Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / It's the Monday Daily..maybe Friday, Saturday & Sunday too!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-24 10:04 AM
We've been daily-less for several days so let's catch up!

Post your run, workout, etc...you know what to do!

Bonus:  Did you ever "stage" a finish line photo?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-24 10:14 AM
So, I did 1600 meter swims on Friday & Sunday and 2.5 hours of yard work in the HOT on Saturday.  This morning I taught cycling class & then did core & shoulder exercises.

Yesterday I was tracking a few people I know that did Ironman Lake Placid.  A man & woman in my Tri club...who sometimes ride in my cycling class...and who are also engaged and have both run IMLP the past 4 years, caught up with each other ~mile 12 in the run yesterday and ran the rest of the way together!  It's the only time they have finished together and while he certainly didn't need the help she carried him piggyback style across the finish line!    :shocker!:

Bonus:  No but when I ran my marathon PR I knew the finish line photo would show the time on the clock and I'd likely buy it so I consciously took several steps after the finish line before reaching down to stop my watch so I wouldn't have a photo of me looking at my wrist..  Of course, that was the exact moment they took the photo :roll:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-24 1:09 PM
she carried him piggyback style across the finish line! 
:shocker!: Who has that much energy left at the end of an Ironman? That's seriously impressive.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-24 2:09 PM
Methinks they should have pushed harder in their race!  :laugh:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-24 1:08 PM
Friday: exhausted from long workweek. slept in instead of hitting the bike
Saturday: still exhausted. decided to postpone long run till Sunday. Got a massage instead. Apparently I had massive knots in my upper back and it was the most painful massage ever! When it was over I felt like I had been beaten with a baseball bat! I was still really sore yesterday and only a bit less so today. Guess I should get massages more than once per year.
Sunday: 16 miles. It was supposed to be 2 easy, 4 MP, 2 tempo, then repeat, but it was hot and super humid and there was no way the workout was happening. After the first 4 at MP, I tried to speed up to tempo, but my gallstone started hurting really bad because I was pushing so hard. I backed down to MP, then after my 2 easy miles I couldn't even speed back up to MP, so I ran the rest of the run at easy pace. I did notice that I was running way more relaxed in the upper body due to the beating/massage, so that was a plus. Fiance and I then visited another potential wedding venue and decided to get married over Thanksgiving weekend of this year instead of next spring. We have a few more venue tours this weekend and then we will settle on something and get the real planning started.
Today: torrential downpour at 5am and then again at 6, so no workout this morning. I will run 4 after work.

Bonus: I've never staged a finish line photo. I have held off from hitting my watch for a second in the hopes of getting a normal-looking photo though.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-24 2:11 PM
That sounds like a tough long run even if you not exhausted or sore. Good luck with the wedding planning. Will you be serving turkey day leftovers?!  : pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-24 3:08 PM
We are looking to save $$ any way we can! :laugh:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-24 3:53 PM
OK, I don't know a great deal about this, but you run WITH a gallstone?  Isn't it the kind of thing you try to smash up and get dissolved??  I can't believe you could run 16 miles :shocker!:  You're a fierce one!!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-24 5:26 PM
I have had a gallstone for years apparently, they found it a few years ago when they were looking for something else. :shocker!::laugh: My gastroenterologist said it was so big that it must have been growing for a long time, but that since it didn't bother me he didn't want to do anything about it. He said the drugs to dissolve it would take a REALLY long time since it was so big, and he didn't want to give me surgery to get rid of it since that's invasive and no need to do unnecessarily. In the past 6 months or so it has been hurting when I run hard. I have an appointment with my doctor in September and I am definitely going to bring this up to him!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-25 4:48 AM
If it's bothering you when you run hard, it's likely now big enough that it's going to start problems just running at all (and at other times). Since you stone was/is near the size of mine, I'm betting he'll suggest you have it out at this point. You could do like I did and have it scheduled for the day after a marathon to do both recoveries at the same time : pbbt::laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-25 9:57 AM
:laugh: Perfect plan!
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2017-07-24 4:27 PM
Yesterday really sucked for running long.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-24 7:17 PM
Yikes! That is a tough long run. :shocker!:

