Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Let's have an early Thursday Thread
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 5:26 AM
Here it is, nice and early.  Tell us about your workout and all the other details of your day.  Please include blather if possible.

Bonus:  what (if any) dishes are (were) in your kitchen sink this morning?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-20 6:15 AM
I have walked the dogs and made blazerboy a smoothie so far this morning. Heading to the airport soon as I am going to Portland.....Oregon Marathon is Saturday. Of course I am super busy at work, but I think I have things duct-taped in a manner to be gone for two days. I hope.

Meeting mogulgirl/Carolyn late today and SeoulRunner/Cindy arrives tomorrow. I anticipate the marathon will be a bust, but we all have a ton of fun together, so who cares?

Bonus: I ran the dishwasher last night before bed so NONE!
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-07-20 7:26 AM
Who holds a marathon in late July?  I know it's Oregon, but still ....
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-20 7:59 AM
This is my third July marathon as I have las run San Francisco and Missoula. A better question is "Who is stupid enough to run a July marathon?" :roll: This is basically our girl weekend which is interrupted by a marathon.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-20 12:21 PM
Who is stupid enough to run a July marathon and a September one too?

I will be watching your Untapped feed to see which beers you like.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-20 7:44 AM
Have a safe trip, a nice race, and plenty of craft beer!  :happy:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-20 8:00 AM
Thanks! I am very much looking forward to trying lots of new beers!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 9:11 AM
Sounds like fun! Hope you have good weather.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2017-07-20 9:43 AM
You are gonna have a great weekend!!! :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 10:17 AM
Have a great weekend!! :cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 10:48 AM
Safe travels and happy running to you all!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-20 1:23 PM
have a blast! :cool::laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-20 7:30 AM
No workout yet.  Will teach indoor cycling class this evening.  Maybe do some shoulder PT exercises at home.

Lunch will be at a dinner in Northeast Philly with some peeps I used to work with.  Dinner will be at an Italian pizzeria/restaurant with some guys I used to run with. 

It will be HOT here today!  Already 85 degrees at 9:30am! :cry:

Bonus:  None because like with blazer, all of our dirty dishes were in the dishwasher getting clean while I was sleeping overnight. Two days worth of the now clean dishes, silverware, etc. were put away before breakfast.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-20 7:48 AM
I dislike emptying the dishwasher at breakfast time. Well, I guess I dislike it at any time!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-20 8:00 AM
It is such a nice feeling t have all the dishes clenched in the morning, isn't it?
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2017-07-20 9:44 AM
It's restaurant day!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 10:53 AM
Speaking of Philly, DIL entered the Philadelphia Marathon yesterday.  If she really does it, it will be her first.  After she signed up, she started worrying about whether or not there are hills :roll:

Have fun with your group!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:05 AM
There are a few short hills, but it is definitely not a hilly race. It's a great one!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-20 1:40 PM
Hills...shmills!  It's flat!!!

I couldn't find the course map on the race web site.  Sometimes they have to "tweak" it due to construction but I don't think it will have changed much, if any, from last year now that they have run the half & full on separate days.  There's a hill on 36th street around mile 7 or 8 and another before mile 9.  There's an "upslope" after 20 miles after turning around on Main St. in Manayunk and in the last mile after Boat House Row it's a slight uphill along side the Art Museum.  None of these are serious hills!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-20 7:43 AM
The plan is planet of fitness at lunch for weights and stretching. I am sort of ambivalent about exercising at this point but need to stick with it. I did jog/shuffle/walk about 5 with the Lady out on the trails of green lane last night. We took the easy red loop, shortened version, but it did not feel short. It was warm and humid but hey it's summer and that's what happens.

Bonus: None. I like a clean/empty sink before bedtime, actually after any meals. Dishes belong in the dishwasher or cupboards, not the sink.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-20 8:01 AM
I agree with your dish theory, but the other members of my family have a different view.:roll:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2017-07-20 9:47 AM
I'm sure Lady is glad you are sticking with the exercise.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 9:08 AM
I ran Monday of this week, and that's it :meh: I had all-day sessions for work on Tuesday and Wednesday that I was moderating, which was completely exhausting, but I don't know if I would have gotten outside to run anyway. It's just so miserable. DH went out today for 20 minutes, and he looked like shit when he came home. His face was bright red, and he was sweating buckets. I'm getting antsy, though. It's hard for me to get to our gym on the weekdays, but I might try to do a 5:15 indoor spin tomorrow since it looks like the hot weather is here through the weekend.

