camping!:hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-26 7:32 PM
count down! that's great that you really do "know" the couple.  :happy:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-26 7:30 PM
day of from my normal job so i slept in. :grin::hug: breakfast with my mom and then we went to the deep water exercise class (ie aqua jogging). :grin: my running partner (who is not running right now :sad:) joined us and my mom is loving having her come.  :laugh: came home to work some (a blog on aqua jogging :roll:: pbbt:) and work in the garden and shovel out the bedroom where i shoved everything when we cleaned the rest of the house for having guests over last weekend. :laugh::blush: DH has had double duty today with his dad and has been at teh skilled nursing facility both for lunch and dinner. i try and go at least once a week but this wasnt' the day that was going to work. :sad:

we live in what would be considered urban but at some point this was a suburb of seattle. seattle has lots of little neighborhoods and this does have a developed neighborhood although no grocery within walking distance because of a big hill. we do live near some wooded areas because seattle has some hills (ravines really) and they are "green spaces" and left to natural state of woodedness (that's a word right!).

bonus: for years i was thick socks as i like the cushioning but i switched to thin socks last year because of shoe fit issue.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 8:17 AM
Wait, who's writing the blog on aqua jogging? You or your mom?

How's FIL doing at the nursing facility?
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 11:25 AM
me.

he's had two falls at the facility. :meh: and the meeting they had with the whoever person was not at all helpful. FIL is definitely doing better but still not sure what the future looks like at this point.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-27 11:28 AM
Can you share your blog?
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-27 1:30 PM
link
we just finished a 12 week blogging round for a beginner half marathon training program. the aqua jogging is still under edit plus i need a photo. :roll:: pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-27 3:18 PM
Cool, I'll check it out! :cool:
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-07-26 8:08 PM
I live in a somewhat rural area.  It's just a couple of streets in any of three directions to get to national forest land.  The trails are highly controlled, so there are a lot less than one would expect.  Most of the trails go uphill.  I prefer to run the one named Railroad Grade Trail. :laugh:

From my house I believe that I can hike to both Mexico and Canada without having to see a single stop light.  You'd go from my house to the trail to the Tahoe Rim Trail, and from there to the Pacific Crest Trail.

My lot is pretty small - 100x100.  When I first moved in I had only one of eight nearest neighbors.  It was nice.  After being here for 16 years, suddenly I had 3 of 8 nearest neighbors.  That's a really bummer when you were used to the open space.  Of the 5 lots left, two are California Conservancy lots - which means they are not supposed to be built on.  You never know though - whenever the Conservancy needs money it seems like they sell stuff they are not supposed to be selling.  2 of the remaining lots are owned by the same person - they have 3 lots in a row with a house on the furthest one from me.  I assume they might be saving them for the kids, but i don't know that they have any kids.  The lots would probably sell for a quarter million at this point, so there is a lot of money sitting there.

The woods here are primarily Douglas Fir, Jeffery Pine, and Western Red Cedar.  Some of the areas around the creeks have Aspens, but not too many.

Logged in about 6.5 miles today.  I ate some yogurt afterwards.  I might even open a bottle of wine tonight.

Bonus:  I've been wearing two pairs of socks for quite a while - Thinner Injinji's underneath and Wright Double's on top.  It hasn't eliminated blisters, but seems to be the combination with minimizes them.  Of course, I got a blister today, so I may start to try just some thicker wool socks again and see how they do.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-27 8:20 AM
I've always wanted to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail. Doesn't the ultra around Lake Tahoe run on that?
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-07-27 10:17 AM
The Tahoe Rim Trail 100 runs on a small part of the trail.  The race course is only partly on the TRT.  It basically just runs up and down a hill.  http://www.tahoemtnmilers.org/course-map.html
Up Topic Training / Marathons / What's Happening Wednesday? Daily!