Upper back massages are the worst, I always have horrible knots. :cry:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-24 1:13 PM
No run today, though I did get to the planet of fitness for legs, core, and stretching. Trying to add some extra leg days in there to strengthen things up. I did get out for a 6 mile trail slog jog hike with the lady yesterday at Birdsboro watershed. Humid and moist out there. Golf on Saturday but that does not count as exercise since I did not walk. My putting stunk. Seems I three putted almost all the greens I hit in regulation. My knee feels surprisingly good today but I will resist the temptation to run. I've been rolling the heck out of the quadriceps attachment as part of my diagnosis is quadriceps and patellar tendinopathy.

Bonus: I don't think so, well other than Steamtown 2008 where I finally got that marathon PR and 3:05 goal time. I did the classic "hands in the air Ryan Hall arm pantie" pose san the arm pantie. Cracked me up I ended up in the Scranton paper. RogerE caught that one. Linkie
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-24 2:53 PM
So much for my theory about golf aggravating your knee.  I guess that's a good thing. 

Nice PR, and in Scranton :cool:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-24 2:08 PM
Friday: 5 miles
Saturday: 4.6 miles and then an early departure (7:00) to pick up kiddo #3 at camp
Sunday: Exhausted, took an unplanned rest day
Today: 6 miles. Still not feeling great.

Bonus: Family reunion, way back in 2003. We had the traditional "road race". I won by a wide margin. My aunt and her friend were at the finish line. The course was supposedly a 5K, but it was more like 2 miles. So my aunt wasn't expecting me so soon, and actually had her back turned when I finished and didn't see me coming. After I finished, I turned around and asked her "Is this the finish line?" She was surprised to see me and realized she had missed the photo opportunity of me crossing the line. So she had me "finish" again and snapped my picture. Except it came out blurry. Then she had me "finish" again, this time at about half speed. So yes, that was definitely a staged finish line photo.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-24 2:50 PM
Well hell, why the exhaustion?  Hope the energy comes back!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-24 2:49 PM
Saturday:  LR with RP :hug:  Her longest race has "only" been a half-marathon, and I've felt bad pushing for 14 miles these past few weeks.  Saturday I thought we'd just shoot for 13 and keep her from getting discouraged.  At about 11 miles, she figured out the mileage and suggested with add to get to 14 :laugh::laugh:  Turns out, she's been sharing her mileage totals with one of her sisters who is training for her first marathon, and is super competitive :mischief: so I got one more 14 miler.  I can't believe my good luck, finally finding someone who's on the same page :cool:  

Sunday was a tough 8 miles.  It was humid but windy, which is about as good as it's going to get here until, I dunno.....October, maybe?  So I tried to add on a mile more.  I'm amazed at how difficult a single damn mile can be at times :roll:

This morning was an easy and uneventful 6. 

Bonus:  old story, disregard if you've seen it before : pbbt:.  My first Boston, (2000) I heard we'd have our pictures taken as we approached the finish line.  It had been cold the entire day, and I was wearing a old pair of socks on my hands, expecting to warm up and throw them away somewhere on the course.  As I made the turn onto Hereford, I decided to take off them off so I wouldn't look like a dork in my finish photo.  I did get a pretty nice finish photo, but I also got one of me on Hereford with my hand jammed in my mouth, pulling off the sock/glove with my teeth.  My first Boston.  Classiest pic ever.  Very classy.  Yeah.  Very.  :roll:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-24 3:08 PM
Your bonus :laugh::laugh::laugh: I haven't heard that story before, that is priceless!!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-24 7:14 PM
:laugh: I had not heard that either.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-24 9:25 PM
:laugh::laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-07-24 3:53 PM
I was up in rogereland this weekend. It was humid but still pleasant. The lake was perfect temp for swimming. I did the knee board and for the first time was able to get myself up. It was a lot of fun. Now my wrist hurts.: pbbt:

Run Sat was 5 miles, Sun was 6. Today was 8 on the TM.
I am on vacation this week. Sort of turned into a staycation, as they started the kitchen renovation...finally. It is gutted!:shocker!: I will try and get some days in rogereland with my mom (my sister is on vacation on a cruise in Norway). I have a wedding in NJ on Saturday and will be meeting a friend in NYC on Friday. Maybe I'll plan a real trip for my week off in December.