I am quick posting before an 11AM meeting, but I have a ton of calls today. I am thankful they aren't in-person meetings, because I need a little 'alone' time in my office. For lunch, I have some leftover chicken and some grilled eggplant and zucchini from Monday night that I really, really need to eat. No other blather. I'm tired. Also, L turns 3 this Sunday :hug: Trying to think of something special to do for her, which is difficult, because all the cool stuff is outside, and when the forecast is for 95+ humidity... :wtf:  Maybe we'll just go out for pizza, which would probably excite her more than anything else.

Bonus: Funny you should ask. DH, who is the most organized person in the world (like our cabinets are like the guy's from Sleeping With The Enemy, for those who have seen it), is a complete SLOB when it comes to dishes. To give a few examples: 1. Every time he takes half a sip of water, he needs a new glass. I will reuse the same glass for days in a row OR, I'll just rinse out another glass that's in the dishwasher and use that. I think it's from when I lived alone and was really lazy when it came to dishes. 2. He NEVER puts things in the dishwasher, instead, preferring to "soak" every dish (even those that clearly do not require any soaking whatsoever). So if he has a bowl of cereal, instead of rinsing out the bowl and putting it in the dishwasher, he'll stick it in the sink and fill it up with water and leave it there. :mutmad::roll: Dude, it's not a lasagna pan. So to answer your question, there were two different Flyers cups (we have about 9 of these giant cups they 'give away' at games if you buy a 30 oz slushie or something) and a cereal bowl "soaking".
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2017-07-20 9:50 AM
Hi Cristen!

So are the Flyers cups your fine china? : pbbt:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:09 AM
You joke, but he actually owns a commemorative drinking glass from 1974, when the Flyers won the Stanley Cup. We don't drink out of it. It's displayed on a bookshelf. :roll:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 10:20 AM
Your bonus! :shocker!::laugh:

L is going to be 3 already? :hug::hug:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:44 AM
I know. She's turning into a real kid. :hug:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:27 AM
A three-year-old probably won't be setting the bar too high for a BD celebration.  Like you said, going out for pizza is a good thing for so many reasons :cool:

I think I was scarred for life by my mom's penchant for "soaking."  :cry:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:52 AM
Oh, I know. We aren't doing any kind of actual birthday party (outside of maybe having a small family BBQ in a few weeks), but we were thinking maybe we would go to a special park or playground for her. It is just so.freaking.hot :cry: I need to find a kids waterpark.

I don't think soaking really has a place anymore with modern dishwashers, except in extreme, burnt-on-lasanga circumstances.
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-20 12:11 PM
Good for you, too, for not started the escalating birthday parties! It's so hard to get out of once you set your kid's expectations to do more and more each year.

There's a guy here at work who "soaks" his coffee cup and oatmeal bowl in the office kitchen sink every day. Drives me nuts. Dude, you just ate the oatmeal. It hasn't crusted yet. And even if it had, get the scrubby sponge and get to work. And a coffee cup? You can't leave your shit in the shared sink.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 3:06 PM
That would drive me insane about the soaking bowls. I also think that it's gross - food particles in a bowl of stagnant water. Totally inappropriate for a shared sink.

I totally agree about the parties. We have gone to a few of some of her daycare friends, and they are :shocker!:  We went to one with a petting zoo and face painting for a 2 year old. :roll:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-20 1:22 PM
i never get soaking something at work. my former supervisor used to do this then she'd forget she'd left them in the sink and then she'd be out of the office (because she was always out of the office).  And she was head of facilities. :roll:

if you figure out why your Dh does that with the dishes, let me know. i suspect it's from growing up in a household where the mom put all dishes in the dishwasher mostly because she is super OCD about it. :roll::laugh:

Happy B-day L!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 3:03 PM
I suspect you are right about the root cause of soaking dishes in the sink. Also, laziness.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-20 6:53 PM
:laugh: Same here with N and new glasses for water. He uses the beer mugs so on any given day we have a couple of beer mugs in the dishwasher.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2017-07-20 9:40 AM
Workout: 1.5 miles with Bogey then eight 1/2 mile repeats then 1.5 mile cool-down <-- (okay that is a dumb term given the heat and humidity...).  I managed about 3:10 on my repeats and since the dewpoint was 76 I can't complain.