Bonus: When Doughboy, JohnH and I ran NYCM together in 2005, we tried to raise our hand together as we crossed. I think it came out OK.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-24 7:14 PM
Woohooo. New kitchen! :cool:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-24 9:24 PM
a staycation sounds very nice especially with some fun things planned. how long will the new kitchen take?
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-07-25 7:31 AM
I don't know. Longer than I want, probably.: pbbt: Once the cabinets are i, they will measure for the counter and then it is another 2 weeks. I hope by Labor Day since I will have guests!:shocker!:
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-07-24 4:25 PM
I will play catch up too.

Friday was 7 miles with a 5:53 last mile.

Saturday was an easy 8 in very warm conditions.

Sunday was 18 miles in the soup. It was brutal outside even at 5:30am.

Today is a rest day. Taking Monday's off to try and stay healthy until I can't cram the weeks mileage into 6 days anymore.

I'm making an attempt at getting back into marathon shape, lots of work to do.

I have the finish photo from every marathon I have ever run. Some photos are good but most have me looking down at my watch.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-24 5:28 PM
Do you have a goal race that you are getting in shape for! Nice job on the 18 in the soup!!
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-07-24 8:23 PM
Philly is in 17 weeks, but who's counting. I ran 3:06 there in 2015 in very windy conditions, so if I could duplicate that, I think I would be happy with that for a comeback race and be able to build off of that for a Spring race. I will run a half in September and see where I'm at.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-25 9:58 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-24 7:12 PM
Heloooo!

Today was a day off. But I had  a spectacularly shitty run yesterday. :cry::laugh: Apparently I do it every year as my FB memories indicate. :p

Bonus: No, quite the opposite, I excel at doing something that looks  completely ridiculous in photos or the "thank goodness I am done, I am too tired to even smile" look.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-24 9:23 PM
the finish line seems like a very silly place to put  a camera. mile 2 of a marathon would be much better. :laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-24 9:23 PM
good and busy weekend with some fun times in there. i crewed a group run saturday so that was a planned day off for me. Then dh and i came home to scrub the house clean as we had the neighbors, my mom AND dh's mom up for appetizers, wine and cheese. we love doing this with the neighbors who are so fun to chat with. for the first time dh's mom could join us and do something other than go to the skilled nursing facility. latest news on dh's dad: he's had two falls at the facility. and the aides seems unwilling to report this even bordering on trying to pull the wool over the eyes DH's dad. :mutmad: and yet again, this is confirming he's not anywhere close to being able to go home (falling even with assistance) yet the facility has been extremely frustrating. :meh::sad: 

even though i very much enjoyed myself saturday evening i did not need a research run sunday. :grin: and finally got back out onto real trails. and even then is was an easier trail and i was runnign with someone who is a lot slower than i am but it was so nice to get out there! i think the last time i ran on trails was last september/october. why so long? stupid marathon training, very poor weather this winter and then i was having that weird ankle/foot issue that i absolutely did not trust to trails. so happy to be back! 

this am, i ran 5 at the track for 6 x quarter mile repeats. i honestly wasn't sure what to aim for but was very consistent 1:50 except for the last one which was 1:43. i was pretty cautious to start but i think i could probably be a bit faster.  :happy:

bonus: nope except that i always aim for the fake it til you make it finish. :laugh:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-25 7:57 PM
Frustrating about DH's dad. The facility sounds very sketchy.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-26 7:41 PM
it was recommended by a surgeon at the hospital. we think she may have gotten special treatment. :meh: nurses seem to be great. aides? not so much and horrible communication issues.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / It's the Monday Daily..maybe Friday, Saturday & Sunday too!