Nothing of real interest today; just work.  Me and Mrs. Rob and The Sarah are going to the Royals game tonight. :happy:  Playing in a golf tournament tomorrow.  I have a buddy who had a bunch of medical issues.  So we started a golf tournament for him several years ago and it has become an annual thing.  He was able to get a wheelchair accessible van a few years ago using the funds we had raised in the golf tournaments.  It is cool being able to see a direct benefit from the tournament instead of a charitable donation going to an organization and you never really see the benefit.

Bonus: 1 plate, 1 glass, 1 fork, 1 knife, 2 serving spoons and a spatula.  Sarah had Special Olympics Bocce last night so she ate later; after the dishwasher had been loaded and started.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 10:21 AM
Very cool about the golf tournament! :hug:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:27 AM
Nice workout!

Very cool about your friend.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:33 AM
DH and DS were watching the British Open this morning and one commented that something was "a good bogey."  The other suggested that there is no such thing as a good bogey, but I remembered you and your dog and insisted that, at least in Eastern Kansas, there truly is a "good Bogey." 

Do you help with organizing the tournament or do you just play it?   Either way, have a lot of fun!
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-07-20 1:05 PM
When I play golf, there are a lot of good bogies (if I'm playing well)
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 1:27 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-20 1:19 PM
that is a wonderful thing you were able to do and continue to do for the friend. :hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 10:09 AM
20 min tempo run with 1.5mi w/u and 1.25 mi c/d. Was aiming for 8:48 pace and came in at 8:53. I'm calling it a win with the terrible humidity and tired legs.

Blather: the work drama continues. A colleague that I consider a friend has turned into a completely different person over the past week or so. I am convinced she is a pod person impersonating my friend. :wtf: She has been super combative and has been dismissing me and another colleague, whereas before we all worked together really well and she recognized us as subject matter experts. We were next to each other in a meeting today and  she literally spent the entire meeting with her back to me. :wtf: And that's the the tip of it. It is very strange and it kind of makes me sad since (I thought) she is such a nice person.

Bonus: there are a few dishes left over from dinner last night since we ran the dishwasher right as we were sitting down to eat. And we are out of dishwasher pods so those dishes are going to start piling up! :shocker!:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2017-07-20 11:03 AM
Holy crap you used the word "pod" twice in the same post!  I don't know what a pod person is but it sounds terrifying...
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:38 AM
Is it possible that your former friend has had some sort of trauma or illness?  That is an extreme change!

About the tempo run:  I've held onto a comment I got from a coach years ago "It's more important to complete the workout than hit a particular number."
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 5:38 PM
My friend announced yesterday that she just had her physical and she was in tip top shape. But that was my first thought too.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:44 AM
Sorry about the work drama, and that is very weird and sad about your friend.
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-20 12:14 PM
You cannot go by prescribed paces in weather like this! That's a good workout.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-20 1:18 PM
how bizarre. :wtf:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:03 AM
The day got off to a good start since I woke up next to a beautiful woman.:hug: Yesterday was one of those rare days when all the stars magically aligned - my kids were all away and she didn't have her kids.:cool::grin:

I changed up the morning routine by driving to work first, then meeting a friend to run near work. 6.6 miles for me.

Bonus: I'm not sure what dishes I left in my sink since I wasn't home this morning. My girlfriend's sink had a couple of wine glasses in it from last night.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:15 AM
:cool:happy for you Tim
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:40 AM
Three cheers for a magical alignment of the stars!  .
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:43 AM
:cool: on everything

Does your work have showers?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 5:39 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:54 AM
I was up fairly early today and had no workout as it is my SDO.   First thing was taking our grandpuppy outside to relieve herself and then keeping her entertained while DS and DIL slept in, something we all needed thanks to polishing off a couple of bottles of wine last night :evil:  The rest of the morning was spent grudgingly helping them pack up their car and their pets and sending them back to Austin.  I'm :meh: to see them go, but it was a wonderful visit and it was great having company again :hug:

It is now too damn hot to do anything until much later in the afternoon, so I'm being lazy, reading, oh, and posting on runango!! :laugh:

Bonus:  We usually clear out the sink and countertops before going to bed.  When I first get up, I don't turn on many lights because, hey, I don't need no stinkin' lights so early in the morning.  This almost proved catastrophic today, as there were a couple of wine glasses in the sink and I did not realize they were there until I nearly knocked one over with the glass I was about to fill with water :shocker!:  Usually I put a little water in the bottom of a used wine glass and wash it out in the morning.  DS and DIL have a different clean up routine than I do, so I was not expecting to find stemware in the sink.  I have made a mental note for future reference.  Now let's see if I can remember it next time. :roll:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-20 1:17 PM
sounds like a really nice visit and you are so kind to keep grandpuppy busy!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 5:39 PM
Glad you had a nice visit! :hug:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-20 12:17 PM
5.5 miles today on the TM. It was too damn hot to run outside so to make the TM torture go by faster I did a progression run. It's been way too long since I've done any sort of workout so it felt a lot harder than the paces should be feeling. Rome wasn't built in a day so I've got to keep plugging away.

Our office move got postponed until next week so I'm going to cut out of work early to see Wonder Woman with my wife and middle daughter. Oldest daughter is moving from Louisville to Omaha today. Her boyfriend flew in and they are driving the truck with her stuff so we got off pretty easy.

Bonus: I think that the sink was empty this morning. Dinner was a pretty easy thing last night with most stuff warmed up in the microwave since it's so hot.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-20 1:16 PM
wait, but do you have nebraska already?

the high today is supposed to be 72. what's this too damn hot? : pbbt:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-20 1:46 PM
I don't have Nebraska but am signed up to do a small one at the end of September in Omaha so that I can check in on her. Cathy, Rob and Chris are also running it so It is turning into a nice sized FE.

The sad thing is that although it is too hot, we are having a much cooler summer that last year when we already had 17 days of 100 degrees or more by this same date. (We haven't officially hit 100 yet this year)
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 5:05 PM
Man, conditions must have been really bad for you to choose the TM :cry:.  Good job making it into a good workout.  Hope the weekend turns out better than you expect.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-20 1:13 PM
is it early? i had my alarm set to go off normal time for a run (4:45) and it went off. I fell back asleep by accident. :blush: so got up at 5;30 and had time for 3.2 miles. good enough. Evidently i'm still sleepy after ragnar. I was awake for 40 hours total so i guess that takes a bit of a toll. : pbbt: Legs felt a little tired after the lake water running too. We were in the water for just over 50 minutes yesterday.  Last time i got bumped by a fish and shrieked very loudly. This time no fish bumping. :laugh::shocker!::laugh::cry:

After much dithering, i decided to reward myself with a new ipad with the cash i got from the training group we just finished. it was a lot of hours between that and then ragnar. I'm so relieved to have a bit of a break. but in an effort to be more efficient... I am used to having 3 screens at work so when i try and work on my mac laptop at home i get so frustrated. Plus i wanted something larger to look at knitting patterns and books with maps/illustrations.  I can't wait to get home and play with it.  :grin:

bonus: the rice pot and skillet that had held the leftovers we had last night. plus Dh's cereal bowl and spoon. i cannot for the life of me figure out why dh has to put everything in the sink. after 30 years, i just let him because otherwise i would do all the dishes. he's the one home now so he deals with it but certainly not on my schedule. :roll:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-20 3:01 PM
It takes me a long time to recover from a day (or two) of bad sleep.

I think there is a recurring theme of DHs and cereal bowls in sinks :roll:
Parent - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-07-21 6:56 AM
Not this DH.  I'm on your side with the soaking.  At home I am against it unless it's really going to make a difference.  At work it's totally unacceptable
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-20 5:08 PM
I can't catch up on sleep deprivation in just one day.  On the contrary, it usually takes a day or two for it to really hit. 

Nice you get to treat yourself to the new ipad.  It will be fun!!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-20 5:41 PM
fish bumping :shocker!::laugh:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Let's have an early Thursday Thread